Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who declares someone a Buddha?

edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Who is it that states or declares that someone is/was a Buddha? I mean, is there an official body, authority who can name them. A bit like when someone is named a saint?

Also, is it known how many buddhas there have been since Gautama. Is there a list or something?

Thank you

B

Comments

• The Buddha himself.
    Its a self-declaration.
    Unlike the catholic church, the vatican declares the saints.
  • Oh ok. So i could say I was one for example. Would I have to not somehow prove it though?
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    So i could say I was one for example.
    Chances are, if there is someone flaunting their Buddhahood, they are not a Buddha.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The historical Buddha, Shakyamuni or Gautama Buddha, lived about 2,500 years ago in India. However, he was not the first Buddha, and will not be the last either. He taught that during this eon (very long time period, maybe comparable to the life-time of the universe as we know it), there would be 1,000 fully enlightened Buddhas who would introduce Buddhism (after it has been totally forgotten). The numbers one to three in this eon are Krakucchanda, Kanakamuni, Kashyapa, then comes Shakyamuni (the historical Buddha some 2,500 years ago), and the next Buddha will be called Maitreya.

From http://viewonbuddhism.org/buddha.html
  • Isn't everyone following buddhism a Buddha?
  • Yes, you could.
    and then, what?
    wait for followers to flock to you?
    Oh ok. So i could say I was one for example. Would I have to not somehow prove it though?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Oh ok. So i could say I was one for example. Would I have to not somehow prove it though?
    Why would you bother? Once you're free from the dart of mental stress and suffering, what's there left to prove? It's not like you get a blackbelt for becoming an arahant to show everybody or anything. :D

Of course, you could always try to show others the way to achieve the same happiness you did out of compassion, much the same way the Buddha did; but that doesn't really require you to prove anything or to worry about what others may think about you.
  • I somehow find the question of buddhas irrelevent to Buddhism.
  • Sorry - I think I may have been misunderstood. I wasn't actually implying that I think I am a Buddha, it was purely theoretical. Bad example using myself. Better English might have been to say

So, anyone could state they are a Buddha, but it's better that other people say, that person there, he's a budda (for example).

(pls remember I'm a newbie, I'm not being flippant, just quite basic)

Thank you

B
    edited September 2011
    Sorry - I think I may have been misunderstood. I wasn't actually implying that I think I am a Buddha, it was purely theoretical. Bad example using myself. Better English might have been to say

So, anyone could state they are a Buddha, but it's better that other people say, that person there, he's a budda (for example).

(pls remember I'm a newbie, I'm not being flippant, just quite basic)

Thank you

B
    Of course, people can say whatever they want, hence the old saying 'talk is cheap.' More often than not, an arahant (or awakened being) proves themselves through all their actions, not just their words. For example, the Buddha advised that:
    "It's through living together that a person's virtue may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.

"It's through dealing with a person that his purity may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.

"It's through adversity that a person's endurance may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.

"It's through discussion that a person's discernment may be known, and then only after a long period, not a short period; by one who is attentive, not by one who is inattentive; by one who is discerning, not by one who is not discerning.
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited September 2011
    hi Mrs Wig

a Buddha is a mind 100% free of greed, hatred, delusion, fear, self-centredness, etc

so a Buddha is known by their presence, behaviour & actions

for example, if you believe someone to be a Buddha or someone declared they themselves are a Buddha, then we can test them

for example, we can find a vicious dog or the most beautiful woman and set them upon the Buddha declarant

if they exhibit fear or delight then they are not a Buddha

best wishes

:)

• Thank you Jason and DD

I've been here a while, seeing, learning :)

@Gui how so? Surely me wanting to learn exactly who or what a buddha is is completely relevant to Buddhism? Or maybe I've missed the point ;)? I've been a scholar of Buddhism for a few years, however there are still some v basic questions I'd like to discuss, hence why I posted in the "no question too basic here" section .....

Thank you all so far,

With metta

B
  • Hello MrsWigs. Yes, welcome to the forum. And just remember (unlike I didn't as a newbie) that it's easy to read attitude into what people write when there is none there. Or sometimes there is, but who cares? I look back at my last post and it sounds a bit snooty. I just meant don't get hung up on buddhas. :)
  • Thank you Jason and DD

I've been here a while, seeing, learning :)

@Gui how so? Surely me wanting to learn exactly who or what a buddha is is completely relevant to Buddhism? Or maybe I've missed the point ;)? I've been a scholar of Buddhism for a few years, however there are still some v basic questions I'd like to discuss, hence why I posted in the "no question too basic here" section .....

Thank you all so far,

With metta

B
    I just meant that while it's interesting about buddhas, and we all owe Shakyamuni a great debt of graditude, the most important part is the practice. And part of the practice is how we perceive reality. And I have found the idea of buddhas and even the idea of enlightenment to be a powerful distraction. It's most likely from a more zen way of practice. And I also just have to say that even though I know a little, every time I say something I make a mistake. Why I've been so active on this site the last few days is a mystery to me. Cheers.
  • thanks Jason

i have been searching for this sutta :)

• Thank you Gui, I appreciate your response,

Regards,

B
  • The historical Buddha, Shakyamuni or Gautama Buddha, lived about 2,500 years ago in India. However, he was not the first Buddha, and will not be the last either. He taught that during this eon (very long time period, maybe comparable to the life-time of the universe as we know it), there would be 1,000 fully enlightened Buddhas who would introduce Buddhism (after it has been totally forgotten). The numbers one to three in this eon are Krakucchanda, Kanakamuni, Kashyapa, then comes Shakyamuni (the historical Buddha some 2,500 years ago), and the next Buddha will be called Maitreya.

Is that just on earth or are we talking universe/universes here ? Just that I presume that there would be Buddhas on other planets that harbor intelligent life, of course I may be wrong though.
    :confused:

Is that just on earth or are we talking universe/universes here ? Just that I presume that there would be Buddhas on other planets that harbor intelligent life, of course I may be wrong though.
    :confused:
    I don't know, I've wondered that myself. It doesn't seem possible in human history to have had 3 previous Buddha's teachings come and go before Shakyamuni. I suppose for it to make sense the appearance of the 1,000 Buddhas would have to be across the universe. But then how to square that with supposedly Amitaba Buddha's pure land.

Its just whats taught, I don't know if its right or what it means.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited September 2011
    The historical Buddha, Shakyamuni or Gautama Buddha, lived about 2,500 years ago in India. However, he was not the first Buddha, and will not be the last either. He taught that during this eon (very long time period, maybe comparable to the life-time of the universe as we know it), there would be 1,000 fully enlightened Buddhas who would introduce Buddhism (after it has been totally forgotten). The numbers one to three in this eon are Krakucchanda, Kanakamuni, Kashyapa, then comes Shakyamuni (the historical Buddha some 2,500 years ago), and the next Buddha will be called Maitreya.

Well, why are they teaching Buddhism if they know no one will become enlightened/free of suffering (the goal of Buddhism)?
    :-/
    Well, why are they teaching Buddhism if they know no one will become enlightened/free of suffering (the goal of Buddhism)?
    :-/
    Supposedly it takes 3 eons to accumulate the neccesary amount of merit to become a fully enlightened Buddha. So hop to it. :)
  • The Buddha is a title that was used to reference the one who achieved complete awakening and liberation. The Buddha did not say "I am the Buddha." He said, "T
    hi Mrs Wig

a Buddha is a mind 100% free of greed, hatred, delusion, fear, self-centredness, etc

so a Buddha is known by their presence, behaviour & actions

for example, if you believe someone to be a Buddha or someone declared they themselves are a Buddha, then we can test them

for example, we can find a vicious dog or the most beautiful woman and set them upon the Buddha declarant

if they exhibit fear or delight then they are not a Buddha

best wishes

:)

I do agree with you, but if I was in this situation, I definitely wouldn't want to risk drawing blood of an enlightened Buddha. Maybe just make him watch a scary movie or something and see if he flinches?

eh? eh? :sawed:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    There are some semantics at play here. The word "Buddha" has at least two implications:

1) The historical founder of Buddhism. He is called the Buddha by his followers not only because he is liberated, but because he taught a path to liberation for all others. When his teachings are long forgotten by the world, it is expected that some day another will awaken and teach (i.e. be the next Buddha).

2) The word "Buddha" or "buddha" is often used synonymously for a fully liberated or enlightened being, similar to the word "Arahant" that the historical Buddha used to describe a fully liberated mind.

The problem is that traditions use different terms and in different ways. Not only that, but in the Mahayana for instance they do not believe there is an "equivalent" enlightenment to the Buddha; they believe only the singular founder of the teachings (current or future) has eliminated all "delusion". In the Theravada, the historical Buddha equates his enlightenment with the enlightenment of an Arahant, saying both have eliminated all ignorance (which includes all greed, hatred and delusion).

So we should be aware of these issues and differing views. When we're talking about complete liberation from suffering, it's best to walk lightly when we use these terms that can be taken in different ways. We may say we want to be a Buddha, and someone will turn around and tell us it takes aeons and there can only be one... obviously that's a problematic Q&A. ;)
  • wouldn't it be nice if we honored those who are buddhas instead of honoring sports athletes?
    i've recently come to the conclusion that there is only enlightened activity. the verb with no subject.

a buddha is declared by his/her peace of mind. how they move in the world. with wisdom and compassion.
    No. A Buddha is someone who has attained full enlightenment. We all have a Buddha nature, but we are not Buddhas (most of us).
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, what @Mountains said. :) Buddha-Nature means that we have the innate nature of emptiness (we are empty, we just don't see it)... and, just like Siddhartha Gautama and countless others, have the capability of realizing that nature and ending the cycle of suffering. It doesn't mean that we're already liberated from suffering, but that our suffering is mind-wrought due to ignorance and can end.
  • Maybe just make him watch a scary movie or something and see if he flinches?
    :lol:
  • There will be masters having enlightenment on the level of realization, for actualization is not as easily achieveable. According to Bodhidharma who is a true buddha in actualization mentioned that his succession continued until the 6th Patriarch Huìnéng.

XuánjuéAccording to the Song of Enlightenment (證道歌 Zhèngdào gē) by Yǒngjiā Xuánjué (665-713)[22]—one of the chief disciples of Huìnéng, sixth Patriarch of Chán—Bodhidharma was the 28th Patriarch of Buddhism in a line of descent from Śākyamuni Buddha via his disciple Mahākāśyapa, and the first Patriarch of Chán:

Mahakashyapa was the first, leading the line of transmission;
    Twenty-eight Fathers followed him in the West;
    The Lamp was then brought over the sea to this country;
    And Bodhidharma became the First Father here
    His mantle, as we all know, passed over six Fathers,
    And by them many minds came to see the Light.[23]

The idea of a line of descent from Śākyamuni Buddha is the basis for the distinctive lineage tradition of the Chán school. :thumbsup:
  • Huh... I thought there was a committee that voted or something :)
    No. A Buddha is someone who has attained full enlightenment. We all have a Buddha nature, but we are not Buddhas (most of us).
    What is 'full enlightenment'?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @ddrishi
    Full enlightenment, or full liberation, is where the Four Noble Truths have been fully penetrated by the mind. All ignorance/craving abated, the causes for suffering are no longer present; they have been uprooted at the source. There is no greed, hatred or delusion, only clear seeing of reality (clarity). Each tradition has its own terminologies for the depth of liberation... in Theravada there are 4 stages, in Mahayana there are 10 bhumis, and so on. Full enlightenment is the point at which there is nothing further required to escape suffering; it is the complete cessation of the cycle of suffering, the complete unbinding. Nirvana.

That's a description, but it's hard for us to understand because it's so different from our normal mode of thought/being. Enlightened beings have gone beyond likes and dislikes, acquiring a stillness of mind that is undisturbed whatever the circumstances, and yet still acts. Still, flowing water.
    What is 'full enlightenment'?
    Complete cessation of attachment/clinging. As far as I can define it.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Who is it that states or declares that someone is/was a Buddha? I mean, is there an official body, authority who can name them. A bit like when someone is named a saint?

Also, is it known how many buddhas there have been since Gautama. Is there a list or something?

Thank you

B
    There is a pantheon of Buddhas, yes, but these are not historical figures or if they are, the origin of the beliefs are lost to us. For instance, there is the Medicine Buddha, treated as a healing deity.

If you are from a school of Buddhism that sees a Buddha as one who is transformed into supernatural perfection and powers, then a Buddha is self-evident. If you are from a school of Buddhism where a Buddha is a person who has eliminated selfish desires in his or her mind and comprehended the Dharma as taught by our founder, then there are lots of Buddhas and it's no big deal. It's what Buddhism is designed to produce, after all.

But who awards the Buddha crown on people? That would be his or her followers, in any case. When enough Buddhists agree among themselves that someone was a Buddha, then the title sticks. Democracy in action.
  • Thank you Cinorjer. Your last paragraph summed it up for me :)

B
  • A buddha is someone who re-introduce dhamma that
    was lost.
    So, when a buddha appears, he will be the 1st buddhist.
    so, i am afraid its not democracy in action.

Thank you

B
    There is a pantheon of Buddhas, yes, but these are not historical figures or if they are, the origin of the beliefs are lost to us. For instance, there is the Medicine Buddha, treated as a healing deity.

If you are from a school of Buddhism that sees a Buddha as one who is transformed into supernatural perfection and powers, then a Buddha is self-evident. If you are from a school of Buddhism where a Buddha is a person who has eliminated selfish desires in his or her mind and comprehended the Dharma as taught by our founder, then there are lots of Buddhas and it's no big deal. It's what Buddhism is designed to produce, after all.

But who awards the Buddha crown on people? That would be his or her followers, in any case. When enough Buddhists agree among themselves that someone was a Buddha, then the title sticks. Democracy in action.