Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

eyebrows furrow when meditating

edited August 2012 in Meditation
I find that when I'm meditating with my eyes closed, there is a constant tension in between my eyebrows. Is it because I am concentrating too hard, or is it because my eyes want to be opened?

Comments

• @yangster58: It may have something to do with the way you're meditating. Can you describe the meditation you're doing for us?
  • Just the standard vipassana meditation. I use the rising and falling as my object of meditation and move on to other objects when they become more predominant. I don't feel like I'm trying too hard; in fact, sometimes I get so relaxed that I almost fall asleep. But for some reason, my forehead is the part of my body that is never relaxed.
  • Try keeping your eyes open.
    Beej
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @yangster58: Could you describe your experience of attending to the object of meditation and what you do when you notice attention has wandered?
  • Meditation Problem

Meditation student to teacher: " Every time I sit to meditate, I find myself creating tension in my neck and shoulders after a little while. What can I do to stop this? "

Teacher to student: " Notice. Stop. Notice. Stop. Notice. Stop. Don't notice.... "
    TreeLuvr87
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I'd say to try the 'eyes open' suggestion. It helps you to not fall into an abstract dreamlike state. And as far as the tension goes, what @MaryAnne said is good. I deal with tension in my neck during meditation. When I notice it, I stop creating the tension. When it comes back, I stop again. If I can't stop it, I end the meditation and do yoga like stretching. Sometimes your body is trying to tell you something and meditation is the place where we hear it. No big deal.
  • I experience the same, sometimes to the point of headache. I just keep noticing, sometimes I try to relax the area, sometimes not, then notice again lol.
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Perhaps the mind is looking for visuals, a picture, an image, or something to grasp at. In any case, whatever the mind grasps at, it always ultimately fades away. Maybe keeping that in mind can ease a bit of tension around the area where the eyes sit.