Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New family member today!

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited May 2012 in General Banter
Adopted a shelter kitty today. He's a very friendly, very handsome boy. His shelter name is "Topknot" because he's got a knot on his head that they said is a BB. I'm not sure about that, and we're going to have our friend Laura the vet take a look at it. We're thinking "Eight Ball" is a better name, but that's still open for debate. This pic was taken 2 hours after arriving home, even *with* the dog in the house. Clearly he's severely traumatized by the whole process. It'll be nice to have a kitty boy in the house again. Our beloved Wilbur disappeared in early October last year :(

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Congratulations; he looks lovely. He also looks like a 'John' to me; maybe 'Charlie'; but what ever you call him, he's a very chilled out boy.

Cats are great aren't they. So cheeky.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    He looks like he's already taking charge of the house.
  • what a cutie, enjoy!
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    Our black ones were Schwarz and Inky.

Congrats! He looks right at home :) .
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    Congratulations!... yeah he looks right at home.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    That looks just like my old cat. He was a stray that we unofficially adopted. We started leaving food and water out for him and he eventually stopped roaming and stayed with us. I was just a kid at the time. I'd sit down on the deck and he would come and sit on my lap or lay on me if I was sleeping outside. He was very quiet, never once meowed or purred but he always seemed content.

His name was China Cat Sunflower, we just called him China or China Cat for short. I was the one who named him, after a favorite song of mine.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It doesn't matter what name you give a cat.... they have their own....Munkustrap told me....
  • ethereaetherea Veteran
    He looks like he's having the time of his life!
  • weightedweighted Veteran
    Adorable!
  • cool cat, eight-ball is an apt name but I don't think rolls off of the tongue well enough, just my opinion. Smokey? Mystic? Vader? Shadow? lol I am just spiuting out random names real quick off the top of my head, I hope you enjoy the cats company. TC are my intitials so Top Cat is already taken ;)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I like Eightball, you should make his full name Magic Eightball though so you can shake him to predict the future. My prediction is that most of the time, when you shake him, it will say F You. :lol:
  • Apparently he's been under the kitchen sink all day. He comes right out when I pull the curtain back, but he didn't volunteer to do so when I was calling him. We'll have to give him a few days to adjust. I just hope he learns to go outside. I hate having a litter box in the house. We live in the country, so the whole world could be his litter box.
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    I love his yellow eyes... a nice looking kitty
  • He is lucky to have a good home and a good owner. I assume you have moved back to your country house then @Mountains? I remember you saying you were looking forward to that a while ago. Let us know when you have a conclusion decision on the name ;)
  • Congrats on your new furry master, Mountains. I am sure he will have you well trained in no time at all. ;)
  • Yeah, well, Mr. Eightball's name may well be changed to "Mud". He turned over my starter tray with 72 heirloom tomato seedlings in it last night! Not sure how many are going to be salvageable. Not a good way to start things off!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Ooooooh... that a baaaaad kitty.......
    Yeah, well, Mr. Eightball's name may well be changed to "Mud". He turned over my starter tray with 72 heirloom tomato seedlings in it last night! Not sure how many are going to be salvageable. Not a good way to start things off!
  • AND I just found a box in the kitchen which he has been using as a litter box - in lieu of his dedicated litter box (yes, he knows where that one is).
    Pin this up where he can read it:

When he killed the little kittens,
    Of the skin he made him mittens,
    Made them with the fur side inside,
    Made them with the skin side outside.
    He, to get the warm side inside,
    Put the inside skin side outside;
    He to get the cold side outside
    Put the warm side fur side inside.
    That's why he put the fur side inside,
    Why he put the skin side outside,
    Why he turned them inside outside.

(After H.W.Longfellow, in the style of 'Song of Hiawatha')
    A sprayer bottle filled with water is a really effective way to discipline a cat. You have to catch them in the act for it to work. It doesn't hurt the cat but they really hate it, its worked with all my cats to modify their behavior. I rarely need to use it anymore with my current cat, just a terse word gets her to behave.

http://voices.yahoo.com/is-water-bottle-effective-aid-5871184.html
    Works on my husband too.
    Particularly in the morning when he still isn't up by 10.00am.....

:eek:

:lol:
  • I'm not staying up all night to stalk him. And it's hard to do when I'm gone all day...
    I'm not staying up all night to stalk him. And it's hard to do when I'm gone all day...
    Just keep one around, you don't have to stalk him, just wait for an opportunity. I've found it only takes one or two times catching them to get them to stop.
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Just keep one around, you don't have to stalk him, just wait for an opportunity. I've found it only takes one or two times catching them to get them to stop.
    Yes, they learn not to do the 'bad behaviour' when you're around.

:D
  • Well, Mr. Eightball has disappeared. We have a dog door, so there's no way to prevent it. According to the shelter he'd never been outside, and when I took him out on the porch briefly on Thursday, he bolted back inside immediately. He'd been hiding most of the time (when he wasn't turning over tomatoes or crapping in boxes in the kitchen), but he'd been eating and drinking. As of last evening however, he's gone. My other cat did that when I first got him, and he came back about three days later. I figure Mr. Eightball will either make his way back or he won't though...
  • ginabginab Veteran
    I hope Mr. Eightball makes it home safe. My kitties bit the heads off of my beet seedlings. I had left the plants on the porch thinking they'd be safe from the squirrels and raccoons. HAH! :D