Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Androids and Buddhism

ClayTheScribeClayTheScribe Veteran
edited August 2012 in Philosophy
Would Buddhism consider artificial life such as robots with artificial intelligence and maybe even feelings (ie, emotion chips) to be "sentient beings?" Would we have to approach them like we do all living creatures, even though they are actually machines? This is obviously not something Buddhists have ever had to consider (no doubt it didn't come to The Buddha's mind) and may not for another century, and I probably watch too much science fiction, but it does leave me wondering. If, for example, an android becomes malevolent and tries to kill you, can you kill it or not since it's considered a being?

Comments

• I don't know. Wouldn't this be more akin to "Intelligent Design", and on that basis a resounding no. :-)
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited August 2012
    If machine advance to a level to attach to an "I" , then they will no be so different to us.

This kind of philosophical thoughts about robot is really well put in the book " Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", from Philip K. Dick. Totally recommended.
    poptart
  • It all comes down to what we include into the definition of sentient being.

Also the distinction between machine and living creatures. These are also symbols in which we overlay meaning, etc.

We can believe and that will construct our perception of living and non living things. But other than our belief and perception, which is all on a basis of assumption, how can we know for sure?

Sure we can set up elaborate experiments and give meaning to symbols and collectively agree upon such symbols and experiments.

But they all require a mind do they not? So thats the basic flaw in any assumption. Its all perception and perception is automatically linked with naming and forming.

The differences are truly only symbolic in that sense. Beyond symbols is beyond same and different, or any designation for that matter.

And from that point, which I'll just call appearance-emptiness is the sentient being. The very functioning of the non local dependently arisen phenomena. Be it rocks, be it this body-mind, be it anything. Its all the configuration of the elements or in the subtle form of light.

This doesn't answer your question directly, but I suppose the functioning is to poke holes into the assumptions that lay between the letters. Just some thoughts.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    HHDL has said he thought it would be possible that if at some future point an andriod is complex enough to house a consciousness they could be considered sentient.

I guess the answer is whether or not they have an internal world, the problem is that there's no test to determine if other people have consciousness or if they are just a philosophical zombie.
    ClayTheScribe
  • A very interesting discussion. This goes to the heart of what makes us sentient.

What makes something "alive" is a great mystery and possibly beyond human understanding. And there is something about calling man-made machines sentient that makes me uneasy. It feels like playing god, creating a kind of Frankenstein's monster in our own image and for the gratification of our ego.
  • @Person, did the Dalai Lama really say that? That is so awesome, makes my day. I'd just want to know who actually asked him this or if he came up with this on his own. Man I like that guy more and more each day.

I really have more questions where this is concerned than answers, but if indeed at least in psychology and the humanities we continue to have a strong presence of Buddhist thought, not to mention all the scientists who practice or align with Buddhism, I think in perhaps a century's time or sooner these questions will become very real. For the first season or two of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Starfleet and others really struggled with whether Data, an android, could identify himself as sentient, indeed there was a whole episode where they wanted to take him apart and study him and Captain Picard refused to let it happen and ultimately they proved his sentience and won. While I think we are quite a ways from having robots as complex as a Data, the time is coming. Based on my own feelings, I would think an android would be sentient if it had what makes up what we call sentience (free will, self-awareness, etc). I imagine there will be some agency to oversee this, but even then the moral and philosophical questions will be many.

I think may end up writing a short story or something surrounding this.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    It was during the first Mind and Life conference, the transcript is the book Gentle Bridges the conversation is on pages 150-152.

ClayTheScribe
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Do we even have a good grasp on what life is now, to be trying to apply it to some hypothetical future circumstance where there would be thinking androids?
  • No, no and good point, but it's fun to wonder. And obviously HHDL thought it was an important enough topic to give a serious answer on, so I don't think it CAN'T be discussed.
  • And this topic may become real before we do have a good grasp on what life is now. Perhaps when androids come along it will help us to better define what is life in general. I know we Buddhists are very much about staying in the present moment, but I don't think discussing the future is ill-advised, just don't get stuck there, right?
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Cloud said:

Do we even have a good grasp on what life is now, to be trying to apply it to some hypothetical future circumstance where there would be thinking androids?

Maybe we are thinking androids now :)

ClayTheScribe