Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Trying to Explain the Three Foundations/Marks/Seals of all existent things.

thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Q1: What is true of just one thing?
A: That it exists and cannot change.

Q2: What is true of just two things?
A: That they exist. That one is not the other. That difference is not possible.

Q3: Why is difference not possible with just two things?
A: Because there is no there thing that the two things can change relative to.

Q4: What is true of just three things?
A: That they exist. That they are not the same. That there can be difference; There is the potential for difference.

Q5: How can there be difference?
A: One thing can be connected to either one of the other things or connected to both of the other things. If one things is connected to only one other thing then it is interconnected to the other thing.

Q6: What is the difference between the two that are different?
A: It is a difference of connection, not of essence.

Q7: What is essence?
A: There is no essence, only interconnected things, all that is not a thing arrises from interconections.

Q8: What is difference without contradiction?
A: If this thing is different to that thing then this thing has changed relative to that thing.

Q9: Is change essential?
A: Only to things that can change. That which starts must stop.

Q10: Why must that thing which starts stop?
A: Because all things are interconnected things. If a thing arises from a change in interconnections there is no thing that is more than those interconnections; so any change is a change away from the thing.

Q11: Is this true of all change?
A: It is true of all consistent change, namely of the three kinds.

Q12: What are the three kinds of change?
A: There is the change of being when this is not the same as that.
There is change without connection or cause.
There is change that depends on other changes.

Q13: What is change that depends on other changes?
A: If this thing depends on that thing then without this, no that. Without that, then no this. When this stops that stops. What that stops so does this. ; All changes that are not true chance are changes of interdependence.

Q14: So all things are without essence, changing and interdependent on other changes and all changes will bring about the stopping of all things.
A: Yes.

Q15:Cool.Beer?
A: Sure;)

Comments

• 1. The Dhamma. The true nature of things.
    2. These first two questions.
    3. The are both from the same person.
    4. The subject of this post. Namely, anicca, dukkha, and anatta
    5. I give up. You win.

metta :)
  • "Trying to Explain the Three Foundations/Marks/Seals of all existent things."

To me at least, the first two Q&A's just don't make sense, and you lost me after the third one.

Since you say you're "trying to explain", I expect that you're up for some constructive criticism. I think you're making the whole thing too complicated and convoluted, like you're way overthinking or over-stating it. Maybe start by stating what the three marks of existence are and then make sure as you're writing it that each statement relates directly back to the three marks of existence.
  • "Trying to Explain the Three Foundations/Marks/Seals of all existent things."

To me at least, the first two Q&A's just don't make sense, and you lost me after the third one.
    OK. Can you try to answer the questions yourself, see what you come up with? I use pebbles or coins to "experiment". I am very sure (which I say rarely) that if you really do this you will come up with the three marks yourself - and hopefully be able to explain it better than I have.
    I expect that you're up for some constructive criticism.
    Absolutely. Though I have little time just for the common naysaying, which, incidentally, I don't think you are doing here:)

I think you're making the whole thing too complicated and convoluted, like you're way overthinking or over-stating it.
    I must be backfiring somewhere because I am trying to make it simple! Doh!:)

As Buddhists we all should know the three marks, but I cant find any explanation of why the Buddha knew they were true of all conditioned things. I cant find it in any commentaries or suttas but this is the starting point of Dharma.

I can see why they are true. I have explained it to people in the real world and they get it too. It is very simple, but it requires us to think through the possibilities, not just assume anything is the case. I would gladly explain it on skype with a webcam.
    Maybe start by stating what the three marks of existence are and then make sure as you're writing it that each statement relates directly back to the three marks of existence.
    Yes, this is perhaps good advice. I did think of that but it adds another layer in that I don't then want to accidentally state what I am trying to show.

Would you try to find out why the three marks are true and see what you come up with, this will be constructive, I hope. I will have a think about how best to re-do the dialetic with the marks stated at the start as you suggest.

Thank you and well wishes:)

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    things are impermanent. because they are impermanent (anicca), they are unsatisfactory (dukkha). because they are impermanent & unsatisfactory, they cannot be regarded as a [permanent] self or belonging to oneself (anatta)

for example, you wish to marry a certain woman or man but a trusted friend tells you that man or woman is extremely sexually promiscuous

so you decide that man or woman will "not be your partner" (anatta). why? because they are unsatisfactory (dukkha) due to the impermanence (anicca) of their faithfulness

for example, you decide to buy a certain motor car but a trusted friend tells you that the engines for that motor car do not last very long and must be replaced every year

so you decide that motor will "not be yours" (anatta). why? because it is unsatisfactory (dukkha) due to the impermanence (anicca) of it engine

the buddha said: "what is impermanent is unsatisfactory. what is impermanent & unsatifactory cannot be a [permanent] self and is unfit to be regarded as belonging to oneself"

:)

edited June 2011
    Beer?
    You certainly sound drunk on whatever you are drinking.

Compare your explanation to mine.

:wow:
    things are impermanent. because they are impermanent (anicca), they are unsatisfactory (dukkha). because they are impermanent & unsatisfactory, they cannot be regarded as a [permanent] self or belonging to oneself (anatta)
  • @thickpaper- I gave it a shot according to your formulation, but I think either we're in Nagarjuna territory here or maybe even Heart Sutra territory as in "beyond, beyond, totally beyond, gone to the other side. Insight. So it is." Remember that in the Heart Sutra insight into impermanence/non-self/non-existence from its own side came from meditative absorption, not logic.

A: That it is composed of constituent parts and in a constant state of change if only at the atomic or molecular level.

A: That they exist. That one is not the other. It is possible that they are different, or that they are identical.

A: It is possible. Why wouldn't it be?

A: The same as what is true of just two things. They may or may not be different.

A: An infinite number of ways.

A: Any one thing among an infinite number of things may be different. One of the protons may be different, one of the neutrons, etc.

A: There is no essence, only interconnected things, all that is not a thing arises from interconnections.

A: If this thing is different to that thing then this is different to that thing- this is possible in an infinite number of ways.

A: Change is all there really “is”. It is the human mind that posits permanence or constancy. Actually, all things are in a constant state or flow of change, and always have been. The human mind has had to posit permanence or constancy in order to survive. But this is also what gives rise to the false feeling of “self” and therefore to unsatisfactoriness.

A: Nothing starts or stops. Phenomena just keep changing.

Q11: Is this true of all change?
    A: Yes.

(There is no change without connection or cause. Every phenomena is in a constant state of change or flux and always has been.)

A: If this thing depends on that thing then without this, no that. Without that, then no this. All changes that are not true chance are changes of interdependence.

Q14: So all things are without essence, changing and interdependent on other changes and all changes will bring about the stopping of all things.
    A: No, things will continue to change and flow since that is the nature of impermanence. Nothing actually starts or stops, it just changes.

A:No thanks. Stopped a long time ago.

@thickpaper- I have a very crappy internet signal and some things to do so I don't know if or when I'll be able to carry on with this. I just did this rather quickly and I don't know if I can stick with a protracted discussion like this.

But metta to you anyway.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    Trying to Explain the Three Foundations/Marks/Seals of all existent things.
    there is nothing can be found without six sense bases

try and see whether you can find anything without six sense bases

take/ look into the mind and try to see 'something comes into the mind' and see how long it stays there as it is without changing

if you 'like' it but does not stay then you get un-pleasent feelingd
    if you 'do not like' it itself gives you unpleasent feeling
    if you 'neither like nor dislike' it does not stay like that forever

if something is not stay as you like how can you say that is 'your self' ?

whenever possible do this experiment for something you hear, see, taste, smell and feel

one day, the experiment will gives results and that result is not just 'theory' or analysis of theory

that is the 'experience' of Three Marks

one can come to this experience of Three Marks through 'five aggregates' or 'six elements' or 'dependent origination'

analysing theory is helpful
    but just that is not ENOUGH

we need to do the experiment too

• edited June 2011
    The Short Teaching Regarding the Heart of Perfect Wisdom

The sincere practitioner Avalokitesvara
    while intently practicing the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    perceived that all of the five phenomenal aggregates are empty of inherent existence
    and was thereby saved from all suffering and distress.

He told Shariputra:
    Form does not differ from emptiness,
    emptiness does not differ from form.
    That which is form is emptiness,
    that which is emptiness is form.
    The same is true of feelings,
    perceptions, impulses, and consciousness.

Shariputra,
    all perceived phenomena are marked with emptiness.
    They do not appear or disappear,
    they are neither tainted nor pure,
    nor do they increase or decrease.

Therefore, in emptiness there is no form, no feeling,
    no perception, no impulse, and no consciousness.
    There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind;
    no color, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch,
    no object of mind,
    no mind to perceive,
    and so forth
    until it is clear that there is no realm of mental consciousness.

There is no ignorance nor extinction of ignorance,
    and so forth until no old age and death
    and also no extinction of these phenomena.

There is no suffering, no origination,
    no stopping, no path, no cognition,
    nor is there attainment, because there is nothing to attain.

If the sincere practitioner depends on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation,
    and the mind is not a hindrance,
    without any hindrance no fears exist.

Far apart from every incorrect view one dwells in the final state of seeing clearly.

In the innumerable worlds and dimensions
    all sincere practitioners depend on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    and thereby attain the final state of seeing clearly.

Therefore know that the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom
    is the great transcendent mantra,
    the great clarifying mantra,
    the ultimate mantra,
    the supreme mantra
    which is able to relieve all suffering,
    is perfectly clear,
    and is beyond any mistaken perception.

So proclaim the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom.
    Proclaim the mantra which says:

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha.

“Gone Beyond, gone beyond, gone completely beyond, gone to the other shore.

Clarity.

So it is.

I learn something new every time I read that. But this part strikes me in this discussion:

"If the sincere practitioner depends on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation,
    and the mind is not a hindrance,
    without any hindrance no fears exist.

I hope this doesn't sound like the "you have to experience it through meditation" cop-out, but maybe that's so in this case.
  • @thickpaper- I gave it a shot according to your formulation...

Thank you. I will comment below.

A: That it is composed of constituent parts and in a constant state of change if only at the atomic or molecular level.

No, if it has parts or has change it is not just one thing. Imagine a thing as being a single point that doesn't change, has no parts.

A: That they exist. That one is not the other. It is possible that they are different, or that they are identical.

Yes, apart from the last point, if they are not one thing they are not identical. This is an ancient law.

A: It is possible. Why wouldn't it be?

Imagine we label one A and the other B. AB is the only truth about them. It is the same truth as BA

A: The same as what is true of just two things. They may or may not be different.

No, with ABC we can have difference. We can have BCA, ABC, CAB. Please spend some time thinking about this, its the crux.

A: An infinite number of ways.

No

A: Any one thing among an infinite number of things may be different. One of the protons may be different, one of the neutrons, etc.

No, you are talking about things in this world, with protons etc. We need to stay with things in all and any possible world.

A: There is no essence, only interconnected things, all that is not a thing arises from interconnections.

Yes

A: If this thing is different to that thing then this is different to that thing- this is possible in an infinite number of ways.

No, it is possible only in the ways determined by the number of things. The more things we add, the more difference is possible, but that is all.

A: Change is all there really “is”.It is the human mind that posits permanence or constancy. Actually, all things are in a constant state or flow of change, and always have been. The human mind has had to posit permanence or constancy in order to survive. But this is also what gives rise to the false feeling of “self” and therefore to unsatisfactoriness.

Human minds are not relevant here. The three marks are about all things. But yes, change is really all there is.

A: Nothing starts or stops. Phenomena just keep changing.

No, if there is a state ABC and then a state CAB then one state has stopped another has started.

(There is no change without connection or cause. Every phenomena is in a constant state of change or flux and always has been.)

OK, we could talk more on this, I am less sure of it.

A: If this thing depends on that thing then without this, no that. Without that, then no this. All changes that are not true chance are changes of interdependence.

Yes.

A: No, things will continue to change and flow since that is the nature of impermanence. Nothing actually starts or stops, it just changes.

See my reply to Q10

A:No thanks. Stopped a long time ago.

I dont drink much, I was trying to be lighthearted.
    @thickpaper- I have a very crappy internet signal and some things to do so I don't know if or when I'll be able to carry on with this. I just did this rather quickly and I don't know if I can stick with a protracted discussion like this.

But metta to you anyway.
    @SherabDorje I hope you do, it is at least helpfulto me. We can do it in email, skype, whatever, or here.

Well wishes

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    We've already had this discussion I think another year. If you have no observer all of this is moot. There cannot be two 'things' because all things are non-self so nothing ever comes or goes from existence in the first place.

One thing can be divided into an infinite number of 'things' and only the mind can stitch them together.

The notion of 'thing' is a fabrication created by consciousness. That is why the three marks are ONLY TRUE OF CONDITIONAL REALTIY. Conditional means mentally labled by thought.
  • We've already had this discussion I think another year
    Maybe. I have changed a fair bit since then, I would imagine you have too.
    If you have no observer all of this is moot. There cannot be two 'things' because all things are non-self so nothing ever comes or goes from existence in the first place.

I disagree absolutly. For example, Assuming that 13 billion years ago there were no observers, there were still things.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    There may have been things 13 billion years ago. But my other arguments still hold. I think you don't understand that non-self implies that 'things' are empty. There are no things. It is all in our head. Just thinking.

It is a fabrication to say that one atom is a thing. An atom is made of electrons etc. An electron is made of smaller things. Heisenberg uncertainty principle says that the properties that constitute a thing such as particle momentum and position cannot be pinned down. As part of the fundamental fabric of reality.

There cannot be one 'existent' thing. It can be divided into infinite.
  • There may have been things 13 billion years ago. But my other arguments still hold.
    I don't see what they are.
    I think you don't understand that non-self implies that 'things' are empty.
    I see it the other way around, the emptiness of things implies non-self. Non-self is only relevant to minds. Its a higher abstraction of emptiness.

>>>There are no things.

There are things, they are empty. There are only things in relations. What forms the substrate of existance is imponderable and irrelevant: it may be spacetime, matrix bits, god's dreams.... yada yada.

>>>It is a fabrication to say that one atom is a thing. An atom is made of electrons etc. An electron is made of smaller things.

I havent said that. Moreover at this level "physics" is irrelvant.

>>>Heisenberg uncertainty principle says that the properties that constitute a thing such as particle momentum and position cannot be pinned down. As part of the fundamental fabric of reality.

As said, at this level "physics" is irrelvant. The Three Marks are true of any concievable reality, not just this one. If you do not see this point I think you do not understand the three marks.

>>>There cannot be one 'existent' thing. It can be divided into infinite.

In the case of all things, there can be one thing; that is, the things true of allthings, be they armchairs, galaxies or abstract single-points.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    There is nothing existent to form a relation in the first place. You can divide anything into more pieces. So there isn't anything to fixate on.

For example you point to the snowball and say thats a snowman. I say no its a snowball. You point to the carrot and say its a snowman. I say no thats the carrot.

You can divide things. You can always divide anything smaller.

"In the case of all things, there can be one thing; that is, the things true of allthings, be they armchairs, galaxies or abstract single-points."

This is incorrect. You can always divide anything smaller. A single point is nothing real. It is mentally labled. Because it is infinitely thin there is nothing there.
  • There is nothing existent to form a relation in the first place. You can divide anything into more pieces. So there isn't anything to fixate on.
    If you are not prepared to think of things in abstraction then we can go nowhere with this.

>>>>This is incorrect. You can always divide anything smaller.

The divisibility is irrelevant; the idea of an abstract singlepoint is a tool of the thinking. Try looking at it another way: What is true of all things that is true of just thouse things, not their parts nor of their their relations?

The answer, for all things, is simply that they exist independently of all other things.

What is true of the car that is not true of the wheels.... and so on.

Laying asside the urge to naysay (the easy urge for all things), do you see this? If not lets focus on that.

xx

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "If you are not prepared to think of things in abstraction then we can go nowhere with this."

I'm not sure what you mean by abstraction. The fact is that if an abstraction doesn't point to anything in the world then it is just mental 'gymnastics' to avoid a more crude term referring to solitary release.

If you can always divide smaller than the idea of a single point is a false idea. Like the idea of a rabbit with horns.

I probably don't see what you see. I don't think you understand non-self in my opinion. At least from what I understand from my dogmatic mystical orthodox guru :P Honestly I don't think there is ONE buddhism I think there are many. But your beliefs are on a different branch of the tree. You can't be on two trains at the same time.

Dukkha means when you take a mental lable as fixed there is suffering. It denies impermanence. And nonself. You lose openness to surprises. Like what are you going to do if you find out your zipper is down?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    real systems have error of measurement. And the information about relations to an origin is indeterminate.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Buddhism is not an airtight theory. It is a method to cope with your experience/life.
  • I'm not sure what you mean by abstraction.
    I mean to think of things outside of the this world; as the buddha clearly did with genius ability.

>>>If you can always divide smaller than the idea of a single point is a false idea.

>>>>I probably don't see what you see.

No, and I would like to help you see. It is not complex, its not even deep. At best it requires a bit of "letting go" of our worldly perspective.

Dont get hooked up on the divisibility, as its clearly distracting rather than abstracting for you.

Imagine a thing, and lets lable that thing "X". X could be your PC, your feet, the roundest pebble on Mars. The biggest subspot on Betleguse. The first atom on Argon in the universe.... the "froth on a wave"...anything.

Now X is divisible, that's a given.

Lets think in terms of statements, though we could naysay these until the cows come home, but for us they are a convinenent way to address the issues.

What statements are true of X that are not true of anything else?

And

What statements are true of X that are not true of any part of X?

And

What statements are true of X that are not true of any relationship X has with anything else?

If you think about these, really think - not just try to find fault and quirk - then I think you will come up with only one statement that satisfied all three questions:

X exists.

The fact X is before this, or left of that or containes these... all such statements are excluded.

Existance is an abstract property. All other properties (until we have values) are not abstract, they are relational.

I think this is what the buddha is refering to when he talks of the three marks of EXISTance.

This is our starting point, this was the starting point for the OP. If you ahve one things, whatver it is, the only thing that is true of just that thing, is that it exists.

Do you see this? We cannot proceed until you do. I urge you to drop all you think and start from blank principles for this "experiment".

Take your time to ponder please:)

xx

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "I mean to think of things outside of the this world; as the buddha clearly did with genius ability."

Very sincerely I feel buddha was talking about THIS world. Cheers.

"X exists."

Thats the opposite of mahayana buddhism. I am a mahayana buddhist. There is no self-existence. There is experience. In this world. And the experience cannot be fixed. We cannot nail it down. It is MYSTerious.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "three marks of EXISTance."

Existance due to duality in language. Buddhism is not an airtight theory. It is provisional in need of interpretation in the context of an experience. It is not abstract. If it did not refer to our experience then it would be no value whatsoever.
  • @jeffrey In the mere seconds it took you to post a reply I guess you didnt ponder. Anyways.. enjoy your path.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think even faster than I type ;)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Tp,

You seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel. You seem also to be expressing solid qualities to archetypes, which is against the truth of non-self and transience. Archetpyes are not static, they shift depending on the associations in the brain in the perciever.

The reason we don't spend time applying a self, "this is for sure a bunny", is because that leads to suffering. If we see "we call this momentary arising a bunny for the sake of communicating" then we do not. Moreover, what you call a bunny does not point to the same qualities as everyone else, so clinging to X leads to dissonance with others.

You seem to do this with your words quite a bit. "No, I'm pointing at X, spend time looking and you'll see it" as though your mind is seeing truth, while theirs is cloudy. Words are only as good as their ability to carry a message. Perhaps more "rethink what TP is doing" and less "just think about it more, audience, and you'll see my wisdom."

With warmth,

Matt
    edited June 2011
    The 'wheel' is always being reinvented. This current attempt will be xxxth turning of the wheel. Reinventing wheels is called #@&@yana. Even when the wheel is turned as a square 'wheel', the adherents claim the inventor is another 'Buddha' amongst myriad 'Buddhas' :D
  • You seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel.
    Hardly. I think it is those who say that you cant understand the three marks without meditation are reinventing the wheel.

The Buddha taught dharma to people in a few hours, to the point of enlightenment. This is what some texts say, I belive it.

Dharma is simple, there is no mystical aspect, no majic, this is what I believe - I received the beliefs of those who disagree but don't wish to engage with them on the matter.

So... I want to know what is that the buddha taught that must have explained the three marks without meditation, and the four noble truths, from that.

It's so easy to criticse me, just as it is anything. That's easy meat and unless its backed up by answers to the questions, then its empty. This is true of all questions and all answers, whether we talk dharma or home economics.

Do you have an answer to the question: Why are the Three Marks of existence true of all conditioned things?

You seem also to be expressing solid qualities to archetypes, which is against the truth of non-self and transience. Archetpyes are not static, they shift depending on the associations in the brain in the perciever.

This has nothing to do with qualities or solidity, they are worldly, and just to do with this world, not all possible worlds.

Please read what I said to Jeffrey above. If you cant understand the idea of an abstract thing, being that which is true of all things, then we cant have a meaningful discussion on this point. It is central to my OP.

The reason we don't spend time applying a self, "this is for sure a bunny", is because that leads to suffering.</<blockquote>

No, the three marks are true of all things, irrespective of suffering, experience, value etc Do you see this? Do you and I have the same understanding even of what the starting point of Dharma is?
    You seem to do this with your words quite a bit.
    You seem to pick fault in posters rather than posted quite a bit too:) Try not to. Again, its so easy to find fault in the contingent. Easy meat.
    Perhaps more "rethink what TP is doing" and less "just think about it more, audience, and you'll see my wisdom."

Let me be very clear here. This is absolutely not my wisdom.

• The 'wheel' is always being reinvented. This current attempt will be xxxth turning of the wheel. Reinventing wheels is called #@&amp;@yana. Even when the wheel is turned as a square 'wheel', the adherents claim the inventor is another 'Buddha' amongst myriad 'Buddhas' :D
    I just cannot fathom the attitude. I'm not saying anything about this being a new invention of dharma. Nor am I making any claims to special wisdom. Quite the opposite.

male egos. Gosh.
    edited June 2011
    The Buddha taught the three marks to facilitate letting go & liberation. That which liberates is called 'dharma'. This is different from creating a meta-physical ontology about the three marks. "Why" there is the three marks is not really relevent. :D
  • The Buddha taught the three marks to facilitate letting go & liberation.
    Why did he?
    How do you know that?
    Why did he believe they were true?
    How did he think they condition the four noble truths?
    Did he think they were true of all possible states or just states that are perceived?
    "Why" there is the three marks is not really relevent.
    Why not? I have found it has utterly formed a foundation for my dharma. Am I mistaken? If so why and how?

Stating isn't explaining.

• The three marks are ultimate truths that are the basic principles of all existence. Knowing and realizing them is beneficial, and can be used as a basis for further theories, and comprehension of reality.
  • Explaining the three marks without resorting to meditative insight:

No worldly phenomena are permanent. They are all composed of constituent parts, which are further composed of more constituent parts, and so forth. This can be measured scientifically and reasonable inferences about this can be made.

The have no true existence from their own side, and they are independent of "me", so they are not-self, and I am not-self, because if you take away something like memory from "me", then I am no longer the "me" "I" thought "I"was.

If "I" try to impose a self or permanence onto phenomenal reality, "I" will be frustrated, stressed, and maybe even suffer because that's just not the way it is. Things are in a constant state of change/flux, and if "I" try to believe or act otherwise, "I" will eventually meet with frustration.

There you have it, folks. An explanation of the three marks of existence without reference to meditative insight. A little science or a little inferential reasoning will make it crystal clear.
  • The three marks are ultimate truths that are the basic principles of all existence. Knowing and realizing them is beneficial, and can be used as a basis for further theories, and comprehension of reality.
    Yes. Exactly. But why is this such a controversial claim with some?
  • There you have it, folks. An explanation of the three marks of existence without reference to meditative insight. A little science or a little inferential reasoning will make it crystal clear.
    I think I disagree. The Three Marks are pre-scientific and certainly pre-sentient. they are true of all possible realities that consist of at least three things which change.
    Because most of us are unenlightened. It is like a lost hidden treasure that only some may be lucky enough to find and take a share for reward.
    Partially because they may have already adopted a nice comfortable belief-system that meets their emotional needs and they want to keep their heads in the sand because it's more comfortable.

"My wife will always love and accept me the way I am and I don't have to change or grow as a human being because she will always love and accept me."

That's a common one.

• Because most of us are unenlightened. It is like a lost hidden treasure that only some may be lucky enough to find and take a share for reward.
    I don't think that can be it. I have a sneaking suspicion its the opposite: people want it deep and unobtainable, "The Mysterious Infinite Dharma....." not something kids can understand, like the three marks.

The Buddha says the hardest part of dharma to get is interdependent causation (dependent origination), and I would imagine most of us here understand that?

• @TP, what is this reference to "three things that change"? I must have been missing something. Where is it written that three things that change has to be part of the criteria? Besides, everything changes. That's what impermanence is about. I have never heard of this "three things that change" in this context (I just hope I'm not embarrassing the sh*t out of myself here...).

Sure they are pre-scientific and pre-sentient, but they are demonstrable by science and/or inference.
  • the three marks are 'suchness' (tathata), 'the fixed way things are' (niyama). imo, there is no need to explain "why". explaining why things change will not affect the reality of that change.

the Buddha taught causality so causes can be abandoned or developed. the 2nd truth states the cause of suffering is to be abandoned. the 4th truth states the path ("cause") to Nirvana is to be developed

but explaining why change occurs will not change change. we cannot be free from change. we cannot abandon the three marks. we can only accept them & realise them

imo, it is not necessary to explain "the cause" of the three marks

regards

• @TP, what is this reference to "three things that change"? I must have been missing something. Where is it written that three things that change has to be part of the criteria?
    In my OP. And in my pretty detailed attempt to explain to Jeffrey, the ABC stuff.
    Besides, everything changes. That's what impermanence is about.
    There is a possible abstract reality (though close to inconceivable) that is just one thing that never changes. It has no beginning, end or change.

In this abstract reality there can be no change. Even if we have two of these things, and nothing else, there can be no change. It is only when there are three of them , ABC, that we have the possibility of change.

Does that shed light or darkness on what I'm trying to get at. I can show it with a web cam and three pebbles:) I have three pebbles just for it. Up for it?
    I have never heard of this "three things that change" in this context (I just hope I'm not embarrassing the sh*t out of myself here...).
    No embarrassed required. Just an open and flexible mind;)
    Sure they are pre-scientific and pre-sentient, but they are demonstrable by science and/or inference.
    yes, because they are true of all things. We can imagine a reality of musical notes or numbers, they still adhere to the three marks.

Well wishes:)

edited June 2011
    Because what we believe are "further theories" just creates more confusion

Do we really believe the OP illuminates/ellucidates the 3 marks?

I did not notice the 2nd mark mentioned in the OP

• imo, it is not necessary to explain "the cause" of the three marks

imo, it is, and it is easy to do. (Though cause is the wrong word, "necessitation" is more apt.)

If you are not interested in this need for explanation, fine, but then I question why you attack those interested in trying to? Same with @amatt. I see countless things here I think are wrong view but, unless its obvious dogma, I stay out - though I used to be a sucker for getting involved.

Skills in silence. Practice hard.

edited June 2011
    the ABC stuff
    to me, it was incomprehensible calculus rather than 'ABCs'

ABC is for kindergarten (rather than for university atomic theory)

• imo, it is, and it is easy to do.

If you are not interested in this need for explanation, fine, but then I question why you attack those interested in trying to?
    you explained nothing much...sorry...

the OP must be read over and over again...and it does not even include the 2nd mark

• the ABC stuff
    to me, it was incomprehensible calculus rather than 'ABCs'

ABC is for kindergarten (rather than for university)

Explaining the three marks should, and could, be taught in kindergarten. The world would be a better place.

• the OP must be read over and over again...and it does not even include the 2nd mark

Not true.

Anyways, I find your negativity is making me negative, which I haven't felt here for a long time.

*I have become a dukka sukka!* Doh!

laters xx
  • TP, if the criteria of "three things that change" is only in your OP and not in some reasonable version of Buddhist logic then I suggest that it's an arbitrary criterion, and maybe not such a good one at that. We as Buddhists know that everything changes.

I'm getting so I just don't understand this whole exercise. The Three Marks are simple, pre-logical, pre-sentient, and easily demonstrable by explanation, science, or reasonable inference. I know you can take a joke, so I'm going to say that it seems you've made the "Hallelujah Chorus" out of "Chopsticks" here.

And people seemed to be getting tired of the dead horse, so I've substituted a picture of a recently passed bodhisattva here. He taught us patience. :D
    edited June 2011
    *I have become a dukka sukka!* Doh!
    OK. Back to the drawing board. Rome was not built in one day; nor Einstein's theory of whatever :wave:
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Reinventing wheels is called #@&amp;@yana.
    Lol, that is so funny.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    If you are not interested in this need for explanation, fine, but then I question why you attack those interested in trying to? Same with @amatt. I see countless things here I think are wrong view but, unless its obvious dogma, I stay out - though I used to be a sucker for getting involved.

Skills in silence. Practice hard.
    Lol, not male ego, not an attack. This "attack" sense must arise from the pride of your "one thing to beer" questioneer. When I read it, it sounded icky. A mash up between 3d metaphysical reality exposition and archetypes. They don't represent the three marks in a way that is helpful in the buddhist sense. Which, in my opinion, is about comprehension and renunciation of what we sense. That you punctuated the list with beer is irony.

I say, with utmost love and metta for you, I find that list clumsy and unhelpful, and almost certainly another stone that will set up more suffering for you. I could be wrong, I'm not enlightened, and I spoke up only to help.

If you do not claim this thing as yours, why does my distaste for it "attack" you?