Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does evolution upset your faith?

edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Whether your religion is Buddhism or Christianity or whatever else, does the theory of evolution make you wonder whether any of this is real? The fact that we are apes and evolved from fish ... this is so disconnected from concepts like nirvana etc.

Comments

• I'm inhabiting a body. That body was designed over eons by biological processes. I don't see a conflict at all, and it seems odd that people try to create conflict where there need be none.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I don't find any disconnect between Buddhism and evolution. The way I see it is that the continuum of our physical body (evolution) is not the same as the continuum of our immaterial mind which continues from life to life and thus from body to body.

I suppose if one comes at it from a purely physicalist approach the concept of nirvana would lose some of its impact, but there are plenty of Buddhists who don't accept an immaterial aspect to ourselves that are still strong practicioners.

Maybe you could explain better where you see a conflict or why the idea of evolution bothers you in regards to Buddhism?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Evolution actually fits quite well in Buddhism. It certainly doesn't conflict with Buddhist teachings.

Life arises, clings to itself and is reborn, adapts, becomes more complex, becomes sentient, suffers from its grasping, seeks a way out of suffering, discovers the empty nature of its existence, lets go.

So in this way all life that arises heads toward Nirvana.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    music said:

does the theory of evolution make you wonder whether any of this is real?
    The fact that we are apes and evolved from fish ... this is so disconnected from concepts like nirvana etc.

They're both theories.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2012
    No. not at all. In my opinion, the theory of evolution is entirely compatible with Buddhism in the sense that Buddhism acknowledges change, and doesn't hold the belief (as some mistakenly assume) that everything, including the changes in inherited traits of species through successive generations, is caused by kamma. Moreover, I see Buddhism as dealing exclusively with mental stress and its cessation (i.e., psychology), and not biology, physics, etc. You can find more of my thoughts about Buddhism and evolution here if you're interested.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    music said:

Whether your religion is Buddhism or Christianity or whatever else, does the theory of evolution make you wonder whether any of this is real? The fact that we are apes and evolved from fish ... this is so disconnected from concepts like nirvana etc.

Just for the record, evolutionary theory does not say we are apes.

Zero said:

music said:

The fact that we are apes and evolved from fish ... this is so disconnected from concepts like nirvana etc.

They're both theories.
    Sorry @Zero I usually find myself agreeing with you but I have to pick a nit here. A theory in science means explanation and is the highest rung on the ladder while facts are at the bottom. Your use refers more to the common usage of theory, as in a type of guess or hunch.

Maybe you do know the difference but with the attack on science and evolution here in the US I make it a point to make this distinction.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry101/a/lawtheory.htm
    person said:

Sorry @Zero I usually find myself agreeing with you but I have to pick a nit here. A theory in science means explanation and is the highest rung on the ladder while facts are at the bottom. Your use refers more to the common usage of theory, as in a type of guess or hunch.

Maybe you do know the difference but with the attack on science and evolution here in the US I make it a point to make this distinction.

>

No, facts are not at the bottom of the scientific world. They are the basis for theories.

vinlyn said:

person said:

>

No, facts are not at the bottom of the scientific world. They are the basis for theories.

By bottom I don't mean unimportant. The foundation of a house is also at the bottom.

My point is that in everyday usage people tend to look to facts to back up an argument but often a single fact can be interpreted in different ways. A fact is another way to describe observation. An observation comes first and then an hypothesis is formed to try to understand that observation. With enough confirmed hypotheses a Law or a Theory can be formed.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @person - no apology necessary - it's good to discuss! :)

I meant they're both guesstimates in their field.
    @person - no apology necessary - it's good to discuss! :)

I meant they're both guesstimates in their field.
    That was the point of my post though, to point out that the Theory of evolution isn't a guesstimate.
    @person, I don't personally think that evolution really is a theory any longer. Darwin's version of evolution was a theory when proposed, and, of course, was somewhat flawed. Of course, we still don't know all the twists and turns of evolution, which is why I guess quite a few people still want to call it a theory.

I still disagree with your interpretation of the importance or lack of importance of facts.
    RebeccaS
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    person said:

That was the point of my post though, to point out that the Theory of evolution isn't a guesstimate.

It works locally.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Zero said:

music said:

They're both theories.
    Science uses the word 'theory' in a different way to our everyday use of the word. Evolution is a fact - scientists may argue over the small print - but within the past decade, all the pieces of the zigsaw puzzle have been found, from tectonic plate movements to the study of the human genome.

The only people who seriously rubbish Evolution are people that hold certain religious beliefs.

RebeccaS
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I'm not advocating rubbishing evolution - just acknowledging the undelying uncertainty
    @person, I don't personally think that evolution really is a theory any longer. Darwin's version of evolution was a theory when proposed, and, of course, was somewhat flawed. Of course, we still don't know all the twists and turns of evolution, which is why I guess quite a few people still want to call it a theory.

I still disagree with your interpretation of the importance or lack of importance of facts.
    Its absolutely a theory. A theory in science is much different than it is in common usage.

If you didn't follow my link from before, there is a relatively brief explanation of the scientific usage, as well as hypothesis and law.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry101/a/lawtheory.htm
  • SephSeph Veteran
    music said:

Absolutely not.
    Although I wholely accept evolution I also keep in mind that evolution is itself is just a theory, and in fact - ultimately - a belief.
    @person, I have 2 college degrees in the sciences. I don't need to read a sophomoric definition of the word theory.

I specialized in invertebrate paleontology, particularly of the Cambrian through Devonian Periods of the Paleozoic Era, concentrating on species found in the fossil-rich sedimentary rocks of western New York State. Whether it was brachiopods, rugose (or other) corals, or trilobites, I've seen far too many traceable sequences of evolution to have even the slightest belief that the concept of evolution is ever going to be disproved.

The problem that some like to seize upon (particularly in regard to hominid genera) is that every path of evolution is not filled in and therefore fully understood. So they tend to point to the "missing links" as the "Aha! See! It's not proven!" moments.
    robot
    @vinlyn Everything you say about your understanding sounds right to me and seems to fall within what is considered a scientific theory. When I google "what is a theory in science" all the links seem to be making a distinction between the common usage of a hunch and the more technical scientific usage and how can anyone challenge the almighty google. ;)
  • I have two questions.

Please explain why that if the mind in its primordial essence is pure how does it become stained with defilements if the “origin” is non-birth anyway?

Why are we seeing a decrease in life forms, and not an increase? It appears that things are degrading.
    I have two questions.

Please explain why that if the mind in its primordial essence is pure how does it become stained with defilements if the “origin” is non-birth anyway?
    The short, traditional answer is that the stains are without beginning, so there is never any moment of "becoming" stained.
  • @person

But there is an end or cessation?
  • Jason said:

No. not at all. In my opinion, the theory of evolution is entirely compatible with Buddhism in the sense that Buddhism acknowledges change, and doesn't hold the belief (as some mistakenly assume) that everything, including the changes in inherited traits of species through successive generations, is caused by kamma. Moreover, I see Buddhism as dealing exclusively with mental stress and its cessation (i.e., psychology), and not biology, physics, etc. You can find more of my thoughts about Buddhism and evolution here if you're interested.

Yes, this is what I mean. Stress, sorrow, loneliness etc. are quite recent if we consider billions of years of evolution. Stress and the rest wouldn't apply to an earlier period or species.
  • vinlyn said:

music said:

I assumed hominidae, like gorillas and humans, were all lumped together as 'apes'. Looks like I was wrong. Sorry about that.
  • Silouan said:

I have two questions.

Why are we seeing a decrease in life forms, and not an increase? It appears that things are degrading.

1) I've never heard of any pure, primordial essence of mind - can you elaborate?

2) The obvious Buddhist answer to this is: In this world maybe. What about other worlds? There, there could be increases.
    On a more general note, the human view of things aren't always true, precise or in a larger perspective. Pre-history is full of mass extinctions, rough nature and all kinds of "degrading". Life (or karma!) always finds a way, tough :)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Although I wholely accept evolution I also keep in mind that evolution is itself is just a theory, and in fact - ultimately - a belief.
    But the evidence for evolution is now overwhelming. While the evidence for creationism is non-existent.
    @person

But there is an end or cessation?
    Yes, like if you were endlessly going around in a circle and then stepped off. Bertrand Russell said "There is no reason to suppose the world had a beginning at all. The idea that things have a beginning is due to the poverty of our imaginations."

Buddhism argues for causality, logically if everything arises due to a previous cause then you can't posit a first cause. Most religions say its due to a creator but this isn't the Buddhist view or the scientific one.

This topic isn't what this thread is really about, if you want more I'd suggest starting a new thread in order to keep this one on track.
  • SephSeph Veteran

But the evidence for evolution is now overwhelming. While the evidence for creationism is non-existent.

I'm not arguing in favour of Creationism, and I agree with you. The 'evidence' for creationism is as good as non-existent. (At least I've never heard enough of an argument to sway me. But I have heard enough for a fantasy or sci-fi book!)

As far as evolution and its evidence as being overwhelming. Let me just say that a collection of facts does not necessarily create a specific truth. (It is possible these facts could fit another and better truth).
    I attempt to keep myself grounded by reminding myself of that. Like I said, although I hold onto the belief in Evolution, I leave enough sober room for doubt too. Otherwise I become two things that I hate and dread.
    1) Close-minded, and 2) a hidden fundamentalist.
    music said:

vinlyn said:

music said:

I assumed hominidae, like gorillas and humans, were all lumped together as 'apes'. Looks like I was wrong. Sorry about that.
    What is said that apes and man came from some common ancestor.

But don't worry, I'm not going ape-shit over it!

• @Person

I think it very much is related, but you are right. Perhaps an new three should be started. :)
  • edited August 2012
    Evolution is a theory but it's a scientific theory. When I was younger I thought it sounded ridiculous. I became more understanding of it of course as time went on, but following Buddhism actually revealed the truth of evolutionary to me. Therefore I don't find it contradictory at all, rather I actually attribute evolutionary theory largely to the Dharma.

The idea that humans are apes, on the other hand, or any type of animal, has always seemed absurd, ridiculous, and furthermore untruthful and un-Buddhistic to me. I also don't think that some animal species of some apelike nature "evolved" into human beings. Unlike evolution, this isn't a true scientific theory, it's merely a hypothesis. Let's keep the two apart from one another.

In summation, I'm confident that human beings are responsible for the creation of life. The closeness or relatedness of the evolution or primates and homo sapiens is relevant to this notion, but it is not critical.

The idea that humans are apes, on the other hand, or any type of animal, has always seemed absurd, ridiculous, and furthermore untruthful and un-Buddhistic to me. I also don't think that some animal species of some apelike nature "evolved" into human beings. Unlike evolution, this isn't a true scientific theory, it's merely a hypothesis. Let's keep the two apart from one another.

At the most basic level, evolution does not say that humans are apes. What it says is that humans and apes evolved from some common ancestor.

• vinlyn said:

At the most basic level, evolution does not say that humans are apes. What it says is that humans and apes evolved from some common ancestor.

Yes that's true. What I'm saying is that I don't think that "human-beings" evolved from any animal per say, regardless of how related our evolutionary history may be. In the ape theory there is a genetic line which on the one hand stems into apes, and on the other hand stems into human beings. I don't think such a line could come from any animal ancestor per say. However I have no concrete hypotheses to counter it. And don't care to because the evidence is just not there in any case.
    Well, there actually is plenty of evidence.

But do you think that your dislike of the concept is because you want to place humans on a wholly different plane than all other life?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @son_of_dhamma, Forget evolution... why are humans not animals? This is kinda like saying there's a lion and a fish, and the lion isn't an animal (and the fish is) because it seems so much more complex than the fish. ;) Humans seem to be animals that are more complex than other animals. More intelligent, greater memory (though apes can remember perfectly in short-term where we can mostly not), more complex communication (though animals have differing methods of communication), and self-awareness (though some other animals do possess self-awareness).

There's actually nothing to suggest we aren't animals, other than religious doctrines. It doesn't matter where we came from, this is just looking at it now. There's a great deal of variety in the animal kingdom, and we seem to be the most complex... that doesn't somehow disconnect us from the rest or make us something else.
    vinlynperson
  • We're clearly animals. Just look at the human brain. Look inside your mouth at your teeth. We clearly came from animals. We have animal brains and animal bodies. Animals, all of us.
  • Cloud said:

@son_of_dhamma, Forget evolution... why are humans not animals? This is kinda like saying there's a lion and a fish, and the lion isn't an animal (and the fish is) because it seems so much more complex than the fish. ;) Humans seem to be animals that are more complex than other animals. More intelligent, greater memory (though apes can remember perfectly in short-term where we can mostly not), more complex communication (though animals have differing methods of communication), and self-awareness (though some other animals do possess self-awareness).

The question of the amount of complexity of the human and the animal or any other animal is irrelevant to my view. Complexity is not what puts humans in our own realm. That is all biological perspective--which is good and I have always studied it. But cosmically it isn't integral to the existence of either "animal" or "human." I'm moving away from the biological context and speaking of existentialism. Humans are separate from animals, as sentient beings, as much as devas and hell-beings. We might biologically be exactly similar to animals. But not existentially, this is evident to those who practice mindfulness and contemplate human and animal nature.

This is what I mean by animal and human. And the true human existence, I think, didn't come from any animal alone, not directly. My notion against ape-human ancestry is based on the inclination that a species evolved into apes and then distinctly evolved into humans. It's a way of thinking that leads to a hypothesis based on evidence. But really there is no foundation for a full on proven scientific theory for this hypothesis.

Unlike evolution, which pretty much can't be refuted scientifically or otherwise.
    Cloud
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I dunno. There's as much difference between the lion and the fish as between us and the lion, but that's not somehow making any of them "not animals". That's just saying there is a difference. Isn't that enough? Do we have to somehow elevate ourselves to "not animal" also? Like I said forget about evolution, that doesn't even factor into this particular question.

Actually just nevermind, this is too funny to talk about. I can understand people wanting to be something other than animals, and the religious perspective, but not making an "existential" difference have actual weight to it. That's all in our heads, our very complex animal heads. :D
  • Cloud said:

I dunno. There's as much difference between the lion and the fish as between us and the lion, but that's not somehow making any of them "not animals". That's just saying there is a difference. Isn't that enough? Do we have to somehow elevate ourselves to "not animal" also? Like I said forget about evolution, that doesn't even factor into this particular question.

No, we don't. We already live in our own realm. From very defiled humans to very miraculous humans, all of them occupy the same realm, one that is not animalistic, but human. Disregarding evolution--are we animals? Sure. Are we human? Yes. But animals, none of them, dwell in the same existential realm as us.

This is a Buddhist view that goes all the way back to the beginning. I'm not sure why I sound so strange.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @son_of_dhamma, The lion has its own cat realm too, one much different from a fish. The only reason that "human realm" is spelled out is to indicate a human existence, or having the equal capacity for suffering and happiness, and having the ability to go beyond them. It doesn't make us actually not animals. That's all I'm going to say, carry on. :D
    RebeccaSperson
  • Cloud said:

@son_of_dhamma, The lion has its own cat realm too, one much different from a fish. The only reason that "human realm" is spelled out is to indicate a human existence, or having the equal capacity for suffering and happiness, and having the ability to go beyond them. It doesn't make us actually not animals. That's all I'm going to say, carry on. :D

And, that's all I was saying. But elaborately.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    music said:

No, because this Buddhist faith tells me to believe that this body is "not me, not mine". So it does not really matter where it came from or didn't come from. What really matters is how to be rid of this idea that "this is me, this is mine". With regards to this, evolution/not-evolution becomes irrelevant.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Cloud said:

The question of the amount of complexity of the human and the animal or any other animal is irrelevant to my view. Complexity is not what puts humans in our own realm. That is all biological perspective--which is good and I have always studied it. But cosmically it isn't integral to the existence of either "animal" or "human." I'm moving away from the biological context and speaking of existentialism.
    Personally, I don't think these ideas are mutually exclusive. From the Buddhist point of view, humans are in their own realm or category primarily due to their more developed mental faculties. In fact, that's precisely the definition of the Pali term denoting humans, manussa, which means 'those who have an uplifted or developed mind' (mano ussannam etesam). And the way I see it, Buddhism's focus is on the skillful use of those faculties, whereas the theory of evolution attempts to map out how those developed faculties, along with our species in general, came to be. So while neither is needed for the other; they're not necessarily at odds, either.
    Cloudperson
  • Evolution actually fits quite well in Buddhism. It certainly doesn't conflict with Buddhist teachings.

Life arises, clings to itself and is reborn, adapts, becomes more complex, becomes sentient, suffers from its grasping, seeks a way out of suffering, discovers the empty nature of its existence, lets go.

So in this way all life that arises heads toward Nirvana.
    Doesn't jive with Buddhist realms, if nothing else.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Rujin, Sure it does, why not? Even if a dove causes birth of a hell-being, if the dove passed on its genetics (and natural selection is also at work) there will still be evolution for whatever new doves come after. It's not like there needs to be some "self" connecting the doves of the past, present and future for them to evolve. It's not a self that's evolving, but conditioned phenomena. In other words the conditions are changing (nothing more or less than this).

It is a species moving toward sentience, toward self-awareness, that is a move toward Nirvana because it is inevitably these higher forms of consciousness (such as found in humans) that are able to perceive suffering's origin and its cessation. However the working out of a strand of karma, it will also inevitably lead to being bound to such a higher form of consciousness that can penetrate the nature of its existence and let go of craving. The evolution of species, and the move toward Nirvana, are intertwined like this.
  • @cloud, cannot say with any authority that the Human Realm, for instance, did or did not exist before Humans existed. Cannot say with any authority that the Hell Realm, for another example, did or did not exist before Humans existed.
  • Upset your faith?
  • Jason said:

Cloud said:

The question of the amount of complexity of the human and the animal or any other animal is irrelevant to my view. Complexity is not what puts humans in our own realm. That is all biological perspective--which is good and I have always studied it. But cosmically it isn't integral to the existence of either "animal" or "human." I'm moving away from the biological context and speaking of existentialism.
    Personally, I don't think these ideas are mutually exclusive. From the Buddhist point of view, humans are in their own realm or category primarily due to their more developed mental faculties. In fact, that's precisely the definition of the Pali term denoting humans, manussa, which means 'those who have an uplifted or developed mind' (mano ussannam etesam). And the way I see it, Buddhism's focus is on the skillful use of those faculties, whereas the theory of evolution attempts to map out how those developed faculties, along with our species in general, came to be. So while neither is needed for the other; they're not necessarily at odds, either.

you're right.