Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Difference between Monist Subjective Idealism and Dependent Origination. Nirvana/Vajraheart.

VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
edited May 2011 in Faith & Religion
Nirvana's writings are in the quotes:

What's all this about Buddhism? Other ways of thinking also exist.

So there's just one "right Road," is there?
Nagarjuna said, "Other traditions lead to the edge of Samsara, but Buddhadharma alone leads to Nirvana"

I'm no apologist for any religious tradition and I know credentials alone can bring you no closer to realization. As Astavakra says, "My child, you may often speak upon various scriptures or hear them. Nonetheless, it is important to forget them all if you are to [gain realization]. XVI:1
To take up a non-conceptual expansiveness as the ground of all being is an erroneous view according to Buddhadharma. It is in fact a Subjective Monist Idealism that leads as the Shurangama Sutra says, to abodes occupied by long lived gods, each of which think they are the soul representation of creator-ship of the cosmos, in powerful bliss states of ignorance.

We simply cannot know things in concepts and words. As Kant said, we know them only for ourselves (what import they have on our lives), not what they are in themselves.
It is true that people internalize concepts differently, but they should reflect ones internal realization with clarity.

The Buddha, when describing the different jhanas or samadhi states, warns us not to take up the states of "infinite consciousness", "infinite nothingness", "infinite space", nor the the samadhi of "neither perception nor non-perception" as an ultimate ground of being. To ascribe an ultimate universal witness to any of these states of refined consciousness is what leads to erroneous paths and erroneous interpretations of the cosmos.

There are differences between the different spiritual traditions on Earth that are not merely conceptual, but also non-conceptual. This tendency to grasp at a self either individual or universal is very deep, and is rooted deep within a persons unconscious, which is to be illumined and untied through understanding directly the internal meaning of "right view" according to Buddhas, or "awake" ones.

So Astavakra is saying that the dogmas get in the way and that we have to let them go. We have to unlearn. As Lord Buddha said, we must relish unflavored things...
The view propounded by Ashtavakra and Advaita Vedanta as a whole is an all subsuming view, which sees the non-conceptual as ultimate and self shining, this is a dogma that leads beings to formless bliss realms and long lived god realms, but not to liberation from unconscious recycling.

Comments

• Right View is the viewless view, but Monist Idealism is a view, even if it's a universalist view, it's still a subtle view that ends up absorbing ones potential for Nirvana.
  • Monist Subjective Idealism is a view reifying "independent origination/consciousness" and does not see the insight of the Buddha which is "inter-dependent origination/emptiness."
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    To take up a non-conceptual expansiveness as the ground of all being is an erroneous view according to Buddhadharma.

The view propounded by Ashtavakra and Advaita Vedanta as a whole is an all subsuming view, which sees the non-conceptual as ultimate and self shining, this is a dogma that leads beings to formless bliss realms and long lived god realms, but not to liberation from unconscious recycling.
    Well spoken.

:)

• Well spoken.

:)

Danke Schoen!
    edited May 2011
    Right View is the viewless view...
    :confused:
    edited May 2011
    Nagarjuna said, "Other traditions lead to the edge of Samsara, but Buddhadharma alone leads to Nirvana"
    Buddha-Dhamma is found in the Pali suttas, which the Buddha described as "plainly spoken".

If Nagarjuna asserts the Pali suttas are not Buddhadharma then he simply created his own doctrine.

The doctrines of Nagarjuna are mere intellectual logic. They are the doctrines of a debator.

For example, in the experience of direct insight, craving is the cause of attachment and attachment is not the cause of craving.

It requires a step in intellectual logic to assert, as Nagarjuna did, that attachment is the cause of craving because if attachment did not arise then craving could not be a cause.

The meditative experience of insight only sees causes as causes. It does not see effects as causes. To regard effects as causes is merely intellectual reasoning.

:-/
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011
    You must find your dharma where and how you can. Your capacity obviously is within your interpretation of the Dhamma, strickly the Pali version, limited by the scope of your thus far experienced self, which is a limiting view of the depth of Buddhism in my opinion. Non-the-less I'm not here to debate Buddhist traditions with you, as I've noticed it's like beating a dead horse. :)

To consider Nagarjuna mere intellectual hocus pocus is to miss the subtle experiential nuances present in his teachings. Reading and understanding him is actually re-wiring your synaptic patterns or neural patterns. The arguments are for internal clarification, not external bravado. Nagarjuna pulled largely from the Pali Cannon and interpreted it into a Mahayana format, which for me is very easily decipherable from the Pali texts, if you have the inclination to perceive from such a vantage, and I know you do not.

Que Sera Sera.
  • More and more evidence is coming to light to support that the Buddha indeed taught different types of Buddhism. I for one am certain that he did teach Mahakasyapa some things he did not teach Ananda, simply due to their different capacities.
  • Right View is the viewless view...
    :confused:
    As it is idealy free from subjective self reference. It is a view that is able to look at itself objectively. Thus it self liberates from points of view, is open and empty to see from any view without falling for any of them.
    edited May 2011
    Your capacity obviously is...
    Whenever I interact with someone,
    May I view myself as the lowest amongst all,
    And, from the very depths of my heart,
    Respectfully hold others as superior.

Training the Mind: Verse 2

:dunce:
  • As it is idealy free from subjective self reference.
    You seem to be aligning "view" with "self".

:scratch:
  • Attachment to views is "Self"
  • Attachment = self
    View =/ self
  • Your capacity obviously is...
    Whenever I interact with someone,
    May I view myself as the lowest amongst all,
    And, from the very depths of my heart,
    Respectfully hold others as superior.

Training the Mind: Verse 2

:dunce:
    Well... capacity is as capacity does! ;)
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011
    As it is idealy free from subjective self reference.
    You seem to be aligning "view" with "self".

:scratch:
    Yes, I do... because if you see that a view has no inherent self/essence, there is no attachment to any relative view, thus dependent origination/emptiness is realized as the viewless view.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    even if you hide in the transcendent witness reality will knock your ass out of it lol.

we need to wake up from the head = realize the transcendent witness. let go of grasping at concepts.
    wake up from the heart = realize our heart center. let go of grasping at emotions.
    wake up from the gut = realize our hara center. let go of our existential grasping.

it is a process that operates with or without our help. existence will burn away the rest.

when we come at everything is truth. taking a shit is as much truth as meditating. working at walmart is as much truth as teaching the dharma.

first it was attachment to name and form. 1+2=3
    then form is emptiness, emptiness is form. 0=1, 1=0
    then no form, no emptiness. 1000x0=0, 1x0=0
    then attachment to freedom. freedom form, freedom emptiness. 3x3=9, 1000x100=1000x9
    finally just like this. form is form. emptiness emptiness. 3x3=9

thus the only difference between a buddha and a normal human being is this long journey. the end result is simply non-attachment towards thinking.

beautiful topic.

• we need to wake up from the head = realize the transcendent witness. let go of grasping at concepts.
    There is no transcendent witness either. No, "I am" that subsumes everything. That experience needs to be emptied of formless self grasping as well. The bondage of unconscious recycling is anchored deep within the unconscious in formless, non-conceptual modes of the unconscious. When awareness goes there, it wants to think it's the truth because it seems to be deeper than the gross activity, but it, itself is the seed of the activity and thus needs to be emptied of self grasping as well.

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

The above link is a pretty good description of what I'm talking about.

As to reify a formless witness as supreme, is to fall into formless self grasping, which the Buddha warned about. As after all manifestation in a cosmic cycle ceases, you'll be absorbed by this formless witness you've reified, considering it the truth, the reality, the absolute and you will fall into the pralaya http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pralaya (singularity) of the particular cosmic cycle you are occupying and be re-expressed into the next cycle, ignorant of the previous cycle in order to run the gauntlet once again from the point of "alpha." So, to see the witness as the "alpha" is to manifest it as an experiential fact for yourself.

So, reifying the witness, leads to not passing "go", you don't collect endless merit, you don't get Buddhahood. (referencing the game Monopoly) :D

Hey! Have fun with it!
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Lol thanks for the link. i am going to be looking at this for a long time.
  • Lol thanks for the link. i am going to be looking at this for a long time.
    Hey you're welcome fellow traveler! I love your commitment to the path of unraveling as always!!