Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I Don't Want to Attain Nibbana.

edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
To clarify, it's not that I don't want to attain Nibbana, it's that I don't think it's necessary. I want to be the best person I can be, to rid myself of petty and damaging desires, and to generate good kamma by practicing loving-kindness. Enlightenment can be reached by doing these things, but it's fine with me if I don't make it and am reborn. Dying knowing that I have served others faithfully and lived with selflessness is enough.

I don't understand why Buddhists consider attaining Nibbana to be a priority.

Comments

• you should read the heart sutra as it touches upon what you are talking of.
    there is no attainment for there is only nirvana/samsara. nirvana being the cessation of suffering/clinging and samsara being the clinging/suffering.
    when you are trying to save others/yourself from drowning you first must learn/know how to swim.

you don't attain nirvana as nirvana exists right here and now. when we rest in the bodhimind we see clearly and in doing so that is wisdom. out of such wisdom is compassion of letting go.

if you practice and are sincere in your practice then you'll realize that the practice itself was enlightenment. first the motivation was there to achieve something, but then it is learned that there was nothing to achieve but just a clouded mind that needed some cleaning.

in one moment of peace there is nirvana. in one moment of clinging there is samsara. to accept both is to live the path of a bodhisattva. neither staying in nirvana or samsara and thus accepting both the bodhisattva vows to save all beings.

reach a large goal for it is the only way you can really help beings. even if you fail at least you tried.
    Kotishka
  • I Don't Want to Attain Nibbana.

This is such a noble sentiment, Chiisai_Pholcidae68@ - however - with such a compassionate outlook - you are doomed (so to speak) to Nibbana. Some of us share your desire - some must have enlightenment (or at least believe deeply that it can be realized in this present lifetime) - either way - practicing or not - if the Bhodisattvas have their way - all beings shall enter enlightenment...

• ...you are doomed (so to speak) to Nibbana.
    The humanity!

:bawl:
  • if the Bhodisattvas have their way - all beings shall enter enlightenment...
    But not necessarily in the current lifetime. Chiisai may get his/her wish, to return at least once more to finish his/her walk on the path next time.

I agree with you, btw, Chiisai. It's all about kindness and compassion in this lifetime.
  • You cannot fail to achieve what you claim to not want.

Did somebody tell you otherwise?

• ...you are doomed (so to speak) to Nibbana.
    The humanity!

:bawl:
    I don't think you have to worry, because as long as you ...
    don't understand why Buddhists consider attaining Nibbana to be a priority.
    ... there is not the slightest danger to attain it.

Best wishes
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited October 2011

I don't think you have to worry, because as long as you ...
    This statement might be a bit narrow minded. IMO someone can get there without even knowing there is a path that describes the 'how to'.
    I find that a lot of religions work with idioms or picturesque ideals. Some people don't need the "carrot and the stick" approach. :)
  • Well, the Dhammapada does say that Nibbana is "the highest happiness" since all forms of craving are extinguished and there is no more "dukkha". Since Buddhism is all about the cessation of dukkha, this may be a reason why Buddhists "consider attaining Nibbana to be a priority".

If you "rid [yourself] of petty and damaging desires" and practice loving-kindness in an attempt to be the best person you can be, you're pretty much well on your way. There is, of course, some more to it than that.

You say that you don't mind being reborn. Buddha recognized and is very considerate of the fact that lay Buddhists still very much live within the sensual world, and are therefore subject to rebirth in the rounds of Samsara. He never expected householders to follow the Vinaya (monastic codes of conduct) and practice as renunciate monks or nuns. Instead, as a result of present kusala kamma (wholesome actions), householders can have a more "favorable rebirth" - such as in the heavenly realm of devas.

Having a better rebirth is hard work. In fact, in AN 5.43 Buddha stated, "It's not fitting for the disciple of the noble ones who desires rebirth in heaven to pray for it or to delight in doing so. Instead, the disciple of the noble ones who desires rebirth in heaven should follow the path of practice leading to rebirth in heaven. In so doing, he will attain rebirth in heaven."

I guess all I'm trying to say is just keep being the best person you can be. You can't go wrong with that! :clap:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011
    The question is this: what is nirvana?

I'll echo iron rabbit with a story I have heard. There was once a monk who prayed every day that he would go to hell so that he could help the hell beings. Each day. When he died he did not go to hell because he had been so kind and loving and unattached.

• I don't think you have to worry, because as long as you ...
    This statement might be a bit narrow minded. IMO someone can get there without even knowing there is a path that describes the 'how to'.
    I find that a lot of religions work with idioms or picturesque ideals. Some people don't need the "carrot and the stick" approach. :)
    I don't think that one can "stumble into Nibbana" by accident (if that is what you want to say). Even if one doesn't know the path yet, one has to have an awareness of the problem in order to *search* (and hopefully find) the path out of it. That was my point.

Best wishes

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    To the OP: In my view, few people here will reach nibanna is this life time...if indeed such a state literally exists. Most of us will be lucky if we reach what you have expressed. You have expressed such a good sentiment.

• I don't think that one can "stumble into Nibbana" by accident (if that is what you want to say). Even if one doesn't know the path yet, one has to have an awareness of the problem in order to *search* (and hopefully find) the path out of it. That was my point.

Best wishes

I think I understand what you mean.

Also, it's not just that I don't think it's necessary, but I don't want to expect too much of myself. I'm a perfectionist and have a bad habit of holding myself to higher standards than I can ever possibly meet, and then get angry with myself for not meeting them. Having it in my mind to achieve Nibbana would probably do me more damage than good.

• To clarify, it's not that I don't want to attain Nibbana, it's that I don't think it's necessary. I want to be the best person I can be, to rid myself of petty and damaging desires, and to generate good kamma by practicing loving-kindness. Enlightenment can be reached by doing these things, but it's fine with me if I don't make it and am reborn. Dying knowing that I have served others faithfully and lived with selflessness is enough.
    I used to have an analogous sentiment in my early 20s as a Christian fundamentalist regarding "heaven" (which really disturbed a lot of people) and carried this over in my late 20s as a more "liberal Christian," where I felt that heaven was simply irrelevant when I felt compassion was what mattered most.

And, to be honest, that still carries over with me today and this is what appeals to me about the Bodhisattva in the Mahayana tradition-- the idea that (mytho-poetically speaking) one may attain nirvana, but rather than reside there, she forgoes nirvana until all other beings have reached nirvana themselves first. The Bodhisattva is a means to an end for all other beings to enter nirvana. The Bodhisattva becomes the raft to help beings to the other shore.

BUT...

by the same token, deepening one's practice and understanding of the Buddha Way is important because compassion is perfected by wisdom. It isn't that one should seek awakening FOR ONESELF but rather that one deepens their practice, but for the sake of all beings. That's what the Four Bodhisattva Vows are all about. Your practice isn't just about YOU. After all, you are not a separate being, but interdependently tied to everyone and everything around you.

It's just like the safety instructions on a plane-- when the oxygen masks come out, the first thing they tell you is put YOUR mask on first, and only THEN help the one next to you-- this is not out of selfishness, but rather hat your help may not be very effective if YOU are struggling for air yourself. In such a situation, BOTH you and the passenger could end up dead.

I think it is similar with the Buddha Way. It isn't that awakening to reality is not important-- but one's attitude toward it does matter.