Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Now for the books, Share you favorite (not necessarily Buddhist) books

AMHAMH
edited November 2011 in General Banter
I have so many, I am going to focus on teh ones least well known

Green Darkness, Written in the 70's? About reincarnation, love and relationships through time. the author Anya Seton had a background in esoteric organizations. And a great historical novel with the multiple time frames.
The Years of RIce and Salt - what if the plague had claimed 99% of europe instead of 33%, the rise in world power and inventions of technology would have all come from the east instead of the west. Fabulouse
The Historian - best dang vampire book ever! No one sparkles, the history is impeccable, and a compelling story
Enders Game - childrens book but don't let that put you off. A great book for anyone who was a smart outsider growing up,and ajust a great fantasy read.

Comments

• Okay I am gonna bump myself because I just downloaded Dune to my nook.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    Life of Pi.
  • Dune. Arakis. Desert planet. Love that book.
  • AHHhh, I was hiking in Arches and Canyonlands in Utah and I was trying to explain to my friend the Dune concepts. I have to say as a female I love the Bene Gesserit theme
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Goodnight Moon
  • I have Goodnight Moon in English and French, I think I have it memorized in both
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    books are too hard to choose! lol.

i suppose, there was a time where The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky really defined my life. i'm not sure if i can still say that, but i highly recommend this book to everyone. to this day, i still think about the characters from time to time and i treasure those moments when i truly feel infinite.

Ender's Game was great. i've been thinking for some time that i need to read that again.

The Women's Room by Marilyn French really changed the way that i look at society and the world... for the better, probably... although sometimes i still think that ignorance is bliss.

other than that, i love most anything by Chuck Palahniuk... especially: Fight Club and Invisible Monsters. anybody who loves the movie Fight Club should read the book because it ends completely differently. Invisible Monsters is just such a trip, the main character is a beauty queen who gets half of her face shot off by a shotgun. also good is Choke and Survivor... i haven't really read much of his new stuff though, i'm sad to say.

• Oh wow, I like Chuck P (okay can't spell his name). I love the Fight Club movie but i also read the book and the other ones and love them.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Since you two like Chuck Palahniuk, he was interviewed on my local public radio station this morning. Here's a link to the interview if interested.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/11/22/midmorning2/

I also really liked Ender's Game. Another of my favorite novels is World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. My favorite dharma book is The Bodhisattva's Way of Life by Shantideva.
  • My all time favorite would definitely be The Little Prince. Thin book originally written for children, it never ceases to amaze me how much even we as adults can learn from it.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Check out: http://www.scribd.com, http://www.sacred-texts.com and http://www.manybooks.net
    Favorite book: 1984, Animal Farm, All Alan Watts books and the book I am reading: 1Q84. (Author: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruki_Murakami) Highly suggest it!:)I am actually working on a novel called, "Untitled Cypha."
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @person you just reminded me how much i loved The Zombie Survival Guide! awesome book... you know... just in case ;)

i also used to be really into kurt vonnegut. i loved Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of Champions, despite the fact that it was rather... off the wall...
  • There are so many books you are saying that i love, like Le Petit Prince (I read it in French), everything by George Orwell (I did a senior paper on him about a century ago) and what I have read by Haruki Marakama.
  • Cosmos - Carl Sagan.

In search of Schrödinger's cat - John Gribbin.

In search of the big bang - John Gribbin.

Let the right one in - John Ajvide Lindqvist. (There have been two great movies made from this. Let the right one in is Swedish and Let me in is the American remake.)

Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder. (It sounds like chick-lit, but I assure you it isn't.)

Engineering: A Beginner's Guide - Natasha McCarthy.

Chemical Engineering Volume 1 - Many authors.

Vegan with a vengeance - Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

Steal this book - Abbie Hoffman.

The MK-ULTRA secret - Frank Camper.

The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene

I wont give you alist of martial arts books because that would be too long.

I have many titles about MI5, MI6, CIA, NSA, FSB and other world intelligence agencies and defunct ones like the KGB. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I just have an interest in intelligence agencies and real espionage.

Graphic Novels:

Kick Ass - Mark Millar. (Now also an awesome movie)

Watchmen - Alan Moore.

• @sattvapaul, I love Life of Pi! Had to read it twice!

I'm on the third book in the Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin (the books that HBO's new series Game of Thrones is based on) and am finding it pleasantly amazing! I've never been into fantasy or anything before. Pretty neat when you venture outside your normal genres and figure out that you can add a whole slew of books to your to-read list!
  • I just finished reading a book called "Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy" and I really, really enjoyed it. I've never read historical non-fiction before so this was a first and I am so glad I've opened up the door to a whole new genre. If anyone else can recommend similar books I would be grateful!