Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why is lying bad?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I am not totally in the dark to this question but I wondered if I posted this if I would get any very clear/powerful answers or even a meme to explain.

Lying is a precept but why is it bad? Is it harmful some way?

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2011
    In my opinion, its not "bad", it just fuels formations in the brain. The self comes forward to keep alive something false, investing itself in a false reality. If lying is abandoned, the impetus to focus on something other than truth disappears, and reality becomes more clear.

This is obviously devoid of the social morality aspects, which seem to me to be a macrocosm of the same archetype.
  • Lieing itself isnt Bad.
    Its the reason why one lies that is.

I hear some Buddhist Traditions who say 'we should NEVER LIE.
    However, just say you were alive when Hilter was around. And you had jews hiding in your loft and he knocked on your door asking you 'do you have any jews in your house (knowing very well he was going to kill them) Do you lie and say No OR tell the truth and let hitler kill them??
    Which is right speech there?? and Which is right Action?? etc etc..

This is where Buddhism becomes debatable!!!!

The answer is: You know deep down what is the right thing to do. You dont need Buddha to tell you what to do. We dont Need Buddhas teachings for anything really. You know all the answers to all your questions deep down.
    Satya
  • Misleading to others? To what end? For good or ill? Do no harm!

Self Deception, different story... making a fool out of oneself. Telling myself I'm something when I'm not. Who am I really kidding? Who do you think you are?

Can you see the real me?
  • Right speech? Hmmmmmm...
    Even though I've given Zemyste a hard time on some other threads, I am once again forced to agree with him (or maybe her, not sure).

BUT, I feel I must play the "Devil's advocate". Let's consider the Hitler scenario that Zenmyste mentioned. I'm afraid that some could argue that Hitler killing the Jews in your loft would be HIS (Hitler's) karma, not yours. And by lying you don't dodge the bad karma that is created by their deaths because it's not your fault in the first place that they died. After all, YOU didn't kill them, HITLER did. So, by lying you just create more bad karma for yourself.

I know, it sounds silly, but some people probably think this way.
    Just some food for thought.

Metta
    Mr. Fell

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    It is hard enough to tell the truth. Let's not compound the difficulty by trying to evade it.
  • It is hard enough to tell the truth. Let's not compound the difficulty by trying to evade it.
    Only when there's a good enough reason to lie.
    Otherwise it should never be hard to tell the truth.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Asking why something is good or bad is to frame it in terms foreign to Buddhism. Maybe "Does lying cause suffering?" would point you in a better direction.
  • Yes thats a good analysis. So can we redirect the question to ask why the lie causes suffering? Is there more than one way in which it causes suffering?
  • There is nothing in the mind, so what is there to lie. Lying cause suffering because it contaminating your mind. A baby never lie and they started to lie because of worldly education.
  • auraaura Veteran
    Why is lying bad?
    Because after a while you'll start believing your own lies...
    and your own truth will be lost to you for good.

Buddhism and Christianity both hold that the truth sets one free.
    People, of course, are free to forge their own chains with which to imprison themselves
    as they wish.
  • Lying causes more suffering because it perpetuates delusion.

When you tell the truth, you are telling it as it is, thus making things clearer. For example, if someone stole something and you saw that person stealing and the police asked you and you told the truth, it makes things so much simpler for everyone. The police would have to do less investigative work, the victim would have quicker closure, and so on.

When you tell a lie, you are perpetuating a delusion. In the same scenario above, If you told a lie, the police would have to waste time doing more investigative work, the victim would have later closure, and so on. It perpetuates their suffering.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Being truthful is part of natural human psychology. Lying causes the mind to start to worry. When others lie to us, we don't like it. When we are continually found by others to be lying to them, others start to abandon us. Then we feel worse, with everyone avoiding us. Lying creates distrust and the foundation of life is trust. We trust the food we eat; we trust the air we breathe; we trust
  • nice answer dhamma dhatu
  • i will not promise i will not lye or kill because if my survival instinct finds it necessary i will do it!suppose somebody tries to kill you you may have to kill him for your survival to defend yourself!i find these principles and their absolute followers hard to stand in front of certain realities!suppose: you have seen this gangster kill somebody and he knows it and he is a mafia man that can eliminate you.. the police comes and asks you if you saw something what will you answer? to me it is very clear: to protect myself i will lye and say i did not see anything!i think this is my limit and the reason why i will never take some vows cause it is worst to break a vow than not to take it!YEMANJA
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Some Buddhists see the precepts too black and white.
    The precepts are gross simplifications.
    The fifth precept also is only a pointer; saying that as a rule it will probably be harmful when we deliberately mislead people.
    In most cases it is obvious and in other cases we can argue about it.

I think that ultimately all words are lies: they fail in expressing truth.
    All words are missing the point.

The point of Buddhism is liberation and the words, the concepts, and the preferences we identify with, make us seem more limited than we really are.

• Intention. Intention is the most important factor, I think.
    One I read that if there is a man who wants to kill many people, a Bidhisattwa would kill this man out of compassion (if this man kill people, he would make a lot of bad karma).
  • When you lie, your mind is not contemplating the Buddha's name.
  • Being truthful is part of natural human psychology. Lying causes the mind to start to worry. When others lie to us, we don't like it. When we are continually found by others to be lying to them, others start to abandon us. Then we feel worse, with everyone avoiding us. Lying creates distrust and the foundation of life is trust. We trust the food we eat; we trust the air we breathe; we trust
    I like that.

Lying is "bad" (leads to suffering) when it is used to hurt people. Lying is actually an act of aggression. The stress inherent in lying is what so-called lie detectors measure. It's the same stress your body feels when it's getting ready to fight.

But there are always conditions, in Buddhism. If Enlightement was a matter of obeying five or eight ethical rules, we wouldn't even need the Dharma. Intentions matter. The truth can be used as a weapon and lies can necessary to act with compassion.

• Some people just can't take the truth :D

My serious answer it that Intention is everything here.
    If I say "I will not lie" then to me, this is dogma. What I'm mindful of is my intention, only with right intention can I hope to have peace of mind
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    When you lie, your mind is not contemplating the Buddha's name.
    Or, more likely, when you are contemplating the Buddha's name you are lying ... big time.

• Lying undermines trust. If you lie to a person, that person will be less likely to trust in his fellow humans, and more likely to experience anxiety. As a consequence, meditation and spreading goodwill will become more difficult for that person, so you would be doing that person (and the world) a big dis-favour by lying to him or her.
  • better to reply in silence than to lie...
  • Just see how the mind its all tight when its lying, when it reflects on the lying, and social consequences of lying.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I don't think it is possible to be honest 100% of the time. That would be too... brutal. I'm not saying that everyone lies all the time, I just think that have a way of disguising the truth so it sounds better than what it is. to "put it in kinder terms" for example.

For instance, your wife asks you "does this make me look fat?" would you respond with "yes, that makes you look rather fat" or would you say something else? sometimes it is more compassionate to tell a bit of a fib than to just be straight with it.
  • Generally speaking lying only complicates matters. Thus it's not a very skillful practice to indulge in. However, having said that, there maybe time when telling a lie can be the path of least complication and least suffering. I've learned both of these lessons first hand.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It's odd, since this topic came up I've been pondering it. I can't quite tell you why lying is bad. At least in a general sense, although I could certainly point out specific situations when it's clearly wrong. But I guess I can boil it down -- for myself -- to this: I don't like it when someone lies to me or in my presence, so I'm pretty sure it must be wrong.
  • Generally speaking lying only complicates matters. Thus it's not a very skillful practice to indulge in. However, having said that, there maybe time when telling a lie can be the path of least complication and least suffering. I've learned both of these lessons first hand.
    I concur...
  • there is an advantage in some group of people, or a specific someone in not knowing something so soon...

as with all the precepts, use in accordance with ahimsa (what does none, or the less harm possible).
  • Lying is not bad, but if it leads to suffering for you or others then that would be bad. :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Lying is bad because nobody likes a liar. :)

• Lying according to the buddha is karmically unwholesome and and when cultivated habitually leads to rebirth in the lower realm.

Once again in the buddha's words "there is no evil that a liar is incapable of doing"

The mind is already deluded, so if you lie on a coarser level which is speech, the subtler mental activity of the mind also inclines towards the lying.

Devotion to truthfulness is an essential part of the path towards enlightenment.

Enlightened people don't lie, so if your serious about becoming enlightened better not lie.
  • Lying according to the buddha is karmically unwholesome and and when cultivated habitually leads to rebirth in the lower realm.

Once again in the buddha's words "there is no evil that a liar is incapable of doing"

The mind is already deluded, so if you lie on a coarser level which is speech, the subtler mental activity of the mind also inclines towards the lying.

Devotion to truthfulness is an essential part of the path towards enlightenment.

Enlightened people don't lie, so if your serious about becoming enlightened better not lie.
    - I'm less worried abut some rebirth that may or may not exist than I am about here and now.

- Frankly, there is no evil that any of us are incapable of doing.

- Honestly, overtime I become increasingly convinced that enlightenment is a delusion. At the very least I would be extremely leery of anyone claiming to be enlightened. At any rate enlightenment is not something that enters in to my intentions or practice. It is, at best, a next to impossible to realize long term goal. Again, I'm more concerned with here and now, this moment. Not some distant future that may never arrive.
  • Some people practice for the here and now. Some people practice for the liberation in the future. And thats ok.
  • The Abbot in my Zen center said that with a few exceptions we're lying to cover our butts. I would rephrase it as lying is used to strengthen our false self. The latter leads to suffering-- the less you strengthen it, the better.

But I think a really important point in Buddhism is that no action in and of itself is good or bad. It's the motivation that matters. *Most* of the time we lie in order to avoid dealing with the consequences of our actions and, indeed, ourselves. We drive ourselves deeper into the hole. But sometimes you may have to lie to save someone's life-- but that's pretty darn rare.