Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dealing with hate

LostLightLostLight Veteran
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Today
I'm a firm believer that music isn't as terrible of a thing as the Buddha saw it back in the day. I think that the idea of music has changed dramatically since his time; from a luxury for the rich to meaningful expressions of the mind that help others who may be lost. That's at least my view. When I hear something that really catches my ear I lose all thoughts and my sense of self as well (yes I can't drive unless I listen to old stuff I've heard a million times). I know so many people it's helped through hard times, and even though mainstream does absolutely nothing, the less popular gems are pretty beautiful. (you can dispute the validity/vanity of music too)

To the heart of the matter, in the music industry all I see/hear is hate. People claim the music they like is the best thing in the world and everything they don't like is garbage. People bash others and basically make themselves out to be music gods. I end up talking to such hateful people and even though I respond with acceptance and kindness, at the end of the day I feel sort of sick. Being around such hate just physically makes me sick; I don't know else to put it.

Do you guys have any suggestions to not let hate affect me the way it does.

Comments

• Listen to lovely music instead.

You don't have to engage in the drama. It's not very productive is it?

poptart
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The problem is people identify with their choice of music. Music has become a thing to label oneself with. People meet people with the same music styles and form groups around that. We even have subcultures named after music styles nowadays, like 'rockers'. This goes so far that people feel personally offended when other people don't like their music. And so they will put their music on a pedestal to get their self-image back up.

Perhaps contemplate how your taste for music has changed over the years, so your taste is not something that belongs to you personally. Neither does the taste of others belong to them. So when somebody bashes a style of music, they can't hurt you.
    Beej
  • LostLightLostLight Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Right. I don't engage in the drama myself, but I need a little help of accepting hate better. I'm nice to those who hate, but deep down I feel horrible when surrounded by negativity. (I have a knack for absorbing emotions/thoughts from the area around me)
    I know people have different tastes too and that's not a problem. I say live and let live.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    LostLight said:

I need a little help of accepting hate better.

Is it possible to accept hate?

It's not your hate.
  • The fact that you are aware of this negativity means you are more awakened or conscious than the others indulging in it. But if it upsets you the best course is to avoid it as much as possible.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Most of the Music industry promotes worldly garbage, there are very few meaningful songs any more,I find Classical is very soothing.

Let other people's hate increase your renunciation for Samsara and let other peoples hate increase your compassion for them, When you have a mind that is free from attachment and aversion and you carry the mind of compassion that wishes to free all beings from their suffering you will always feel refreshed, Blissful and at peace.
  • Flee far far away from the childish.

You shall not benefit them and they shall not benefit you.
    lobster