Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Evidence for rebirth? Scientific or otherwise?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited April 2012 in Buddhism Basics
You gotta love science; it explains the natural world around us and how the universe functions. It is also used (by some) to be the antithesis to religion and spirituality. While science has been used to explain how the world works, some have also used as supportive evidence for the things that it (at face value) disproves; like God.

Is there any interesting or credible evidence to support rebirth/reincarnation? Apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed before.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran

Is there any interesting or credible evidence to support rebirth/reincarnation? Apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed before.
    It has. Fairly recently, in fact. Much debate over whether the stories of children remembering past lives are acceptable evidence. That's what the discussions boil down to. Go to Amazon and enter "children, past life memories" or some such, and a number of books will come up, if you want to read about it.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Two good books on science and Buddhism are The Quantum and the Lotus and The Universe in a Single Atom.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I would call it anecdotal evidence.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "It should be no more surprising to be born twice, as it is to be born once."
    Voltaire.
    If it's a good enough assessment for him, it's a good enough assessment for me.... ;)

:D
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2012
    If rebirth was actually and literally scientifically "real", would science even be able to obtain evidence of it? If so, how? It explains the natural world around us, but when you die, you are no longer in this world anymore. Does science even have the capability to go beyond this natural world / universe? If not, then it can't prove or disprove anything beyond it, it would seem.
    If rebirth was actually and literally scientifically "real", would science even be able to obtain evidence of it? If so, how?
    That's probably the best question I've seen in this thread.

I have no answer, of course, but what science can measure/understand/study has continuously grown over the years, decades, centuries.

• Meh. Rebirth, meh... I want to believe.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    There is no scientific evidence to support rebirth. That is all.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    there is some "...or otherwise" evidence, though.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    There is no scientific evidence to support rebirth. That is all.
    There is no scientific evidence for you and I having any interior life at all... Science reaches for subjective life and finds a handful of objects.... it ends with behaviorists pulling habits from rats.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012

There is no scientific evidence for you and I having any interior life at all...
    This is true. They still haven't figured out how consciousness works in sentient beings.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

There is no scientific evidence for you and I having any interior life at all... Science reaches for subjective life and finds a handful of objects.... it ends with behaviorists pulling habits from rats.

So the supernatural is a better option?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    1. Science finds something which contradicts the religious idea.
    The scientific finding is ultimately accepted after some centuries of fierce resistance (example: astronomy; evolution).

2. Science finds something which confirms the religious idea.
    It is used as support for the religious ideas. “”See? We were right! Even science is starting to understand this.” (Example: Ian Stevenson)

3 Science doesn’t confirm or disprove the religious idea (maybe because it is constructed in a not-falsifiable form in the first place).
    The religious idea is maintained as being valid because science fails to disprove it.
    And the bonus; science hasn’t solved other questions, like the “hard problem of consciousness” either.
    edited April 2012

So the supernatural is a better option?
    Is that the choice you have... denying your own subjectivity or supernatural belief?

That's between a rock and a hard place.

• (^_^) Hey

I have been studying this connection between Reincarnation / Buddhism and Science for about a year now and have found some rather compelling findings. I myself, am an extremely open minded person, as I'm sure so many of us are - and while I could accept some studies .... some were a little bias, or well ... highly questionable, so I chose to ignore those.

A good starting point is to refer to the work of the prolific French Philosopher and Social Theorist Michel Foucault. Foucault describes 'Society' in terms of 'Discourses' or what I would perceive as 'Societal Regimes' - (Discourses = Modes of thinking, which embody a phase of time)

To illustrate this we should look at Pre-Modern societies - in which Religion, was in many ways central to social life - as in the use of Shamans to 'cure' diseases. Then Europe experienced a scientific revolution, through a process of agricultural - industrial - and then scientific modernisation. This led to a new 'mode' or 'discourse' of thinking, in which disease was then perceived (on the whole correctly..) as a result of biological processes ... as opposed to something with religious connotations, i.e. spiritual possession.

Science then became a rational and littoral art ('The Enlightenmant'), as it still is today. Because our society has collectively shifted into this new Rational and Enlightened mode of thinking - many professional individuals (because of their education in Rational / littoral Science) associate anything remotely spiritual or metaphysical with religion, and thus a past discourse that is seen as 'backwards' and Primative.

Sorry I hope that makes sense! ... but Science / The Scientific World, from what I can see is going to have to get over this psychological barrier (perception of the 'metaphysical' = non-observable, as primitive and a 'no-go area') because they have reached a 'brick wall', so to speak, in following this purely rational and littoral discourse of Scientific Thought. To truly explain life in totality, a broader and potentially 'metaphysical' perspective, must be at least acknowledged. We are on the verge / entering an age where the unseen ... is just starting to be acknowledged..

Consciousness’, cannot be confirmed as a bi-product of of bio-cellular processes within the Brain. Quantum Physicists’ such as John Haglin from Harvard University ( are starting to see that Consciousness’ may be a immaterial entity / force / 'grande field' with its own intelligence, which connects us all (much like the Buddhist notion.) Einstein himself, used the term 'a spiritual unity.' There is a highly credible research centre in the University of Virginia(http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/psychiatry/sections/cspp/dops/home-page) devoted to cases of what are highly likely to be reincarnation ( There is a growing realisation that near death experiences, often demonstrate a similar pattern of events / sensations.

All I can say is be open minded ... humanity as a race, are in their conception. We have much to learn ...

Sorry I hope this makes sense, I am a trained social scientist / researcher ... and I love both quantum physics and philosophy ... which is why I love Buddhism, because it embodies both.

With Kindness,
    Claudie
  • "It should be no more surprising to be born twice, as it is to be born once."
    Voltaire.
    That's an interesting saying, but it's not evidence.

Behaviourists are not representative of the current consensus of scientists, and only briefly ever were: it certainly does not end with them. The closest we have to scientific evidence of our interior lives is the Turing test.
    Much debate over whether the stories of children remembering past lives are acceptable evidence. That's what the discussions boil down to.

It is not scientific evidence for numerous reasons. Whether it is acceptable evidence is up to each individual.

How would one quantify rebirth? If the only evidence we have for it is memories of past lives, then the issue will never be subject to the proper scrutiny of the scientific method and so will be outside its domain. This says nothing of the truth of the issue, only that science would be silent on the issue.
  • Hm... I have put words into Dakini's mouth. Apologies - i'll edit later when i get a chance.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Great post @minimayhen88
    edited April 2012

Behaviourists are not representative of the current consensus of scientists, and only briefly ever were: it certainly does not end with them. The closest we have to scientific evidence of our interior lives is the Turing test.

That is worth reflection.... "closest". How much information will bring you "closer" to the subjective experience of another...? We can do better through inter-subjective dialogue, not the objective traces of subjectivity. At least the former expresses things we have no words for, but can share..

This inherent limiitation of objective knowledge... the tail chasing quality of pursuing subjectivity as an object...is alarming for some people.. is if accepting it will leave them prone to supernatural belief..

that is what I mean by being between a rock and hard place.

....and re: behavourism... it is still the prevailing "objective" approach in the marketplace.. at least out in the field of intervention. ...as if whatever current data won't be superseded . anyway another topic, that.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "It should be no more surprising to be born twice, as it is to be born once."
    Voltaire.
    That's an interesting saying, but it's not evidence.
    i never posted it as such.
    but it's a thought.....

http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm

enjoy..
    this is interesting... and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand....

"A little respect, a little reverence, for the things we cannot 'see'..."

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    There is no proof.

People believe what they WANT to believe.
    well, read the article.....it comes pretty damn close to proof.....and even a guy from the skeptic society had his objections resoundingly quashed.....
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Stevenson’s method is problematic. He supplies anecdotal evidence of the same caliber as the evidence for alien abductions.
    ...Most important, though, is the fact that historians, journalists, and jury members have to evaluate the words and perceptions of people, rather than the structure or properties of things. Stevenson's work would require constant vigilance against being deceived by his subjects. Furthermore, since we know that people can have memories and be completely unaware of the source of those memories, he would have to be vigilant in identifying which memories were likely the result of cryptomnesia. Also, there is the major problem of providing an explanation for how a personality can survive death and transfer to another body, something Stevenson had no answer for.
    Finally, the most problematic issue Stevenson would have to face using his method of collecting stories would be the fact that nothing could ever count against his hypothesis. Stories that are rejected as hoaxes, frauds, questionable, unreliable, or based on experiences in this lifetime would be discarded, but they wouldn't count against the reincarnation hypothesis.
    The worst case scenario for Stevenson's method would be that his evidence does not compel belief and that even the best of it is open to alternative interpretations. Unfortunately, that is also his best case scenario
    http://www.skepdic.com/stevenson.html
  • minimayhen88minimayhen88 Veteran
    edited April 2012
    (^_^)
    http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm

enjoy..
    Dr. Ian Stevenson, is i believe the founder (or co-founder) of the research department I mentioned, at the University of Virginia(http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/psychiatry/sections/cspp/dops/home-page)

He is indeed a highly credable academic, whom is not particularly well known, as he wished to approach the study of reincarnation from an unbiased, scientific perspective, so as to not alienate his study from mainstream academia ... because if anyone got wind of metaphysical connotations, his hard work would have most likely been dismissed as pseudo-science. Since his death, Jim Tucker, another modest academic has taken over his mission to explore reincarnation.
    There is no proof.

In response to this, take a look at this video, an interview with Philosophy professor Dr. Robert Almeder of Georgia State University, whom talks about Dr Ian Stevenson. There is something called 'Falsifiability' in Philosophy, whereby until something is proven wrong .... who is to say it is, wrong? Thus it is potentially right....

If you had never seen a black swan, and saw only white swans. You might say only white swans exist. Until of course the day came you saw a black swan (Sir Karl Raimund Popper -regarded as one of the greatest philosophers of science of the 20th century - black swan theory (-_-)

Peace and Love,

Claudia x

Stevenson’s method is problematic. He supplies anecdotal evidence of the same caliber as the evidence for alien abductions.
    this is correct.
    but the sheer quantity, volume and testability of his findings, coupled with the fact that his research is painstakingly accurate and widespread, lends it a great deal of credibility.
    couple it together with his professional reputation, and the guy's pretty solid.

Alien abduction isn't so far, as reliable or believable as the work this guy has done.
    by a long chalk.

• minimayhen88minimayhen88 Veteran
    edited April 2012

All I can say is those who dismiss such beliefs .... do some research upon the topic, and try to refute it .... I could not refute it, thus the rational decision would be to acknowledge the possibility that such a mechanism, as reincarnation exists. There are many cycles in nature, thus it makes sense that a cycle of consciousness, might exist. And when I look at nature, humanity ... I see more than a biological accident, as some scientists would argue ... call me irrational if you like :-)

In my opinion, It's rational to accept the possibility of reincarnation, given the quantity and quality of the evidence ..... and some might say a little ignorant to dissmiss it (in saying ignorant, I don't mean you are ignorant, mearly sceptacle, which is human nature ... and I am very sceptacle too when it comes to some things)

(^_^) Much love x x x
    [sceptical UK....Skeptical USA]
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012

Science / The Scientific World, from what I can see is going to have to get over this psychological barrier (perception of the 'metaphysical' = non-observable, as primitive and a 'no-go area') because they have reached a 'brick wall', so to speak, in following this purely rational and littoral discourse of Scientific Thought. To truly explain life in totality, a broader and potentially 'metaphysical' perspective, must be at least acknowledged. We are on the verge / entering an age where the unseen ... is just starting to be acknowledged..
    :clap:

Mini, I'll only say that one person's "rather compelling" findings are another person's "unscientific", "anecdotal" evidence. We've been 'round and 'round on this forum with Stevenson's and his successor's studies, and the arguments pro and con. Although I'm a fan of those studies, I've found that neither side is going to convince the other.

However, the OP asked for any evidence, not just scientific, so the thread really isn't about convincing anyone, it's about providing source info for the OP. :D So all these Doubting Thomas comments are really pretty irrelevant to the OP.

...one person's "rather compelling" findings are another person's "unscientific", "anecdotal" evidence. We've been 'round and 'round on this forum with Stevenson's and his successor's studies, and the arguments pro and con. Although I'm a fan of those studies, I've found that neither side is going to convince the other...

Agreed.

There's nothing wrong with "anecdotal evidence", depending on the level of evidence one is seeking. There are things I choose to believe based on anecdotal evidence.

But anecdotal evidence is not proof. And there are things with anecdotal evidence I choose not to believe, or -- more likely -- remain open-minded about.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Right. The OP isn't asking for proof, but for evidence. The wording is kind of refreshing in that regard.

• That is worth reflection.... "closest". How much information will bring you "closer" to the subjective experience of another...? We can do better through inter-subjective dialogue, not the objective traces of subjectivity. At least the former expresses things we have no words for, but can share..

This inherent limiitation of objective knowledge... the tail chasing quality of pursuing subjectivity as an object...is alarming for some people.. is if accepting it will leave them prone to supernatural belief..

It is the closest science will get for the foreseeable future. But science isn't the only method of knowing. It is by far the best for knowing the objective world. It is largely silent on the subjective world, but for some psuedoscientists. To examine my own mind i will not use science, but meditation. To examine others' minds meditation is useless. Both are tools, useful in context

Stephen Jay Gould put forward the concept of non-overlapping magisteria, i thnk it applies here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-overlapping_magisteria

....and re: behavourism... it is still the prevailing "objective" approach in the marketplace.. at least out in the field of intervention. ...as if whatever current data won't be superseded . anyway another topic, that.
    When i think of behaviourism i think of Skinner. That kind of behaviourism has certainly been superseded by the ideas of Turing, Ryle and Dennett (a mathematician and 2 philosophers respectively).
  • Right. The OP isn't asking for proof, but for evidence. The wording is kind of refreshing in that regard.
    There is only evidence for gravity, not proof. Popper has already been mentioned - the concept of falsifiability applies to all things, including gravity. If we could not conceivably disprove gravity it would not be a scientific theory. Proof is a mathematical quality. Sorry for pedantic. Feynman is a great scientist and explains it better than me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPapE-3FRw&feature=BFa&list=FLzjP69dFZugCsYVK6Z4nSbw&lf=mh_lolz
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited April 2012

Seems like a good way to approach this. You can be happy with Stevenson etc and I can be happy without all that.

Why the need to convince me of what you believe?
    From my POV it's only hear-say. You are believing what he believes what others believe and so on....
    (None of this is new - the man and the issue has been discusses in great detail on this very forum ad nauseum.)
    edited April 2012

That is worth reflection.... "closest". How much information will bring you "closer" to the subjective experience of another...? We can do better through inter-subjective dialogue, not the objective traces of subjectivity. At least the former expresses things we have no words for, but can share..

It is the closest science will get for the foreseeable future. But science isn't the only method of knowing. It is by far the best for knowing the objective world. It is largely silent on the subjective world, but for some psuedoscientists. To examine my own mind i will not use science, but meditation. To examine others' minds meditation is useless. Both are tools, useful in context

Stephen Jay Gould put forward the concept of non-overlapping magisteria, i thnk it applies here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-overlapping_magisteria

When i think of behaviourism i think of Skinner. That kind of behaviourism has certainly been superseded by the ideas of Turing, Ryle and Dennett (a mathematician and 2 philosophers respectively).
    I agree with you about different ways of knowing and was going to mention Gould's Non-overlapping magisteria.. it seems sensible and respectful.

Regarding behavourism... the kind I encounter... or to be more accurate.. my wife encounters in her field.... has little to do with reflective philosophy... and is more like an undoubted given.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012

There is only evidence for gravity, not proof.
    This is interesting.
    No proof, because gravity is an invisible field, like consciousness, and electromagnetism. Intangible and non-observable, except in their effects. Like rebirth, maybe.

• Interesting stuff. Scientific "proof" of rebirth, to my way of seeing it, would almost by definition require a rebirth of "self" (the "me" who understands what rebirth is), so since we know there is really no self to be reborn, only energy, I don't see any way to prove it. But I can't find any other explanation for how I can meet someone for the "first time" in either of our lives, and yet feel as if we've known each other forever.

BTW, just because no one has yet discovered them, that doesn't mean graviton particles don't exist. Of course, like evolution, global human-induced rapid climate change, and the spherical earth, that's just a theory. :)
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Interesting stuff. Scientific "proof" of rebirth, to my way of seeing it, would almost by definition require a rebirth of "self" (the "me" who understands what rebirth is), so since we know there is really no self to be reborn, only energy, I don't see any way to prove it. But I can't find any other explanation for how I can meet someone for the "first time" in either of our lives, and yet feel as if we've known each other forever.

BTW, just because no one has yet discovered them, that doesn't mean graviton particles don't exist. Of course, like evolution, global human-induced rapid climate change, and the spherical earth, that's just a theory. :)
    Christians and other theistic belief systems say the same damn thing even though both Buddhists and theists' evidences are very lacking.

• Regarding behavourism... the kind I encounter... or to be more accurate.. my wife encounters in her field.... has little to do with reflective philosophy... and is more like an undoubted given.

Maybe it is like that in practice. Shame. Psychology and sociology are soft sciences at best.

• There is only evidence for gravity, not proof.
    This is interesting.
    No proof, because gravity is an invisible field, like consciousness, and electromagnetism. Intangible and non-observable, except in their effects. Like rebirth, maybe.

Not proof because proof is not the business of science. Proof is the business of mathematics, which may or may not correspond to 'something' in the real world. Gravity is invisible to the eyes, but we can very accurately measure its effects other ways: it is quantifiable. The theory of gravity very closely agrees with what we see (or measure), but one day we may observe something that does not agree with the theory and so the theory will have to change (as happened with Einstein's general relativity). Consciousness is a different category at the moment - we have no real way to measure it, so it is not an object for scientific scrutiny. Whether it will be in the future is open to debate.
    it's like shifting of the Poles... scientists and mathematicians can measure that, with the tools available to them, which weren't even a figment of anyone's inagination, 100 years ago....
  • Interesting stuff. Scientific "proof" of rebirth, to my way of seeing it, would almost by definition require a rebirth of "self" (the "me" who understands what rebirth is), so since we know there is really no self to be reborn, only energy, I don't see any way to prove it. But I can't find any other explanation for how I can meet someone for the "first time" in either of our lives, and yet feel as if we've known each other forever.

And just because no-one has discovered the invisible flying pink unicorn handing out ice-cream while orbiting Pluto doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You can't disprove a negative. But we have other criteria on which to base a decision - in the case of the unicorn it is just plain silly, though i cannot ever disprove it absolutely. We have to be careful, as B5C alludes to, not to allow silly beliefs to enter through this loophole.

I'm not sure what category rebirth would belong to. If we have some way too measure it, then we can proceed to prove/disprove it. If we cannot measure it, then we can only believe or disbelieve it. Personally i would not take the account of children's memories as evidence, but i believe that has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere.
  • it's like shifting of the Poles... scientists and mathematicians can measure that, with the tools available to them, which weren't even a figment of anyone's inagination, 100 years ago....
    Yes. The only difference with rebirth (and consciousness) is whether there is something fundamentally unmeasurable about it or whether we simply lack the tools currently. The suns poles were always measurable, we just had to wait for the technology.
  • Asking about rebirth seems to be getting ahead of ourselves. As yet the sciences have only anecdotal evidence for consciousness. Consciousness studies must be the only discipline that relies entirely on first-person reports and some would say that for this reason it is not scientific. Indeed, if we are being techically correct the theory that consciousness exists is not scientific since it is not falsifiable.

So a prior question might be, where is the scientific evidence for consciousness?

All in all it's a mess. Science really does need to get its act together on this one. Having followed progress in scientific consciousness studies for ten years I can report that there hasn't been any.

Not sure about rebirth myself. I've read some usually trustworthy sages who say it's a story for the masses or the simplification of a more subtle idea. I hope so.
    ^^ I disagree with your phrase that science needs to "get its act together". Makes it sound like science is being lazy, or something. Science progresses at a pace dependent on how much of a focus occurs in a certain area/phenomenon.