Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone know about "Zen forum international"?

2»

Comments

• Clearly you have it all down
    Aye? Just pointing out some of what has panned out. There's probably a teaching or two about jumping to hasty conclusions.
  • Yes I am sure there is.
  • Dakini, your link doesn't work for me
    hmm. That was a link to an article in the Salt Lake City Tribune. Here's the same article on another site:
    http://spiceyourday.com/?p=101

• Edio Shimano, Richard Baker, Dainin Katagiri, the big mind guy... some examples of what has panned out under the guidance of a teacher.
    One more to add to the list:
    http://www.sltrib/home/51270057-76/merzel-zen-center-buddhist.html.csp

But isn't that kind of like pointing at a surgeon who gets sued, and saying "...some examples of what has panned out under the guidance of a teacher" ... ?

• I think praxis and I are simply saying that there are reasons why some people study without a teacher, and unethical teachers is one of the reasons. Some people get burned, and we should cut them some slack, and be understanding.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I was impressed how the zen priest handled his affair. He confessed and apologized. And disrobed. I think that set a good example and was the best he could do at that point. I'm not so sure about the 5550 thing or whatever.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    I'm not so sure about the 5550 thing or whatever.
    Not so sure? Would you pay this guy $50.000 for 5 days for "a quicker way to enlightenment"? What a (cruel) joke. Whoever takes him up on that deserves to be separated from their money. Maybe that is his thinking behind this offer - not.

Come to think of it.......... yeah, whatever.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    I read that wrong possibilities. I thought it was 500 dollars each for 5 people doing 5 days. One hundred dollars is quite expensive but I personally charged 10 dollars an hour for three students at a time tutoring chemistry. Which breaks down to 100 dollars a day if the day lasts 10 hours. I spent probably 10000 hours training to attain the expertise to demand such a fee. I think a zen master probably would be maybe 20000 hours training.

Now lets consider the fee of a brain surgeon or corporate lawyer :)
  • I think if the roshi were willing to discuss the case, it might be instructive, it might help the zen community find a way to prevent such things happening elsewhere. For example, would better training in professional ethics have made a difference? What if he had been required to sign a contract saying misconduct is grounds for dismissal, would that have made a difference? I think it could be useful to pick his brain, if he were open to that.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran

Now lets consider the fee of a brain surgeon or corporate lawyer :)
    Zen masters and brain surgeons and corporate lawyers are ethically and morally on the same level? No wonder you take this kind of crap lying down...
    No offense, but it makes me cringe and yes .... angry. Is that unbuddhist of me? Maybe! Buddhists IMO should be more outraged at exploitation for the benefit of boosting egos and lining personal pockets - it's clearly a violation of anything buddhist and humane.

All this time I'm wondering about whether I can stomach this kind of "compassion" where the buddhist perpetrator gets away with a slap on the wrist and their victims are damaged/untrusting for ever.
    Also, guru- master- whatever worship perpetuated in this manner ("Look at me I'm worth $50.000 for 5 days x 5") leads to this kind of imbalance. Who in their right mind would buy into this (rather than donate disposable income to a worthy cause helping the underprivileged not the power hungry "masters"?). It smacks of buying favors or absolution from sin as in the catholic church. Both sides of this equation are maladjusted, IMO and thus:

All this makes me question the sincerity of organized buddhist practice. Of course, there are exceptions.
    But, is the human spirit really this weak?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I do think your anger is your own. Calm down :) I thought it was 500 dollars a day x5 people x5 days, I misread it. I didn't give him a slap on the wrist I merely commended him for maning up, apologizing, disrobing, and so forth.

I think you are in a web of ideas and your anger belongs to you not me.

• I can see a different side to the comments about brain surgeons , corporate lawyers and co. In a mateialistic society, paying lots of $$$ is commensurate with the value we place on the service provided ... not that it is about boosting egos and lining personal pockets.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2011
    @possibilities et al. That's what I'm wondering--is the spirit (or more aptly--the flesh, or both) this weak?

I love the quote that someone posted a couple of months ago (maybe it was on Zenforum, in fact) by D.T. Suzuki, who when faced with an overly-adoring disciple said, "It's good to revere the master [in the sense that it helps motivate steady practice]. Don't worry. I have enough discipline for the both of us." (I've posted this before, but it's a good one, it bears repeating.)

That's the way it's supposed to work.
  • Dakini this is what buddha meant by greed, anger, and ignorance. These are actually present. But by the grace of god I might have done some stupid stuff too but life straightened me out eventually.
  • Rather wandered off of the thread topic haven't we ?
  • I know everything about ZFI. I was one of the founders and have watched it develope from the beginning. I know the handful of regulars posters, including our good friend Citta.

What would you like to know?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2011
    As I am a ( regular ) reader only and do not post, I think not.
    Alwats amusing to see the word " friend" used as a blunt instrument.
  • So, as you "know everything " about ZFI , and as you were "one of the founders" you would be able to tell us why you are banned from it I guess Praxis ?
    Or is that a horse of a different color ?
  • OK, now that you've posted that, Citta, I'm going ahead with my post.

Since you've offered, @praxis, thanks. I don't know what the OP had in mind, but I've got a couple of questions.

The mods seem a little overly-concerned with the "no bashing" rule. Now I'm fine with not bashing, but what has happened on several occasions is that someone initiates a discussion analyzing an essay from another tradition, that provides insight on how and when Mahayana and Theravada diverged, or a group of Tibetan Buddhist practitioners (or former practitioners) may gather and get into an historical analysis of the evolution of the TB tradition. Those threads either get shut down (for the "potential" for bashing, or because the discussion of historical facts is perceived as bashing), or a huge warning is posted saying, essentially, "watch your step". The impression given is that scholarly discussion is not allowed. (I PM'd a mod once, and she did allow as how she may have been overly sensitive to a perceived "bashing" risk.) In other words, the concern with no-bashing stifles some good, intellectual and non-judgmental discussion.

Others have wanted to start a discussion about some of the pitfalls of sangha life, to analyze why things go wrong in some sanghas, and discuss. The poster child for that is that forum's fan of the "Critical Buddhism" authors, but just this week someone wanted to discuss how the dynamic in some sanghas can become very un-Buddhist. This person had almost reached the point of giving up the Dharma because of bullying in his sangha, was thrilled that people on Zenforum are so nice, and basically he needed some TLC. If he phrased his topic diplomatically , he could have started a generic discussion (without bashing any tradition or sangha) about sangha dynamics thread and the dynamics of the student-teacher relationship. I've seen comments on those topics on older threads, so I don't see why he was told by mods his topic wouldn't be allowed. (I PM'd him about his concerns, and tr.)

Overall, I'm impressed with Zenforum; it's remarkably pleasant, there are lots of advanced practitioners from whom others can learn, and it is able to discuss certain potentially inflammatory topics with remarkable calm (i.e.the Shimano debacle). But there are certain restrictions that seem unnecessary. Gentle guidance might be one way of managing potentially disruptive topics, or those with "bash potential". If anything had "bash" potential it was the Shimano discussion, but that was handled extremely skillfully. I think the membership is capable of handling some of these other topics equally as skillfully. It's a really good group they've got there. Good job, praxis.
  • Sorry compassionate warrior,I dont want to rain on your love-in, but if I were you I would want to ask " Praxis" why he is banned from the very forum he says he was a founding member of....just a thought.
  • Well, for now I'd be happy to get an answer to my questions (which I wouldn't call a love-in) from you or praxis.
  • I'll tell you what...why not drop into Zen Forum International and ask them if Praxis was a founding member ? Let us know how it goes.
  • If they confirm that he was... I will post a fulsome personal apology to him on this thread.
  • Please check your PMs
  • The impression given is that scholarly discussion is not allowed.
    Intellectual and scholarly discussion is allowed of course, however the primary individuals who administer the site generally devalue these disciplines, believing that they are limiting.
  • Alwats amusing to see the word " friend" used as a blunt instrument.
    Just a little demo to show how well I known ya. :D
  • So, as you "know everything " about ZFI , and as you were "one of the founders" you would be able to tell us why you are banned from it I guess Praxis ?
    It was my greed, ignorance and hate. Zen Buddhists have a low tollerance for these things. It's like poison to them.
  • Alwats amusing to see the word " friend" used as a blunt instrument.
    Just a little demo to show how well I known ya. :D
  • You actually, really, dont....but as this is non productive I will leave it there.
  • Of course you will. :)
  • My purpose was quite clear and quite simple. It was to alert anyone interested to an interesting experiment currently being played out on the pages of Zen Forum International..to whit, a group of members who are practising Zazen , (or might be,) without formal teaching, have been given their own subforum to exchange views and share their findings...In my view this is of interest. So far it has resulted in very little of note..but that may change.I suspect that the group generally lacks the necessary vocabulary to share their experiences, but they might gain one or even coin one. It the meantime it is an experiment worth watching in my view.
  • @Citta Where is that thread? I've looked for it on and off since it was first set up, and I haven't been able to find it.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Its not one thread c.w. Its subforum called " Practicing Zen Buddhism Without A Teacher..." It has a number of threads. If you go to the index page and look at the subtitles under the threads and click on to any of them it will take you there. There are several under " active topics". Look for the unbolded title.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Hi

I was also a founding member of Zen Forum International (yes, the setup, the concept, the design, the input, the INTENDED ethos etc) and whilst I do not know if I am banned or not, here is an explanation of what I wrote on genkaku's blog http://genkaku-again.blogspot.com/2011/10/eido-tai-shimano-continued-2.html

It's in there somewhere but in effect, the environment is not so conducive to open, constructive, opposing (which is what discussions typically healthily entail), unmoderated discussion. In essence, disagreement is not that well tolerated, moderators and administration cannot handle anything that is perceived to be "criticism" resorting to abuse of moderation power - and there is a distinct hypocrisy in how those 'powers' are applied.
    They also have a weird idea of what Zen Buddhism means - for example, certain moderators seem hyper sensitive to anything that is deemed "opposition" or "disharmony". It is contrary to Zen practice, in my view, because they cannot be comfortable with the shadows and without honestly confronting that, they resort to subconscious covert attacks - through banning, deleting and crushing opposition or anything that looks uncomfortable. Very Churchy but not very in tune with genuine and good honest Zen practice in my view.

I speak from past experience but perhaps it has improved now. As to the person who said there are a lot of experienced people there, actually a lot of good Zen practitioners and friends actually left there or got banned so those left are a certain crew and crowd but I would not take them as authoritative or even that knowledgeable - keeping in mind knowledge in Zen Buddhism is definitely not equatable to practice insight/actualisation.

As to Citta, everyone is also free to see Citta's unrestrained, expert attacks on me, feel free to read them here:
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/87875#Comment_87875

:)

Best wishes,
    Abu the "expert" ;)
  • @Floating_Abu Thanks, this helps a lot. Sometimes when I read threads there, it seems like everyone's tiptoeing around an elephant in the room, and I can't figure out why they're not discussing the elephant. It makes me afraid to post and point out the obvious. Thanks for your honesty.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think this thread has pretty much run its course. It did after all, originate in 2009.
    It's descended into personal negative experience,and frankly, it's probably better that any further discussion can be done between yourselves.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.