Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sobriety

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited April 2011 in Philosophy
My brother got drunk on saturday. Around about 11:30p, I was sitting by myself trying to get away from the ruckus of our living room. He was going on with one of his friends about how he can't wait for the "weed-man" to come because he hasn't smoked all day, but that he hates it how if he's been drinking that smoking makes him sober. I heard this and remarked, "that's literally the opposite of sober." I probably shouldn't have said anything because he then went on for about 30 minutes about how that's not true, how smoking weed makes him feel sober and normal. I told him that he doesnt remember what it's like to be sober and he ignored me. There was no hostility or anything in the engagment, just my drunk brother being drunk.

If you were confronted with this kind of blatant delusion, how would you approach the issue to help my brother see the error of his ways?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    "Stop. Don't. Come back!" -Willy Wonka to Mike Teevee

• edited April 2011
    If you were confronted with this kind of blatant delusion, how would you approach the issue to help my brother see the error of his ways?
    My advice?
    a) bear in mind that drunks can get mean or even violent. Back away slowly. Stay out of the line of fire. Leave him to his delusions. Don't get "hooked", even if he deliberately provokes you. It's not your job to enlighten him, even if that were possible, which it sounds like it probably isn't.
    b) Get your own apartment.

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Perhaps helping your "brother see the error of his ways" isn't appropriate. He seems to be telling you that smoking weed makes him feel less drunk. Is it a problem to hear that and simply see what your brother is experiencing/expressing?

His mind might not be more sober, in the sense that it is less chemically diluted, but he sounds like he is saying that he feels his perceptions become sharper. Maybe they do, you're not in his head to see.

I would consider saying something like "oh? that's an interesting observation of what you see" and leave the rest of my opinions out of it. Why do you feel compelled to judge his ways as an error? Why do you become amazed when you are unable to convince him that you know his mind better than he does?
  • @aMatt "that's an interesting observation"

That is basically how I responded, trying to prevent any kind of conflict or turmoil while still being friendly and forthcoming. However, whether or not he thinks it makes his head "clearer," it still leads to confusion, anger, heedlessness, and suffering.

It has been very difficult for me to confront my own addictions and self-destructive behavior and I don't think it is wrong for me, out of compassion for my twin brother who I love very much, to direct him in the "error of his ways." I'm not a judgemental person, in fact I avoid conflict often times to my detriment. I'm basing my analysis of the situation off of observation and experience.

If I can't share with the one's I love how Buddhism has helped me, particularly those who are going through many of the same things I did, then who can I share it with? At what point is the line drawn between passivity and apathy? Where does engaged Buddhism begin if not in the relations I have with my family and friends?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    This is a good question, about when does engaged Buddhism begin. I think it's pretty clear you're in a sticky situation with your brother. It seems like he's not ready to hear anything you might have to say on this subject right now. "Right speech" is about timely speech, among other things. Sometimes you just have to walk away and bide your time, difficult though that may be.

re: the "If I can't share Buddhism with my loved ones, who can I share it with" question--look around older threads. Lots of people are the odd man/woman out in their family, for being Buddhists. Some have to walk away and create family from among their friends. You can share Buddhism with us, with friends who are receptive, with a sangha if there is one in your area. If all else fails, you can be like the lone elephant, or the rhinoceros, as the Buddha indicated. It's really not so bad. I've been a Buddhist all my life and haven't really seen the need to share it with anyone. It's a private, personal thing.
  • DeformedDeformed Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Things will have to get miserable enough to stop drinking or getting high all the time. We may be able to see issues with other people's substance use, but unless they have experienced enough self-afflicted suffering to stop, there is little we can do.
  • Maybe it really is time for you to go. You can't "fix" other people. My heart goes out to you, but maybe it's time to get some distance from the situation.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2011
    @aMatt "that's an interesting observation"
    I love it!

However, whether or not he thinks it makes his head "clearer," it still leads to confusion, anger, heedlessness, and suffering.

...out of compassion for my twin brother who I love very much, to direct him in the "error of his ways."
    I consider these two to be similar patterns. He thinks he is getting "clearer" and you think you are "helping".

If I can't share with the one's I love how Buddhism has helped me, particularly those who are going through many of the same things I did, then who can I share it with? At what point is the line drawn between passivity and apathy? Where does engaged Buddhism begin if not in the relations I have with my family and friends?
    I think these are well pointed questions, and certainly worth some examination. First, perhaps Buddhism isn't what they're looking for, and your need to share your findings is not skillful. Consider asking yourself, what are they looking for? What do they see? Where are they?

For instance, do you really consider that pointing out some kind of truth to a drunk mind is proper timing and application? Even if the essential nature of your observation is correct, perhaps relating it then was unskillful? You could have related a little to the restlessness he had. Perhaps, "Hey, if you take a couple deep breaths maybe you won't feel so impatient for the weed man," because you had been observing his restlessness, not confusion. Isn't overcoming delusion and intoxication your thing, not his?

Buddhism doesn't seem to me to be about spreading Buddhism, or even leaning on others to help them see their errors. In my view, its about skillfully relating to what is around us. If you noticed the response in your brother, it was 30 minutes of him defending his view. This not only reaffirms the view, but it indicates greater distance arising.

I think this is closer to realizing what the elephant in the wilds metaphor is pointing toward. Take refuge in yourself, and wait to answer questions with heart and honesty. Don't try to change others, simply be alert, and when the time for them to grow arrives, you'll have answers to the questions they ask. Simply being peaceful and alert will naturally call to the part of them that also wants to be peaceful and alert.

With warmth,

Matt
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    My brother got drunk on saturday.

who is deluded here? you or your brother?
    put everything into three baskets of 'impermanent, suffering, non-self' and see what will be the answer
  • The buddha stated that one should not indulge in intoxicants and also to prevent those around you from consuming them. However, I personally would talk to him as brother to brother, when he is not drunk or totally wasted (because that is what wwed and alcohol does to me) not this sober malrki your brother is speaking about :P
  • If you were confronted with this kind of blatant delusion, how would you approach the issue to help my brother see the error of his ways?
    His addiction is his responsibility. Don't pick up what isn't yours.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    how would you approach the issue to help my brother see the error of his ways?
    I bet he sees the error of his ways, "loud and clear". But he's addicted. Addictions are very difficult to overcome. He has to want to, and only he can arrive at that conclusion. You could stress out and jeopardize your own stability by risking getting enmeshed in his situation. Be careful. Like 5Bells said...
  • The buddha stated that one should not indulge in intoxicants and also to prevent those around you from consuming them.
    Really? He said one should prevent those around you from consuming intoxicants? That's often a lost cause.

• Yea, I read about it in one of the daily dhrma drops thread. It was a passage from one of the suttas. I am sure though if you went around tking beer out of your friends hands you would get a mouth full, maybe of words or fists... But yea, I think one should just not par take in the activity or humor it
  • I don't ever get into discussing Buddhism specifically, unless it is asked about specifically. Also, I don't get into any heavy stuff when he's drinking because he has a strong tendency for confrontation and I'd rather he enjoy his evening and leave me be. I suppose my OP was poorly written or came accross with a tone I didn't intend. I was just asking for simple advice. Advice, I suppose, I don't really need, all things considered. Thanks for the posts folks, I like seeing what people have to say.
  • What your brother says is true in a way, but if you don't know yourself what it's like then you won't understand and have no place passing judgement.

Yes, you may get the impression that it brings you round BUT it's also true that while under the influence it becomes harder to gauge just how totally off your face you are.

So he's trying to relate this idea to you but you don't understand and misinterpreted it. Save the advice, and listen more.
  • Speaking as an alcoholic (and with all due respect) I don’t think your approach would have impressed me much either. Personally, I was only ready to see my own delusions when I reached a point where I could no longer deny them. This is what we call “hitting bottom”. And even then hearing what people thought didn’t really help me much. Sadly, this is a common theme for many alcoholics and addicts. What DID impress me was hearing real personal experience from people who had been in the same boat. “This is how it was for me. This is what I did. This is how things got better for me,” worked a lot better than “This is your problem. This is how you are. This is what you should do.” So, today when I meet people who may need help, I try to remember this and share my experience rather than preach. I’ve found things go a lot better when I share with others something they may be able to relate to.
  • @JeremyKS1
    I HAVE had experience. I was addicted to cocaine, alcohol, marajuana, psychedelics for years. I do not, IN ANY WAY, confront my brother with how he SHOULD be, much to the chagrin of my girlfriend who thinks I should "speak up." I made a joke regarding his "weed makes me sober" statement. He approached me and went on and on about how he is only normal when he is high, etc. I made the OP to address this sort of situation, not to find out how to "force" my brother to change.
  • My apologies for any misunderstanding.
  • Talisman, I think your life is the best message you can send to your brother; he probably knows you have a history of substance abuse, and he can see that your life is much better now. All you have to do is be who you are and let him observe and take note. Or..not take note. That's really all you /can/ do in this type of situation. As Jeremy KS1 said, what impresses, is that you were once in your brother's boat, but you succeeded in climbing out and having a good life. At some point, that message may sink in. Congratulations to you, by the way. :thumbsup:
  • If he has some kind of goal in life you can ask him "is this getting you closer to (his goal)."

If he just wants to party theres not much you can do imo.
  • Some things in life we cannot control or 'force', they will be what they will be. An addict, (coming from one) will only ever stop with help and the actual want to stop. That is the first thing that needs to happen, you need to want to stop or you are setting yourself up for failure if you do not want to.

ALl the best to your bro :)
  • ... I made a joke regarding his "weed makes me sober" statement. He approached me and went on and on ...
    discussing anything with a drunk person gets you nowhere. except that they go on and on .... ;)