Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Singing Bowls

poptartpoptart Veteran
edited August 2012 in Meditation
I'm looking at getting a singing bowl. Does anyone use one in their meditation? If so, do you think it makes much difference?

And can anyone recommend a good place to get one in the UK?

Comments

• I've been wondering about this myself. They make such an awesome sound. I have no idea what the intended purpose is though, or why they're used.
    poptart
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes, I do... but not for Meditation..., I use it for space-clearing....
    I bought mine in London... Neal's Yard, Seven dials.... but I know they're available on line... I also bought one at a Thich Naht Hahn talk... it's small, but mesmerising.....

try here, or here.
    poptartI_AM_THAT
  • I have a set of individually chosen Tibetan singing bowls, each attuned to one of the 7 chakras. I love them. I have used them for several years in conjunction with Reiki sessions. Everyone I've used them for, loved them as well.
    I have not tried to use one or more for formal meditation purposes. I know people who have, but I must say, they were pretty experienced and advanced in meditation, (much more than I was/am) so I don't know how the bowls might distract (or not) a less experienced meditator.

Worth a try though! :) I got my bowls from an online importer of singing bowls (from Tibet) and they are very reputable and reasonable for prices. And they have audios of each bowl you may be interested in!

http://www.silverskyimports.com/

Good Luck!
    poptart
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I love falling asleep to this... I always wake up so rested.
    MaryAnnepoptart
  • I have one that I purchased from a local Tibetan store, I thought it was cool and liked the idea of purchasing something from Tibet, but I don't understand the use of it.
    poptart
  • Thanks for the responses, folks.
    TheBee, that link you posted is wonderfully soothing.
    I love the sound of singing bowls, it seems to resonate very deeply.
    Here is another site I found if anyone is looking for one in the UK.
  • I bought mine here.
    http://www.bodhisattva-store.com/listings/
    I use it on occasion to start my meditation.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I'm putting the ^video^ on now and laying down.... hooray singing bowls and sleep! :om:
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    My wife bought one at a yoga camp we went to. My two year old daughter uses it for the clock striking one in Hickory Dickory Dock.....they are pretty cool!! :)
  • TheBeejAbides Member
    August 20
    I love falling asleep to this... I always wake up so rested.

Hey, BeejAbides: For several years, my wife and I have used a CD disc (lasts for 70mins., I think) that is a recording of crystal bowls being struck (also sounded in other ways). There is no melody, just a succession of sounds, which enable one to reach a region of the mind that is not usually available. When we are stressed, or very tired, one of us suggests that we "have 'the bells' on". When we do, we always enjoy a restful sleep, and we feel much more relaxed mentally. We think that this CD is great. It cost about £11.00 (eleven pounds sterling) in about 2005, and, IMHO, it was well worth the price. It is obtainable from:

Ms Andrea McCool,
    10 Tarporley Walk,
    WILMSLOW,
    Cheshire, UK
    SK9 2NZ

(Well, that was her address in 2005.)

The disc is entitled: Sonic Meditation. (It is supposed to be an "emotional detox" tool. I don't really know whether it does this, or not, but all I can say is that it is very soothing, and much more. I would recommend it to anyone that needs relaxation. (By the way, I am not a shareholder, nor am I in cahoots, with the person above, who travels over the UK, giving sessions of playing her "crystal bowls".)

Regards,
    Quandarius
    Beej
  • Well, I took the plunge and bought one. Here it is.

I must say it is awesome. It took me a day or two to learn the technique of making it sing, but now it feels like an extension of my hand it is so responsive. I keep it handy so every time I pass it I give it a ring to remind me to come back to the breath. The tone is very soothing and seems to energise the whole room as well as something inside my body. The sound seems to connect me with something very deep and spiritual.

I heartily recommend it to anyone.
    Kangaroo