Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kim Jong Il Dead: North Korea Leader Dies At 69!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited December 2011 in General Banter
SEOUL, South Korea — North Korean television announced in a "special broadcast" that its leader Kim Jong Il has died in Pyongyang, the AP reports. He was 69.

Kim's death was announced Monday from the state capital of Pyongyang. He reportedly suffered a stroke in 2008, but appeared relatively healthy on recent trips around Asia, which were documented by state media.

Reuters adds that the country had begun transferring power to his son, Kim Jong-un, who is believed to be in his late 20s.

Michael Van Poppel tweeted that Kim was given as much first-aid attention as possible, but died at 8:30 a.m. according to the state television report.

More from the AP:

The leader, reputed to have had a taste for cigars, cognac and gourmet cuisine, was believed to have had diabetes and heart disease.
The news came as North Korea prepared for a hereditary succession. Kim Jong Il inherited power after his father, revered North Korean founder Kim Il Sung, died in 1994.
In September 2010, Kim Jong Il unveiled his third son, the twenty-something Kim Jong Un, as his successor, putting him in high-ranking posts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/18/kim-jong-il-dead-north-korea_n_1156945.html

Comments

• I am ashamed that I am happy.
  • At least you have the decency to be ashamed. I don't recall anyone saying that on the Osama thread.
  • I just looked up the Osama thread. Is it the called, "Death of a Dictator?"
    -
    I found a quote on that thread.

"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress: the hate of men will pass and dictators die and the power they took from the people, will return to the people and so long as men die [now] liberty will never perish..."
    - Charlie Chaplin, "The Great Dictator"
  • Happy, but for good or evil, not ashamed that I have no shame for being happy. This is a man who tortured, murdered, and starved millions while creating a police state that actually outdid Orwell's Oceania. Should his death eventually lead to the end of that prison state, it will be a blessing.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I thought it was his cousin Menta Li Il that was going to take power. :buck:
  • Yeah, I don't see any point in being happy, because nothing will change significantly, unless his son turns into Gorbachev.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Egomaniacal dictator, or dope-ass MC? You decide.

Oh, and he was a cinematic genius, too. North Korea, bitches!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Wow! Just found out that kim Jong Il is taking over!!! North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dead, son hailed as heir http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/19/us-korea-north-idUSTRE7BI05B20111219
  • edited December 2011
    @Jason...

:rolleyes: *NSFW*
  • I remember seeing a rare moment where he brought out onto camera his son who would be taking over when dies. It was in a big photograph of the high raking people in the country. That was maybe 8 months ago now.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Another egomaniacal murderer dead, what a loss for humanity.
  • Well his death will keep others alive, but that is not to say that we should be happy because somebody suffered pain and death, along with those who loved the guy.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Tom,
    We will all suffer pain and death.
    So he is no different in that regard but during his life he helped cause untold suffering and death for many others.
    His death does the world a service.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    It will be interesting to see how his son handles the power, but im not getting excited for much change since he learned how to rule from his dad. Even just a small amount of compassion for humanity would be nice... Not sure how there could be less.
  • His son got a western education.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Yes it has done a service, I never said anything to contradict that, but being happy and throwing a party about it is not exactly moral IMO. I think his son has got a lot of pressure to get a hold of, North Korea for one. He probably has been built up to be a carbon copy of his dad. He was never allowed to be seen in photos, he was kept away from public eye, he probably has no real feel to what life really is.

Where Bekenze? On the news article I saw, it stated that he was never seen in any media photos of film until kim released that image I spoke of.
  • Wikipedia:

"He attended the English-language International School of Berne, Switzerland until 1998 under a pseudonym."
  • He studied English language under a false name. Well, there seems to be one reason why he was made to learn that language, because it is the worlds 2nd language. Now he can talk and rule and dictate in two languages :)
  • edited December 2011
    Yes but I am sure he must have taken the other classes that the college had to offer, rather than just English.

Or maybe I am wrong.
  • Maybe, maybe not. The university probably was informed of who he was, I could also be wrong there. Ifs and Buts, coulds and maybes :P
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Menta Li Il, mentally ill. I wasn't questioning your OP @LeonBasin. :)
  • I wonder if he is ronery.
  • Whoever smelt it dealt it!

Photobucket

Aw, sorry; I'm still controlled by my ignorance and delusion. If a mod thinks I've overstepped the mark with my bad joke, please delete.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    May he be reborn in favorable circumstances. "May all beings find happiness" means ALL beings, no exceptions. :)
  • Second that seeker242, finally some compassion...
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Menta Li Il, mentally ill. I wasn't questioning your OP @LeonBasin. :)
    Nah, I got it!:) HAHA!
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    May he be reborn in favorable circumstances. "May all beings find happiness" means ALL beings, no exceptions. :)
    Third that.

I hope and believe Kim Jong-Il was a one-of-a-kind personality, not unlike Hitler; I know the system is still in place, but I think without his presence and all the mythology of his "being," what comes next will not be as bad. I think his son is undisciplined and wants to play video games; he's just not the same character. The cabal is aging, and even in North Korea, outside info is slowly seeping in via cellphones. For better or worse (better in this case, without question!) pop culture will do its thing. Maybe this is the only case in modern history where commercial culture can be said to have been a power mostly for good--mainly because there's not much that has been left standing in North Korea to be destroyed by it, in turn.

North Korea is the only situation in my lifetime where I, as a pacifist, felt it would actually be kinder to invade and overthrow, even with all the certain death that would bring, since the existing state--little more than a massive concentration camp--was so horrifically cruel and would unquestionably cause more death and suffering if left in place.

• B5CB5C Veteran
    @Tosh if the image is bad. Check the video.

That is it looks like after a great golfer and god had died.
  • edited December 2011
    The
    Another egomaniacal murderer dead, what a loss for humanity.
    The egomaniacal murderer is dead, long live the egomaniacal murderer! (Paraphrase of: "The King is dead, long live the King! ...get it? ehhh Oh well) Only time will tell if the son is made of the father's mold or not. It's premature to be putting on the party hats, IMO. Not to mention the moral issue involved with that, as Thailand Tom pointed out.

It takes more than pop culture to bring down a regime. The Beatles didn't affect the Soviet regime, contrary to their own wishful thinking. One aged dictator was replaced by another and by another. Only when Gorbachev loosened up and tried to address the failing economy by allowing criticism did events spin out of control.

Isn't N. Korea allied with China? Maybe the new ruler will try a Chinese-style opening up culturally and economically, while maintaining the political status quo. At this point, anything is pure speculation. We can hope for the best, but I wouldn't bet on a bright future for N. Korea just yet.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2011
    A scary example of groupthink and conditioning in action.
    @Tosh if the image is bad. Check the video.

That is it looks like after a great golfer and god had died.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited December 2011
    A scary example of groupthink and conditioning in action.
    A scary example of *extreme* grasping/clinging/attachment.

I'm happy for the Korean people that this tyrant is gone. I wish KJI an auspicious rebirth, as I do for all sentient beings. His karmic account was severely depleted by what he's done in this lifetime, so he will reap that reward in future lives, just as we all will.

I pray that whomever takes over power in North Korea will see the absurdity of their situation and try to do something that is not totally ego driven and will actually help the people. I don't expect it, but I hope for it none the less.
    Unfortunately he's not gonna reap reap any kind of karmic consequences. He lived his life the way he wanted to, brutalized a people and now he is just a corpse.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2011
    "It takes more than pop culture to bring down a regime. The Beatles didn't affect the Soviet regime, contrary to their own wishful thinking."

True that, though sometimes it takes a few generations for change to take hold, and I'd also say that with the internet and cellphones, ideas travel a lot more rapidly than in Soviet times. The Swiss-made Tibetan "Shapale" video was being thumbed-up in China and Tibet within hours of it hitting the cyberwaves, lol. And being "harmonized" shortly after that.

Incidentally, China just passed (well, decreed) a law requiring people to use their real names, addresses and telephone numbers before being allowed to participate in online forums and other social media. Micro-blogging service providers have to verify the identity of their users within 3 months.

• His son got a western education.
    So have most lunatic dictators. Dr. Assad of Syria is an eye doctor.