Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Skipping work on occasion?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited August 2012 in General Banter
Is it inherently wrong? I mean, there are some days where you just flat out don't want to deal with your workplace.

And in my case, my job is not my livelihood (it's for extra money while I'm in school) and a friend I haven't seen in two years is visiting town in a couple of days. Besides, Everyone's hours were cut anyway.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    This was an issue I had to deal with often when I was a principal. Not only did I have teachers taking "mental health days", but me too. In my school system, teachers and staff were given 1 day per month of sick leave plus 3 personal days per year. I got a little more because I worked a longer contract than the teachers.

I know most places don't have that kind of system, but to me it is legitimate.

However, the question really is what does your employer think of it? Are you putting your job at risk?

The only thing I will say, if I took a "mental health day", I stayed home, relaxed, watched some television, rested, etc. I didn't go out and "play". To me, that would have been illegitimate.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Many Zen Buddhists would see skipping work as potentially involving themselves in a number of preceptual breakages. It depends what you've contracted to do, are you being paid when you don't show up, what do you say to get out of going to work, are you working for yourself or for others?

Most obvious preceptual breakages would be- saying that which is not true,-stealing and- selling the wine of delusion but these can telescope out to involve other precepts.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    how said:

Many Zen Buddhists would see skipping work as potentially involving themselves in a number of preceptual breakages.
    Most obvious would be- saying that which is not true,-stealing and- selling the wine of delusion but these can telescope out to involve other precepts.

I think you make a good point. Is it a paid day off? That would make it skillful, or not.

• I agree.. if you are allowed to take days off like that, then it's ok.. if not, then you have a responsibility to show up.. Where I'm from, skipping without leave gives a warning, next time you're fired, usually.. because it shows that you are unreliable and illoyal
  • I can understand the above opinions.

Whether right or wrong I don't like taking days off, and it would have to be a very severe cold that is contagious that keeps me away. Reason being for me it's like going for a long jog; if you stop once, it's too easy to stop again, and again, until you just give up and stop running altogether; it becomes too hard to start up again.

So I would find the first work day after a day off difficult to front up.
    RebeccaS
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    DaftChris said:

Is it inherently wrong?

Right or wrong aside... if you're pondering it then you know there is an issue - everything's an issue.
    DaftChris said:

And in my case, my job is not my livelihood (it's for extra money while I'm in school) and a friend I haven't seen in two years is visiting town in a couple of days. Besides, Everyone's hours were cut anyway.

Enjoy your time with your friend - make sure you're not caught - life is short - I'm weighing up extra money jobs I had in school vs a couple of days with my friends back then... Jobs remain - friendship is a fruit best picked ripe!

This is not good advice - your coworkers will have to pick up the slack, you will have to lie, your manager will be stressed, the business may lose some money, you show lack of discipline, you risk losing your job... it's a long list.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I think I remember you saying that you work in retail, so I totally understand why you want a day off of that hampster wheel. The real trick is if you don't take or get the day off, how will you respond? Will you go into work with a furrowed brow and the attitude of "i don't want to be here today so i'm not going to do my job well"... or will you go in to work with the attitude of "i will be mindful and use today as another way to learn both about myself and about others"? .... retail is a hard job but due to its repetitive nature you might be able to work a mantra or two into the shift? or a breathing technique? and if you do get the day off, then have as much fun as possible!
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran

retail is a hard job but due to its repetitive nature you might be able to work a mantra or two into the shift? or a breathing technique? and if you do get the day off, then have as much fun as possible!

It is repetitive and, if I was on the floor I would my chances to reflect. However, I'm a cashier and we get no chances to do that. Except for maybe our lunch breaks, but my hours were cut on that day to where I won't get a lunch break.

• I believe if you are able to take the day off without getting into trouble then it's ok to do so. I know I have taken my kids out of school before for mental health days. This is usually when they've missed no school from illness and are about at mental stress point. Then I'll keep them home and we'll go to a museum or to the zoo or something. Somewhere they can earn but not be in such a structured situation.
  • I'll inform my boss on occasion that I'll take a "goof off" day, but I'll make sure that it is on a day that none of my responsibilities can't be made up or covered by someone else... I have built a trust with him, so it is never an issue.

If I was one to fake sick days, I doubt I would have built this trust to be able to call my "goof off" days as needed.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Not all world values cut it in the spiritual realm. The value of an excuse often just depends on where you want to live.
  • The value of an excuse often just depends on where you want to live.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I see no difference between an excuse and a lie. If someone is OK with being a dishonest person, then I guess it is OK, but don't expect others to be blind to it.
  • Life is too short to be married to your work. Regardless of how much you do or don't love your job, it's still your job, not your entire life. We *all* need a break now and then. The concept of the "mental health day" is **totally** valid as far as I'm concerned. Of course you have to be responsible and do what you're expected to do, but any employer or boss who expects you to be a mindless drone, at their beckon call 24/7 isn't much of a boss. I should practice what I preach :)