Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

:Trying to end suffering: vs :Accepting suffering: ?

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Basics
What i would like to know is; 'How could Buddhism help someone who ''accepts suffering as a part of life therefore doesnt suffer much, because he doesnt dwell on his suffering, because he knows, understands, and accepts suffering as a natural part of Life..

I often wonder if ''trying to end our suffering can actually cause our suffering..''

What are your thoughts?

Thanks. x

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
  • I have this tatooed on my inner arm. :D x
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    If someone is living in full acceptance of lifes pains then they would also manifest an understanding of empathy, sympathy, tenderness, compassion and love. This would lead to the wisdom of the eroneous notion of self where your question would no longer be relevent.

Trying to end our suffering causes suffering if we cling to it.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2012
    And at the same time, getting to know the causes of our suffering instead of labelling them with wrong view or trying to run from them (thus acceptance) is a good way to shine a light on the darkness.

By accepting suffering (seeing it for what it really is), we can maybe end suffering.

I don't know... Kinda winging it it at the moment.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @ ourself
    I doubt any Buddhist here would disagree!
  • There is a difference. Dukkha, translated as suffering or unsatisfactoriness, may not be much of a big deal in this day and age with all our advances. A long time ago people really looked at dukkha as a whole. I would think that to see and know dukkha, we would have to look at it as a whole. How is birth, old age, sickness, and death related to dukkha. How is everything related to it. To see how everything relates to it is to really see it. Not all of us are there yet. So in my view, in order to accept dukkha, we would have to see it in its entirety first.

Trying to end our suffering can cause suffering, this is true, but then what have we got to lose? We're already suffering. Unless we don't see it yet.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited June 2012
    What i would like to know is; 'How could Buddhism help someone who ''accepts suffering as a part of life therefore doesnt suffer much, because he doesnt dwell on his suffering, because he knows, understands, and accepts suffering as a natural part of Life..

I often wonder if ''trying to end our suffering can actually cause our suffering..''

What are your thoughts?

Thanks. x
    No, mere acceptance does not mean the end of suffering. It is not as easy as that. Acceptance can help somewhat with facing difficulties, but it is not the thorough and permanent solution to suffering.

Trying to end our suffering can only cause our suffering IF there is no proper way of ending it.

For example:

If your physical body is such that you are unfit, how can you possibly run 2.4km in 9 minutes? To do so is to cause yourself distress. Because you are using hard will to resist the body's conditions to achieve something that is impossible due to your current physical limitations.

HOWEVER... it does not mean that you will not be able to one day achieve 2.4km in 9 minutes. It just means there must be a proper of training your body gradually. It is not simply a matter of mere will and determination to 'overcome' the body's limitation, this is not possible. Determination, effort, is important but it is not the only requisites.

Instead, you must treat the problem like a doctor: examine the problem, the cause of the problem, the end of the problem, the way to end the problem.

Likewise the Buddha's way of four noble truths: suffering, cause of suffering, end of suffering, way to end suffering.

In the same way, if you try to use hard will to overcome suffering, you will only cause yourself distress. Why? You are trying to resist your mental conditions to achieve something that is impossible due to your current mental limitations [i.e. your latent tendencies and conditions that produce afflictions].

We have to understanding that all experiences - physical or mental - including your suffering, is not arising due to agency or a controller or by hard will. They manifest due to dependent origination, due to causes and conditions, and therefore can only stop arising when the causes are removed. And there must be a proper way to remove those causes. And 'will' can only influence the outcome, it does not 'control' the outcome, i.e. determination to practice must be followed by the practice before seeing the outcome.

Therefore, there is a gradual method of training which leads to wisdom, which leads to tranquility, which leads to release of these very afflictions. What is it? It is the path of the Noble Eightfold Path.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Maybe the question has some explosive material in it because (the way I see it) there’s a difference in the way people define liberation or the ultimate goal of Buddhism.

One way of looking at it is that all existence is dukkha and liberation can mean one thing only; the end of suffering is the end of all existence, the end of the cycle of rebirth, extinguishment, nibbana.

The other way of looking at it is that liberation is here and now. Enlightened life is possible and it does not rely on faith in rebirth. (It doesn’t exclude such faith either though.)
    Liberation is linked to realizing the emptiness of dukkha; and of the end of dukkha alike.
    It’s Buddhism after Nagarjuna, which emphasizes emptiness.

But that’s just theory about the ultimate goal of Buddhism.
    The practical side to it could be that there is a third option; not trying to make suffering go away, not accepting it either; but seeing through the dreamlike nature of it all and realizing the truth.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Maybe the question has some explosive material in it because (the way I see it) there’s a difference in the way people define liberation or the ultimate goal of Buddhism.

One way of looking at it is that all existence is dukkha and liberation can mean one thing only; the end of suffering is the end of all existence, the end of the cycle of rebirth, extinguishment, nibbana.

The other way of looking at it is that liberation is here and now. Enlightened life is possible and it does not rely on faith in rebirth. (It doesn’t exclude such faith either though.)
    Liberation is linked to realizing the emptiness of dukkha; and of the end of dukkha alike.
    It’s Buddhism after Nagarjuna, which emphasizes emptiness.

But that’s just theory about the ultimate goal of Buddhism.
    The practical side to it could be that there is a third option; not trying to make suffering go away, not accepting it either; but seeing through the dreamlike nature of it all and realizing the truth.
    Realizing of truth will eventually lead to the experience of release from suffering.

The Buddha's teaching is that liberation is both the ending of rebirth cycle, and the ending of suffering in the here and now. In fact, there cannot be one without the other - there is no end of rebirth without liberation here and now, no liberation here and now without end of rebirth. Thus it makes no sense to see nirvana is merely an after-life state.

An arhant who removes the afflictions of passion, aggression and delusion, has achieved liberation here and now, despite the continued experience of sense awareness and bodily functions. And after post-mortem where bodily aggregates ceased too, there is no more rebirth.

The former is called 'nirvana with residue', the latter is 'nirvana without residue'.

Nibbanadhatu Sutta

This was said by the Lord...

"Bhikkhus, there are these two Nibbana-elements. What are the two? The Nibbana-element with residue left and the Nibbana-element with no residue left.

"What, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. However, his five sense faculties remain unimpaired, by which he still experiences what is agreeable and disagreeable and feels pleasure and plain. It is the extinction of attachment, hate and delusion in him that is called the Nibbana-element with residue left.

"Now what, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with no residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. For him, here in this very life, all this is experience, not being delighted in, will be extinguished. That, bhikkhus, is called the Nibbana-element with no residue left.

"These bhikkhus, are the two Nibbana-elements."

Verse:
    These two Nibbana-elements were made known
    By the Seeing One, stable, and unattached:
    One is the element seen here and now
    With residue, but with the cord of being destroyed;
    The other, having no residue for the future,
    Is that wherein all modes of being utterly cease.

Having understood the unconditioned state,
    Released in mind with the cord of being destroyed,
    They have attained to the Dhamma-essence.
    Delighting in the destruction (of craving),
    Those stable ones have abandoned all being.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited June 2012
    But I do agree that the practical (in fact, only) way to the end suffering is to focus on developing wisdom, and that includes contemplating and realizing the two emptiness (both self and dharma). By means of insight meditation, vipassana or vipashyana, one meditates on the nature of mind, the nature of appearance, thoughts and emotions... which is the union of luminosity and emptiness. This will lead to the experience of release or liberation. But there can be no release or liberation without first of all the arising of wisdom or insight.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    A good question. It brings to mind the 2 arrows sutta, where a distinction is drawn between physical pain and the mental suffering associated with it.
    I don't think it's possible to realise the third Noble Truth without first realising the first Noble Truth.
    The former is called 'nirvana with residue', the latter is 'nirvana without residue'.

Nibbanadhatu Sutta

This was said by the Lord...

"Bhikkhus, there are these two Nibbana-elements. What are the two? The Nibbana-element with residue left and the Nibbana-element with no residue left.

"What, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. However, his five sense faculties remain unimpaired, by which he still experiences what is agreeable and disagreeable and feels pleasure and plain. It is the extinction of attachment, hate and delusion in him that is called the Nibbana-element with residue left.

"Now what, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with no residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. For him, here in this very life, all this is experience, not being delighted in, will be extinguished. That, bhikkhus, is called the Nibbana-element with no residue left.

I'm still not clear what the practical difference is.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    If we were to truly accept everything that arises in our experience, there would be no opposition and thus no suffering. But can we do it just like this? I doubt it...
    A related question: is the desire for happiness the cause of our unhappiness? If yes, then are we deluded that Buddhist practice will make us happy?
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Hi Xabir, there is also this passage:
    "Now, lady, when asked if the Tathagata exists after death, you say, 'That has not been declared by the Blessed One: "The Tathagata exists after death."' When asked if the Tathagata does not exist after death... both exists and does not exist after death... neither exists nor does not exist after death, you say, 'That too has not been declared by the Blessed One: "The Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist after death."' Now, what is the cause, what is the reason, why that has not been declared by the Blessed One?"

"Very well, then, great king, I will question you in return about this very same matter. Answer as you see fit. What do you think great king: Do you have an accountant or actuary or mathematician who can count the grains of sand in the river Ganges as 'so many grains of sand' or 'so many hundreds of grains of sand' or 'so many thousands of grains of sand' or 'so many hundreds of thousands of grains of sand'?"

"No, lady."

"Then do you have an accountant or calculator or mathematician who can count the water in the great ocean as 'so many buckets of water' or 'so many hundreds of buckets of water' or 'so many thousands of buckets of water' or 'so many hundreds of thousands of buckets of water'?"

"No, lady. Why is that? The great ocean is deep, boundless, hard to fathom."

"Even so, great king, any physical form by which one describing the Tathagata would describe him: That the Tathagata has abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising. Freed from the classification of form, great king, the Tathagata is deep, boundless, hard to fathom, like the ocean. 'The Tathagata exists after death' doesn't apply. 'The Tathagata doesn't exist after death doesn't apply. 'The Tathagata both exists and doesn't exist after death' doesn't apply. 'The Tathagata neither exists nor doesn't exist after death' doesn't apply.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn44/sn44.001.than.html

I think the idea is to move away from speculation, which is rooted in present dukkha. Also, any speculation would by nature be phenomenal, and thus irrelevant.
  • xabirxabir Veteran

I'm still not clear what the practical difference is.
    Nibbana with residue: arhant still living, still experience sensations, no more craving or attachment.

Nibbana without residue: arhant no longer living, post-mortem state, no more rebirth.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Thanks PrairieGhost, nice quote. Nibbana indeed is free from any future arising (rebirth)... and is fathomless like ocean, beyond all extremes.
  • is the desire for happiness the cause of our unhappiness? If yes, then are we deluded that Buddhist practice will make us happy?
    Brilliant question and i personally agree. simular to my other post, this is something that in the back of my head ive always thought.
    'Maybe our desire/practice/search for happiness is what is keeping us that little bit unhappy and therefore we still 'seek' that little bit more

But the people who dont seek or dont have a practice seem to be the ones one are the normal happy ones.. (im not saying that everyone who isnt spiritual is happy but could it be that having a practice or belief or religion is what is keeping us from actually living life as it is and becoming normal again, just like we were before we started looking for happiness...

For me personally, that where i want to head. Back to where i was before buddhism. Before i asked question. When i didnt buy religous books, buddhists books, zen books and self help books. I want to get back to 'normal'

I want my non seeking mind back..

I believe meditation can help me with this.
    Ive often thought of removing buddhism from my every day life and just focusing on Meditation because when i meditate, its the closest to how my mind was before i started seeking.. (if that makes sense..
    If we were to truly accept everything that arises in our experience, there would be no opposition and thus no suffering. But can we do it just like this? I doubt it...
    No, one needs the 8-fold path. ;)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    It's not a this VS that issue.

First you accept you're suffering, then you let it go.

Some people only try to do one of the two, which won't work.
  • Xabir

And it is also important to see that, while dependent origination is a key to the end of suffering, nothing has ever been caused or originated.
    No, mere acceptance does not mean the end of suffering.
    But full acceptance does.
  • Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

It seems the idea in Buddhism is about relating to pain. Pain is not suffering. Suffering results from our relation to pain. This is where mediation in priceless because it allows us to see and relate to our thoughts, the impermanence of our thoughts, and step back from reacting in old and familiar, suffering ways.

When we accept pain as part of life, without attaching to it as “us”, we can cultivate a new perspective towards it. For instance, depression. I can say “I am depressed” or I can say, “Hello depression, thanks for stopping by…” I can see it as my brain doing brain business. More often than not, it’s a result of something – aging, I’m going nowhere, I’ve done nothing, etc… Typical human worries about who I think I am or what I don’t have that I believe I need. All efforts of the ego to get back in the driver’s seat.

The first noble truth does not say that existence is pain, it says existence is suffering and suffering comes from craving, clinging, attachment, whatever word we like. It does not say pain is the problem. For me, and this is never easy, I try a sort of radical acceptance of all pain because the alternative – fighting it off, denying it, letting it take control – doesn’t work. Pain is rough but it never fails to teach me something and it’s always impermanent. When I don’t see pain but, instead, merely feel it, letting it take me wherever it pleases, then I’m at its mercy and will suffer.

As far as I can see, all my suffering comes from my inability to relate to pain and falling back into feeling the pain as me. It’s not me. Nor are my thoughts. Even when we’re in great pain, at some point our thoughts turn to “what’s for dinner?” This proves that whatever the pain is, it’s not permeating everything and indeed, there is room for us to relate to pain, not identify with it. When I can step back and say to myself, “Ah, pain (displeasure, discomfort, anxiety, etc..), I wonder how it will manifest this time?” – I figure I’m taking a better approach.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    Xabir

And it is also important to see that, while dependent origination is a key to the end of suffering, nothing has ever been caused or originated.
    Yes, but that also does not go beyond seeing dependent origination, I.e. What dependently originates is empty, illusory, unfindable, without origin, place of origin or destination.

Just like a fire, an illusory display, dependently arisen is empty of an origin... Etc.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    *place of abiding
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    No, mere acceptance does not mean the end of suffering.
    But full acceptance does.
    There will not be end of suffering without end of craving.

For example, your son or daughter has died. Sorrow arises, grieve arises. Why? There is craving, attachment, even a sense of possessiveness ("this is MY child"), so you feel the loss. If it were someone elses' son or daughter, you might feel something but certainly not as much as if it were "YOUR" child.

Now, to cope with that sorrow or grieve, you may try your best to "accept your situation". You may also try to think positively like maybe now he/she is in a better place, etc. But as long as craving/attachment/possessiveness is there, there is suffering. It is something that requires time to heal, some counselling, inner acceptance, coming to terms with things, etc.

BUT... If you had no craving, no attachment, no sense of I, me or mine, then sorrow Will Not even arise to begin with. No acceptance is even required when there never was a sorrow or suffering or negative situation "to be accepted".
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    This is why acceptance is not the complete and thorough solution to suffering as it does not prevent sorrow and suffering from arising (or arising again). An arahant however has no craving, attachment, possessiveness, sorrow, suffering.
    edited June 2012
    Hi xabir
    Now, to cope with that sorrow or grieve, you may try your best to "accept your situation". You may also try to think positively like maybe now he/she is in a better place, etc. But as long as craving/attachment/possessiveness is there, there is suffering. It is something that requires time to heal, some counselling, inner acceptance, coming to terms with things, etc.
    I don't think that's what porpoise meant by full acceptance. Self is resistance, so in acceptance, there can't be self.

As I mentioned on another thread, the subtle teachings are superceded by the basic teachings, not the other way round. The subtle teachings exist because the basic teachings are difficult for most of us.

• xabirxabir Veteran
    Now, even if you consider "total acceptance" to be a st
    Hi xabir
    I don't think that's what porpoise meant by full acceptance. Self is resistance, so in acceptance, there can't be self.

As I mentioned on another thread, the subtle teachings are superceded by the basic teachings, not the other way round. The subtle teachings exist because the basic teachings are difficult for most of us.

When there is no-self, there is neither resistance or acceptance, there is simply the hearing/sounds, the seeing/sights, without a seer, hearer, or a person there who can accept or not accept whatever arises. However, there is the "peak experience of no self" where athletes talk about "being in the flow" or where you may suddenly be "one with nature"... This is a kind of experience, but not realization, and such experience without insight will be transient. Therefore realizing anatta as a dharma seal, always already so, is important.

In any case, even if you practice "total acceptance" or "letting go" and relinquish sense of self, nonetheless if you do not follow the noble eightfold path, do not develope wisdom, there will not be the thorough and complete end of craving and suffering. Merely trying to letting go without developing wisdom is insufficient as ignorance is the root of afflictions. Even if you are able to let go today, tomorrow another issue may again incite craving, anger, delusion, possessiveness, attachment, sorrow, fear, suffering. The intention to let go is correct but must go along with wisdom that penetrates into the non-dual and empty nature of whatever arises, then naturally everything is self-released.

The buddha did not say "the path to the termination of craving and end of suffering is acceptance". From the first day of his teaching career he taught the four noble truths and the noble eightfold path which stresses the threefold development of morality, samadhi and prajna wisdom.

I totally agree with "the subtle teachings are superceded by the basic teachings", and the most basic and foundational teachings of Buddha begins with the four noble truths and eightfold path, the three characteristics, dependent origination and so on. This path is already a complete path of its own, yet because people do not understand its subtle implications, many "subtle teachings" arose to fill in the gaps. I have written a long piece on this but will disgress as I do not wish to go off-topic.

Suffice to say, it is not right to tell people "just accept everything as it is then there is no suffering", for as long as there is no development of prajna wisdom, whatever we practice, even if we are able to attain deep states of samadhi, are not sufficient for liberation.
    edited June 2012
    xabir
    Suffice to say, it is not right to tell people "just accept everything as it is then there is no suffering",
    Yes, it's not so easy as just thinking 'I accept'.

Because deep down we don't believe it will work. That's what zazen and the subtle teachings are for, to convince us that this is the correct choice.
    naturally everything is self-released
    Yes and no. In an ultimate sense, yes. But from the point of view of a seeker, a choice must be made between selfishness and selflessness. All the teachings can do is explain why that's the correct choice.
    edited June 2012
    For instance, zazen is the mind forcing us to remain sitting still, watching the breath. We resist strenuously, until enough resistance is overcome for us to see the potential bliss in this reversal of our natural acquisitiveness. At that point, we decide to let go completely. Even of the need to consciously breathe and of the desire to watch the breath.

And in letting go of the breath, we understand that no one was ever watching the breath and no one was breathing. Thus realisation and acceptance become effortless. There is no one left to resist the uncontrived life that ignorance led us to believe was best resisted.

There is still karmic residue in this first stage of nibbana, but the residue dissolves in this life, not after it.

(this story can also be told on a parallel level, in terms of the flow of kundalini. Or it can be told in terms of dependent origination.)
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    When I was studying the martial arts, as well as basic training; when I feel pain, do not ignore it. Instead accept it, assign it a smell, a color, a form; study it and when you comprehend what it is, then move on to the next task. I this way, the pain of the past is more of an identified aquantence, and not a stranger.
    There will not be end of suffering without end of craving.
    I agree. But craving ( wanting ) and aversion ( not wanting ) are symptomatic of us wanting things to be other than they are. Full acceptance of the way things are would mean an end of wanting and not wanting. So for example if we could really accept aging and death they wouldn't be a source of suffering.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    Hi porpoise, what you said is quite true. However you are talking about no-craving and acceptance as a form of practice. Which is ok. But this is not a thorough and complete path as I shall explain.

I am talking about no-craving as the natural result of the path of wisdom, or wisdom and samadhi co-joined, where one penetrates into the self-less, impermanent, stressful, empty and self-releasing nature of the aggregates. As a result of wisdom, there is no craving.

If one were to practice letting go of craving, "accepting totally" etc, it will be a contrived effort or even an impossible task. For simple issues it may be easy to let go. But if it is something or someone you invested a lot of attachment to? For example your spouse you lived with for an entire life suddenly passed away? There is this "unwillingness" to let go, it does not seem natural or even possible to let go because the entire body is "wired" or "imprinted" to hold. This is how strong our latent tendencies are before liberation.

But for someone who has penetrated with wisdom and destroyed the taints, there is no craving, there is no need to even intentionally "accept things". There never was an investment of attachment to a something, so its "loss" is never felt, it has never become an issue which needed "acceptance". Its loss or presence became irrelevant. One is no longer affected by the eight winds of gain/loss, etc etc. There is simply a perpetually self-releasing of the aggregates without any identification or posession, all is effortless.

That is why the thorough and complete solution to suffering is still the noble eightfold path. Acceptance on its own will not be able to destroy the taints in the way the noble eightfold path can.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    For instance, zazen is the mind forcing us to remain sitting still, watching the breath. We resist strenuously, until enough resistance is overcome for us to see the potential bliss in this reversal of our natural acquisitiveness. At that point, we decide to let go completely. Even of the need to consciously breathe and of the desire to watch the breath.

And in letting go of the breath, we understand that no one was ever watching the breath and no one was breathing. Thus realisation and acceptance become effortless. There is no one left to resist the uncontrived life that ignorance led us to believe was best resisted.

There is still karmic residue in this first stage of nibbana, but the residue dissolves in this life, not after it.

(this story can also be told on a parallel level, in terms of the flow of kundalini. Or it can be told in terms of dependent origination.)
    hi, thanks for sharing.

As long as a path leads to the development of morality, samadhi and wisdom in the manner of the noble eightfold path, it is in line with what I am saying.

• xabirxabir Veteran
    *in a complete manner
    edited June 2012
    :thumbup:
    edited June 2012

If one were to practice letting go of craving, "accepting totally" etc, it will be a contrived effort or even an impossible task. For simple issues it may be easy to let go. But if it is something or someone you invested a lot of attachment to? For example your spouse you lived with for an entire life suddenly passed away? There is this "unwillingness" to let go, it does not seem natural or even possible to let go because the entire body is "wired" or "imprinted" to hold. This is how strong our latent tendencies are before liberation.

On the contrary, it is holding on to things that is a contrived. The feelings of loss and unwillingness to let go is precisely what needs to be let go of, as it is arising in the present and obscuring the space which is a mind of total relaxation that does not hold onto anything. And this practice, itself, is the practice of wisdom, because in letting go we become intimate with impermanence, which includes impermanence of our self in this moment.

Perhaps morality becomes an essential aspect of this path as in this process we see the interconnectedness of everything and compassion/ethical action naturally arises from this. There is no need to practice contrived morality and contrived meditation in the hope of arriving at some wisdom later on. It is all already present, the 8-Fold Path is followed in the here and now.

I am just exploring here, trying to make sense of it myself. I am starting to question the whole edifice of Buddhism, and being more drawn to teachers like Eckhart Tolle amnd Adyashanti. But perhaps the edifice is helpful. I don't profess to be able to do what I've written above, far from it..
    edited June 2012
    SattvaPaul
    There is no need to practice contrived morality and contrived meditation in the hope of arriving at some wisdom later on. It is all already present, the 8-Fold Path is followed in the here and now.
    From the point of view of nirvana, samsara is a complete path as nothing has ever been contrived or in error. There was no misunderstanding because no one was there to understand, and what looks like correct understanding (intellectually) is just a lack of suffering.

It is possible to see the process without seeing the intellect as central to it, or understanding as its driving force.

In the best of all possible worlds, this one, there had to be suffering so that there could be nirvana. Or, samsara is a gift that takes a long time to be appreciated.
    They rounded the foot of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains, and there was the Message written in blazing letters along the crest of the Mountain. There was a little observation vantage point with a rail built along the top of a large rock facing it, from which you could get a good view. It had a little pay-telescope for looking at the letters in detail, but no one would ever use it because the letters burned with the divine brilliance of the heavens and would, if seen through a telescope, have severely damaged the retina and optic nerve.
    They gazed at God's Final Message in wonderment, and were slowly and ineffably filled with a great sense of peace, and of final and complete understanding.
    Fenchurch sighed. "Yes," she said, "that was it."
    They had been staring at it for fully ten minutes before they became aware that Marvin, hanging between their shoulders, was in difficulties. The robot could no longer lift his head, had not read the message. They lifted his head, but he complained that his vision circuits had almost gone.
    They found a coin and helped him to the telescope. He complained and insulted them, but they helped him look at each individual letter in turn, The first letter was a "w", the second an "e". Then there was a gap. An "a" followed, then a "p", an "o" and an "l".
    Marvin paused for a rest.
    After a few moments they resumed and let him see the "o", the "g", the "i", the "s" and the "e".
    The next two words were "for" and "the". The last one was a long one, and Marvin needed another rest before he could tackle it.
    It started with an "i", then "n" then a "c". Next came an "o" and an "n", followed by a "v", an "e", another "n" and an "i".
    After a final pause, Marvin gathered his strength for the last stretch.
    He read the "e", the "n", the "c" and at last the final "e", and staggered back into their arms.
    "I think," he murmured at last, from deep within his corroding rattling thorax, "I feel good about it."
    The lights went out in his eyes for absolutely the very last time ever.
    Luckily, there was a stall nearby where you could rent scooters from guys with green wings.
    So long, and Thanks for All the Fish (1984), Douglas Adams
  • Thankyou.
  • xabirxabir Veteran

On the contrary, it is holding on to things that is a contrived. The feelings of loss and unwillingness to let go is precisely what needs to be let go of, as it is arising in the present and obscuring the space which is a mind of total relaxation that does not hold onto anything. And this practice, itself, is the practice of wisdom, because in letting go we become intimate with impermanence, which includes impermanence of our self in this moment.

Perhaps morality becomes an essential aspect of this path as in this process we see the interconnectedness of everything and compassion/ethical action naturally arises from this. There is no need to practice contrived morality and contrived meditation in the hope of arriving at some wisdom later on. It is all already present, the 8-Fold Path is followed in the here and now.

I am just exploring here, trying to make sense of it myself. I am starting to question the whole edifice of Buddhism, and being more drawn to teachers like Eckhart Tolle amnd Adyashanti. But perhaps the edifice is helpful. I don't profess to be able to do what I've written above, far from it..
    From my experience, letting go can eventually lead to a state of opening, but true "intimacy" with impermanence only happens when there is a non-dual experience where subject (a perceiver) and object collapses into a single experience - intensely brilliant and alive but no separation.

Such an experience, as I pointed out earlier, can still be a form of peak experience. It only becomes effortless as a result of realization or insight.

Therefore even though the practice of letting go and dropping is vital, there is also a need to contemplate and realize anatta directly as PrairieGhost mentioned.

On this aspect of insight, see stage 4 and 5 of http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

As for Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti and other Advaita teachers, they used to interest me very much and my entire path was aligned with that of advaita. I was reading mostly advaita books for a long period of time. But when I realized the deeper aspects of insights, my interest turned to Buddhism, as had Thusness. Nowadays I am reading Buddha's discourses which probably would not be of much interest and relevance to the old me who was still pursuing the advaita path then.

I am however not suggesting that advaita is no good or unimportant... As it can indeed be relevant and helpful (as it had for me) depending on our practice, and our practice changes according to our insights and understanding.
    edited June 2012

From my experience, letting go can eventually lead to a state of opening, but true "intimacy" with impermanence only happens when there is a non-dual experience where subject (a perceiver) and object collapses into a single experience - intensely brilliant and alive but no separation.

Such an experience, as I pointed out earlier, can still be a form of peak experience. It only becomes effortless as a result of realization or insight.

Therefore even though the practice of letting go and dropping is vital, there is also a need to contemplate and realize anatta directly as PrairieGhost mentioned.

On this aspect of insight, see stage 4 and 5 of http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

As for Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti and other Advaita teachers, they used to interest me very much and my entire path was aligned with that of advaita. I was reading mostly advaita books for a long period of time. But when I realized the deeper aspects of insights, my interest turned to Buddhism, as had Thusness. Nowadays I am reading Buddha's discourses which probably would not be of much interest and relevance to the old me who was still pursuing the advaita path then.

I am however not suggesting that advaita is no good or unimportant... As it can indeed be relevant and helpful (as it had for me) depending on our practice, and our practice changes according to our insights and understanding.
    @xabir,

A related question: do you think it is possible to follow a structured approach, say doing some meditations on specific topics (like Lamrim) or purification or visualisation practices and at the same time practice this simple path of being in the moment and accepting what arises? It would seem there is no need for the former, so for me there is a problem integrating the two, and as I get lost in structures and small details and frankly ridiculous-sounding stuff that has more to do with belief, I am drawn towards these neo-advaita teachers - the main reason being simplicity and also a certain positive emphasis (Self) rather then negative (suffering, emptiness etc). But from one point of view, even though we may have an insight into the ultimate truth, we still need to purify and do work on the relative. Psychologically, failure to do so might account for things like teachers' ethical scandals, where they may have a deep insight into emptiness, but their attachments and fixations remain untouched. The other point of view is that it's not necessary. What do you think? Does acceptance and realising impermanence is enough to get rid of those unskilful habits?

And which was the bit you mentioned where @PrairieGhost talks about directly realising anatta?
    edited June 2012
    Hi SattvaPaul

Actually, in my view, ultimately, realising anatta, emptiness, and so on, have nothing to do with it. Just more thoughts passing, assigning importance to themselves, letting themselves go. There's no difference between samsara and nibbana, except where it matters.

Thoughts were always just thoughts, rivers just rivers, mountains just mountains. The Tao Te Ching goes deeper than Buddhism in this final matter. Technical designations prepare us, but are ultimately anathema to unbinding, because the Tao is not an empty image or causal system, it is not an absence or an abundance; the Tao is a drunken sage dancing on a cliff edge above white water, the Tao is a studied diagram of a bird, that grows feathers and takes flight before turning to water and falling in a million mirrored raindrops on your upraised face. Sober objectivity is the final vanity of those not yet prepared to give their blood and wings and thirst to the great way.
    The valley spirit, undying
    Is called the Mystic Female

The gate of the Mystic Female
    Is called the root of Heaven and Earth

It flows continuously, barely perceptible
    Utilize it; it is never exhausted
    Look at it, it cannot be seen
    It is called colorless
    Listen to it, it cannot be heard
    It is called noiseless
    Reach for it, it cannot be held
    It is called formless
    These three cannot be completely unraveled
    So they are combined into one

Above it, not bright
    Below it, not dark
    Continuing endlessly, cannot be named
    It returns back into nothingness
    Thus it is called the form of the formless
    The image of the imageless
    This is called enigmatic
    Confront it, its front cannot be seen
    Follow it, its back cannot be seen
    The appearance of great virtue
    Follows only the Tao
    The Tao, as a thing
    Seems indistinct, seems unclear

So unclear, so indistinct
    Within it there is image
    So indistinct, so unclear
    Within it there is substance
    So deep, so profound
    Within it there is essence

Its essence is supremely real
    Within it there is faith
    From ancient times to the present
    Its name never departs
    To observe the source of all things
    How do I know the nature of the source?
    With this
    http://www.taoism.net/ttc/complete.htm

No essence exists, but the essence of The Tao is profoundly real.

We could search for knowledge of existence or non-existence till the end of time,
    and never admit in our hearts that the world is real, that there is no
    limit to what it asks from us, and that it offers us nothing in return.

Dare we accept this offer? It's the only one we'll get. It's the only one worth taking.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited June 2012

@xabir,

A related question: do you think it is possible to follow a structured approach, say doing some meditations on specific topics (like Lamrim) or purification or visualisation practices and at the same time practice this simple path of being in the moment and accepting what arises? It would seem there is no need for the former, so for me there is a problem integrating the two, and as I get lost in structures and small details and frankly ridiculous-sounding stuff that has more to do with belief, I am drawn towards these neo-advaita teachers - the main reason being simplicity and also a certain positive emphasis (Self) rather then negative (suffering, emptiness etc). But from one point of view, even though we may have an insight into the ultimate truth, we still need to purify and do work on the relative. Psychologically, failure to do so might account for things like teachers' ethical scandals, where they may have a deep insight into emptiness, but their attachments and fixations remain untouched. The other point of view is that it's not necessary. What do you think? Does acceptance and realising impermanence is enough to get rid of those unskilful habits?

And which was the bit you mentioned where @PrairieGhost talks about directly realising anatta?
    @SattvaPaul,

Sorry for the late reply - difficult to reply from camp as my only internet is phone on weekdays.

It is possible, but I myself am not very inclined to Lamrim or visualization practice. First of all I cannot comment on Lamrim as I do not know much about it, and I am not really good at visualization, not really drawn to that kind of practice.

My path has always been direct path, direct contemplation which leads to direct realization. More on my path in my e-book: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-e-booke-journal.html

Emptiness and no-self is only 'negative' when understood wrongly. The luminous clarity, presence, is not denied in emptiness or no-self but only correctly understood. It is a natural progression which leads to greater freedom and release.

If you are keen on advaita, as I used to, then I recommend practicing self-inquiry which is the path to direct self-realization. This is the path Ramana Maharshi took and teach, Ch'an Master Hsu Yun took and teach, many Zen masters took and teach, Eckhart Tolle took but didn't teach (even though self-inquiry led to his own realization, it is a puzzle he did not focus on teaching that), and Adyashanti took and teach.

My book dedicates a considerable portion to that practice.

Even self-realization however should not be understood as the 'end of the path'.

Lastly, habitual tendencies do get attenuated, reduced, and eventually eliminated. But it requires very deep realization and practice, not just a shallow awakening. We will notice that even after an initial awakening into no-self, karmic tendencies can still arise. The habitual latent tendencies are gradually removed through a combination of insight and tranquility in tandem. This is why the Buddha taught four stages of enlightenment, and do not lose diligence prior to complete liberation or think you have completed your path prematurely despite some insight or realization.

Four stages of enlightenment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_stages_of_enlightenment