Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

a day of rest

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited June 2011 in General Banter
What do you think of the idea of returning to a time when there was one day a week (it used to be Sunday here in the U.S.) when all but the most essential services would be shut down, when the efforts of the weekly grind were laid to rest? Originally, there was a religious underpinning to this "day of rest," but I like the idea as something that is healthy for the human animal irrespective of his religious contrivances.

What do you think? Would legislating such a day be sensible or is it better to let people create their own day of rest?

Comments

• It would be better to let people create their own day of rest. Work schedules these days do not lend themselves well to a legislated day of "rest" when those who need access to certain services would find them unavailable.

Would you really expect a "day of rest" to be legislated now that society has done without one for so long?

(How is this "Modern Buddhism"? Isn't this "General Banter"?)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    yeah, I hate to say it...unless genkaku can indicate any good reason (and of course, I'm very happy to oblige...) I think it's more a 'General Banter' topic.....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh and by the way - I'd be all for it. In The Uk there are no longer any clear-cut defining lines, and it's a shame. whether for religious reasons or purely strategic ones, I think we all need an imposed 'day of rest' - and why not?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Thanks for the switch, Federica. I was of two minds about where to put the topic, but put it in 'modern Buddhism' because I think Buddhists can and perhaps must consider the necessity and usefulness of a little down time.

I also agree with your wistful thinking. Legislation is just a means of imposing social sense on those of us who have little or no social sense.
  • Hi genkaku, here where I reside at the moment, Sunday shuts down completely. And I really miss the shopping opportunities ... uh but basically it's as you say. I think some cultures are inherently more laid back though, perhaps like the Nordics or Amsterdam was pretty laid back last time I saw it.
  • edited June 2011
    Yes, I agree everyone needs a day of rest, for physical and mental health, but it shouldn't be legislated.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    If you want a day of rest then take it. Do you work 7 days a week? If you do then I guess I put my foot in my mouth. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to market etc...
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    If you want a day of rest then take it. Do you work 7 days a week? If you do then I guess I put my foot in my mouth. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to market etc...
    I agree. Leave my rights alone. Rest all you want to. Take 7 days of rest if you want. Many people work 5-6 days a week, and Sunday may very well be their only real day to do all that stuff.
  • There was that study of Jehovah's Witnesses, who strictly keep the Sabbath, and they were found to be healthier and longer-lived than the general population. Because of the weekly day of rest, was the study's conclusion. I think they have a special diet (vegetarian?), too.
  • it will be nice if there was a day of rest, but the country shouldn't grind to a total halt that day...
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    when i used to work retail in a very conservative area, i would occasionally get people yelling at me for being open on the sabbath day (sunday). it was rather humorous since they were always customers, so i would simply reply, "well, we are open because people come here and shop on sundays..."

as for me, i learned a long time ago that i need at least one day i can count on as a day off. depending on my jobs, that day has changed, but these days it actually is sunday. but i don't believe in a mandatory day. hospitals will always have to be open, nursing homes will always need staff to care for people, prisons always need guards... there is simply no way that you could have one unified day for everyone.