Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation and the fear of public speaking anxiety...

zen_worldzen_world Veteran
edited June 2011 in Meditation
As part of my profession I have to give presentations regularly. Over the last couple of months my presentation anxiety become unbearable and I am having very hard time. I tried a lot of techniques including over the counter drugs but nothing helped so far.
Is there any way to eliminate this fear thru specific meditation techniques?

Comments

• Its not really a meditation technique but walking through the process in your head and reassuring yourself that it will be fine might help? I'm sure somebody much more experienced will be able to help with this though... Good luck, I understand your anxiety, I want to become a teacher and I am so scared of instructing a whole class of children :/

• Is there any way to eliminate this fear thru specific meditation techniques?
    Not that I know of. A psychologist may be able to help with a combination of mindfulness and CBT. You can probably beat this drug-free, but since you've tried OTC medication maybe your doctor can prescribe something reasonable and appropriate.

• Zen, you might want to try a beta blocker like propranalol. Its used to reduce performance anxiety. All it does is lower your blood pressure so when you get very anxious you wont get so much of the physical symptoms.

U need a script though.
  • @Ric

Propranalol is a great advice...I read other people's experience and it sounds promising. I will try..thanks...
  • Beta blockers rock. Back in law school I had a performance anxiety issue when presenting arguments in moot court competition. BBs helped me through it next year and I won the comp.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Is there any way to eliminate this fear thru specific meditation techniques?
    Metta. When your mind is radiating metta, fear has no place to get a foothold.

dantepw
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    the only way to get rid of your fear is by continually forcing yourself to perform in front of people.
    continual confrontation and gradual acceptance of fear allows one to move beyond fear.

to be honest with you that is the only method i know of. it worked for me. trial by fire.
    it is the fastest and most practical way to manage fear.
    dantepw
  • A strong understanding of impermanence can also help.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    the only way to get rid of your fear is by continually forcing yourself to perform in front of people.
    continual confrontation and gradual acceptance of fear allows one to move beyond fear.

to be honest with you that is the only method i know of. it worked for me. trial by fire.
    it is the fastest and most practical way to manage fear.
    absolutely agree with this. i have been working on this via karaoke. :)
    i took a speech class in high school, i took theater, i was in all of our school's productions, and even so, i have crippling stage fright at times. i look back sometimes and wonder how i could have survived, lol. i once had a solo without musical accompaniment in one of our plays!

but the trick for me has always been to forget about everyone else. to focus very intently on myself and what i need to do, whether it is sing, talk, read my report, whatever. meditation has helped me with this. sometimes i return my focus to my breath. while singing, i can sometimes have such severe stage fright that my vocal chords actually constrict. i can tell when i have succeeded in separating myself from the room (focusing on myself and not "them") when my voice will actually change and allow me to hit the notes like i know i can (you know, when i'm in my shower, lol).

good luck with your anxiety zen_world. but i'm afraid i don't think there is any way to tackle this problem without actually... tackling the problem, if you know what i mean. face your fears, so to speak.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Playing basketball helped me. Which reading zombiegirl's post made me think of. When I played basketball to make a shot you practiced the form many times. That is like familiarizing yourself with the material?

Then when I shot the ball I just let go of all the desires and thoughts and just sort of used 'the force'. If it missed then I moved my feet to get in position for action.

So like zombiegirl I recommend familiarizing yourself, getting into your speech spontaneous and feeling it in the zone. Then position yourself for questions. happy feet and letting go.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I like the sports analogy here to explain fear.

I love playing soccer. I play my 'A' game when I am in the zone - no fear of missing a shot, no fear of winning, no fear of losing. I JUST PLAY!
    dantepw
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    As a former school principal I used to have to speak in public often. One thing I would do is learn my speech and then try to relax so that I didn't have to refer that much to notes. I tried to be flexible with my words. Trying to be exact all the time just made me more tense. If I used one word instead of another, so what.
    And, I tried to speak more as I would just talk.

But the best advice I ever got -- and of course, whether you can use this depends on the topic on which you are speaking -- was, when possible make it personal. Tell the story as I personally saw it. Bring in things you've experienced. Make the stories real...not about just data or cliches.
    dantepw
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "not about just data or cliches"

good advice. you need the correct data to be taken seriously in some topics, but nobody is going to remember the data. They will remember you. And the story.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    Hello:

Give up the tendency to resistance in regard to painful feelings...
    The tendency to formulas, the tendency to mind games...

• Have you used Roberts rules? that book specifically is for public speaking.
    You could also focus on a specific area not focused on the crowd but above them ie a clock or something.
    Or imagine them all naked :)
  • HawkinsHawkins Explorer
    How do you guys get beta blockers?
  • edited June 2011
    When I was new to public speaking, I'd practice my speech in front of friends. We'd make a mock-up of the lecture hall, and I'd stand at a make-shift podium, and would time the speech to make sure it fit whatever the time-frame was. Always do a dry run. You're more relaxed and confident when the real thing happens. Also, if you're lecturing on a topic that's important to you, focus on that. Focus on conveying the info that you feel is so important for people to know. View it as a mission. You're trying to get the word out about X. If you have a sense of mission about it, it can make all the difference. And review the speech in your mind several times. That'll help you speak naturally, without needing to lean on notes.

If all else fails, join Toastmasters. It's an org full of people like you; people who have to speak in front of groups regularly, and were terrified of the prospect in the beginning. So they support each other, they speechify to each other, give feedback, etc. I've never joined 'em, but I know people who have, and they say it really helps.
  • How do you guys get beta blockers?
    It requires a doctor's prescription. Not to be trifled with. Can be harmful if used incorrectly or if there are concurrent medical conditions that contraindicate the use of beta blockers.

• Weird_ArtistWeird_Artist Explorer
    edited June 2011
    Thanks folks, these posts really helped me with my interview today :) and I got it :)
    dantepw
  • I have a phobia of public speaking, and almost gave up my hard earned university place a couple of years ago because I could not cope with the very many presentation assessments, not to mention the weekly presentations to the seminar.

How I have coped with it is first by using beta blockers, to take the 'edge off it' in that it stops the mouth from becoming dry, and stopped me from literally holding my breath so I was gasping like a fish out of water after the first couple of sentenses. Following this I developed my own technique of breathing which stopped me losing control and allowed me to get through it. It did not stop those horrible feelings of fear, but in time I did accept these feelings and knowing I was not going to pass out or have to walk out of the room, meant each time I became a little more confident, which in turn reduced the feelings of panic. If anyone wants to know the breathing technique I used, feel free to contact me.
    dantepw
  • @Chrissy

I want to know!!
  • @Chrissy

Yes, I would like to know too...I scheduled an appointment with my doctor and I will ask him to prescribe me beta blocker...

How is beta blocker? Does it work like magic?
  • It is not magic, its even better than that. Your mind will still act the same, so it is a great way to train yourself to overcome these fears because they dont go away.

All it does is reduce the physical symptoms of anxiety. So lets say your regular BP is 110, and lets say when you give a speech your fear raises your BP by 30, so now your BP is at 140. At 140 your heart accelerates and you get all those physical symptoms which can include shaking, sweating, flushed face, dry mouth.

So now before you go do a presentation, you take a beta blocker and it lowers your BP to lets say 90, but now with the increased anxiety your BP only goes up to 120 where the symptoms are not nearly as pronounced.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    What sometimes helps me is knowing that the things I am usually anxious about never pan out in the way I am anxious about them.
    Metta. When your mind is radiating metta, fear has no place to get a foothold.
    I need to remember this more often.
    This does help, and it is sometimes very slow going.
    A strong understanding of impermanence can also help.
    Yeah... It always helps to be able to tangibly understand the impermanence in the middle of the anxiety. Sometimes doesn't happen, though.
    absolutely agree with this. i have been working on this via karaoke. :)
    i took a speech class in high school, i took theater, i was in all of our school's productions, and even so, i have crippling stage fright at times. i look back sometimes and wonder how i could have survived, lol. i once had a solo without musical accompaniment in one of our plays!
    I used to do a lot of performing arts. For me, that audition is a bitch... and then, slowly, as I'm singing or whatever, I start to feel really confident, like, "Why did I let my fear get me off on the wrong start?"
    Playing basketball helped me.
    Exercise is a really great tonic, everyone knows. I also think doing chores helps.
    Then when I shot the ball I just let go of all the desires and thoughts and just sort of used 'the force'. If it missed then I moved my feet to get in position for action.
    I've been doing this with darts lately.
    good advice. you need the correct data to be taken seriously in some topics, but nobody is going to remember the data. They will remember you. And the story.
    In some Eddie Izzard stand-up, concerning the audience, he says, "It's 45% what you look like, 45% what you sound like, but only 10% what you're saying." -- or something like that! Then he starts singing the national anthem in gibberish, looking and sounding really confident.
    Give up the tendency to resistance in regard to painful feelings...
    The tendency to formulas, the tendency to mind games...
    I need this advice, too.
    ...Or imagine them all naked :)
    I always hear this, but never remember this. Also, I think I would distract myself: staring out into the audience, imaging all that, a blank and horrified look on my face, having forgotten everything.
    Always do a dry run.
    As many dry runs as I've done, I always say something completely different in the moment! :shake:
    Thanks folks, these posts really helped me with my interview today :) and I got it :)
    Yay!

I read something about how blowing on your thumb is supposed to help with anxiety, but I'm not sure why.
  • possibly a focus on breath, if you are breathing hard enough to feel it on your thumb its harder to hyperventilate.
  • Zen, you might want to try a beta blocker like propranalol. Its used to reduce performance anxiety. All it does is lower your blood pressure so when you get very anxious you wont get so much of the physical symptoms.

U need a script though.
    I have to bring this thread up once again...
    I promised myself if betablockers work then I would let others know.
    I took @ric advice and went to my doctor. He prescribed me beta blockers for about a month ago. I used it in several times right before big presentations and it worked wonderful. I can't believe how effective this drug is. Its miracle...No side effects, no change in my consciousness or awareness, and it is not addictive..
    I really recommend it if you are suffering from performance anxiety.

• Hey Zen!

thats great news! its a lot of performers little trick ! I guess its my ego but im really happy I could help
  • Hey Zen!

thats great news! its a lot of performers little trick ! I guess its my ego but im really happy I could help
    Thanks man! that was one of the best advice I ever get:)
    don't inflate your ego though:)

• I do a fair bit of public speaking and when I'm really nervous it's because I'm scared of making a fool of myself and of what other people will think of me.

It's called 'self centred fear'. How do I overcome this? By trying to be less self centred and not to take myself too seriously (Rule 62 applies at all times).

Taking ourselves too seriously is not good for us.
  • The only thing I can say on this is, read "The Art of Happiness". I used to have the same problems. Despite being able to talk when needed, I dreaded things like small talk and pleasantries. And eventually it lead to me ostracizing most of my childhood friends. But I read a few things in this book that made me re-assess my fears.

Here's a quick shorthand of what I can remember:

1.We are all human, and thus are equal, and have the same right to happiness. (this helped because it made me realized that I was not bellow others. That I shouldn't consider my desire to speak some kind of sin. Like I was not worthy of speaking in the presence of other people. This was my issue, stemming from low self esteem.)

2. There is a reference to a story from the doctor who co-wrote the book, and he mentioned a friend who was afraid to ask out a woman out of fear of rejection. The doctor decided to get to the root of why, and it was because the man felt guilty or innapropriate asking out a beautiful woman with less than perfect intentions. He explained buddhist views on sexuality, and the man realized that he was not doing anything wrong, and just knowing that they were both equals, and adults, and that he had no reason to avert his gaze, or feel guilty for talking to her, he asked her out. She refused, already having a lover, but he wasn't upset, he was just happy that he was no longer afraid to ask.

I think this hints at the idea that there are two factors in anxiety most the time.

1. Low self esteem. In which the best mantra would be "I am human. All humans have the right to be happy. I have the right to be happy". Then repeat with another person in mind "You are human...". The key is to not just say it, but to think of what happiness actually means to you. What do you wish for yourself, and with that same happiness on another human being.

2. Ill intention. If ones intentions aren't pure, or you feel like what your saying lacks significance, a feeling of wasting other peoples time, or being inappropriate arises. Just remind yourself whenever you meet someone, that your intentions are not bad, and therefor you have nothing to fear. If you slip up, then just explain your lack of ill intent, and most people, being on the same level as yourself, will be bale to understand what it's like to slip up.

This is the only advice I can give, and though I'm still not the most sociable guy in the world, coming to understand this has made it much easier for me to speak to people, or in the case of public speaking, at people.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Break the fear down, Look for the self existent nature of said fear within all the components it is made from and you will find that the object you though was there is actually not, Not existing from its own side but primarily dependent on your own mind, Take control. :)
  • I use propranolol for public speaking. It helps me a lot.