Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Motivate me people

edited August 2012 in General Banter
After a another boring day , why shouldnt I buy a create of cold beer after work and a take away, naughty but nice right? My bodys not a temple , so why not just relax and enjoy the unhealthy lifestyle rather than waste time trying to fight it and be healthy.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Why indeed? If you don't see a reason why, then there's no reason why. It's your life. ;) Get that beer gut, spend all that money, have your liver shut down, screw up your relationships with other people, lose your job and your house. Well that's what might happen if you drink all the time... drinking in moderation wouldn't hurt.
  • Your spot on, shall Iget stella, thats a nice strong beer, and a large pizza to go with it , with fries mmmm im so hungary. Or shall I get jacobs creek........this is difficult :)
  • My body is a temple in the sense that I want to do things to keep it in decent shape.

I smoke and drink pretty regularly, but know that when I take anything too far, I usually feel out of whack and sluggish afterwards. When I do healthy things, I know that it helps me feel energetic and positive, which usually means that I can react to life's changes more calmly.

Simple causation stuff here.

You've got to motivate yourself though - no one will care as much about your body as you can care about your own. And you're the only one who can truly care for it with whichever actions you choose.
  • Yeah but heres the problem, BORDOM drives me to seek mindlessness, as reality is soooooo dam boring for 8 hours a day, 5 days per week. So i seek pleasure reward centre stimulation in my brain, via junk food and fizzy cold stuff ;)
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    What do you mean when you say you are bored? How exactly are you bored and with what?
  • Nothing to challenge me mentally , no stimulation, no targets............... no money.
  • I just hope your not my manager :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @ningjing1977, Write a book. Read a book. Meditate. Study Buddhist teachings or scriptures. Go bowling. Go fishing. Go anywhere. ;)
  • Ahhhhhhh I need to ORGANISE myself , i can do all those things, but i have to stay in torture until 5pm :) ROT at my desk.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

Nothing to challenge me mentally , no stimulation,

Really? This universe you are born into - this opportunity to observe it from this particular vantage point - knowing death started its journey to you with your first breath - before you even realised it was so - having this brief moment to experience the human condition in all its variety - the fortune to be living in a part of the world where you are able to live... this bores you? there is no challenge or stimulation in this experience?

Perhaps consider looking at it again, and again, and again.... you have a lifetime... if the most incredible facts of existence fail to grip you then how do you hope to be challenged or stimulated?

no targets............... no money.

Your job sounds unfulfilling to your current needs - work hard, look around - change to a job with targets and more money - sales is good - endless mountains of targets and if you hit them lots and lots of money.
  • So 2 things,
    * no one else isgoing to motivate you, been there many times
    * if youare bored, then you are boring (at least that is whatmy momtold us),

I did work on crochet at one job where I had to wait for customers a lot however
  • Im told im very convincing , but i love science too much for sales, i need a good r&d job, but i dont wanna get paid less, it seems, the better the job, as in more exciting and fun, the lower pay lol, boring old desk rubbish, pays more, but i get your point, i just like a good old winge now and then, and as my girlfriend is sick of me moaning, i can vent on here haha. few beer slater who knows what i might post :)
  • or....if im bored, my envoroment is boring lol, and before anyone says it, no i wont take up spelling lessons haha
  • ZeroZero Veteran

Im told im very convincing , but i love science too much for sales,

Medical sales - you're in the right part of the country for it - some big Pharma companies in your area.

the better the job, as in more exciting and fun, the lower pay lol,
    boring old desk rubbish, pays more, but i get your point,

Perhaps consider why it is that you are working - maybe the context of the whole will provide you with motivation - if your aim is 'exciting and fun' then where does 'pay' factor? Same visa versa...

Work out why it is that you are doing the things you do and you may better understand how best to do them - if you have an eye on where you are going, you have a better chance of arriving there or if not in seeing where you are going at least.

i just like a good old winge now and then, and as my girlfriend is sick of me moaning, i can vent on here haha.
    few beers later who knows what i might post :)

Whinging points to issues that you are uncomfortable with - you're seeking some form of reassurance from others - it can be a useful cue to show you areas to consider further - a path to silent self-soothing.

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    motivate yourself.

• Hi Ningjing-

I'm probably the worst (Buddhist) person to 'motivate' anyone else into meditation! :o

I used to meditate regularly. For many years, even before I was a declared 'Buddhist'.
    But for some reason, within the last 5-6 years, I just don't have the urge to do formal sitting/mediation. I find that when I 'force' myself to sit, it just feels ... well... forced.

I'm sure I could spend hours or days wondering, pondering and deciding why I feel this way; you know, what's different now than say 8 years ago when I meditated at least 3 times a week.... but why? What would be the point?
    I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I am not unhappy or confused. My life is still "Ok" and things are as "normal" as any other time. ::: shrugs::::

But I will say this, I find myself much more mindful much more often - all throughout the day - even though I no longer do actual sitting meditation. While I'm cleaning the house, or doing laundry, or walking the dogs, I am usually thinking about things in a mindful (and positive) way.
    If I do find myself thinking about a situation or person who causes me to be upset or confused, I continue on with my chores or activities, but I still think about it. I still analyze the upsetting or confusing situation in my mind, and then take a deep breath and allow the thoughts to fade into the background, no longer urgent. Sooner or later things become clearer and answers come to me with almost no effort at all.....

Not saying this can or should work for everyone, but it does work for me. Beats worrying about not doing formal sitting. Maybe it's just not the best way for you?
    Also remember, many Buddhists, (even some monks) do little or no formal sitting meditation on a regular basis.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Ahhhhhhh I need to ORGANISE myself , i can do all those things, but i have to stay in torture until 5pm :) ROT at my desk.
    It sounds like you need a different job.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Start a business and quit your job.
  • Zero im in medical, im sure your my manager playing games lol , purpoise your not wrong , ahhhhhhhh lets wash it all away with a few large cold ones lol, i talk crap when im bored dont i.
    Zero
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    In a couple of different threads now, and even more in this one, it has seemed to me that you want an outside source to tell you why you should be Buddhist.

I personally think that finding a faith system that matches a person can only be done by that person. Nobody can walk the walk except you the seeker.
    Ficus_religiosaandyrobyn
  • ningjing1977:
    Zero im in medical, im sure your my manager playing games lol , purpoise your not wrong , ahhhhhhhh lets wash it all away with a few large cold ones lol, i talk crap when im bored dont i.
    And I doubt you feel any better after spending hours in the throes of rejecting and trying to avert your boredom.
    vinlyn
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    See a therapist. I know, it's my answer for everything lol. But really, see a therapist.
    Ficus_religiosa
  • Beer tend to lower inhibitions promoting other naughty behaviors.
    vinlyn
  • It's your choice and only you can choose... what do you really want?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Spend a bit time studying the 4 noble truths. (It's a short read!)
    Does it make any sense to you?
    How does it apply to this situation?
    What do you think?
    Ficus_religiosa
  • Vinlyn you little stalker you lol , joking, I guess in a way I want someone to not tell me why I should be Buddhist, but more explain it to me, I can't match to anything if I don't know what it is. You naughty naughty man you, as brian bodande would say haha
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

After a another boring day , why shouldnt I buy a create of cold beer after work and a take away

Because wine tastes better and so does home barbecued marinated and glazed ribs ?

Cheers.
    See a therapist. I know, it's my answer for everything lol. But really, see a therapist.
    Meditation's a lot cheaper though :p
  • Nah he's in the UK. He can go for free!
  • For free lol more like £80 per hour . Your right about wine and ribs mmmmmm
  • No, the NHS have plenty of free services. You can go private if you like, but the whole 80 an hour can really put people off ;)
    No, the NHS have plenty of free services. You can go private if you like, but the whole 80 an hour can really put people off ;)
    It depends - a lot of GP surgeries have very long waiting lists for counselling ( or no counselling atall ) so people often end up going private.
  • After a another boring day , why shouldnt I buy a create of cold beer after work and a take away, naughty but nice right? My bodys not a temple , so why not just relax and enjoy the unhealthy lifestyle rather than waste time trying to fight it and be healthy.

I see nothing wrong with drinking, smoking, and having a little fun. Life, for most of us ordinary folks, is boring and mundane.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    You'll die someday soon. Hope that motivates you to do good practice!

Drinking is a way to get away from your problems, but will never solve them.
    RebeccaS
    You'll die someday soon.

:hair: :D
    RebeccaS
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    (soon as within 100 years or so :p )
  • You'll die someday soon.

:hair: :D

Lol I suddenly like tinned tuna ;)
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Your spot on, shall Iget stella, thats a nice strong beer, and a large pizza to go with it , with fries mmmm im so hungary. Or shall I get jacobs creek........this is difficult :)

My advice is to avoid Stella - when I lived in the UK I drank a lot of it one night and ran naked through my office staff party (I had only worked there 3 weeks and my female manager was still at the party!!)

They call it Stella-vision...

My advice is to avoid Stella -
    She's a naughty girl! :p
  • Now your just being Padantic lol