Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Muslims damaging Buddha statue in India

TandaTanda Explorer
edited August 2012 in General Banter
http://yfrog.com/z/hsu7kfoj
This happened on 17Th Aug. The provocation is,as they claimed was attack on Muslims in Burma and Assam,In India Truth is morphed and fake pics muslims being attacked were spread among muslims.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    This is just a picture not an article... no information other than what little you provided. What's the purpose in sharing this?
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    just wanted to point out that one could just as easily say "humans do X" because we are all humans .. why make distinctions based on religious labels?
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    @Cloud. The newspaper article has been blacked out by either Indian government or under its orders. The pic is from social networking sites which shared the link to article before it was deleted
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    All things, including statues, are impermanent. The same thing happened in Afghanistan:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/archaeology/2001-03-22-afghan-buddhas.htm
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    @sova. Living India, religious labels matter a lot. Though India is supposed to be secular, The secularism come to mean vote bank politics with the congress govt siding with Muslims for the sake of votes.

Perhaps many people know that Afganistan was once place where Buddhism flourished. There,a huge Buddhist statue carve on the mountain side had been blasted with support of Pakistan and Saudi support.

The point is, -- I have made a post elsewhere some time back-- that it is difficult Buddhism to survive in a world non violences is a non-negotiable virtue; Buddhists, mostly do not engage in trade or commerce,unlike Jains. Hence Buddhism and Biddhists easily become vulnerable, as it is happening in Tibet.

Hindus, who share many ideals of Buddhism also are under similar threat from Muslims, some of whom believe that that religion sanctifies killing Muslims.

My Buddhist learnings/leanings-- whatever little I have--gets challenged by this scenario.

At a personal level my values not only fail to find takers in this market but I also seem to be a loser because I do not play the game the way they do.

That is nagging me.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    it obviously is....

it's an attachment which seems to be pinning you down in one specific view....
  • Let's be fair, the sectarian violence between competing populations that use religion to define what side they're on bothers many of us. On the one hand, it's not a new development at all. Rulers throughout history aligned themselves with one religion over another and temples were closed and religions even outright banned at the whim of the King or Emporer or conquering nation. Buddhism was almost abolished completely in the land of its origin because of this.

On the other hand, when Buddhists are in power such as Thailand or pre-Chinese Tibet, they've shown no greater enlightenment as a nation or willingness to tolerate other ethnic groups than anyone else. Makes one stop to ponder at times.
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    @Cinorjer Buddhisim was not 'abolished'in India, and certainly not by any king. My personal theory-- and I posted that in this pages earlier-- is that Buddhism thinned down for want of economic support because bikkus depended on charity. But Jains have taken to trade and commerce on those lines that were not in conflict with their principles.

Both Buddhism and Jainism spread far and wide down to south India and there are several ancient Tamil literary references to show this. Rulers alternately converted and reconverted but there is no reference of Buddhism being abolished, not to my knowledge.

But one point remains valid. Without political support, call it KING or call it,(as Indian PM Manmohan sigh says,COALITION DHARMA ) Democratic compulsions the noblest virtue does not have a chance of survival,

That holds good for the situation at a personal level too.
    So I continue to have nagging thoughts.

Thanks for responses to my post, Cloud, Sova, Tosh Federica, and Cinorjer
    Tosh
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The Religion of peace strikes again.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    caznamyaw said:

Are you aware of the Buddhists in Burma who are attacking and murdering Muslims? Please try to be a little balanced.

vinlyn said:

caznamyaw said:

Are you aware of the Buddhists in Burma who are attacking and murdering Muslims? Please try to be a little balanced.

Yes I am aware and I thoroughly condemn it.
    ^^ Cool.
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    @Vinlyn There is a difference, If Hindus resort to violence, which rarely happens, fellow Hindus condemn it.At time it may be justified but that is not the default response. There had been attacks on Hindus in US too (remember dot busters?) In Malasiya, Hindu temples were destroyed. But the protest response was rational,civil and sanely displayed.

But how the can Indian Muslims react to anything that happened in Burma just on religious grounds,that too by resorting to violence and vandalism of damaging Buddhist statues?

I feel Buddhist ides of tolerance and compassion must be practised only at individual level. At state level the rulers have certain responsibilities; if necessary they must be ruthless.

Tanda said:

@Vinlyn There is a difference, If Hindus resort to violence, which rarely happens, fellow Hindus condemn it.At time it may be justified but that is not the default response. There had been attacks on Hindus in US too (remember dot busters?) In Malasiya, Hindu temples were destroyed. But the protest response was rational,civil and sanely displayed.

But how the can Indian Muslims react to anything that happened in Burma just on religious grounds,that too by resorting to violence and vandalism of damaging Buddhist statues?

I feel Buddhist ides of tolerance and compassion must be practised only at individual level. At state level the rulers have certain responsibilities; if necessary they must be ruthless.

All I'm saying is that if we are going to blame Muslims when they are violent, we must also blame Buddhists when they are violent. We can't overlook inappropriate actions by Buddhists just because we are Buddhist.

MaryAnne
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    This is the story of the huge Buddha statues in Afghanistan, as told by Al Jazeera English:
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Cloud said:

This is just a picture not an article... no information other than what little you provided. What's the purpose in sharing this?

Perhaps this is the article?

Miscreants trying to provoke conflict between Buddhists & Muslims
    Scoop News, August 15, 2012

Dharamsala/Jammu, India -- The Central Tibetan Administration based in Dharamsala deeply disturbed and concerned over the circulation of a misleading photograph in some section of the media showing Tibetan monks in their reports on the recent violence in Myanmar involving Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims, said in a statement issued from Dharamsala.

Statement said that a photograph of Tibetan monks standing in front of a pile of dead bodies appeared in many websites in the Muslim countries, especially Pakistan. This photo of Tibetan monks was actually taken during their relief work in Kyegudo (Yushul), eastern Tibet, after a devastating earthquake hit the region on 14 April 2010. The Tibetan monks extended remarkable service in the rescue and relief operations at the time.

The relevant department of the Central Tibetan Administration wrote a letter to a website in Pakistan (ColumPk.com, Urdu Current Affairs Portal) on 30 July to remove the photo from its website, which it did so the next day. But the photo is still in circulation, as some Muslims carrying the photo during their recent protest in Mumbai on 11 August 2012, appeared in Zee News, a leading news channel in India.

Statement appeals to the media across the world not to use this photo, which is being circulated by miscreants to provoke conflict between the Buddhist and Muslim communities.

• SileSile Veteran
    It's quite hypocritical of Pakistan to side with the Chinese government on these issues, given the CCP's horrific treatment of Uyghur Muslims.
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    @BonsaiDoug No The pic is that of Muslims vandalising Buddha statue in Lucknow, India. The article appeared in Local news papers in India but is blacked out, possibly on orders from Indian Government.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Two of the articles in question:

The original picture of "murderous monks" before it was removed: http://jihadonbuddhists.org/?p=69 [warning: graphic]

The riot in Lucknow: http://www.jihadwatch.org/2012/08/india-muslim-mob-misunderstands-islam-after-friday-prayers-targeting-media-torching-vehicles-and-bea.html
    The Religion of peace strikes again :(

Such a shame.
  • SileSile Veteran
    caznamyaw said:

Such a shame.

What do you mean, @caznamyaw?

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Sile said:

caznamyaw said:

Such a shame.

It's sarcasm.
    The religion of peace is a political neologism used as a description of Islam.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_of_Peace

Yet some Muslims don't seem very peaceful.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Ah, thanks. Sorry.
    Tosh said:

Thank you for being realistic and fair.

Tosh said:

Sile said:

caznamyaw said:

Such a shame.

It's sarcasm.
    The religion of peace is a political neologism used as a description of Islam.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_of_Peace

I wonder why ? Violence has always been an innate part of Islam since its inception, Of course there are many Muslims around the world who do not openly advocate the use of violence but it is undeniably used in the Islamic world and is justified by their founder Muhammad and the Quran.

It is exceptionally unfortunate as we march into the 21st century some people are still living in the dark ages where they think it is acceptable to harm others because of their religious belief, All this was sparked by the abominable treatment of Muslims in Burma which any right minded Buddhist would thoroughly condemn. Unfortunately this has given fuel to some Muslims in order to act out the orders of the Quran in dealing with Non believers.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    When I see these things occur; people fighting over rocks because a holy person once stood on them; the quickness to kill and die for them has alway's astounded me. Why to people who claim knowledge, so quick to kill over a rock? Why place so much worship on a rock, that the need is so great that death will come from it? Isn't the role example, and teachings of the holy person more important then what he/she stood on?
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Burma problem is more ethnic that religious, that and the regime promoting Buddhism like nationalism thing. Is a shame that Buddhists and Muslims get involved in that. Is shame that people get involved in that :(
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    caz said:

Violence has always been an innate part of Islam since its inception, Of course there are many Muslims around the world who do not openly advocate the use of violence but it is undeniably used in the Islamic world and is justified by their founder Muhammad and the Quran.

:shake:
  • Cinorjer said:

Let's be fair, the sectarian violence between competing populations that use religion to define what side they're on bothers many of us. On the one hand, it's not a new development at all. Rulers throughout history aligned themselves with one religion over another and temples were closed and religions even outright banned at the whim of the King or Emporer or conquering nation. Buddhism was almost abolished completely in the land of its origin because of this.

On the other hand, when Buddhists are in power such as Thailand or pre-Chinese Tibet, they've shown no greater enlightenment as a nation or willingness to tolerate other ethnic groups than anyone else. Makes one stop to ponder at times.

To be fair, we probably must see if it is really the Buddhists who are in power.