Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Is Prayer In Buddhism?

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
How is "prayer" defined in Buddhism? If the Buddha isn't a deity, to whom do monks and other practitioners pray? Does prayer necessarily involve praying to a deity or being? If not, how does prayer work in a non-theistic creed?

Is meditation a form of prayer? What does prayer mean to you?

(Thanks to Lady_Alison for a great idea for a thread topic.)

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Dakini, I haven't come across a definition of prayer in Buddhism. I pray for awakening of beings.

• In Mahayana Buddhism, in time of danger, , one would normally recite the name of Guanyin Bodhisattva. In the past, Guanyin Bodhisattva made the vow to rescue sentient beings from dangers.
  • In Mahayana Buddhism, in time of danger, , one would normally recite the name of Guanyin Bodhisattva. In the past, Guanyin Bodhisattva made the vow to rescue sentient beings from dangers.
    Hi, suopohe. What about praying for long life? To whom to you pray from long life?

Hi, suopohe. What about praying for long life? To whom to you pray from long life?
    Perhaps, Medicine Buddha. You can take a look at Sutra of the Medicine Buddha to get some ideas. The benefits of wealth, health, long life, avoidance of accidental death can be obtained. The promises to fulfill sentient beings wishes is hard to believe. It's up to individual interpretation. My understanding is such benefits are only ways to lead them to the entrances.

There is a mantra from Medicine Buddha. Supposedly it can be used to cure diseases. (As a side remedy)

• There is a mantra from Medicine Buddha. Supposedly it can be used to cure diseases. (As a side remedy)
    Yes. I suspect it's for the purpose of inducing a state of mind that can bring about healing. The mind is a powerful healer.

• edited February 2012
    From my understanding, pray to Buddha/Bodhisattva, it's like telepathy communications. When we recite the name, it's like we dial a number and establish the connection to Buddha/Bodhisattva. Its effectiveness is affected by concentration and consistency.

I had one interesting experience. One day on the bus, I had some random thoughts: "Bodhisattvas! why don't you show up physically in front of people so people can beleive in Buddhism?

When I got back home, and went to a Buddhism forum. The first post I saw provided the answer! The answer was quite long. Maybe I can do a quick translation tomorrow.

• Is meditation a form of prayer?
    What does prayer mean to you?
    It can be for some people - depends on the form of meditation I guess.

For me, prayer means a grand communication either externally or internally - it can have different purposes in different situations - sometimes to a deity, or an ancestor or to say the universe - usually it is asking for something.

I tend to lean towards thinking positively about people - if it helps bring them more positivity then great - more likely my conduct towards them will be positive as a result.

I guess I dont pray - I think and read and act... I've been in a few hairraising spots and I've found a sharper calm focus in these times rather than resorting to prayer - when I was younger I prayed - perhaps I've now converted this to writing poems and short stories...
  • Prayer is the wish the evoking of one who wants change. Thats my thoughts plants seeds. imo.
  • So we can grow in the future.
  • That makes a lot of sense, Denkatsu.
  • From my understanding, pray to Buddha/Bodhisattva, it's like telepathy communications. When we recite the name, it's like we dial a number and establish the connection to Buddha/Bodhisattva. Its effectiveness is affected by concentration and consistency.

I had one interesting experience. One day on the bus, I had some random thoughts: "Bodhisattvas! why don't you show up physically in front of people so people can beleive in Buddhism?

When I got back home, and went to a Buddhism forum. The first post I saw provided the answer! The answer was quite long. Maybe I can do a quick translation tomorrow.

I would be interested in hearing your story!
    Namo Guan Shi Yin Pusa!
    Namo Amituofo!
    Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva!

• Jesus christ!

Where the hell do I start? Thanks dakini...inspiration hits her at midnight every few nights we bounce ideas off each other...hehehe, excellent!

Well, when I was young I though prayer was reciting a litany of memorized words in mass. Or crying and wailing on dark nights after something horrible had happened. Or simply words carried off into an empty room.

Very sad...crying into an empty room and not knowing if there is anything there that will hear you.

I use to write "dear God, are you there? It's me, Alison.."letters in form of diary entries...this at least became contemplative...it was a start.

It wasn't until many years that I began to read about Divine proportion in nature, geometry of nature, fractal geometry, the golden spiral and rectangles, Fibonacci in nature, phi ratio...on and on..I could go forever.

But I saw this beautiful pattern in nature and I was in awe about it. I knew that if there was a God, in essence, he really gave a shit about the shape of honey combs or the veins in petals...which means he gave a shit about me, our bodies also have this strange ratio...

For.example: our DNA measures 34 angstrom long by 21 angstrom wide for each full.cycle of its double helix spiral, both 34 and 21 are numbers in the Fibonacci series and their ratio is 1.6190476... closely approximates phi. Which is 1.6180339

Anyway, the point is that I no longer felt like I was talking to an empty room..what ever God is, he or she is holding this reality together so I'm not sure if you guys call that dharma...but realizing this gave me confidence...because whatever I did in life, it would be filled with the knowledge and gratitude I have for the being that created everything and left clues in nature for us to find.

The pursuit of any noble endeavour for.the betterment of mankind is action. Prayer is action. Good deeds is action. Any good that is sent out of you is prayer and action.

But even prayer can not be done without an action. In many ways, meditation is the perfection of prayer.

I find it funny that God did not give perfect prayer to his "chosen" people.

I'm glad he didn't.

Did I ramble? What was the question?
  • @dakini..
    You like my avatar...Roman goddess Diana...also in may ways, s dakini
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    How is "prayer" defined in Buddhism? If the Buddha isn't a deity, to whom do monks and other practitioners pray? Does prayer necessarily involve praying to a deity or being? If not, how does prayer work in a non-theistic creed?

Is meditation a form of prayer? What does prayer mean to you?

(Thanks to Lady_Alison for a great idea for a thread topic.)
    Prayer is mental action, As Buddha taught all that we are is become of mind so when we recite certain prayers to do with compassion, Refuge, Bodhichitta etc we are creating the causes to attain these minds, Also because Buddha's have superior minds and developed non contaminated clairvoyence they are able to spontaniously hear our prayers. One example of this is the Lama Atisha whom while during a teaching with a few close students in Tibet began to chuckle to himself when asked why Atisha replied something to the effect of " While I teach you now my students in India are making prayers and offerings to me" attained minds such as Buddha's and Bodhisattva will spontaniously come whenever they are requested actually seeing these beings depends on how clear our mind is.
  • From my understanding, pray to Buddha/Bodhisattva, it's like telepathy communications. When we recite the name, it's like we dial a number and establish the connection to Buddha/Bodhisattva. Its effectiveness is affected by concentration and consistency.

I would be interested in hearing your story!
    Namo Guan Shi Yin Pusa!
    Namo Amituofo!
    Namo Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva!

I can't translate the whole answer. Sorry.
    The basis ideas:
    The three bodies of the Buddha consist of Dharma-kaya (Truth body), Sambhoga-kaya (Enjoyment body), and Nirmana-kaya(Manifestation body). The person that called Siddhartha who became a Buddha is the Nirmana-kaya(Manifestation body) of Buddha. What regular human eyes can't see are the Dharma-kaya (Truth body), Sambhoga-kaya (Enjoyment body).

According AVATAMSAKA SUTRA, Buddhas have always been manifested in front of sentient beings according to the difference among the minds of sentient beings. They manifest in different forms/physical body and the wisdom is indifferent. They teach Dharma to sentient being without ever resting. Sentient being just don't know they're Buddha/Bodhisattva.

• This is interesting, Catholic's beatify people that have died, into sainthood...they have special days set aside to them and they ask for their intersecession. It is like picking up the phone.

I'm learning
    From my understanding, pray to Buddha/Bodhisattva, it's like telepathy communications. When we recite the name, it's like we dial a number and establish the connection to Buddha/Bodhisattva. Its effectiveness is affected by concentration and consistency.

:dunce:
  • Perhaps, anything you put a loving attention to is a form of prayer. Eh?

Singing is prayer, dance, and yoga, too. Any healing art...medicine or massage therapy.

Idk.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    For me prayer is about setting intention and transforming the mind.

I make prayers of aspiration to try to develop my motivation. I make prayers of homage to develop humility and gratitude.

If I'm honest I also make spontaneous prayers for personal benefit, like please let me win the lottery. :hrm: Intellectually I don't believe anything will come of these but for some reason I still do it from time to time.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Last fall I was in pickle. A rabbit needed to be pulled from a hat...badly. I went downtown to the museum to see an old friend, a ten foot tall 13th century statue of Avalokiteshvara (part of a beautiful and respectfully curated collection).
    I said.."You see, you hear, please help." .... then I left the museum and promptly pulled that rabbit out of that hat. Now, of course that was none other than this mind talking to this mind, and it is truly absurd. But hey, thanks just the same. ;)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    In the setting of rituals, statues, beliefs those influence ideas about prayer. Yet everyone can pray. Dakini, in my sangha I can think of a couple of beliefs. Pranidhanas are to help us to clarify what we want. So say we want to help all beings. That is an example. And then when we know that is our motivation it has power. We also look deeper. For example I want to work as a barrista at a coffee shop. And then I see obstacles in my path such as my fear of not fitting at a location I like and my shyness or even losing my favorite hang-out as a customer. And then that trickles into other areas of buddhism such as sitting with mental states of loss.

So in isolation 'we pray of the tradition' might only tell a part when there also is a whole.
  • Yangsi Rinpoche had some pertinent comments on this in one of his Medicine Buddha teachings--I'll post the link once I remember where it was in the recording! But he addressed the issue of thinking we're praying to "something out there" and how there are other ways to look at it.
  • But he addressed the issue of thinking we're praying to "something out there" and how there are other ways to look at it.
    Yes, please share. :)

• @Jeffrey ...i was a barrista for a year. If you have questions, you can pm me.
  • @Dakini, by synchronicity the question of praying for long life was asked of Lama Shenpen.

Buddhism Connect: Email Teachings

Why do we die when we do?
    Summary: The reasons why we die when we do are complex and we can't really know them. In any case it doesn't really matter, because all that is important is that we keep walking the path to awakening, and from that point of view it doesn't matter when one life ends and another begins.

A student asks:

What determines when I leave this physical body behind? Surely the real "I" would wish to stay until I have achieved enlightenment or is it a case of diminishing returns - when I have achieved as much as I can in this form something (what?) determines it is time to move on?

Lama Shenpen:

This raises complex questions. Lets keep it simple for now. Basically you are asking what causes us to die when we die. It might be because karmically the conditions that allowed us to manifest in this world at this time have exhausted themselves or it might simply be accident, something happened to cut our life short so we still have the karma to be born in this world for a while longer. In the latter case I suppose we would probably be reborn here again quite quickly.

In the other cases I don’t know… well I don’t know full stop.
    From the point of view of the essence of our being all that matters is that we continue on the path to Awakening. It is not important whether it is in this life or the next. All we need is conditions conducive to Awakening. For a being who is freed from Karma and can choose where to be reborn and when to die their only consideration would be the welfare for beings and where they could be reborn to help beings the most. That is why we pray for Lamas to live long – to make our case that we need them and so please do not decide we don’t really benefit from your presence... we are really benefitting and asking you to stay... that is how we pray for teachers to live long.
    Discover the Heart of Buddhism: sign up for Lama Shenpen's Distance Learning Course
  • From Geshe Lhundrup Sopa:

In Buddhism, prayer means some kind of wish, an aspiration to have something good occur. In this sense, a prayer is a verbal wish. The prayers of buddhas and bodhisattvas are mental and have great power. Buddhas and bodhisattvas have equal love and compassion for all sentient beings and their prayers are to benefit all sentient beings. Therefore, when we pray to them for help or guidance they have the power to influence us.

As well as these considerations, prayer produces a certain kind of buddha-result. Praying does not mean that personally you don’t have to practice yourself; that you just leave everything to Buddha. It’s not like that. The buddhas have to do something and we have to do something. The buddhas cannot wash away our stains with water, like washing clothing. The root of misery and suffering cannot be extracted like a thorn from the foot—the buddhas can only show us how to pull out the thorn; the hand that pulls it out must be our own.

Also, the Buddha cannot transplant his knowledge into our being. He is like a doctor who diagnoses our illnesses and prescribes the cure that we must follow through personal responsibility. If a patient does not take the prescribed medicine or follow the advice, the doctor cannot help, no matter how strong his medicines or excellent his skill. If we take the medicine of Dharma as prescribed and follow the Buddha’s advice, we will easily cure ourselves of the diseases of ignorance, attachment and the other obstacles to liberation and omniscience. To turn to the Dharma but then not practice it is to be like a patient burdened by a huge bag of medicine while not taking any. Therefore the Buddha said, “I have provided the medicine. It is up to you to take it.”
  • If prayer brings about a positive "feeling" or state of mind, I think it's worth persuing.

Even if it's just daily affirmations...or saying yes, to whatever is.