Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tummo: What's It Got To Do With Buddhism?

edited March 2011 in Philosophy
How does tummo/Inner Fire practice relate to Buddhist practice? How does it contribute to an end to suffering, or to Enlightenment? What's the connection? Why is it an important practice in Vajrayana Buddhism?

Comments

• Tummo
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tummo
  • Thanks, SherabDorje; always ready with an internet reference!

Tummo practice burns away ignorance and promotes wisdom? Is this a step along the path to Enlightenment, or Enlightenment itself?
  • well, if you really don't mind cold weather, doesn't that help to be free from suffering?
    maybe someone practicing tummo in an icy environment speaks more clearly about nirvana than other activities.
  • The Buddha didn't teach 'tummo' to overcome suffering.
    Inc88
  • there's no one suffering though. if there is no one suffering then there is no suffering.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh good grief.... :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2011
    Sure. Tell that to the victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

• life happens. then you can interpret it how you want.

• Wow ! Thank you for those wise words -I never knew that ! :eek2:
    Inc88
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @taiyaki, sometimes, although you may have words of wisdom to dispense, wisdom is further enhanced by knowing when to say them. If you pick the wrong moment, you just sound like a patronising idiot.

• you can project all you want yo. Lol
  • but on topic. i don't see how tummo helps with "the path"...though it may help in concentration?
    you can project all you want yo. Lol
    I rest my case. :rolleyes:
    but on topic. i don't see how tummo helps with "the path"...though it may help in concentration?
    Better.
    see?

;)
    BhanteLucky
  • =]
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    there's no one suffering though. if there is no one suffering then there is no suffering.
    There are these two things, mind and form. Mind suffers due to ignorance. There is suffering, there is a cause of suffering, a cure and a way to the cure. If you don't know these, you've much yet to learn! This is a nihilistic view of reality and goes astray of the Middle Path, not what the Buddha taught my friend. Some others who used to visit this forum were also of such a view and even claimed enlightenment, speaking of a perfect reality where there was no need for skillful thoughts, speech and actions.

Instead of pulling so far from there being people to there being no people, pull back only as far as mind and form. This will help you understand. Awakening isn't so very far away, it only takes a move in the right direction, followed by another, and another.

What teachers do best, I think, is perceive when we've fallen off the path to one side or the other, and attempt to steer us straight. While NewBuddhist isn't a place of "teachers" and "students", it is a collective where we can help each other avoid these same traps. Some choose to listen and deliberate each post, some choose to hold fast to views without flexibility. Our choice in this, whether we think we know all the answers or have room for improvement, will determine whether we get "stuck" or not!

Namaste
  • the cause to suffering is the view that there is suffering. how can the Mind that is clear from all defilements suffer?
    If there is no substantial "self", then there cannot be a substantial notion of "suffering".
  • what if you are suffering.. Then the view would be that there IS suffering.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @taiyaki, Only a mind free of all defilements does not suffer. The only way for there to be no suffering in the world would be if every mind were fully enlightened, free of the ten fetters. This is clearly not the case! The cause of suffering is not the view that there is suffering, it is craving based on ignorance. This is the First Noble Truth (that there is suffering), and it must be fully understood. Start from the beginning, don't be led astray.

We're not here to confuse people, and we especially don't want to confuse people new to Buddhism. If we're not expressing a Buddhist view, instead saying something like "there is only suffering if you think there is suffering", then this must be clearly indicated as a non-Buddhist view or must be corrected for the benefit of everyone else on the forum and possibly even the poster.
  • i'll just stop we are just way off topic. i am sorry!
  • it's not really fair that you can delete my posts.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    "If we're not expressing a Buddhist view, instead saying something like "there is only suffering if you think there is suffering", then this must be clearly indicated as a non-Buddhist view or must be corrected for the benefit of everyone else on the forum and possibly even the poster."

I think my point, though not expressed clear, was that we do have suffering. It might take some time but eventually we realize we are suffering. And then our thoughts fall in step.

It would take a lot of concentration to be in cold weather and I would want a house with a nice warm fire nearby to warm up.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Jeffrey, I wasn't replying to your post, sorry if that was unclear. :)
  • ah I was correcting myself more than anything.
  • we should find the resons of our suferrings. seeds and fruits
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    The Buddha didn't teach 'tummo' to overcome suffering.
    Hi Dazzle, can you please elaborate?
  • edited March 2011
    Hi Whoknows,

There isn't, to my knowledge, any record of the Buddha teaching 'tummo' in the Pali Canon.

As far as I know it was an Indian yogic practice adopted by Tibetans along with other later additions to Buddhism .
    Ah, OK now I know where you're coming from. Some believe that the Buddha has transmitted knowledge in other ways. One of those being transmission through a practise lineage. Another being direct transmission to the minds of meditators. Of course these aren't Pali sources :)

If I stretch my mind a bit, I can imagine that if a modern day meditator was to spontaneously "discover" tummo in meditation then there could be a few possibilities: direct teaching, previous life experience, causal coincidence resulting from the conditions at the time. The meditator may have even learnt this off the Buddha in a previous life when he was alive! But I'm not sure that such a thing could happen, but its fun to play with these ideas at times and challenge my mental close minded-ness.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    (maybe spontaneous combustion, eh WK? haha)
  • (maybe spontaneous combustion, eh WK? haha)
    LOL!
    @Cloud, That's hilarious!
  • Boy, this thread went off the rails fast and hard. Any thoughts about tum-mo, people?
    Sorry @SherabDorje .

My thoughts (noting I haven't been initiated into Vajrayana):
    I think that Tummo, Clear light yoga, sleep/dream yoga, illusionary body yoga are all designed to allow the meditator to experience the natural purity of the mind. I think that these different practises all point to the one result from different angles. As the intensity of experience increases the attachment to self diminishes, you could almost say the defilements are burnt away, especially in Tummo, though I think it may be relevant to the others as well. One thing I have read is that it is important with Tummo to be under the supervision of a authentic teacher, as it can be dangerous to the mind/body otherwise.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I'm with you, Who. I think tummo is part of a tantric practice whose goal is to reach a state of non-duality and a bliss state, Enlightenment in one lifetime. But the tantric practices are said to be dangerous, so yes, one needs to practice under a master's supervision, and have undergone preparatory practices. Here's what I'm wondering, though; once one reaches the bliss state by raising the Inner Fire, is that an enlightened state itself? Does it last once the practice is over, and one goes back to one's daily life? Judging by how often adepts practiced these rituals, it seems like they don't result in a permamently Enlightened state.
  • Hello, i'm french so i would like to say sorry for my english:-)
    Tummo is not a purpose but a "Samadhi"méthode like air in "anapanasati bhavana".
    It can lead to "Jhana" because it is a inside sign (a mental representation without external thing) so it can conduct to "nirvana".
    Moreover it's a element like earth water and air so it's good for "Anatta"
    lobster
  • Tummo from what I know involves yogic bandha, vigorous breathing and visualisation. It is used primarily by mountain ascetics to allow them to live and practice in remote caves. That allows them to do other secluded practices . . . This is the connection to overcoming suffering.
  • Don't forget the "bliss of inner fire" this is jhana.
    lobster
  • Tummo is in fact a practice taught at entry level in the Vajrayana...I have seen novice monks practicing it on the banks of a frozen Scottish river..it is not considered an advanced practice at all..
    Its use is as an introduction to the Higher Yoga Tantras of the Vajrayana.
    lobster
  • Did anyone ever answer the OP's question? Tummo is related to Tibetan Buddhism by the fact that raising the Kundalini is considered to bring about a bliss state that is likened to enlightenment in that tradition. But is it really enlightenment, or the illusion of enlightenment? And is it what the Buddha taught? No, it's a very sect-specific practice. I can see where the confusion would arise.
    Cinorjer

• Fire is a good element for meditation, you can found it in visuddhimagga, not only in tibetan buddhism, yoga is for make heatness occure and after you go in meditation and jhana.
    Nobody speak about enlightenlent, bliss is not enlightement, bliss is a tool for working on anatta, anicca and dukkha. They are eleven kind of fire in buddhism tradition, so if your meditation object is fire, it can't be a bad thing cause you look māra in his eyes.
    Fire is vipassana revelation.
  • Dakini said:

Did anyone ever answer the OP's question? Tummo is related to Tibetan Buddhism by the fact that raising the Kundalini is considered to bring about a bliss state that is likened to enlightenment in that tradition. But is it really enlightenment, or the illusion of enlightenment? And is it what the Buddha taught? No, it's a very sect-specific practice. I can see where the confusion would arise.

Yes, that is the best answer. Yoga allows the devoted practicioner to do amazing things with the body. After many, many years of meditation and practice, you can learn to raise and lower the temperature of your body by training the mind to take over the autonomic control of the brain.

Or you can put on a coat in the winter.

Both can be proof of a deep understanding of the Dharma, if you do it correctly.
  • Yadonashi said:

Fire is a good element for meditation, you can found it in visuddhimagga, not only in tibetan buddhism, yoga is for make heatness occure and after you go in meditation and jhana.
    Nobody speak about enlightenlent, bliss is not enlightenment,

A lot of TB literature talks about bliss as equating with enlightenment. Maybe these are oversimplifications, but if so, they're dangerous ones.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @Dakini, bliss is due to our sensitivity nature of mind. But what you are saying is an experience of bliss rather than the fundamental sensitivity.

It is called a nyam in Tibetan Buddhism. It is not enlightenment because it is impermanent. A practitioner should not get attached to nyams. Also not experiencing these should not discourage anyone. The proper use of nyams is as inspiration to use these glimpses and later stabilize them into realization of the fundamental qualities of mind. There are other nyams such as the infinite space in awareness.

So bliss as an experience is impermanent. The nature of mind is more fundamental to practice than experiences.

An example of using the nyam of bliss is to see that this feeling expands into space and covers every experience. Actually you can do the same thing with depression which also colors the whole world and expresses dullness on all things in space. The latter is why Trungpa said that depression was a valuable juicy experience.
    Sile