Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Made in America: Trend against outsourcing brings jobs back from China

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited January 2012 in General Banter
The United States may be on the verge of bringing back manufacturing jobs from China.

Harold Sirkin, along with Michael Zinser and Douglas Hohner (all experts from the Boston Consulting Group – a leading management consulting firm), says that outsourcing manufacturing to China is not as cheap as it used to be and that the United States is poised to bring back jobs from China. The three consultants first reached this conclusion in a recently published study titled “Made in America, Again: Why Manufacturing Will Return to the U.S.”

Many companies, especially in the auto and furniture industries, moved plants overseas once China opened its doors to free trade and foreign investment in the last few decades. Labor was cheaper for American companies – less than $1 per hour according to the BCG report. Today, labor costs in China have risen dramatically, and shipping and fuel costs have skyrocketed. As China’s economy has expanded, and China has built new factories all across the country, the demand for workers has risen. As a result, wages are up as new companies compete to hire the best workers.

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/14/10156162-made-in-america-trend-against-outsourcing-brings-jobs-back-from-china

Comments

• This is good news. (I'll believe it when I see it, but still, it's a ray of hope.) This is what Obama was talking about in his speech. Rewarding companies tax-wise who keep jobs at home or bring them home. Penalizing companies that send jobs abroad.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Wonderful news. However, like Dakini mentioned I will believe it when I see it. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    An article I wrote last month: Made in Detroit: HDTVs from Element
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @Brian Nice story, thanks. :coffee:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Reminds me of a relatively recent article in Forbes speculates that manufacturing jobs will start coming back to the US soon, partly based on one manufacturer's plans to flee "the high costs of Chinese manufacturing for the relatively lower costs of the U.S." And while people are celebrating this potential shift, it's a bit of a mixed blessing, in my opinion.

From the average worker's perspective, it's definitely good if some of these manufacturing jobs actually come back to the US, as well as start-ups like the new TV manufacturer setting up in Detroit. Unfortunately, one of the reasons many of them will be returning is that wages in the US are currently so low, and falling even lower.

For example, one article, referencing data recently released by the Social Security Administration, notes that, "The median wage for the 150 million workers surveyed in 2010 was just $26,363.55 per person. For comparison, the poverty line for an average 4-person household is set at $22,350, while the line for a single person living alone comes in at $10,890." Which means that, by definition, "50 percent of wage earners had net compensation less than or equal to the median wage."

Another recent article points out that, "Over the past two decades -- and especially since about 2000 -- the share of national income that flows into wages and other kinds of worker compensation has been plummeting in various countries [here it's dropped approximately 5% or about $500 billion a year since 1990]."

Furthermore, according to a report by the Nation Employment Law Project, close to 75% of the new jobs added in the last two years are below $14 an hour, while, as Alternet's Sarah Jaffe notes, "60% of the layoffs from the Great Recession were in what the report calls midwage occupations, those that make between $28,142 and $42,973 per year."

In essence, the addition of these new jobs, if they do come, will certainly help, especially when it comes to lowering the persistently high unemployment rate we've been experiencing since the 2008 economic collapse. But they're most likely not going to be very high paying jobs, which is definitely good for capital, but not necessarily so good for labour.

And, of course, nobody talking about this seems to care that for every job we gain, a worker overseas may very well lose theirs. So for me, the potential onshoring of manufacturing trend back to the US is a bit of a mixed blessing when looking at the big picture.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Brian awesome article. that's the first positive thing i've heard out here in detroit for a while... we sure need it.
  • America has lot of lands, resources and talented people. Be decapitalistic and be humility will bring america product and service to another great milestone. Be hopeful be love :D
  • Recycling of pastic, rubber, metal etc and infrastructure on water, forestry and crop farming development. All states in america should have communion joys such as forestry ambience tinge with IT services, cafe, playgrounds etc. A lot of potential in America. America can help those mulnutritious countries by donating supplus from crop farming to them. America can also help the world by pushing down their living standard through maintaining a blissful decapitalistic lifestyle amongst america that only their government can make it happens haaaa :D and hopeful it realizes their potential joyous life of america original goal and fream. ;)