Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ego and Buddhism

RicRic
edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Is Buddhism trying to eliminate the ego through meditation? I was just watching Louis Theorux documentary on Indian Gurus and there is a guy there who talks about destroying his ego. I have to say not only did he freak Louis out he freaked me out.

What do you guys think about the ego? and if you dont mind including a small definition of what you think ego is just so I can understand better.

To me ego is a sense of self, of the meaning you give to your life. Although I know its not a static thing but it is still me in the most personal of senses. If I chose to change directions, it is because I chose to do so.

and here is the video is anyone is interested.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    There are practices in Tibetan Buddhism aimed at "destroying the ego", done with one's teacher. The idea is to get self-clinging out of the way so that pure bodhicitta (compassion) can come to the fore. It's somewhat controversial. It's not everyone's cup of tea. The process tends to be seen as abusive, but Dzongsar Khentse Rinpoche says that when your ego is out of the way, then "there's nothing there to be abused".
  • www.enlightennext.com/magazine/j31/dzongsar.asp for an interview with Dzongsar Khentse Rinpoche on "destroying the ego".
  • I see the ego as one of the things you should kill. The ego is the cause of every war, of pretty much ever crime going, and for every act of selfishness, which causes suffering. The ego is something we are conditioned with, attached to, it is our identity. When we have an ego, we worry about what people think of us, we react with anger when somebody damages our ego. I would not mind trying the tibetan method, does anybody have any more detailed info on how the process is carried out? I would really love to not have an ego, it is key to the buddhist path IMO
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited April 2011
    what is destroyed is more egocentrism, arrogance, whinyness and similar.
  • which originates directly from the ...... image
  • which originates from a misunderstanding of reality.

as with the concept of deities; self has many aceptions.
  • www.enlightennext.com/magazine/j31/dzongsar.asp for an interview with Dzongsar Khentse Rinpoche on "destroying the ego".
    The link doesnt work.

• From the Dhammapada verse 279

"All things are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

• yes, so to see that there is no self and sure everything as empty in the ultimate of realisations, one becomes awoken..
    To see this you would not to 'do' which requires 'effort' one of the eight fold path. This cannot happen unless you try, however clinging to such a notion will not get you there as you are grasping. So, how does one get around this oxymoron
  • edited April 2011
    Ooops,sorry, I forgot the link, to read verse 279 in the context of the rest of Ch 20 read here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.20.budd.html
  • Great video, very educating, thanks

Hare krishna

:)

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I don’t think “ego” is mentioned anywhere in the sutra’s.
    The word is modern.
    The concept of anatta is not exactly the same thing, imho.

Ego is used as a word describing the deluded mind, I suppose.
    Especially it would refer to delusions about who I am (and about the importance of this delusional me).

Maybe Jung and his idea of individuation is the source of introducing the word “ego” in eastern spirituality?
    I could not find an answer to that right away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungian_interpretation_of_religion#Introduction_to_Jungian_psychology

• edited April 2011
    I don’t think “ego” is mentioned anywhere in the sutra’s.
    The word is modern.
    The concept of anatta is not exactly the same thing, imho.
    Anatta (not self) is the absence of ego

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    'Atta' in the scriptures is 'self', 'ego' , 'I making', 'my making'...all basically the same thing & all are delusion.

'I am' is a construing. 'I am this' is a construing. 'I shall be' is a construing. 'I shall not be' is a construing.

Construing is a disease, construing is a cancer, construing is an arrow.

By going beyond all construing, he is said to be a sage at peace.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.140.than.html
    That which is called "atta" or "self" corresponds to the Latin word "ego". If the feeling of self-consciousness arises, we call it egoism because once the feeling of "I" arises it naturally and inevitably gives rise to the feeling of "mine". Therefore. the feeling of self and the feeling of things belonging to self, taken together, is egoism.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_Heart_Wood_from_the_Bo_Tree.htm
  • edited April 2011
    www.enlightennext.org/magazine/j31/dzongsar.asp for an interview with Dzongsar Khentse Rinpoche on "destroying the ego".
    The link doesnt work.
    \Try it now. I modified it from ".com" to the correct ".org"
    I see the ego as one of the things you should kill.
    I think "killing" or "destroying" the ego is extreme, IMO. Ego-strength is what allows us to believe in ourselves, to have the confidence to realize our ideas and carry out projects or just to go to work and apply our expertise to tasks. The causes of war are often complex (access to oil or other resources, for example). Some cultures seem to reinforce exaggerated egos, others reinforce humility. This isn't a simple concern you raise, though it may seem so.

To answer your other question, "the Tibetan method" requires devoting oneself to a guru completely for an extended period of time. Other members have mentioned that there are Tibetan lamas in Thailand, so this might be available to you. First, you may want to read about the Tibetan saint, Milarepa's experience with the "method".
  • Yea I agree with you compassionate warrior. It seems like when you destroy your ego all thats left is a stupid grin. How can you push yourself to be your best in your great plans of your life ? How do you push yourself to get through an incredibly boring class without using the ego to keep pushing yourself?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hi Ric,

Buddhism surely is about destroying the ego. You might have heard about no-self, interdependence, form is emptiness, etc. We have all these seemingly confusing terms.. some other religions use God to give it a name, but in the first place they all mean the exact same thing which is the non-existence of the ego. I say non-existence because the funny thing is, it doesn't really exist, it is a delusion. It's a trick of the mind to defend itself. Thinking it is just a poor little thing that has to fight its own way through life.

It's the ego that holds onto fixed plans and finds the classes boring in the first place. So if it's gone, you don't need to worry about those plans or the boredom anymore.

With metta,
    Sabre :)
  • It's the simple difference between the conventional and the ultimate. While it's true that the "ego" is just an illusion, we need the ego in the conventional sense to interact with people and the world in general. It's when the ego becomes overgrown and inflexible and loses its fluidity and ability to adapt that problems arise. So the object is not to "kill" the ego exactly, but to understand what it is and be able to adapt. Even if a person has some sort of massive religious experience, a new ego arises that integrates that religious experience into its behavior. It's just a matter of balance.
  • I gather that the modern sense of "ego" comes from early translation of Freud's (German) writings. My understanding is that this translates the word "Ich," which just means "I." Terrible translation, in other words.

From a Buddhist perspective, trying to destroy the ego is giving it way too much credit.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    My teacher said that the term ego is not exist in Tibetan as Freud had described ego. She said that in her teachings ego is pride and it is not destroyed but rather we stop grasping to those arisings as substantial rather than passing.

Its ok to feel pride but it is a passing thing and we cannot fix it. The whole point of ego is that we can't fix it we just stop grasping. Cannot fix samsara.

• It's the ego that holds onto fixed plans and finds the classes boring in the first place. So if it's gone, you don't need to worry about those plans or the boredom anymore.

With metta,
    I didnt say they were fixed plans, but great plans. If you choose to become, lets say, a race car driver. Why wouldnt you want and try to be the best race car driver? What would make you practice day in and day out to become the best...isnt that the ego? So by removing the ego I would argue you remove the incentive to practice. Lets face it, you can enjoy something tremendously but still go through times where you rather be doing something else and the ego jumps in and gives you that final strength to practice just a bit longer.

The way I have successfully dealt with boring classes have been, understanding why I have to pass them, trying to find certain appealing things and generally speaking, manning up and stop thinking how bad they are and just do it.

I dont know, the more I think of it, the more I seem to like the ego. Like almost anything in life it can be either a curse or a blessing. I believe if you use it mindfully you can put it on the path of great achievements and happiness but if you let it run wild it will be a curse. It would seem like right ego is better then no ego.
  • "The way I have successfully dealt with boring classes have been, understanding why I have to pass them, trying to find certain appealing things and generally speaking, manning up and stop thinking how bad they are and just do it."

What you describe isn't the ego. The ego is what tells you your classes must always be enjoyable for you to do them!
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    There is a good article (link below) which kind of deals with this question in the context of the Buddhist path.

http://madhyamavani.fwbo.org/2/refugetree.html

Metta to all sentient beings
    edited April 2011
    I really like these quotes from the link I gave.

"So how do we overcome the ego? There is an old Zen saying: ‘If you want to control a wild bull, give it a big field to roam in’."

"In going for Refuge to the Three Jewels, to whatever degree we do it, we place our ego-identity within the field of the bodhichitta,the field of spiritual influence which radiates outwards from the great Refuge Tree, and the more we go for Refuge, the more fully and deeply do we locate ourselves within it."

• Zid

Thanks for the article. It really doesnt speak to me. Let go of your ego to embrace this "other power" and be a vessel for that. It seems like the answer to "how do you become the best race car driver?" is to give up being a race car driver and move on to more "important" things. I also dont go into all the Bodhichitta aspect, it just doesnt appeal to me.

• "manning up and stop thinking how bad they are and just do it."

Chogyam Trungpa, in his book Smile at Fear, refers to this as 'windhorse' an element borrowed from Tibetan shamanism.

"How do we proceed at this point on the warrior's path?
    The mechanism or technique that we use is to invoke windhorse,
    or lungta. The practice of windhorse is a way of casting out
    depression and doubt. It takes the form of a cheering up process.
    That is to say, invoking windhorse actualizes the living aspect
    of fearlessness and confidence."
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Thanissaro Bikkhu has a different outlook.....
  • SabreSabre Veteran

I dont know, the more I think of it, the more I seem to like the ego. Like almost anything in life it can be either a curse or a blessing. I believe if you use it mindfully you can put it on the path of great achievements and happiness but if you let it run wild it will be a curse. It would seem like right ego is better then no ego.
    Hi ric,

I see you typed you think you can use the ego? If you can let the ego run wild or control it, you apparently think the ego is something YOU have. And that sense of you actually owning something is exactly what is caused by the ego. Can you see it? :D

Yes, it's confusing. Trying to understand the ego through thinking it out just doesn't work. It's like a dog chasing its tail. You can run forever this way, just going around in circles. Actually, you can not do anything, because everything you do is the ego at work.. But even an intellectual understanding of that is not enough, so we need the insights we get by following the path to see through it.

And it takes courage. Ajahn Chah said something like: "Not a lot of people are willing to die to become free, sadly." Of course, he was talking about the death of the ego and not physical death.

May I suggest you read some books or listen to some talks by Alan Watts. He brings these teachings in a very inspiring and interesting way and it helped me a lot.

With metta,

• I think "killing" or "destroying" the ego is extreme, IMO. Ego-strength is...
    More speculative views....

Killing the ego is liberation & the essense of the Buddha's teachings

If we fight this, we are a warrior against the Buddha-Dhamma and just a moral crusader

:-/
  • Excellent article Fed.. I'll bring out a portion of it:

BECAUSE THE BUDDHA'S basic terms of analysis were actions understood under the framework of cause and effect, we have to understand his use of "self" and "not-self" under that framework. For him, "self" and "not-self" aren't metaphysical principles. They're mental actions that can be mastered as skills. This is why he was able to use both concepts freely in his teaching.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Thanissaro Bikkhu has a different outlook.....
    Interesting article.

I think he doesn't have a different outlook, but just emphasizes it should not be the main teaching, like teachers such as Tolle and Adyashanti always do. They keep talking about the ego all the time, like it is the force of all evil. If you think you ARE the ego, you begin to think you are the force of all evil.. And I can agree with Thanissaro Bhikkhu on that, of course this is not a very Buddhist way, because we should also be able to love ourselves and to hear about our bad ego every day could get us depressed. ;)

But in the end it all just depends on what you call ego. Do you call the ego you yourself and everything you are or is ego the view that you are a separate self? There is a difference here. That's why in Buddhism the word ego isn't really used that often, but we use non-self instead. That might change a word, avoiding confusions, but doesn't really change the essence of the teachings.
  • Zid

Thanks for the article. It really doesnt speak to me. Let go of your ego to embrace this "other power" and be a vessel for that. It seems like the answer to "how do you become the best race car driver?" is to give up being a race car driver and move on to more "important" things. I also dont go into all the Bodhichitta aspect, it just doesnt appeal to me.

No problem Ric,

I thought the article was good, especially the great metaphors used. Anyway it made sense to me and I could relate to what it was saying.

edited April 2011
    Ego-strength is what allows us to believe in ourselves, to have the confidence to realize our ideas and carry out projects or just to go to work and apply our expertise to tasks.
    The Buddha taught there a five aggregates & that each aggregate should be regarded as "this is not me", "this I am not","this is not myself".

One aggregate is called the "sankhara" or "formations" aggregate. This aggregate allows us to carry out projects or just to go to work and apply our expertise to tasks. It can function quite well, in fact better, without ego.

As for confidence, the Buddha taught jhana & enlightenment provide the supreme confidence.

• From a Buddhist perspective, trying to destroy the ego is giving it way too much credit.
    True. But this does not refute the original video.

The less ego, the more bliss. The less ego, the more liberation.

:om:
    edited April 2011
    Ajahn Chah said something like: "Not a lot of people are willing to die to become free, sadly." Of course, he was talking about the death of the ego and not physical death.
    Indeed. This is why the Buddha taught about the rebirth.

However, it is not about being "willing" to die. I disagree with Ajahn Chah here. It is about "seeing" the need.

On this thread, the same, like Moral_Crusader, who are warriors for rebirth are warriors against killing the ego.

:eek2:
    In Pali, "I" is atta and "mine" is attaniya; or, if one uses the terms in general use in Indian philosophy, ahamkara meaning to have the feeling of "I" (stemming from the word aham, "I"), and mamamakara, meaning to have the feeling of "mine" (stemming from the word mam, which means "mine").

The feelings of ahamkara and mamamkara are so dangerous that they are called the spiritual disease, and every branch of philosophy or dhamma in the Buddha's time wanted to wipe them out.

Even though they were followers of other teachings, they all had the same aim of wiping out ahamkara and mamamkara. The difference lay in that when they eradicated those feelings, they called what remained the True Self

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_Heart_Wood_from_the_Bo_Tree.htm
    edited April 2011
    It's the simple difference between the conventional and the ultimate. While it's true that the "ego" is just an illusion, we need the ego in the conventional sense to interact with people...
    no

the "ego" is always an illusion and the "ego" that interacts with people is just a mental formation

it is mental formations interacting rather than an "ego"

on this thread, the same, like Moral_Crusader, who are warriors for rebirth are warriors against the mental formations view of "ego" and "past life memories"

edited April 2011
    If we abandon all our ego, then we must abandon desire. Which is fine if its unhealthy desires. However, what about the desire to help others ? or the desire to follow the Dharma, or other healthy desires. Surely we must need some sort of ego to be able to follow the Buddhist path in the first place. Hence, is it not vital that a person has some sort of say ego until they reach a stage on their path that has surpassed the need for it.

• "the "ego" is always an illusion and the "ego" that interacts with people is just a mental formation

it is mental formations interacting rather than an "ego""

I agree but lets keep this an ego thread not a rebirth one. Thanks.
    edited April 2011
    There are practices in Tibetan Buddhism aimed at "destroying the ego", done with one's teacher. It's somewhat controversial. It's not everyone's cup of tea.
    If one must practise with a teacher, is sounds more like brainwashing to me, like a child with a parent.

Destroying the ego is the essence of the Buddha's teachings. It is not at all controversial.

The enlightened disciples of the Buddha practised alone and ended ego in their meditation.

But, yes, it's not everyone's cup of tea, which is why the Buddha taught rebirth to those who do not see the need to follow his teaching, but instead, needed to follow the pre-existing Brahmin or Hindu teachings.

On this thread, the same, like Moral_Crusader, who are warriors for rebirth, are warriors against destroying the ego.

:lol:
    Ven. Sariputta said: "Friends, there is nothing in the world with whose change or alteration there would arise within me sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair."

"Surely," [said Ven. Ananda,] "it's because Ven. Sariputta's I-making & mine-making and obsessions with conceit have long been well uprooted that even if there were change & alteration in the Teacher, there would arise within him no sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, or despair."
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    If we abandon all our ego, then we must abandon desire. Which is fine if its unhealthy desires. However, what about the desire to help others ? or the desire to follow the Dharma, or other healthy desires. Surely we must need some sort of ego to be able to follow the Buddhist path in the first place. Hence, is it not vital that a person has some sort of say ego until they reach a stage on their path that has surpassed the need for it.

To abandon the ego-thoughts, we need to abandon attachments, not desires. The desire to help others is good because it comes from letting go of the sense of self importance. This is obviously not a desire formed by egoistic thinking and comes from a pure heart.
  • RicRic
    edited April 2011
    Fed,
    Thanks for the article. Its pretty much what I am arguing except I cant speak when it relates to what the Buddha taught because I am not well versed in it. Although I can see and expected that there would be no consensus with it. Although the penultimate line is confusing, "Buddhist know how to develop healthy egos over the centuries-so healthy, that they can ultimately drop the need to create "self".

As far as being a moral crusader for the ego I would disagree. I am inquiring about a situation to get closer to what I believe to be true. To find the path that is the truest, not to convert people for my cause. I really have no desire to convert anyone, it honestly makes no difference to me nor do I claim to be any closer to the truth.
  • @DD: Maybe just for the sake of discussion, if you could define what you mean by "ego" and how it is obstructive we would understand better. I just get the impression that we may be dealing with differences in the Western definition of ego and the technical Theravada definition of ego. I admit I used the term loosely and without defining it, and from a Western perspective. So if you could shed light on that I'd appreciate it- it would no doubt be helpful to the discussion.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Fed,
    Thanks for the article. Its pretty much what I am arguing except I cant speak when it relates to what the Buddha taught because I am not well versed in it. Although I can see and expected that there would be no consensus with it. Although the penultimate line is confusing, "Buddhist know how to develop healthy egos over the centuries-so healthy, that they can ultimately drop the need to create "self".

As far as being a moral crusader for the ego I would disagree. I am inquiring about a situation to get closer to what I believe to be true. To find the path that is the truest, not to convert people for my cause. I really have no desire to convert anyone, it honestly makes no difference to me nor do I claim to be any closer to the truth.
    Yes it is confusing, it takes cultivation to understand. Don't dive to deep into concepts, just makes your mind spin ;)

Dharma Dhatu is referring to compassionate_warrior by moral_crusader. Don't mind him, he likes to turn every thread into a rebirth vs. no-rebirth thread. :p

With metta,
  • edited April 2011
    We need to define "ego" for these discussions.
    (As always, DD, you've misread my posts. I'm not a "warrior for rebirth" (what would that make you: a warrior for no rebirth?). Do back and do some research among the rebirth threads. Everyone has to decide about rebirth for themselves. Not that this has ANYTHING to do with the OP...)

P.S. Someone seems to be attached to the name "Moral Crusader", and to provoking polemics. :lol:
  • edited April 2011

To answer your other question, "the Tibetan method" requires devoting oneself to a guru completely for an extended period of time. Other members have mentioned that there are Tibetan lamas in Thailand, so this might be available to you. First, you may want to read about the Tibetan saint, Milarepa's experience with the "method".
    The Tibetan Buddhist stories of the trials and sufferings of people like Naropa and Milarepa can be taken as metaphorical rather than literal. Additionally, the extreme treatment they received from their gurus Tilopa and Marpa could be taken as an excuse for abusive behaviour in the wrong hands, so I don't think they're good examples to use. (and most of us haven't destroyed a houseful of people by black magic anyway!)

edited April 2011
    Surely, it's because Ven. Sariputta's I-making & mine-making and obsessions with conceit have long been well uprooted that, even if there were change & alteration in the Teacher, there would arise within him no sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress or despair.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn21/sn21.002.than.html
    The goal of the Buddha's essential teachings is to be free from sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress or despair. Without freeing the mind from ego, this is not possible.

The scriptures state, if the Buddha died, the Venerable Sariputta would not have sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress or despair.

But on this thread, if the Dalai Lama were to die, there would be widespread wailing & moaning.

:bawl:
    Then, when the Blessed One had passed away, some bhikkhus, not yet freed from passion, lifted up their arms and wept; and some, flinging themselves on the ground, rolled from side to side and wept, lamenting: "Too soon has the Blessed One come to his Parinibbana! Too soon has the Happy One come to his Parinibbana! Too soon has the Eye of the World vanished from sight!"

But the bhikkhus who were freed from passion, mindful and clearly comprehending, reflected in this way: "Impermanent are all compounded things. How could this be otherwise?"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html

• The Tibetan Buddhist stories of the trials and sufferings of people like Naropa and Milarepa can be taken as metaphorical rather than literal. Additionally, the extreme treatment they received from their gurus Tilopa and Marpa could be taken as an excuse for abusive behaviour in the wrong hands, so I don't think they're good examples to use. (and most of us haven't destroyed a houseful of people by black magic anyway!)
    This was a concern I had from the start, Dazzle. In Dzongsar Khentse's interview with Enlightennext, he's asked about the abusive aspect of the "destroying the ego" process in the Tibetan tradition, and he says that when there's no ego, there's nothing to abuse, or to experience the abuse. I find that a little alarming. If you have info on good examples to use, please share. I think Tom is interested in learning more about these practices.

edited April 2011

To abandon the ego-thoughts, we need to abandon attachments, not desires. The desire to help others is good because it comes from letting go of the sense of self importance. This is obviously not a desire formed by egoistic thinking and comes from a pure heart.
    Yes, but in order to wish to help someone, do you not need the notion "I" wish to help someone, or "I" am going to help someone, and therefore without gaining direct insight, is it not essential that a Buddhist has some sort of ego.

• Dhamma Dhatu,

Do you think its wrong to cry if your parents die? or your own children? Do you think the right way is to not shed one tear?

• if the Dalai Lama were to die, there would be widespread wailing & moaning.
    True, because many of his followers are like the monks who were not fully realized, and wept at the Buddha's death. Tibetans, especially, will mourn.

This discussion has been closed.