Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Healing energy needed after shooting in Aurora, Colo.

ClayTheScribeClayTheScribe Veteran
edited July 2012 in General Banter
I imagine many of you have heard of the shootings at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado. I live not but a 10-15 minute drive from there. I was planning on going to a midnight showing last night, but not necessarily there, but who knows. Fate intervened and my car keys were stolen while working out last night, leaving me stranded at home.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask all of you if you could take time out in your schedule in the next day or two to pray for the victims, survivors and the assailant of the tragedy who are all suffering, perform tonglen and/or do metta meditation for them for at least 5-10 minutes. If you do reiki and can do distance healing, please send those to those suffering. They/we could use all the healing energy you can send our way.

For more information on the tragedy visit www.thedenverpost.com or www.9news.com.

Thank you.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Oh, Clay, you and I are not far apart...I live in Colorado Springs. I've been in Aurora a number of times.

My impression has been that Aurora is a pretty decent community.
  • That's so awful. We've had a few shootings in my city recently, it's been awful. I live in a great city, too, and not all of them have been in bad areas. Scary, horrible stuff.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    One of those victims had just been physically present at another infamous public shooting just the week before!
  • She was a journalism student at Metropolitan State University of Denver where I graduated from in 2009 from the journalism department. She even worked in the office of student media where I did for many years.
    What's kinda scary, Columbine is just sorta on the other side of Denver from Aurora.
  • There was a pretty major shooting at the Aurora Mall where the theater is exactly 7 years ago that summer I covered for the Rocky Mountain News as an intern but only a few people were killed.
    Interesting.
  • Horrible incident. Not only should we respect the deceased, we must also find it in our hearts to feel for the "killer". According to news reports the kid didn't talk to people, and kids at his college said they've never even seen him before; "it's like he didn't exist". This "killer" needed someone's attention, whether medically or socially; because he was left alone, this happened. Just another tragic reminder that we must be kind to everyone. And it's also a reminder to never expect anything to work out like you imagine.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2012
    May the pain of every living being
    Be completely cleared away.
    May I be the doctor and the medicine
    And may I be the nurse
    For all sick beings in the world
    Until everyone is healed...
    May the frightened cease to be afraid
    And those bound be freed.

--Buddhist prayer by Geshe Acharya Thubten Loden

Sending Love, Light, Blessings and Metta.

• Thank you all, My daughter works at that theater and was there last night working. She is fine, we are so grateful. So it is a very emotional time. Most of her friends have worked at this theater, many of my staff go to movies there, and the customers are a regular group so she will soon recognize victims as soon as photos are released. I found out at 3 am that there was a shooting however assumed it was a gang issue, one person, not sure what happened. My first time I heard about it I knew my daughter was okay but being transported to the high school with others. My best friend's son went to the movie despite his mom telling him no, and their last conversation was him saying he would take the consequences. He is fine, thank goodness, but still she found out he was there and that there was a shooting before she knew he was okay.

Right now my family is finally sleeping after being up a lot last night. We don't have any of herthings besides her phone (wallet and so on are in the theater). We are still calling and fielding calls to make sure everyone we know is okay. The people I thought might have gone are okay. I went to work and at least the kids didn't know about it or talk about it, but several of my staff found out my daughter was there working at the time. I can't tell you how many people were like Clay and planned on going but for some reason didn't.
  • There was a pretty major shooting at the Aurora Mall where the theater is exactly 7 years ago that summer I covered for the Rocky Mountain News as an intern but only a few people were killed.
    Clay, that was shortly after we moved back to this area. The theatre has uniformed police officers because of that but only friday through sunday. They also changed several things to address gang issues, for example the mall next door has strict rules about family evenings to discourage groups of teens, the groups of teens must be 4 or less or with parents. So compared to most movie theaters they have real security, and still this happened by the actions of one person.
  • I have been to that theater before because their ticket prices were so low. I was planning on going to the Colorado Center, but if they were sold out I might've gone to Century 16. I was pretty set on just seeing the movie when I woke up this morning or afternoon, but I guess divine intervention made sure I didn't even have the option to go last night.
  • Glad your daughter is ok @AMH
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Wow, this hits really close to home for a lot of you. :(
  • I want to say a big thank you to this site and all the members for being so clearheaded and mindful and compassionate. I went to another site I frequent and after the first post to send caring thoughts it immediately veered into a debate about gun laws. I actually posted something and said i was angry that instead of just caring and sharing that they used this incident for their own agendas on violence.

So to refocus, I appreciate all the care shown here and for the fires we have had. It is greatly appreciated by me and my family. My daughter is doing okay, she will meet with her coworkers tomorrow and of course cannot discuss anything. However the community , as @clay knows, is dealing with finding out who is affected and who is safe, as well as the evacuations necessary near the apartment.
  • The fact is we have no idea still why this guy did this or how he got the weapons or whether lack of weapons would have stopped him from trying something with more conventional means. I think we need to look at the emotional and mental conditions that allow this type of thing to arise, but we can't even do that until we have more information on the assailant. Until then all we can do is send out healing energy to all those affected.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ........all we can do is send out healing energy to all those affected.
    We added an additional string of prayer flags yesterday for everyone there.
    May all benefit from the prayers within them.

• Thank you,I know so many of us are going to be dealing for a long time. My family member who works there is on her way to thememorial close to the theatre with other people.
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    People go to movies to watch blood and gore. Looks like they ... well ...
  • People go to movies to watch blood and gore. Looks like they ... well ...
    I think your funny bone has a fracture.
  • Tradition Healing Chant:

Just as the soft rains fill the streams,
    pour into the rivers and join together in the oceans,
    so may the power of every moment of your goodness
    flow forth to awaken and heal all beings,
    Those here now, those gone before, those yet to come.

By the power of every moment of your goodness
    May your heart's wishes be soon fulfilled
    as completely shining as the bright full moon,
    as magically as by a wish-fulfilling gem.

By the power of every moment of your goodness
    May all dangers be averted and all disease be gone.
    May no obstacle come across your way.
    May you enjoy fulfillment and long life.

For all in whose heart dwells respect,
    who follow the wisdom and compassion, of the Way,
    May your life prosper in the four blessings
    of old age, beauty, happiness and strength.
  • ClayTheScribeClayTheScribe Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @betaboy and RebeccaS: None of this bickering on my thread. Take it elsewhere. You're Buddhists, act like it and be respectful to one another. Read the title of this thread and respect or don't post. Otherwise I'll ask the moderator close this one down. Thank you.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @ClayTheScribe, There's nothing blatantly inappropriate to moderate here (being a bit in bad taste doesn't count). If you see something you think is inappropriate, please flag it, and we'll take care of it as we find appropriate. Other than that, I'd suggest giving up the "my thread" view... threads once posted and contributed to belong to the entire forum, not to the person who started them, and we only shut down threads when there's no other good option.
  • Yes I sincerely apologize to @betaboy and @RebeccaS. I overreacted. I've just been more sensitive lately than I desire.
  • On a lighter note, I just earned 5 points with the Name Dropper Badge for all this: "Mentioning someone in a discussion (like this: @Name) is a great way to encourage dialog and let them know who you’re talking to. +5 points"

Apparently I can win something besides shame when I overreact...
  • Hey @claythescribe I understand, I have my moments during this of general stress. last night my kids just lost their tempers, too much time together with my daughter suddenly not working, maybe some stress over thinking about her being so close to where people were killed, in any case a full 8 oz of grated cheese went flying.

So today I am considering that I am telling my supervisors that i will carry my phone (on vibrate) at all times. I don't feel like being disconnected from my kids
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    let it fly @AMH... let it fly. you can clean it up later, and we'll try our best to help.
  • I've discerned the reason for my outlandish behavior was the food ingredient Red 40. I had some ice cream bars covered in a coating with that as an ingredient. It's the only thing that can explain such behavior because I'm not usually this mean. I apologize again. Lesson learned.
  • Hey @claythescribe I react to fructose and even a tiny bit of high fructose corn syrup. It is amazing what food sensitivities can do. generally i get a bit crabby but also the physical reaction is such that I lose about 5 lbs in 24 hours. That is probably TMI.
  • I'm overweight and if I had that reaction, I'd be downing 2 liters of Sprite all day haha. But yes I'm also very sensitive to HFCS or any corn syrup really so I try to avoid it as it makes me super anxious and shaky. If it's cooked in with food it's usually not quite that bad, but yeah a can of soda is a possible panic attack for me on certain days.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I lived in Denver for 11 months a few years back (I am from Australia and live back here now). A fine city full of fine people. I was lucky enough to meet a number of locals and spend quite a bit of time with them.

A few times I mentioned guns to these people and a number of them had either personally been involved in some conflict involving a gun (one couple had had their house robbed at gun point) or knew people who'd been shot (not killed though).

This shocked me no end! I don't know anyone in Australia who has ever really seen a gun (apart from farm kids maybe).

I love the USA and I think Americans are beautiful people. As a foreigner I just think it's really sad that this gun culture pervades your society. What other purpose than to kill or maim are the guns this guy used in the theatre? Why is a person able to buy them?
  • Well now the talk you hear from a lot of folks is that this tragedy would never have happened if more people in the theater were carrying guns. I really don't know if people having guns in a dark theater with a loud, violent movie with frequent gun shots heard would be a good idea.

I'm not pro-guns or pro-NRA and have never been, even before I was a Buddhist. But I think even if we got rid of all the guns in this society, we'd still have the societal, emotional and mental problems we do that probably led this young man to do this. Even with all guns gone, he probably would've made bombs and done even more damage, who knows. I don't care whether or not we get rid of guns, but there is a need for more love and care for each other in the world, not just here, but especially in the U.S., and so the less fear we have of and inside of each other, the fewer reasons we have to have a rabid gun culture or for people to feel the need to carry them or keep them in their house. I just wonder how much we are being protected by people having guns, per your anecdotes, Bunks.

I mean it's all about the Second Amendment which was instituted at a time in our history when there was a real threat of Britain coming back and trying to regain the country, so organized militias were important. But even that, I found out, was just something that came out of Pennsylvania for the militia there they thought would be good for the whole country. Even if we did have a tyrannical government (that could be debated right now), our citizens cannot go against the immense firepower of the United States military, not to mention the weapons they have we don't know about. So I think it's really a moot point people use to excuse their right to have a weapon to defend themselves against some enemy (aka their fellow human being) out of fear to give them the illusion of safety.

As I've learned in my life, there is no such thing as absolute safety. And it doesn't exist in the wild. The best we can hope for is to work toward a new foundation of love and peace in this world so you at least no longer fear one another or yourself. I didn't want this to get turned into a political discussion, but I might as well say it now and that's all I will say until I feel more comfortable when I know a lot more information.

Really for now to have disagreements about this is pointless because it's only been six days since it happened and we hardly know anything about Holmes, his intentions or how he got the guns and how it is part of a larger problem and what to do about it. Everything I just said is based on conjecture and everyone who is screaming at each other or Jesse Jackson coming to Aurora to the shooter's apartment to make a political point and be an opportunist could be wrong. The only thing we can do is ask questions, pray, meditate and send out healing energy to those who are suffering.
    I lived in Denver for 11 months a few years back (I am from Australia and live back here now). A fine city full of fine people. I was lucky enough to meet a number of locals and spend quite a bit of time with them.

A few times I mentioned guns to these people and a number of them had either personally been involved in some conflict involving a gun (one couple had had their house robbed at gun point) or knew people who'd been shot (not killed though).

This shocked me no end! I don't know anyone in Australia who has ever really seen a gun (apart from farm kids maybe).

I love the USA and I think Americans are beautiful people. As a foreigner I just think it's really sad that this gun culture pervades your society. What other purpose than to kill or maim are the guns this guy used in the theatre? Why is a person able to buy them?
    You're absolutely right. I now live in Colorado Springs -- about an hour's drive south of Denver -- and yesterday went out to lunch with a group (all of us seniors). At one point the conversation drifted to the movie shooting, and a couple of nice people in the group were insistent that if everyone were carrying guns, it wouldn't have happened, or would have gone down much differently. I can just imagine the shootout!

But gun control is pretty well dead in this country, and that's a shame.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited July 2012
    It's scary that some people think that more people carrying guns is the best answer. As Sabre said, the problem goes far deeper than simply access to guns. A bunch of people with little gun experience who have taken little more than a few hours of safety class, being able to conceal carry, is frightening. I took gun safety training when I was 12 years old. My son took it when he was 13. Access to guns, or even training about guns isn't really the issue. The issue is what leads so many people to think shooting up others is an answer to anything? Our culture and our society and the priorities are largely to blame. People determined to destroy will find ways to do it whether they can buy a gun or not.

Guns are a huge part of the culture of the area I live in. It's a very big hunting community. But people don't shoot each other. Lots of guns in the area, I could probably safely bet that 90% of households here have guns in them. We have them in our house. But they most certainly aren't accessible. Most of them were passed down through the family and belonged to my grandpa. I have never purchased a gun, nor most certainly would I ever purchase a gun thinking it made me feel safer. Having a barking dog is a better deterant.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Some very pertinent comments guys although I'm not sure I buy into the argument that he still could have done as much damage without guns as he did. An American friend of mine even tried to argue with me that he it wouldn't have mattered if it was guns or knives he had. You honestly think he could've killed 12 people and injured 58 with a knife!!!!! I don't think so.

I also think the media and parents must take some blame for this. We (and the media) have such a massive influence over our young people. Guns are glorified in movies, TV shows and video games. We need to be more aware of what our kids are being exposed to on a daily basis, especially in their very early years.

I have an older brother who has a 6 year old son and 2 year old daughter and I noticed recently he had the two year old propped up in a high chair in front of a violent reality show where a woman was assaulting a couple at a train station!

Sorry for ranting but this is something I am passionate about. We need to develop loving kindness and compassion in our kids and exposing them to violence at such a young age isn't going to help.

I guess I am preaching to the converted on this site though :-)
  • I get it, the conversation is starting even around here. First of all the shooter was wearing full body armor including having his head protected. So in this situation I am not sure that a police officer or trained military could have done much without hurting even more people.

I was very careful to monitor what my kids watched and their dad wasn't. As soon as we separated he showed them things I was not comfortable with at all. He never agreed with me before but I could at least stop it. I even tried asking my lawyer about making that part of the custody decision but anything short of neglect or abuse that you could call social services on was ok, including grandpa getting him a gun at 7. I asked so many people and there was nothing i could do unless the guns were accessible to my children.

It only takes a little influence and when the overall society is doign one thing I hate to say but it is really difficult. I hope my influence has done something for my kids an all the ones I work with.
  • I was playing hours of Mortal Kombat by the age of 7 and watching violent rated R movies by 11, not to mention hours of WWF, other fighting games and violent PG-13 movies like Jurassic Park and the early Batman movies. I know many with a similar upbringing who never even thought of committing acts of violence, largely because we were getting out our aggression with the video game. I'm not saying parents shouldn't monitor that, but more importantly, parents need to instill good values of how to conduct oneself, the importance of respect and courtesy, and a love for self and others over all else. Because you can sanitize everything they see, and protect them from anything violent and offensive and if those qualities aren't present in a child, you still have a recipe for destruction. I don't think it's so much the content of the mass media as the lack of love, equality and logic in American society that informs the media. So far, all the commentary I see from people is about gun control and the media, the same superficial issues that came up after Columbine and not much changed within our society. No one also talks about the violence committed and sanctioned by our own government to pursue its needs and the police state we have. Instead its complaints about fictional movies and TV shows. Stuff like this will continue to happen until we get our priorities straight and do something about the foundation of fear that pervades every aspect of our culture. But I understand that's really big, hard to change and it doesn't make for great political talking points or debate points on MSNBC or Fox News. So we'll focus on the superficial issues and argue about them long enough to ultimately do nothing meaningful until this tragedy is forgotten and we move onto another tragedy whose root causes we will not address.
    ...No one also talks about the violence committed and sanctioned by our own government to pursue its needs and the police state we have...
    You ought to get around more.

• ...No one also talks about the violence committed and sanctioned by our own government to pursue its needs and the police state we have...

Correction: not many Americans in the homeland talk often enough about how government violence might affect people's minds. I rarely hear it from people of any political persuasion. No, I do understand it's a big topic elsewhere in the world. And the American bubble is another factor contributing to our problems as well. So many people here lack perspective.
    edited July 2012
    ...No one also talks about the violence committed and sanctioned by our own government to pursue its needs and the police state we have...

Correction: not many Americans in the homeland talk often enough about how government violence might affect people's minds. I rarely hear it from people of any political persuasion. No, I do understand it's a big topic elsewhere in the world. And the American bubble is another factor contributing to our problems as well. So many people here lack perspective.
    I was actually commenting on your statement that this is a police state.

Having lived overseas and witnessed and experienced certain things, I can assure you, we are not a police state.

Also, keep in mind that all people in every country live in a bubble. For example, most Thais believe that one of the very most influential government leaders in the world is their King. There are books written about. I'm not questioning whether there King is impressive, but a person of the world would hardly put King Bhumipohl at the top rung of the ladder in terms of world influence.

I enjoy reading your posts! Often thought provoking!

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think a lot of it has to do with parents just not knowing their children. I have 3. One of them is extremely non-emotional because of his Asperger's. Certain things affect him very differently than they effect my very emotionally sensitive, affectionate, 9 year old. So, the rules were different when the oldest was 9, than they are for the one who is currently 9, and no doubt will be different for the 3 year old once he turns 9. You can't just raise kids 100% the same, it leads to discounting major parts of who they really are. What to one child is great independence, is to another child a loss of stability and security.

In the case of Holmes, yes, I think he could have done worse damage. He knew plenty about chemicals, he knew how to make rudimentary bombs and grenades, if guns were unavailable to him at all (and it seems he started the shooting with a hunting rifle which are incredibly easy to get) I don't think it would have prevented the act or the casualities. I think people such as him so set on destruction will just find other ways to destroy. The information is out there, very easily accessible if a person does just a little reading into how to do it.