Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the energy of consciousness

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited April 2011 in General Banter
all of these reincarnation threads have got me thinking, it seems that there's always someone who says, "i believe in reincarnation because energy can be neither created nor destroyed." which makes sense, but i would like to take this one step further and ask, what makes you think that consciousness is a form of energy that is different than the basic energy that keeps our bodies working, keeps our muscles flexing, keeps our organs functioning, etc? we eat food, we break it down and it becomes energy, our bodies are designed to use said energy. this is the reason i am able to get up out of bed and type this, if i didn't eat, i would become weak and lethargic.

but the real question is, why would there be an energy of consciousness (or spirit, or soul, or whatever you like to call it) that is not gained by the food cycle that will persist beyond the grave? why would the energy that stimulates our mind, the energy we often identify as "self", be any different than energy gained from food? is the brain really such an unusual organ that we say that it runs on something different than the rest of our body? is there any science to prove this?

as i see it, when we die, our energy will not be destroyed... we will decompose and provide food for worms and nutrients for the land which will become more fertile and provide home for plants. is this not still employing the concept that, "energy is neither created nor destroyed"?

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    the Buddha did not describe consciousness as an "energy"

the Buddha described consciousness as sense awareness, of which there are six kinds, namely, eye, ear, nose, tongue, body & mind consciousness

the life energy or life force, the Buddha called "jiva" or "ayu" rather than consciousness (vinnana)

the Pali word for consciousness, namely, vinnana, has its root in the meaning of "knowing"

:)
    When this body lacks these three qualities — vitality (ayu), heat & consciousness — it lies discarded & forsaken like a senseless log

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.043.than.html
    'The six classes of consciousness should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. 'The six classes of consciousness should be known.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.148.than.html
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    the Buddha did not describe consciousness as an "energy"

the Buddha described consciousness as sense awareness, of which there are six kinds, namely, eye, ear, nose, tongue, body & mind consciousness

the life energy or life force, the Buddha called "jiva" or "ayu" rather than consciousness (vinnana)

the Pali word for consciousness, namely, vinnana, has its root in the meaning of "knowing"

When this body lacks these three qualities — vitality (ayu), heat & consciousness — it lies discarded & forsaken like a senseless log

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.043.than.html
    'The six classes of consciousness should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. Dependent on the ear & sounds there arises consciousness at the ear. Dependent on the nose & aromas there arises consciousness at the nose. Dependent on the tongue & flavors there arises consciousness at the tongue. Dependent on the body & tactile sensations there arises consciousness at the body. Dependent on the intellect & ideas there arises consciousness at the intellect. 'The six classes of consciousness should be known.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.148.than.html
    so you are saying that to support reincarnation based upon the scientific principle that energy can be neither created nor destroyed, is a statement that does not support what the buddha said about it?

or it could be that my terminology was wrongly used? i was using "consciousness" as a word for whatever it is that exists within us that makes up who we are at the core and attempting to draw a parallel between this and whatever would be transferred to the next life in reincarnation, but i'm thinking now that this term would only make sense when you are talking about this life. should i have just said soul? or perhaps, "the observer"?

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Just found this website talking about this

http://www.floridabuddhistvihara.org/Articles/article.jsp?article_id=15

its written by a Dr. Senaka Ranasinghe, who to be honest I have never heard of. Anyway some of the things he says sound logical, I'm not so sure about some other things tough. Anyway have a read yourself, see what you think.

Metta to all sentient beings

• Interesting article, z. Thanks.
    edited April 2011
    hi Zombie Girl

i am not sure what you mean by "whatever it is that exists within us that makes up who we are at the core"

but later day Buddhists have asserted consciousness in reborn and developed notions & terms such as "relinking consciousness", "the bardo", etc

but the Buddha himself did not teach such things

about reincarnation or rebirth, the Buddha simply taught what one becomes in the future is dependent on the actions performed in the past

the Buddha's intention was to free human beings from suffering

for many people, believing in rebirth can help free their minds from suffering & encourage them to live without causing too much self-harm & harm to others

kind regards

DD:)

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    zidangus, that article was interesting, but i think i'd have to read it through a few more times to really get it. it is written in a pretty dry textbook style, heh. way too much information for me to process at the moment, i'm afraid.

DD, i was trying to use a broad term for what people sometimes refer to as "the observer" if a person supports reincarnation, then they must believe that SOMETHING passes from this life to the next and that something would be the intrinsic you. people call this a lot of different things, such as a soul. but i think "observer" would probably be the best term i have heard of since it seems to point towards that little voice inside that you recognize as you. the ghost in the machine, or something like that.

but all this is sort of beside the point. my real question is why people support reincarnation with the concept that energy is neither created nor destroyed. to do so seems to imply that they believe that this observer/soul/whatever IS energy. and if that were so, then i wonder why this energy is somehow different and behaves in such a way that it can transcend lifetimes.

my personal view of the body and the mind is that it is simply a machine. just like the stomach's purpose is to break down food, the brain's purpose is to create thoughts and dialogue. the brain tricks us into thinking that there is more to it, that there is a self contained somewhere within, but it is simply carrying out it's own function. without the brain, there is no concept of self. and if you were to damage the brain, the self would change as well. injury to the frontal lobe, for example, can sometimes cause psychotic behavior. it makes me think that there is no self or soul or observer and we are all simply a manifestation of our particular brain, which could potentially change over time. this idea definitely doesn't lean toward any sort of inner observer that is capable of transcending lifetimes.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Dear zombiegirl,

It can be quite clear consciousness doesn't drive itself. It can't stand on it's own. Consciousness is happening with a cause. As DD pointed out, the Buddha didn't teach about a continuous everlasting consciousness. That's where the subtle difference between reincarnation and rebirth lies. The subtle difference not a lot of people can really grasp. So let me try to explain my view on this, might give you something to comtemplate.

A lot of traditions in Buddhism believe in rebirth. But they also say: Nobody really gets born, and nobody really dies. But there still is the process happening, you can see it with your own eyes. If somebody is death and you see his body, that is not the one you knew. Something has changed in them. Where did it go?

What drives it, this process of birth and death? It's our karma. Let's make an analogy. If somebody really loves milkshakes, they will buy them and get back to the Mc. Donalds a lot to buy them again. The craving for the milkshake drives them. They are like addicts who say the drugs have taken them over, it's not really their choice anymore. They keep coming back to the milkshake. It's the attachment to it that is a part of their karma to keep coming back. Time and time again, an endless samsara of milkshakes. :D

The same can be said about rebirth. If you are attached to life, your karma will get you reborn. It's not really you, like the craving for a milkshake is not the person who drinks a milkshake. If you can see through this and understand it is not really you who is reborn, you also understand that's the reason why the Buddha taught the way out of rebirth. And luckily karma doesn't just stand on itself, you can have an influence on it by meditation.

But how it works exactly in full detail, nobody really knows. The Buddha said it should not be pondered about too much. And that's why there are so much arguments on the subject and slightly different interpretations between various schools.

Also I see you make the analogy that the brain is the mind, who says this is true? I would say the brain is the body.

But to summarize: Consciousness is not the energy that provides new birth, it's karma, attachments.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • Zombiegirl, I think the answer is pretty obvious. They use the law of conservation of energy to legitimize their point of view. It is completely invalid. The law of conservation of energy is a physical law, you cant just take it and apply to beyond physical. You cant use a physical construct to explain something that isnt physical. The conservation of energy would state that when we die the energy created by the living body would transfer into the surrounding. Or if you like we could convert the heat into work and make a light bulb turn on.

You see this happening ALL the time, especially with quantum physics. Poor quantum physics has been hijacked for every sort of nonsense theory out there. Unless someone is a physicists trying to teach you quantum physics then listen, anyone else you can be sure they are wrong.
  • Sabre
    "Also I see you make the analogy that the brain is the mind, who says this is true? I would say the brain is the body."

Can you imagine one thing separate from another if they are the same thing? ie. can you imagine a smile without a body? Obviously not, because the smile is part of the body. So imagine you wake up one morning, groggy as usual and you stumble in to the bathroom. You look up at the mirror and you dont see anything. You dont see your body at all. Havent you just imagined your mind without the body? So couldnt we conclude that the mind and the body are separate?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Hi Ric!

Good one for correcting me a bit there. The mind and body are not separate, indeed. But neither are they the same thing. You can actually 'see' the mind without a body. Not in a mirror, of course :D , but you can in meditation. From that I personally wouldn't say the mind is just the brain and that's what I liked to point out. Trying to explain Buddhism with brain chemicals and hormones is probably not going to work.

If you are interested Matthieu Ricard and Allan Wallace (both Monks) have written and said interesting things about this subject.

Sabre
    sabre, thank you. you've given me much to think about.
    i am aware of the difference between reincarnation and rebirth, and this is why i specifically referred to reincarnation in my thread. but it seems that even the concept of rebirth requires a certain amount of faith. i do find myself wondering what the point is of supporting the concept of rebirth. i can frequently see the result of my actions in this lifetime, good and bad. it makes me wonder why i would need to believe that the karma will transcend to the next lifetime as well.
    but perhaps, to not believe in rebirth would mean that i likewise did not believe in enlightenment, because there would be no cycle to escape. i will have to think about this a bit. it seems i have increasingly become more and more realist and i have trouble accepting anything that cannot be proven. i tend to be a rather gullible person, so i think i am trying to counteract this by scrutinizing everything with a skeptical eye. i was once duped into following a religion that had a lot of illogical beliefs. i felt taken advantage of and somewhat embarrassed when i awoken to this reality and i simply do not want this to happen again. but thus far, i have not been able to put my faith in anything without answers. i'm not sure if this is helpful for me though, it actually makes me feel pretty disenchanted with most things.
    Zombiegirl, I think the answer is pretty obvious. They use the law of conservation of energy to legitimize their point of view. It is completely invalid. The law of conservation of energy is a physical law, you cant just take it and apply to beyond physical. You cant use a physical construct to explain something that isnt physical. The conservation of energy would state that when we die the energy created by the living body would transfer into the surrounding. Or if you like we could convert the heat into work and make a light bulb turn on.
    ric, you definitely summed up exactly what my problem with the theory was. people seem to think that energy cannot be destroyed, so naturally, reincarnation exists. but my problem was that the energy DOES go somewhere. scientifically, we already know this... so why would this theory point to evidence of reincarnation? i was waiting for someone to hop on here with a point i hadn't thought of, but now i see that i was simply confused because it isn't possible and doesn't make sense in the first place. hah.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Conservation of energy does not in itself support rebirth. Nor does it invalidate it.

It's simply not relevant to the concept - like gravity.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited April 2011
    but perhaps, to not believe in rebirth would mean that i likewise did not believe in enlightenment, because there would be no cycle to escape.
    If we define rebirth as moment to moment becoming (not a lifetime of a human), then there would be. :)

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirth_(Buddhism)#Rebirth_as_cycle_of_consciousness )
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    it makes me wonder why i would need to believe that the karma will transcend to the next lifetime as well.
    but perhaps, to not believe in rebirth would mean that i likewise did not believe in enlightenment, because there would be no cycle to escape. i will have to think about this a bit. it seems i have increasingly become more and more realist and i have trouble accepting anything that cannot be proven.
    You don't need to believe in it. If you can't accept it, fine. Then don't. :) You don't need to make a definite decision on where you stand on this issue. You can just have some doubt on the subject and forget about it, because it is not that important anyway. What you do right now is important, not what you will be in a next lifetime. You can see the fruits of your actions already in this life as you've said.

Like a teacher once replied when his student asked him: "What happens after we die?"
    Teacher: "I don't know"
    Student: "But you should know, you are the teacher!"
    Teacher: "Yes, but I'm not the dead teacher!"

haha :D
  • I would have thought the first clue is the idea that there is no essential self, unless you count the sperm and egg, the observable side of what is passed on.

The second clue would be impermanence. Everything has a tendency to move towards a highly disorganized state, so no matter what changes you make, the state is one of similar disorganization. You, on the other hand, are highly organized and any small change to the organism has a much bigger impact.

• Yes from what I have learned, the consciousness is the 6th sense and not a form of energy. When we die, it is true our energy we at the time have does not get destroyed. It gets transferred into the world around us, and in my opinion has nothing to do with rebirth.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    i do find myself wondering what the point is of supporting the concept of rebirth. i can frequently see the result of my actions in this lifetime, good and bad. it makes me wonder why i would need to believe that the karma will transcend to the next lifetime as well.
    You may see the results of your actions within this lifetime, but take a look around the world...lots of people get away with all kinds of mayhem, get rich by swindling others, etc., and don't seem to suffer. Belief in rebirth and a ripening load of karma waiting to fall on the reborn "consciousness" may be a comfort to people who look at situations like that and come a way believing life is unfair. Karma/rebirth offers hope of balancing the score.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Energy deals with relationships between observed phenomina. For example kinetic - moving energy is 1/2 the mass times the velocity squared. This goes up until the positional energy reaches a peak and it is always losing velocity as the positional - called potential energy - changes. The potential energy is related to the force of gravity and the distance from the earth.

This describes a ball thrown upwards and slowing to a peak and then returning downwards.

All of the energy is converted but it is all observed relationships. There is no such thing as inherently existing energy. It is all observed phenomina.

• ''You may see the results of your actions within this lifetime, but take a look around the world...lots of people get away with all kinds of mayhem, get rich by swindling others, etc., and don't seem to suffer. Belief in rebirth and a ripening load of karma waiting to fall on the reborn "consciousness" may be a comfort to people who look at situations like that and come a way believing life is unfair. Karma/rebirth offers hope of balancing the score.''

As the Buddha stated, you sow the seeds of your karma day by day, life by life. They may ripen the next day, the next life or 1,000 lifetimes into the future. You can dilute your karma by following the dharma and being a genuinely decent human being, but you cannot fix it.

• reality can be divided in 3 "essences": energy, matter and mind... but that's my opinion.
    edited April 2011
    Nobody really gets born, and nobody really dies.
    The Buddha did not teach like this in relation to rebirth. The Buddha did not teach rebirth & not-self together.

The Buddha taught rebirth because it promotes morality. If there is "nobody" reborn, then what incentive would there be to do good?

All of the rebirth teachings in the suttas teach an actual person is reborn.

If "not-self" is reborn, the rebirth teachings lose their purpose & effectiveness.

Then Ven. Sariputta and Ven. Ananda, having given this instruction to Anathapindika the householder, got up from their seats and left. Then, not long after they left, Anathapindika the householder died and reappeared in the Tusita heaven. Then Anathapindika the deva's son, in the far extreme of the night, his extreme radiance lighting up the entirety of Jeta's Grove, went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, bowed down to him and stood to one side.

As he was standing there, he addressed the Blessed One with this verse:

As for Sariputta:
    any monk who has gone beyond,
    at best can only equal him
    in discernment, virtue, & calm.

When this was said, Ven. Ananda said to the Blessed One, "Lord, that must have been Anathapindika the deva's son. Anathapindika the householder had supreme confidence in Ven. Sariputta."

"Very good, Ananda. Very good, to the extent that you have deduced what can be arrived at through logic. That was Anathapindika the deva's son, and no one else."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.143.than.html
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Nobody really gets born, and nobody really dies.
    If "not-self" is reborn, the rebirth teachings lose their purpose & effectiveness.

Why?
  • I question why too. Not self is not nothing, but rather it is the experience we are already having and misunderstanding as a non-composite self.
  • it is almost amusing that non-rebirthers hold on to the view that the Buddha lied about rebirth just because it promotes morality.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    oops.. buddhism is tricky,, I spun into paradox. And deleted my detour.
  • it is almost amusing that non-rebirthers hold on to the view that the Buddha lied about rebirth just because it promotes morality.
    I find it less amusing and more disheartening. I see rebirth as a verifiable fact based on dependent origination and meditative insight. Disbelief in rebirth is like turning a blind eye to the cycle of suffering. There is no doubt, in my mind, that rebirth is an actual function of reality. The only reason people doubt the existence of such a function is because they fail to recognize the depth and scope of both reality and Dharma, resting their conclusions entirely on physical science as apposed to personally verifiable analysis and inquiry through the use contemplative insight and flexible discernment.
  • Exactly I don't understand why "non-rebirthers" just can't accept that Buddha did teach rebirth. It is mentioned so many times in the Dharma that it has to be beyond reasonable doubt IMO. Wheather you believe in rebirth or not Buddha did teach it IMO.

• well, the question here was if conservation of energy proved rebirth. Not in the merit of rebirth as reality.
  • The conservation of energy does not "prove" rebirth. It is only one facet of reality that is used to explain certain scientific principles. It is a finger pointing at the moon. In the same way that all energy is conserved and blooms into new forms of energy, all karma will bloom and bear the fruit of renewed existence.
    it is almost amusing that non-rebirthers hold on to the view that the Buddha lied about rebirth just because it promotes morality.
    I find it less amusing and more disheartening. I see rebirth as a verifiable fact based on dependent origination and meditative insight. Disbelief in rebirth is like turning a blind eye to the cycle of suffering. There is no doubt, in my mind, that rebirth is an actual function of reality. The only reason people doubt the existence of such a function is because they fail to recognize the depth and scope of both reality and Dharma, resting their conclusions entirely on physical science as apposed to personally verifiable analysis and inquiry through the use contemplative insight and flexible discernment.
    yup. as i have mentioned, the point i'm at right now has somehow led me to be very dependent on physical science. to be fair, i would like to be able to branch out and have faith in something that cannot be proven scientifically... but i have never experienced this "personally verifiable analysis and inquiry through the use contemplative insight and flexible discernment." can you explain what such a thing entails? it just sounds like a lot of fancy words for thinking/meditating with an open mind and i've tried that. also, how is disbelief in rebirth like turning a blind eye to the cycle of suffering?
    Exactly I don't understand why "non-rebirthers" just can't accept that Buddha did teach rebirth. It is mentioned so many times in the Dharma that it has to be beyond reasonable doubt IMO. Wheather you believe in rebirth or not Buddha did teach it IMO.
    i'm not sure where my beliefs lie, but i think the confusion for me is that the buddha also taught that you should never believe anything just because buddha or anyone else said it. he says that you should only accept things once you find them to be true yourself. i'm not sure how to find rebirth to be true other than to just say, "well, the buddha also said not to mull over it too much." :)

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011

I'm not sure where my beliefs lie, but i think the confusion for me is that the buddha also taught that you should never believe anything just because buddha or anyone else said it. he says that you should only accept things once you find them to be true yourself.
    Of course Buddha taught us to analyze everything, but the teachings of Buddha come from direct insight, and rebirth is a big part of this insight. In the Dharma Buddha himself talks many times about previous life's before he became a Buddha.

If your referring to the Kalama Suttra then not everyone interprets it this as straight forward as some people make out.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/10162/implications-of-the-kalama-suttra-for-modern-buddhism#Item_9

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    it is almost amusing that non-rebirthers hold on to the view that the Buddha lied about rebirth just because it promotes morality.
    Oh, is that what those posts are supposed to mean? The Buddha went off on some tangent about rebirth, contrary to his own beliefs, just to teach morality? There are other ways of teaching morality. Sounds like somebody's desperately grasping at straws... But I haven't studied the suttras, so .... meh? :-/
    edited April 2011
    But I haven't studied the suttras, so .... meh? :-/
    Yes, you have not.

Nobody is grasping at straws (except your mind).

I have posted these suttas time & time again

Now, householders, of those brahmans & contemplatives who hold this doctrine, hold this view — 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves' — it can be expected that, shunning these three unskillful activities — bad bodily conduct, bad verbal conduct, bad mental conduct — they will adopt & practice these three skillful activities: good bodily conduct, good verbal conduct, good mental conduct.

With regard to this, a wise person considers thus: 'If there is the next world, then this venerable person — on the break-up of the body, after death — will reappear in the good destination, the heavenly world. Even if we didn't speak of the next world, and there weren't the true statement of those venerable brahmans & contemplatives, this venerable person is still praised in the here-&-now by the wise as a person of good habits & right view: one who holds to a doctrine of existence. If there really is a next world, then this venerable person has made a good throw twice, in that he is praised by the wise here-&-now; and in that — with the break-up of the body, after death — he will reappear in the good destination, the heavenly world. Thus this safe-bet teaching, when well grasped & adopted by him, covers both sides, and leaves behind the possibility of the unskillful.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.060.than.html
    And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html