Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Specifically-Buddhist Acronyms. (HHDL, etc)

conradcookconradcook Veteran
edited March 2012 in Buddhism Basics
This is a thread for people to ask and get answers on what certain acronyms that are particular to online Buddhist discussions mean.

HHDL - His Holiness the Dalai Lama
DL - Dalai Lama

Questions:

HYT -???
NKT - ???

Comments

• highest yoga tantra
    new kadampa tradition
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2012
    TNH - Thich Nhat Hanh

TTBLD - The Tibetan Book if Living and Dying
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    FSM - Flying Spaghetti Monster
    BYOB - Bring your own Buddha. ;)
    BhikkhuJayasarablu3ree
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    TB - Tibetan Buddhism
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    @B5C BYOB hahaha <3 awesome.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited February 2012

DO - Dependent Origination
  • NT = Noble Truths
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    8FP - EightfoldPath

I was tempted to put -

5Pr - 5 precepts,

But actually, i've never seen that anywhere - except now!

I have however, seen 8FP before.
  • @federica I appreciated the definitions of IMO and AFAIK as this is the first forum that I've ever used. I've seen other people ask for definitions during the course of discussions and was happy to see this thread started.
    If the Mods feel this should stay just as Buddhist related acronyms, that's cool, I can use Google. But IMO I think the thread would be used well if we included all widely used acronyms.
    edited February 2012
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I've not heard of most of these acronyms... but these are ones those who study the Pali tipitaka should know -

DN - Digha Nikaya - the "long collection"

MN - Majjhima Nikaya — the "middle-length collection"

SN - Samyutta Nikaya — the "grouped collection"

AN - Anguttara Nikaya — the "further-factored collection"

and under the KHuddaka Nikaya are all the little texts like -

Sn - Sutta Nipata

Dhp - Dhammapada
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    What does <3 mean?
  • Bunks said:

What does <3 mean?</p>

There's no "heart" emoticon, so people try to approximate the shape of a heart with <3

Dakini said:

Bunks said:

What does <3 mean?</p>

There's no "heart" emoticon, so people try to approximate the shape of a heart with
    Ahhhhhhh.......I thought it was something to do with breasts!! ;)

I heard a vet tell a story about someone sending him a text to tell him their dog had died. He responded with LOL thinking it meant "Lots of Love". You can imagine his horror when he discovered its actual meaning!
    zombiegirlTosh
    ......so what does it mean when a person puts ^ or ^^ or ^^^ before a post?
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    That generally indicates an arrow pointing upward at the post above them; it means "Look at what the person above me said" and generally means "I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS PERSON"
    Bunks