Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha in my cubicle

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited December 2011 in Buddhism Today
"The affairs of life and work are the testing ground of one's practice."
"Its not the work thats to blame; it is the people who bring with them attitudes and beliefs about work that are not conducive to a happy, fulfulling experience." --- The Buddha in Your Mirror

What practice techniques do you use at work? A 9-5 ? You know, where you work for the "the man"?
Mindfullness in a cubicle.

Comments

• My cubicle is my dwelling, I have don't really have a technique because I don't enter the rat race and work for the man, so I don't tend to get frustrated and pissed at my job. I do have a good picture of my GF above my sound system which is right next to me though with an christmas has on from a few years ago lol..
  • edited December 2011
  • I work 9-5 for the man, but I have my own space and will listen to mantras and lectures in headphones while I have computer stuff to do. I also sometimes will just sit in my chair and focus on my breaths when I have breaks, such as lunch or if I have a few minutes waiting for a meeting. I'm also fortunate that I have a low stress job... My boss trusts me to do my thing, and I'm not one to create stress for myself.
  • That sounds like a nice way to work telly03. You seem to have a nice setup going there, especially consider the economy at the moment. At home I sometimes play the heart sutra song and things of that nature, chillout house which is not really house music, it has a slow tempo. If I put it on after taking my valium, I sometimes will lay on the floor under the fan and pass out though as it is all too relaxing. But there is no boss, the boss is asleep.
  • i work in retail and work has always been the proving ground for my practice. it forces to me to be in direct contact with people i would never stay in contact with by choice otherwise. its a lot easier to be compassionate to a family member or something than to a random person who is giving you a hard time lol.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Practicing Buddhism while at work is working while at work.
  • I work from home too, but that doesn't mean frustrations (and opportunities to practice) don't find me. Technology woes are a big one. People speaking rudely to me is something that pokes at me. But since embracing the 4NT and 8FP, I've wasted less energy being irritated and have invested more back into my job. I try to remember that people are snapping at me out of frustration, and to find compassion. The computer isn't even a person, so why is it getting to me at all?

Breath and compassion are lifesavers AND jobsavers.
  • Moving meditation like simple hand movements can be a good way to keep focused both mentally and spiritually throughout the day.
  • "The affairs of life and work are the testing ground of one's practice."
    "Its not the work thats to blame; it is the people who bring with them attitudes and beliefs about work that are not conducive to a happy, fulfulling experience." --- The Buddha in Your Mirror

What practice techniques do you use at work? A 9-5 ? You know, where you work for the "the man"?
    Mindfullness in a cubicle.
    An excellent question.

I no longer work a 9 to 5 job, but I did for a time. I have been self employed now for more than a few years and that also carries some frustrating responsibilities. Since selling my company several years ago and taking early (Semi) retirement I am still young enough to do the things that I only enjoy doing. Even still there are frustrating situations.

My point being that I have pretty much run the gamut in the workplace and have experienced it on several levels (employee and employer). The truth is, no matter how you try, you will never really be at peace in your livelyhood. There is too much passion involved for most of us.

The answer is always, follow your breath, take the time to listen to what's going on, try and be mindful throughout the day (walking, eating, driving, shopping etc.) There is no secret, be true to youself try and see the world through a compassionate eye and pay attention. That's it. Sorry, I probably didn't tell you anything you didn't already know.

With Metta

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Bodha8.. "Sorry, I probably didn't tell you anything you didn't already know."

The post and answers are exactly what I intended. Sharing ideas and tools for my path is important to keep me focused. I am a work in progress, so please assume I know nothing....(no Zen pun intended) :)

Telly03...quick sit before meetings. Good call.

• Bodha8.. "Sorry, I probably didn't tell you anything you didn't already know."

The post and answers are exactly what I intended. Sharing ideas and tools for my path is important to keep me focused. I am a work in progress, so please assume I know nothing....(no Zen pun intended) :)

Telly03...quick sit before meetings. Good call.

Beginner's Mind, is always the right choice.

Namaste

Moving meditation like simple hand movements can be a good way to keep focused both mentally and spiritually throughout the day.
    I agree! When I first arrived in my cube...hand movements were the first handy-dandy-bring-me-back I adapted. To this day I do them frequently around the offices.

May you all feel my gratitude

• What do you mean by "hand movements"?
    Telly03.. Mudras. Here is the first examples I started with, Scroll down on the page and the descriptions start. Or feel free to find another resource. Start with intent...and let it flow. If it makes you feel silly...start with one or two at first. As always....practice it.

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/mudra.html
  • HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    I remember reading about ringing telephones at the Plum Village in France, each time it rings anyone within earshot uses it as mindfulness training. I've tried to apply this throughout the day on all email notifications and blackberry events, with each noise I take a deep breath and focus.
    I remember reading about ringing telephones at the Plum Village in France, each time it rings anyone within earshot uses it as mindfulness training. I've tried to apply this throughout the day on all email notifications and blackberry events, with each noise I take a deep breath and focus.
    May you continue to teach me. Thank-you. Very modern solution. :)

• I have a home office which is nice. I meditate in my desk chair daily (don't use the back rest) and have a rin gong from Nepal that I use to start and end my meditation sessions. I also use the chi gong signal on my Blackberry as an email alert and use the sound to concentrate on being mindful of where I am and what I'm doing whenever it sounds.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited December 2011
    @lamaram what is a 'rin'? Sorry for the ignorance, maybe it is ring? I wish I could be more motivated at my home office, I get distracted by work, I am very dedicated to my work that I will keep designing even if I need to use the toilet until I cannot wait any longer.

I am working now, it is 7am but I have been working since 5.30am, but I woke at 5am after drinking a bit last night. I feel okay but still, can you offer any links or resources for such things to enhance my meditive state whilst 'at work'? By the way, I do not have a smartphone, mine has no colour screen...
  • Rin gong- also known as a singing bowl. Google for more.
    Rin gong- also known as a singing bowl. Google for more.
    Shhh...from what I know...this is the blog Troll. Google for more.
  • Who is the blog troll? Me?.. :-/ Is there a sense of humour that I have missed here or something?
  • Or maybe it's me...
  • The morning is off to a frustrating start, as Wednesdays almost always are for me. My Wednesday morning client always frustrates me, but I'm happy to say that this morning, I was able to curb my frustration before it got the best of me, and it evaporated. I asked her to hold on for a moment (we work over the phone) and I closed my eyes for a some deep, relaxing breaths and "om mani padme hum," and then back on the phone. I literally FELT the frustration ooze out of my pores. Buddha in my cubicle indeed.