Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Alan Watts?

Telly03Telly03 Veteran
edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
A question that was asked of us attending the orientation at our local Sangha, was "what influenced our decision to learn about Buddhism and visit the Sangha?" Well I went on to explain how i got caught up in watching Alan Watts utube videos, causing me to dwell in thought on many certain things... I wasn't even aware at first that Alan Watts was even Buddhist, but enjoyed the deep thinking subjects. It appeared to me that my answer was unsettling for the lady providing the orientation, and I left thinking that his views were not entirely in line with this Sangha, but I am still unsure as to why... I mean, I know Alan wrote books on Zen, and this is a Zen Sangha... Is there something not in agreement?

Does anyone know what would be conflicting in his views? I enjoy listening to him lecture and have yet to pick out anything controversial to the Zen teachings I am learning from other venues thus far.

Or perhaps I read her all wrong and there is not an issue with him?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Telly03 -- Anything or anyone that floats your boat -- inspires or makes you curious -- strikes me as OK in Zen Buddhism ... as long as you take up a practice like zazen as a means of knowing what you claim to think or believe.

Alan Watts puts some people's teeth on edge because, perhaps, they think he is a featherweight ... lots of talk the talk and not quite so much walk the walk. Anyone can talk Zen or talk Buddhism or, for that matter, talk baseball. But walking, as you probably know from your own experience elsewhere, is a different matter.
  • If the woman giving the orientation was a person of good buddhist practice, she would not have bad feelings over this because the question was 'what first got you interested into buddhism'? This suggests you knew nothing before reading so how can anybody judge you that alone? I am sure you are probably also thinking a little too much into the situation, when you next return the whole situation will be different and the most probabal thing is that the vast majority of the people there won't give a toss about what first influenced you into buddhism. :)
  • I know that I've read at least one of Alan Watts' books, and although some people take issue with his alcoholism and judge him harshly (which makes them judge his books harshly without even reading them), I found his work to be inspiring. He attempts to bring Zen into our world, to make it seem less mysterious... which is helpful for those who have no actual teacher and wish to go it alone. How effective his interpretations of Zen are will depend upon the reader, so opinions will vary.
  • I think Watts understood Buddhism very well. In fact I think he understood it more than most people who have sat Zazen for 20 years or more. He was a brilliant scholar and studied the history of Buddhism for many years. I love his books especially "The Way of Zen". He drank quite a bit, but so too has many a "authorized" teacher of Buddhism so I don't think that matters much. The point that Watts and I take different paths is that you actually have to do the work to understand your own "Buddha nature", not just have knowledge of what it is, and that takes stilling your own mind and learning to live with your self without all the mental projections and illusions.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I've never been a big fan of Watts and never really read anything of his. It kind of put me off that he was "lots of talk the talk and not quite so much walk the walk" as genkaku put it.

But then again, Shunryu Suzuki seemed to have had quite a high opinion of him, even calling him a "bodhisattva", if I remember correctly from Suzuki's biography, "Crooked Cucumber". His influence on Zen in the West was undeniable and brought many people to Buddhism.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    To help you get started on Alan Watts:

Some great animation based off Alan's talks. Some of them have been produce by the team who did South Park.
    http://www.freshminds.com/animation/alan_watts_theater.html

The Nature of Conciousness

• I recently watched a documentary on the creation of LSD, the hoffman potion, and I swear he was involved, I could be wrong..
  • @ThailandTom You are correct, I remember reading or listening to something from him where he admitted partaking in a study to determine if LSD could broaden someone's conscience or something like that, so he did try it twice. He acknowledged after his 2nd try that it did, but warned against others trying it, saying that if you open that door, you should close it instead of leaving it open.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Telly,

It would probably be more fruitful to ask this question to the lady. The way you describe "caught up" in videos and having many thoughts, sounds like something that might be a concern to a zen teacher, as it could be a kind of sensory absorbtion. It might not have anything to do with Watts, and it might have been only your discomfort in speaking, leading to projection. Lots of variables! I find most buddhists quite approachable, and her point of view might help settle the issue for you. The rest is really just speculation.

With warmth,

Matt
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Some Buddhists are turned off by Alan Watts because he espouses some Vedanta philosophy, which is Hindu concepts that the Buddha rejected, and calls it "Zen", which it isn't. :) Specifically, Brahman and Atman. Both of which are contrary to impermanence (anicca) and non-self (anattā), 2 of the Buddha's "3 marks of existence". His core philosophy is more Hindu than Buddhist.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Where does he do that seeker? I know the book I read of his didn't say Brahman or the Atman exist...
    Are you sure he does, and if so, where?
  • @Telly03 yea it was a study into schitzofrenia where they were trying to understand how the mind of a person with the condition worked, how they suffered etc. Hoffman accidently came across LSD and then it was passed around to groups of scientists for them to test on themselves or patients.

I remember a mathmatician stating that LSD does not give rise to hallucinations, rather it makes you see reality in a different way, a more profound way. One scientest claimed that the chemical make-up of the drug is vastly similar to some of the chemicals already present in the human brain. They were all highly academic and in ths documentary in their 60s-80s, but they all had nothing bad to say about it, from mathmaticians, to scientist to philosophers.

I have had my days done with acid, and yes it can go wrong. But I do not promote the use of it, it is just something that was given such a bad name when it is probably the most harmless class A drug, maybe even the most harmless clasified drug.
  • The book, "The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are" is Alan Watts' venture, in publication, in to Vedanta and the Upanishads and the explanation of nonduality. Although, Shunryu Suzuki Roshi considered Watts a boddhisatva, Watts was really a "Jack-Buddhist" like Jack Kerouac and Alan Ginsberg. Watts' showmanship introduced countless westerners to Buddhism (whether his version was accurate or not) and raised consciousness remarkably. For a moderator to look askance at Watts as a source of inspiration is senseless. To view Watts as somewhat of an erroneous source of accurate dharma holds merit - his approach was self proclaimed entertainer - not a roshi. Backdoor bodhisattva, maybe.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2011
    For a moderator to look askance at Watts as a source of inspiration is senseless.
    I didn't say Watts' was a source of inspiration, I said his works (at least what I've read) were inspiring. Collectively they brought many people to Buddhism, breaking down a lot of barriers in the Western mindset.
  • Yea, so what if he took acid and drank a load of alcohol... His writings still inspiried people to the dharma which is the purest form. It is like a stepping stone, and for the OP, this is the case :)
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I'm starting to understand his non-acceptance into the Zen community by some... I'll give him credit though for inspiring me. I don't think I would have gained the interest to learn more about Zen if I had not stumbled across his lectures
  • I tried to read Watts ages ago, and found him oddly offensive. I felt like the book was written mainly for a male audience. Then I read on a thread here last winter (we had two A. Watts threads) that his personal life was messy, he left his wife, I don't recall what the scandals were. Anyway, finding that out helped explain the odd bias or patriarchal attitude that came across in his writing.
  • Bram90Bram90 New
    edited October 2011
    As someone who is still very new to Buddhist ideas, I would also have to give him credit for helping with my transition from the common western perspective. I currently listen to his lectures and they definitely make me think.

Telly03
    I'm basically echoing what was already said

Alan was a "self-proclaimed spiritual entertainer" I've heard this many times and that might come across as low credentials or non-traditional, but I imagine it would probably be his perceived lifestyle that could be frowned upon by some.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Where does he do that seeker? I know the book I read of his didn't say Brahman or the Atman exist...
    Are you sure he does, and if so, where?
    He speaks specifically about Vedanta in "The Taboo against knowing who you are". And espouses Vedanta concepts in many of his other writings.

He says things like:
    "If you know that "I", in the sense of the person, the front, the ego, it really doesn't exist. Then...it won't go to your head too badly, if you wake up and discover that you're God."

"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."

"The self, Atman, is the Godhead, Brahman. It has always been so from the very beginning. so that your very trying to realize it is pushing it away, refusing the gift, ignoring the fact"

His philosophy is basically a combination of Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism. So some of what he says is Buddhist.
  • Strange. Well anyway, he didn't say stuff like that in a book of his about Buddhism. I guess it depends on which books you're reading of his what you're getting!
  • wonderingwondering Veteran
    edited October 2011
    The Buddha grew up in a Hindu society. Meditation did not start with Buddhism, it is a Hindu practice. Taoist's like Lao Tzu, talked about the nameless Tao in the "Tao Te Ching". The essence of Buddha's message was the same as the central themes of Hindu's and Taoists. He just conceived of a very practical way of achieving "oneness". It is the evolution of religious understanding. Today we are 2000 years removed from these ancient thought patterns, and yet we are still in need of the BIG answers to the BIG questions.
    Watts was a scholar, not a self proclaimed enlightened being. He understood the evolution of religious thought , where it came from, and many of the pathways that lead to Buddhism and Zen. I do not think he was anything other than a very bright scholar that brought to modern time the essence of eastern religious thought. For that reason alone, reading his books can be very informative about the evolution of eastern thought. There was a a great migration of eastern thought in the 40's through the 60's into the West/America. T.D. Suzuki expounded the Zen way, that many people do not think is very accurate. But all this is just human experience wondering about why we are alive, our purpose, and what happens after we die....that sort of thing. No body gets it "right". There are thousands of myths about the creation of the universe that come from different cultures throughout history. Personally I prefer the practice of Buddhism to have an open mind and heart. There is no reason to compare other approaches as better or worse with some preset ideas one has.
    Dakini
  • The Buddha grew up in a Hindu society. Meditation did not start with Buddhism, it is a Hindu practice. Taoist's like Lao Tzu, talked about the nameless Tao in the "Tao Te Ching". The essence of Buddha's message was the same as the central themes of Hindu's and Taoists. He just conceived of a very practical way of achieving "oneness". It is the evolution of religious understanding. Today we are 2000 years removed from these ancient thought patterns, and yet we are still in need of the BIG answers to the BIG questions.
    Watts was a scholar, not a self proclaimed enlightened being. He understood the evolution of religious thought , where it came from, and many of the pathways that lead to Buddhism and Zen. I do not think he was anything other than a very bright scholar that brought to modern time the essence of eastern religious thought. For that reason alone, reading his books can be very informative about the evolution of eastern thought. There was a a great migration of eastern thought in the 40's through the 60's into the West/America. T.D. Suzuki expounded the Zen way, that many people do not think is very accurate. But all this is just human experience wondering about why we are alive, our purpose, and what happens after we die....that sort of thing. No body gets it "right". There are thousands of myths about the creation of the universe that come from different cultures throughout history. Personally I prefer the practice of Buddhism to have an open mind and heart. There is no reason to compare other approaches as better or worse with some preset ideas one has.
    Very well said I think
  • My interest was initially sparked Joseph Campbell. YouTube then started relating him to Alan Watts. Could you suggest others along these lines who convey eastern thought for the western/Christian mind? I've even tried listening o the Dalai Lama but he is a little over my head ;-) I need some beginner's stuff.
  • Telly03, Read Watts and those Watts relied on, for example, D.T. Suzuki. While I don't agree with some of Watts' ideas about Zen, he taught us all to think more profoundly. And I admire him for that.
  • I think Watts understood Buddhism very well. In fact I think he understood it more than most people who have sat Zazen for 20 years or more. He was a brilliant scholar and studied the history of Buddhism for many years. I love his books especially "The Way of Zen". He drank quite a bit, but so too has many a "authorized" teacher of Buddhism so I don't think that matters much. The point that Watts and I take different paths is that you actually have to do the work to understand your own "Buddha nature", not just have knowledge of what it is, and that takes stilling your own mind and learning to live with your self without all the mental projections and illusions.
    What he/she said. He gets through to me like no other on the subject.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I think many dismiss him because of the culture he was in.

It is their hang-up as far as I am concerned. Not that I do LSD anymore but when used as a spiritual tool it can do some marvelous things.
  • His understanding was singular and he was a western master really. I read many of his books. He helped bring Zen to the west and helped establish understanding sufficient to give our culture a true integrated cultural benefit of the eastern mind. His little book Tao the Watercourse Way is still one of my favorites as an artist. His instruction in brush use was not only physical technique, but inner technique also, as it truly was.
  • Yes, Alan Watts was a pioneer in popularizing Zen, but he was always an outsider and the established Buddhist sects that followed him had nothing but scorn for someone who would dare to claim insight without being an authorized, licensed roshi. The biggest fight was between Zazen centers who claimed zen seekers must show up and devote their lives to sitting under the direction of their master, and people like Alan who said anyone could practice zen on their own. Really, it's a debate that began in ancient China.

He never claimed to be a monk or master and did not live the life of a monk. We do owe a debt of gratitude to him. His books were some of my own early introduction to Buddhism, expecially Zen.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Yes, Alan Watts was a pioneer in popularizing Zen, but he was always an outsider and the established Buddhist sects that followed him had nothing but scorn for someone who would dare to claim insight without being an authorized, licensed roshi. The biggest fight was between Zazen centers who claimed zen seekers must show up and devote their lives to sitting under the direction of their master, and people like Alan who said anyone could practice zen on their own. Really, it's a debate that began in ancient China.

He never claimed to be a monk or master and did not live the life of a monk. We do owe a debt of gratitude to him. His books were some of my own early introduction to Buddhism, expecially Zen.
    That's the way I see it too. What I notice is a one sided view of Zen. What we have is Thich Nhat Hanh a very highly respected Zen master, ordained and studied since being a small child in the early Buddhist writings.

Some people don't think Alan has it because he speaks of God and aims his dialogue at the audience he wishes to reach. If he is talking about the nameless Tao or the eternal Brahman, the absolute "I" or the delusion of a seperate "I", he is speaking of the same thing but relaying it in the context best for the chosen audience. This is how I see it anyways.

So why is this not Zen? Let us be reminded that Zen did not appear as a seperate form of Buddhism until a bond was made with Taoism and as somebody else has already mentioned, Buddha talked of Brahman.

In his poem, Call Me By My True Names, TNH reveals the only concept of "God" I believe in and I would doubt that Alan Watts saw it much differently.

Call me by my true names

Do not say that I'll depart tomorrow
    because even today I still arrive.

Look deeply: I arrive in every second
    to be a bud on a spring branch,
    to be a tiny bird, with wings still fragile,
    learning to sing in my new nest,
    to ne a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
    to be a jewel hiding itself in a stone.

I still arrive, in order to laugh and to cry,
    in order to fear and to hope,
    the rhythm of my heart is the birth and
    death of all that are alive.

I am the mayfly metamorphosing
    on the surface of the river,
    and I am the bird which, when spring comes,
    arrives in time to eat the mayfly.

I am the frog swimming happily
    in the clear water of a pond,
    and I am also the grass-snake who,
    approaching in silence,
    feeds itself on the frog.

I am the child in Uganda, all skin and bones,
    my legs as thin as bamboo sticks,
    and I am the arms merchant,
    selling deadly weapons to Uganda.

I am the twelve year old girl,
    refugee on a small boat,
    who throws herself into the ocean
    after being raped by a sea pirate,
    and I am the pirate, my heart not yet capable
    of seeing and loving.

I am a member of the politburo,
    with plenty of power in my hands,
    and I am the man who has to pay his
    "debt of blood" to my people,
    dying slowly in a forced labor camp.

My joy is like spring, so warm
    it makes flowers bloom in all walks of life.
    My pain is like a river of tears, so full
    it fills up the four oceans.

Please call me by my true names,
    so I can hear all my cries and my laughs at once,
    so I can see that my joy and pain are one.

Please call me by my true names,
    so I can wake up,
    and so the door of my heart can be left open,
    the door of compassion.

Thich Nhat Hanh

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    i have heard Alan Watts claim that he is NOT a zen buddhist, that he is merely an entertainer... and VERY entertaining indeed! If you like Alan Watts you may also like the fiction novels of Tom Robbins, who often has a Zen approach to entertainment. He writes: "I believe in nothing, everything is sacred to me. I believe in everything, nothing is sacred to me." - Perfect!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Was it Alan Watts who was heavily involved in Christianity before coming to Buddhism? I read a book about (not by) him. It said that he had a hard time during his last days and felt some amount of disillusionment. That can happen to everyone and I am sure his practice guided him to his next life; I hope it did.
    edited July 2012

• Trey Parker and Matt Stone! Heh. I love those guys.

Interesting stuff.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    .... and sing and dance we shall!
  • Both of those snippets were fantastic. It makes me want to dig out my old Zen books and read them again. I'll bet it will be an entirely different experience for me, since the last time I cracked them open I was just starting this dance of Zen.

• It matters not the naming of someones path. It's value is its nature, and Watts was someone who's insights were important to understanding. Like Castaneda's Don Juan, it was important information, irregardless of the spiritual materialism people measured the authors with. It is the essence we can see that is the important. If you see the world deeply, it will be the essence of things that are important. Not the gross material. Watts was important to our culture's growth. So is the sight of a playful kitten if you perceive it's essence.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yea, so what if he took acid and drank a load of alcohol... His writings still inspiried people to the dharma which is the purest form. It is like a stepping stone, and for the OP, this is the case :)
    I am not familiar with Watts, probably because I am not at all a follower of Zen. So on this topic I am on the outside looking in.

Perhaps it's valid to separate the person from the person's writings.

From what I've read just in this thread, I would have virtually no respect for the man.

But, if his ideas are valid, then I could respect the ideas.

It's much like the question that comes up sometimes -- what if Buddha (or what if Christ) didn't actually exist? My answer is, it would make no ultimate difference, because the teachings would stand on their own.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    One teacher I liked said she had never taken a painting off the wall because of the criticisms she heard about it's painter.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ^ Exactly!
  • Oneness can be likened to the top of a mountain. Some take a long spiral path following others on a narrow path to that top. Some just camp at a viewpoint. some use techniques likened to mountain climbers with pitons and rope (meditation, chemical or induced states). Still others, and most I would expect make their own paths. Some get stuck on outcrops, or fall or are to fearful to climb at all. The mountain sees every path on it's slopes and cliffs.

Watts was his own path. His insights to western and eastern thought gave us good objective insights. That he was not perfect Zen, or Buddhist, or western monk matters not. He was perfect Watts. That is the point.

We cannot be perfect other than in ourselves. There is no way to be something else. Our paths take unique directions, deflected by our experience, modulated by our thoughts, reflected in our memories. But when we are still and in the moment, that is who we are.

Watts was good for me when I was within my illusion of wanting enlightenment. I eventually saw the folly that such desire was. Watts introduced me to thoughts and methods I could better understand my experience objectively and without other imposed ontological descriptions. I fell in love with Taoism, Buddhism and Zen, having already been forced as a child into western ways of religious thought that I knew was not myself. Buddhism did however seem to encompass my overall self, but I was not a Buddhist per say. Zen and Taoism especially reflected my own quiet mind, and the recognition of the eternal moment I saw glimpses of in my early "mountain climbing". While those "glimpses" were important to my navigation, the dangers of such cannot be overstated. But I did not get stuck in those moments, or fall for the dangerous methods. I survived and went on, my compass calibrated for my own path. Chop wood, carry water, was the only path after meeting the center. I found that searching for enlightenment was another way of avoiding the eternal moment, because in that moment, clarity is absolute. It did not matter how I got there. That I was there was everything. I was there when I let go of all methods and thoughts. Many find this moment too, and there is nothing special about that. It just happens.

Watts was part of my navigational information. I found him relevant to my path. I would never say he was relevant to others necessarily, but I see potential for those seeking information that is objective. I read everyone's ideas from East to West. What resonated was me. Watts a part of that.
  • When I listen or read Watts, his message speaks to me, whatever his credentials with the Buddhist schools might lack. He could have easily set himself up as a guru and formed a cult around himself and enjoyed the good life while living off the hard work of others, as other Western gurus like Da Free John did. It would have been easy for a man with such a remarkable gift of speaking. Instead, he remained true to who he was.
  • When I listen or read Watts, his message speaks to me, whatever his credentials with the Buddhist schools might lack. He could have easily set himself up as a guru and formed a cult around himself and enjoyed the good life while living off the hard work of others, as other Western gurus like Da Free John did. It would have been easy for a man with such a remarkable gift of speaking. Instead, he remained true to who he was.
    Yes Cinojer, he was so charismatic . Today, he could be a radio talk show host ala Rush or one of the others and be incredibly successful.
    I believe, ultimately his failing (if I can use that word) was that he was profoundly alcoholic. Caught in such a desease , he lost his way, and his later life was lived in a stupor.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @ZeroGhost, nice post