Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Confesions

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Yes, we are not Catholic and we should not really regret things in the past as they are no longer in the now, but we can at least200 learn from them instead of merely punishing ourselves. Seeing as a wise man once said, "to learn from your mistakes is good, but to learn from the mistakes of others is more profound", why don't we share a few here. I would like to suggest situations or examples where you may still cling to the notion of self, anatman, or how your ego has caused a situation to come into being.

Comments

• I confess to my self indulgent sorrow and pity.
    For burning bridges and causing devastation.
    For following false hope and chasing empty hollowed things to desperation.
    For waiting for salvation in the future.
    For cold anger and close fist kisses.
    ...for falling and failing...and falling and failing.
    ...for dying.
    ...and letting go.
  • It's all out of my control.
  • oh boy:) my real struggle is spiritual pride...
    I don't think I am holier than anyone , but I have so much pride because of my realizations. It makes me think that I have seen more than anyone and I cannot stand it if somebody tries to teach me something about existance or reality etc...
    Oh I suffer so much from it...I don't know how to handle it yet but thanks for the thread...even confessing this made me relaxed a little bit...shame on me!
  • @zen_world...but you realize it. How can you try to change something you are not aware of?
  • I am aware of my pride but I can't change it...because of this, I am turning into an angry man...
  • That doesn't need to be so...the strong help the weak and some compassion and humbleness must be practice when explaining concepts to one that is child like in knowledge. :)
  • Tom my mind is not clear today and I blame myself for that. Like I can write this because I spent a lot of time thinking and gradually drawing it out. But talking to my mom I can't have a conversation because I am so flat today just frozen I guess I am having bad 'negative' symptoms of schizophrenia.

I discovered that the psychiatrists response to mental problems is to try different medicines so I guess if I stay kinda blank for weeks I will tell him that and see what he says. Sometimes I say it is my subtle energies which are messed up.

All of that labeling (energies, disease state) is a way for trying to feel that my mental illness is not my fault. Sure I have good days but when it gets hard like I am frozen and my mind to understand is failing there is a lot of ego and confusion. I've read that is ignorance and dullness and the way to work with that is to find some degree of space in experience. And make things simple.

So that's what I thought of. Morning will probably be better tomorrow.
  • Dont ever say "I can't change something, I can't do something, it's impossible " ... you have a spiritual gift.
  • Virtual hugs for @Jeffrey...it's always darkest before the dawn.
  • That doesn't need to be so...the strong help the weak and some compassion and humbleness must be practice when explaining concepts to one that is child like in knowledge. :)
    oh I have no problem with the weak and people do not know or know little. I have problem with people who call themselves masters, teachers etc or people who think they got it...
  • @zen_world...I call them children too..lol...because for all their knowledge, they don't understand.
  • @jeffrey,

do you think you are getting better - if you look at the big picture?
  • lol...that is an interesting way of looking at it...
  • Sorry to hear of this Jeffrey, I obviously cannot totally relate to your situation, nobody can as nobody is in your shoes. However, you know as I do and many others here that nothing is permanent. If you may also be worrying that people think you are blanking them, explain and be open.

@zen_wrold, yes this is common I think among practicing buddhists. it feeds the ego, I am guilty of this one from time to time. You have a break-through, you feel great as if you have done something macnificant and the world should know. There is probably a line where sharing it is fine and not being attached to it resulting in adding to your ego.

My main problem is still social anxiety, which if I think about it, if I negated the notion of self then it would not exist. So I obviously have not gotten anywhere near to that yet. O yea, and the 'M' word, meditation is non-existent still. It is so easy to try, sit down. It is so silly when you think about it, when people are asked to do something they normally always would prefer to sit down. In my mind it seems a chore and not a part of life or my practice as it should be. I think I need someone to force me to do it, some kind of teacher or tirant.
  • @zen_world...I think that I have reached a point in which I don't debate with people like you speak of. I pity them and hope they come to their own realizations in their own time. I try to keep an innocent open heart and listen to them, more than adding.

Then I always ask "ok, but can you explain that to a ten year old? "
  • Yea I use to debate my opinions until I was furious and wanted the other person to die. Now I stay away from debating, it doesn't matter who is right or wrong unless there are lives at stake.
  • Tom..if you borrow some material like a meditation book or dvd from a library, wouldn't you be motivated? I was pushing my foraging hobbie aside until I hit the library andborrowed books...I know that I have 2weeks to identify the last 100 plants in my binder for wilderness training.
  • @Jeffrey....
    Well, obviously the first approach is always medicine...but since you are a Buddhist practioner you may want to take a look at this as well:
    http://www.lamayeshe.com/index.php?sect=article&id=309&chid=1248

oh and try Medicine Buddha mantra please...

• I have to memorize 37 classifiers in thai at the moment. Instead of saying 'things' like there are 2 cups or 2 things, Thai has 37 different words which relate to certain objects! Ayway, there are many videos on youtube about meditation, I have watched them before and tried. I am aware of methods and what not, I just have no drive.
  • Yea I use to debate my opinions until I was furious and wanted the other person to die. Now I stay away from debating, it doesn't matter who is right or wrong unless there are lives at stake.
    @zen_world...I think that I have reached a point in which I don't debate with people like you speak of. I pity them and hope they come to their own realizations in their own time. I try to keep an innocent open heart and listen to them, more than adding.

Then I always ask "ok, but can you explain that to a ten year old? "
    thanks, both of you...I shall go and watch a peaceful movie now...good nite
  • Nite!
  • Tootles
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    lol...that is an interesting way of looking at it...
    yes my mentality is not a solid thing to be fixed it is ever changing, Yet it is really frustrating when you can't do what is needed for something to be with people. You can sense that things aren't working well and it hurts to bring people down. So that is a big reason mentally ill like to be alone.

• I can help you with that @zen_world ;)
  • Hey Jeffrey,

I hear ya dude. I imagine stability but sometimes it seems pretty boring (at least since i have a good med balance). But that separation from others because things are not right at that moment, and then the times you can't get away from the situation when things are not right, Yeah, you end up alone a lot. I always thought my thing was so mild because I was functional for so long, and now i see how cut off I was, how my career was affected, etc.

Confessions, well nothing I could post that is for sure. Not proud of some things, those actions were awhile ago but I have no guarantee that by meditating I won't make more mistakes.
  • Today is a pretty awful day for me, too, so I offer condolences to those who need them, especially @Jeffrey who seems to need some special metta today.

I found myself spiraling into immense anger and rage with my ex. The situation is not a healthy one. I've since deleted phone numbers and email addresses from my phone and computer to redress this and focus on me.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    oh boy:) my real struggle is spiritual pride...
    I don't think I am holier than anyone , but I have so much pride because of my realizations. It makes me think that I have seen more than anyone and I cannot stand it if somebody tries to teach me something about existance or reality etc...
    Oh I suffer so much from it...I don't know how to handle it yet but thanks for the thread...even confessing this made me relaxed a little bit...shame on me!
    Well then i sincerely apologise if we inadvertently 'rattled your cage' in the long discussion vis-a-vis your concern regarding your teacher's relationship with a pupil.
    as i recall it became quite heated, and there was a split in opinion, which if i am not incorrect, somewhat dismayed you.
    I regret any upset this caused you, given your above 'confession'......
  • Do I need to forgive myself? What does it matter.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    only you know that.....
  • @Denkatsu...sure, but don't forget. Learn from the mistakes.
  • oh boy:) my real struggle is spiritual pride...
    Well then i sincerely apologise if we inadvertently 'rattled your cage' in the long discussion vis-a-vis your concern regarding your teacher's relationship with a pupil.
    as i recall it became quite heated, and there was a split in opinion, which if i am not incorrect, somewhat dismayed you.
    I regret any upset this caused you, given your above 'confession'......
    Hi federica, I am sorry I didn't mean that. I feel very comfortable getting advice from you guys on such topics. I found them very useful and valuable.
    I guess my only issue is about discussions around esoteric or mystical part of Buddhism. Anything that relates to daily life and moral or ethical issues, I feel no pressure or discomfort listening to others' opinion...I found them very very useful...
  • I can help you with that @zen_world ;)
    and how is that gonna work:)?

• How can I this conciousness is looking me in the eye everytime I turn aroound.
  • @weighted, metta and karuna I am wishing you
  • Thanks, @Jeffrey, and everyone here. I didn't mean to hijack TT's thread. :o
  • How can I this conciousness is looking me in the eye everytime I turn aroound.
    Forgive me but you speak like someone who just realized that they have a proverbial consciousness, that says what is right and wrong. Mine came in when I was 17 and it is your friend...don't fear it.
  • ^^ lol. Maybe you are right Alison
  • @weighted, it's cool. Threads run their course like a river and go where they want. I see them as conversations in real life, they never stick to on topic, they often stray. But yes of course, if anybody has any problems with their practice at the moment, feel free to share.
  • Are you too cool to write in our vd on vd thread, tom?
  • vd vd thread??
  • Yeah the one bellow this one. Need a mans opinion lol
  • @weighted I high jack everyone's threads with lolcatz grammar.
  • Sorry tom I had too much penut butter and after going country on cupid...I have another confession...

I am a very naughty girl...I went to the library this week with my laptop and ripped cds from the display case, one by one, without using my library card.

I hid my cat's catnip toy and watched her look for it for almost 30mins.

I jumped inline infront of someone at the grocery store. They were in a wheelchair.

And I have an flair for expressing profanity...that is not sonething I plan to do here, but it is quite creative.

• Wow, quite the outburst lol. I myself have downloaded countless movies using torrents. But apart from that at the moment my day to day life is pretty straight. Hiding your cats toy, that is funny. Anyway as far as thread-jacking is concerned, you had better watch out. That is where it starts, jacking threads, then it is real life conversations, butting in and so forth, then you may find yourself jacking items from stores and then comes car jackings, before you know it, you are jacking 747's.