Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karma and Rebirth.

edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I am not a Buddhist yet. I am just like a little chick pecking at pieces of information about Buddhism and steadily applying them to my life.

Thus, I do not understand rebirth well. I must admit that it is probably because I haven't been studying it, but seeing as newbuddhist.com provides its beginners with concise and personal answers, it wouldn't hurt to begin here.

Karma is cause. Is, say, an animal the manifestation of the effects of one's actions?

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Well, first off I'd like to say that not all Buddhists believe in rebirth. From what I've seen here, the people seem to be split on this forum as to whether or not rebirth happens. Its kind of a "controversial" topic here. I, myself, am torn as to whether or not to believe in rebirth. There doesn't seem to be any (or very little) evidence supporting it - so for the most part it'd be faith based (and I think Buddhism teaches that we should not be attached to beliefs).

But anyways, welcome to the forum. :) If you ask Mountains nicely, he might teach you the secret handshake.
  • Not only do some believe in rebirth and others don't, there are varying interpretations on what rebirth means among those who believe, ranging from something more like out-and-out reincarnation to those who take no-self (anatman) into account and have a more "philosophical" approach (for lack of a better term).

Either way, it is still a peripheral issue: the core of Buddhism is the Four Noble Truths.

If you don't understand karma and rebirth, that's OK-- it took me a long time before I could even begin to wrap my head around it. For someone new to Buddhism, I'd suggest putting rebirth on the back burner and focus on the really important stuff, like the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path. :)
  • i view it as complexity in the levels of consciousness. as such rebirth is a metaphor of where the mind is. the literal notion of a rebirth cannot be proved, thus i don't necessarilly feel it is important to the freedom from suffering.

so those who crave and crave hard can be called hungry ghosts. those who are ignorant and only strive to survive are like animals. those who are like the gods enjoy a life of comfort and wellbeingness but lack the motivation to study the dharma thus they never free themselves totally.

get what i am getting it?

rebirth is the metaphor and karma is the causation that is refering to the state of mind.

buddhism is pointing to the ceasation of rebirth by cultivating the right karma.

just my humble opinion.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I am not a Buddhist yet. I am just like a little chick pecking at pieces of information about Buddhism and steadily applying them to my life.

Thus, I do not understand rebirth well. I must admit that it is probably because I haven't been studying it, but seeing as newbuddhist.com provides its beginners with concise and personal answers, it wouldn't hurt to begin here.

Karma is cause. Is, say, an animal the manifestation of the effects of one's actions?
    If you're interested, you can find some of my thoughts about kamma and rebirth here and here, respectively
  • Although the Buddha said to test everything, it's okay to have faith in what the Buddha taught; even if you can't directly test it. This isn't blind faith, but faith based on the principle that the Buddha was right about 'this', so maybe he's right about 'that'.

And the more I study Buddhism, the more I'm coming round to thinking there's actually something in rebirth.

The doctrine of Dependant Arising and my current study of the mind from a Buddhist perspective helps me gain some faith in rebirth; but to understand why, you need to study both subjects and investigate them for yourself. Is the mind separate from brain? What are the properties of mind? What are the causes of mind? That sort of thing. And dependant arising explains that when you plant an apple seed, you get an apple tree; not an orange tree. You get a result similar to the cause.

Now can matter produce a mind that experiences? We can produce a computer 'brain'; but that's not aware. And the main cause for consciousness is a previous moment of consciousness (sounds obvious; but think about it).

So, if after study, contemplation and meditation that you conclude that mind is separate from brain, that matter cannot produce consciousness, and that the main cause of consciousness is a previous moment of consciousness; then these things may point to rebirth.

It's still a bit confused in my own mind; but what I'm trying to point out is that you can reach some sort of conclusion about rebirth without relying on blind faith; there are ways to investigate, contemplate and meditate on this subject.

I also think a belief in rebirth may help with motivation to practise; and motivation is also a big topic in Buddhism.

Just a few thoughts; apologies for not taking the time to present them a little more clearly.
  • To me, rebirth and karma are aspects of the same thing (you can't have one without the other).

Karma is simply cause and effect: it's not universal justice, or getting what you deserve, its just a dispassionate force, like gravity. You fall off a cliff, you're going to keep going until you hit the bottom: gravity doesn't care if you're really a good person or not. Same as karma (kamma): the results of your actions, good or bad, happen because that is the moral law of the universe. A bad action sows a bad seed, a good action sows a good seed (although ultimately the words 'good' and 'bad' are simply based on ones perspective, which can change).

The way I understand Rebirth, karma does not cease when our body ceases, but continues on, like ripples in a pond. Long after I am gone, the things I have done, good and bad, will continue to produce ripples. It makes sense to me to believe that this karma is the seed that causes my next rebirth. I am not sure it is reincarnation, in the traditional sense, but in some way, the causes and conditions of this life will lead to the next. As the analogy goes, like lighting one candle with another. Each flame is unique, but 'caused' by the previous flame, like links in a chain.

And if you think my understanding of karma is a bit dismal, that karma sounds like a trap, that's because it is. Buddhist practice is a way to escape that trap, to transcend it and no longer be bound by the rigid laws of karma, cause and effect.

My understanding is evolving, but that is my position currently.
  • I would say your undersatnding is very close to what
    Buddha taught. Sadhu.
    To me, rebirth and karma are aspects of the same thing (you can't have one without the other).

Karma is simply cause and effect: it's not universal justice, or getting what you deserve, its just a dispassionate force, like gravity. You fall off a cliff, you're going to keep going until you hit the bottom: gravity doesn't care if you're really a good person or not. Same as karma (kamma): the results of your actions, good or bad, happen because that is the moral law of the universe. A bad action sows a bad seed, a good action sows a good seed (although ultimately the words 'good' and 'bad' are simply based on ones perspective, which can change).

The way I understand Rebirth, karma does not cease when our body ceases, but continues on, like ripples in a pond. Long after I am gone, the things I have done, good and bad, will continue to produce ripples. It makes sense to me to believe that this karma is the seed that causes my next rebirth. I am not sure it is reincarnation, in the traditional sense, but in some way, the causes and conditions of this life will lead to the next. As the analogy goes, like lighting one candle with another. Each flame is unique, but 'caused' by the previous flame, like links in a chain.

And if you think my understanding of karma is a bit dismal, that karma sounds like a trap, that's because it is. Buddhist practice is a way to escape that trap, to transcend it and no longer be bound by the rigid laws of karma, cause and effect.

My understanding is evolving, but that is my position currently.
  • "For people on the Buddha’s path of liberation, understanding
    the relationship between action and karma is important. The central
    teaching the Buddha gave concerning karma is that our
    actions are consequential, and that it’s possible to act in ways that
    lead to beneficial consequences. This teaching is based on the
    understanding that we can know and choose which actions to
    engage in and which to refrain from in order to achieve peace and
    well being, and to avoid suffering. Rather than emphasizing past
    and future lives, as people often do when discussing karma, the
    Buddha’s teachings point to the importance of the present
    moment as the only time we can take responsibility for, and train
    in, the actions that bring freedom.
    Because of the important role of karma, the Buddha emphasized
    being mindful of what we do rather than what we are—and
    here, we can think of ‘doing’ as encompassing mental activities as
    well as external actions."
  • Believing "rebirth" is one of the minimum requirement to be called a "Buddhist". It's one of the basic truth taught by Buddha under "Buddhism 101".

Not believing in rebirth is like learning math but refuse to believe "1+1 = 2".

The importance of believing in rebirth is emphosis that our actions causes consequences, MORE IMPORTANTLY, it causes consequences that we do not see straight away.

It also removes our tendencies to complain about bad luck, fate, unfair god, and other people or our environment to cause us suffering.

• Believing in rebirth is not a requirement for concentration, insight or compassion. Probably doesn't hinder it though.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Believing "rebirth" is one of the minimum requirement to be called a "Buddhist". It's one of the basic truth taught by Buddha under "Buddhism 101".

Not believing in rebirth is like learning math but refuse to believe "1+1 = 2".

The importance of believing in rebirth is emphosis that our actions causes consequences, MORE IMPORTANTLY, it causes consequences that we do not see straight away.

It also removes our tendencies to complain about bad luck, fate, unfair god, and other people or our environment to cause us suffering.

There is no such requirement.

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @ Ada_B and vinlyn -- very well said!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Believing "rebirth" is one of the minimum requirement to be called a "Buddhist".
    I disagree. According to the Buddha, a lay-follower (or practitioner) is one who's gone to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha for refuge [as guides], and is committed to the practice to the best of one's ability. But as far as I know, there's no sort of Buddhist excommunication if you don't believe in rebirth (postmortem or otherwise).

That said, I do agree that rebirth can be a useful teaching. Being open to teachings on rebirth, for example, has the potential to lead to skillful actions. As Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains in "Faith in Awakening":
    ...instead of an empirical proof for his teaching on karma, the Buddha offered a pragmatic proof: If you believe in his teachings on causality, karma, rebirth, and the four noble truths, how will you act? What kind of life will you lead? Won't you tend to be more responsible and compassionate?
    But in the end, I don't think it really matters which view of rebirth one holds, if any, because the actual practice is still the same. What truly matters is what one does with the teachings, not what one believes about them. That's why I think the Buddha likened his teachings to a raft in MN 22:
    ...I have taught the Dhamma compared to a raft, for the purpose of crossing over, not for the purpose of holding onto. Understanding the Dhamma as taught compared to a raft, you should let go even of Dhammas, to say nothing of non-Dhammas.
    I'm open-minded about rebirth.

One of the problems I see is that lots of people on this forum see karma as your own state of mind, rather than anything else. And it seems to be that that's a problem if you believe that karma determines the status of rebirth.

Obviously, this concept is not solid. But, rebirth is very possible.
  • As others have pointed out, a belief in rebirth is not necessary to be a practicing Buddhist. There is no "blind faith" to be found in Buddhism. In fact, the "faith" in Buddhism is called "saddha", which is more accurately translated as "confidence". This refers to confidence in the Buddha's enlightenment which inspires us to put his teachings into practice. "Blind faith" in Buddhism could be likened to "silabbatupadana" or clinging to faith in the moral efficacy of mere outward rules and rituals, "attavadupadana" or clinging to the belief in either an eternal or a temporary ego-entity/independent self, or "ditthupadana" which is the unyielding adherence to and identification with views (which could even included rebirth!). All of these are considered types of clinging (upadana).

That being said, Ada_B's comment is pretty much close to the mark. Kamma and rebirth are connected principles. So long as beings are obstructed by ignorance and fettered by craving, they will be prompted to endeavor volitional actions (kamma), which will eventually bear fruit (vipaka). This is mentioned in the second Noble Truth, which states that craving "leads to further becoming, accompanied by delight and passion, relishing now here and there; that is, (the Three Fires of) craving for sensual pleasures, craving for becoming, craving for extermination."

Basically, it is kamma-vipaka which perpetuates the cyclic existence of life and death called Samsara. There are even various instances within the suttas in which fully enlightened monks had to experience the fruition of their past kamma (such as Maha-Moggallana). Also, although further becoming or "rebirth" is a continuing process which seems to last for an inconceivably long time, there is an end to the process. When Nibbana is attained, there is no more future becoming.

Buddha tells Ananda in the Bhava Sutta (AN 3.76), that "kamma is the field, consciousness the seed, and craving the moisture. The consciousness of living beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving is established in/tuned to a lower property (sense-sphere), middling property (form-sphere), or refined property (formless-sphere). Thus there is the production of renewed becoming in the future."

There is another important sutta on this subject called the Apannaka Sutta (MN 60), which is also called the "Safe Bet Sutta". Thanissaro Bhikkhu's introduction summarizes it as follows: "The Buddha's main pragmatic argument is that if one accepted his teachings, one would be likely to pay careful attention to one's actions, so as to do no harm. This in and of itself is a worthy activity regardless of whether the rest of the path was true. When applying this argument to the issue of rebirth and karmic results, the Buddha sometimes coupled it with a second pragmatic argument that resembles Pascal's wager: If one practices the Dhamma, one leads a blameless life in the here-and-now. Even if the afterlife and karmic results do not exist, one has not lost the wager, for the blamelessness of one's life is a reward in and of itself. If there is an afterlife with karmic results, then one has won a double reward: the blamelessness of one's life here and now, and the good rewards of one's actions in the afterlife. These two pragmatic arguments form the central message of this sutta."

So, according to this sutta, whether or not there is rebirth doesn't really matter so long as one practices the Dhamma - for its rewards can be known right here and now.
  • edited October 2011
    I guess this sort of attitude is nothing new on here. I see being "open minded" gets mentioned on here alot, but it seems the mind narrows dramatically when faced aspect of teaching that requires you be more cautious with your actions, or possibily have more concern with one's behaviour. The argument of "blind faith" always get pulled out.

This really comes to one making more excuses to monitor one's behaviour... what next? One has to follow the precepts with more diligence?

By the way, I don't follow the Pali Canon or the Suttas.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Karma or Conditionality is an explanation of cause and effect, of the conditions that give rise to and support temporary states of mind and form (without which, those states pass away). Combined with Dependent Origination we can see the causal chain that links Ignorance to all of our Suffering (Dukkha). If we are serious about the cessation of suffering, we should understanding rebirth as "of ignorance", "of the delusion of self", "of suffering", "of greed, hatred and delusion" and so on, and not ever of an individual/being. There is no one, only fleeting states of mind and form, empty of identity.
  • jlljll Veteran
    "Literal rebirth is an entirely optional component"
    You either accept Buddhism as it is or you dont.
    Literal rebirth is an integral part of Buddha's teaching.
    You can reject it.
    But please do not say it is an optional part of Buddhism.
  • Funny, I always thought the Four Noble Truths was essence of Buddhism.
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited October 2011
    An old Buddhist story, relevant to topics such as these:

One day Mara, the Evil One, was travelling through the villages of India with his attendants. he saw a man doing walking meditation whose face was lit up on wonder. The man had just discovered something on the ground in front of him. Mara’s attendant asked what that was and Mara replied, "A piece of truth."

"Doesn’t this bother you when someone finds a piece of truth, O Evil One?" his attendant asked. "No," Mara replied. "Right after this, they usually make a belief out of it."
    I guess this sort of attitude is nothing new on here. I see being "open minded" gets mentioned on here alot, but it seems the mind narrows dramatically when faced aspect of teaching that requires you be more cautious with your actions, or possibily have more concern with one's behaviour. The argument of "blind faith" always get pulled out.

This really comes to one making more excuses to monitor one's behaviour... what next? One has to follow the precepts with more diligence?

I wasn't aware that judgmental-ism was an inherent aspect of Buddhism, either.

• I guess this sort of attitude is nothing new on here. I see being "open minded" gets mentioned on here alot, but it seems the mind narrows dramatically when faced aspect of teaching that requires you be more cautious with your actions, or possibily have more concern with one's behaviour. The argument of "blind faith" always get pulled out.

I don't think that I need the teaching of rebirth in order be cautious with my actions. Paying attention to my behavior and the consequences of my actions in the real world works for me. For me the word re-birth makes no sense. I did not exist before I was born. How can I expect to be reborn. Perhaps another being will call itself me, who knows? But it sure won't be me.
  • Why take care of yourself now for the purpose of some future you? Isn't this future you a stranger? Then what is the purpose of eating healthy or having a peaceful mind? If such person is a stranger and not you then why bother?

If such natural compassion exists for a stranger then with correct view we can take care of everyone because everyone is a stranger.

Rebirth is constantly occuring. There is no birth, old age and sickness and there no is no end to birth, old age and sickness. Such is bodhisattvas path towards awakening. Every moment is a different moment. This is what rebirth is point to. The buddha freed himself by seeing reality as it is. If one doesn't cling to mind then what use is it to cling to space? There is only the stranger. Shower everything with love!
  • "Literal rebirth is an entirely optional component"
    You either accept Buddhism as it is or you dont.
    Literal rebirth is an integral part of Buddha's teaching.
    You can reject it.
    But please do not say it is an optional part of Buddhism.
    Agreed.

Another advantage on believing in rebirth is to remove our hatred for the rich and jealousy for the more fortunate. Because we realise that nothing is controlled by luck or unfair fate or mis-placed fortune. Everyone's place of birth and their "natural" ability are dictated by their actions in the past. Hence we all deserve what we get.

• jlljll Veteran
    Interesting that you say you dont follow the pali canon.
    Have you ever thought where your Buddhism come from?
    Buddhism comes from the pali canon.
    All 3 buddhist schools accept the pali canon as buddha's
    teachings.
    No pali canon, no buddhism.

I don't think that I need the teaching of rebirth in order be cautious with my actions. Paying attention to my behavior and the consequences of my actions in the real world works for me. For me the word re-birth makes no sense. I did not exist before I was born. How can I expect to be reborn. Perhaps another being will call itself me, who knows? But it sure won't be me.