Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Did the Buddha really exist?

edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Is it necesary that we believe that he really existed? In my mind, the whole story seems to be a way to convince us of the vanity of existence, and thereby inspire us to seek spiritual truths through meditation. It reads like a moral story, insights and all.

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The historical evidence of his existance seems considerable. Very old inscriptions have been found in villages specifically saying the Buddha was there. Aside from that, the existing teachings seem to come from one person.

And in a way it is important, because the Buddha is the prime example of the possibilities that the Buddhist path has; for developing peace, wisdom and compassion.

But of course we can never prove it for 100%. And if you feel like you can practice without being sure, that's fine too.

With metta,
    Sabre
    Wisdom23
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @music -- It seems a pretty good bet that Gautama the Buddha actually existed, but that information plus a couple of bucks will get you a bus ride. So, whether you believe it or don't believe it, the observations and suggestions of Buddhism remain useful ... if you choose to use them.

Tales told about the dead are invariably skewed. Uncle Mort was really a good guy. Aunt Sarah loved her knitting. Cousin Harry was a war hero. And Gautama was ... well, whatever you choose to say he was. You're certainly right that Gautama's recollected life is frequently focused on his teachings. No one, as far as I know, focuses on the fact that he had to take a leak in the morning just like anyone else.

But the morality play of Gautama's life is only as useful and true as anyone chooses to make it. Same with Jesus. Same with Mohammed. Same with Uncle Mort. Find what is useful and then use it.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited August 2012
    genkaku said:

So, whether you believe it or don't believe it, the observations and suggestions of Buddhism remain useful ... if you choose to use them.

Good observation, and mine as well. Even if the historical Buddha never existed, the teachings attributed to him have held fast for 2600 years or so. They seem to have stood the test of time. Worst case scenario... following them makes you and the world a better place. Not too shabby, eh?
  • music said:

Is it necesary that we believe that he really existed?

I think absolutely not.

Not only is there no contemporary evidence for his existence (I may be wrong here?) there is no doctrinal needfor his existance.

Buddhism doesn't need Buddha in the way that christanity needs Jesus.

I think it is important to always remember that the Buddha was a man who discovered Dharma, had he not been born, someone else would have discovered Dharma.

What we do know is that someone discovered Dharma, and that is a gift to the world of more value than anything.

Namaste

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    the Buddha was a man who discovered Dharma, had he not been born, someone else would have discovered Dharma.
    @thickpaper -- And if you credit Buddhism's tales, there were innumerable Buddhas who preceded Gautama.
  • genkaku said:

the Buddha was a man who discovered Dharma, had he not been born, someone else would have discovered Dharma.
    @thickpaper -- And if you credit Buddhism's tales, there were innumerable Buddhas who preceded Gautama.

I don't credit that, at all:) Though respect that other Buddhists do.