Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How does one practice walking meditation?

edited September 2012 in Meditation
I just recently joined a sangha in my community and we are having our first meditation next week. They are talking about doing some walking meditation which sounds wonderful. The problem is, I've never tried walking meditation before.

Can anyone help a new student out and explain this process?

Comments

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited September 2012

My own personal walking meditation plan went like this: Just Walk.
    Walk and be open to whatever you notice, whatever you see. Don't worry about what you don't notice or see. Don't set out 'seeking' anything, or any view in particular.
    Whatever thoughts come into your mind as you see something, note it, let it go.
    No need to dwell. Afterward, ask yourself if any particular thought or emotion was triggered or stood out for further consideration.

I'm not saying this is "the" way to do a walking meditation... because I don't know how mediation teachers teach it, I've never been to one for instruction .... this is just my way. :)

Edited to add: Hey Jennynicole- Please let us know how your group walking meditation went! :) I'm curious to know how far off the mark I was/am in my own practice.
    mfranzdorf
  • At our sangha, we walk around the room first very slowly, clockwise.
    Great attention is paid to the feet touching the floor, breathing in sync with the walking, and the weight shifting. We are walking at the same slow pace and have the same hand placement (for us, the right hand makes a fist and the left hand is placed over it, the elbows are bent about waist height)

We go around once slowly. When we are back to our own cushion, we go around once more, but quickly this time. Then we sit back in our spot and begin our next session of zazen. I just follow everyone else.

I think it helps to move around (because I usually can't feel my feet after the first session. When the bell sounds I am happy to have that walk & blood flow!
    Rodrigo
  • @caexl thank you for the rundown. That sounds like an intiguing process. :) I think that walking meditation will fit me as I still have trouble sitting still for too long. @MaryAnne thank you so much for sharing your process. :) I am excited to try this and will let you know how it goes.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I just recently joined a sangha in my community and we are having our first meditation next week. They are talking about doing some walking meditation which sounds wonderful. The problem is, I've never tried walking meditation before.

Can anyone help a new student out and explain this process?

There are several variations, but the basic idea is to develop mindfulness. One approach is to walk very slowly with full awareness of the body. Another is to walk at ordinary pace, again mindfullly. Anyway don't worry, you'll soon get the idea by watching others.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

This is a very good video.
  • I believe your teacher will give instruction. My teacher says that walking can get circulating the heart energy which is perhaps a relief. I use the feeling of my feet on the ground as a 25% stabilizer, 25% of my awareness. Of course you drift off and then you return. Another 25% is on the balance and lucidity of awareness, I mean how *do we* balance ourselves and walk. It's hard to understand on paper. How is it that I can even raise my hand and pick up a glass of water. It's quite amazing. The other 50% is just letting go of all the thoughts and drinking in with the five senses instead. So there is a letting go, a stability in the present, and a lucidity of heart and mind.
  • I'm not sure if it is the proper way, but this is the Zayl way. I'll just walk, I'll pick a direction and go. Normally at an ambling, meandering pace. I'll let thoughts come and go, inspired by what I see, smell, or feel. I might contemplate and reflect on things I or others have done, etc. Really all I do is wander around aimlessly and let my mind do the same.

As I said, not sure if that is the proper way.
  • Thank you for all of the responses. :)@zombiegirl I am intrigued by that video. It's very enlightening. I had my first walking meditation on Wednesday and I was pleasantly surprised at how easily I was able to tune out the world and focus on the present. We proceeded this with some sitting group meditation and discussion. It was a lovely experience and I can't wait to go back. If anyone is interesting in reading about it I just published my account to my blog A Girl and her Budda
  • ... I was pleasantly surprised at how easily I was able to tune out the world and focus on the present...

Everything is happening now. 'tune out the world and focus on the present' doesn't make any sense.

• @kowtaaia Thanks for the input. You're right, that does contridict. It was a quick snapshot written in a desperate attempt to remember the details so I know it doesn't all make sense. I'll have to edit that part out though.
  • I thought I'd have a go at focusing my mind whilst running this morning; concentrating on my breath and my feet touching the floor while feeling the sun on my skin and taking in the trees and the lake. I thought if I could focus solely on what I was doing then I be able to perform better but it was hard going!

I've started a weekly 5k in a park near me and it was only my second attempt, I knocked 2 mins off my time from last week but don't know how much that had to do with clearing my mind and how much was to do with progress.

I plan to keep using those times to clear all other thoughts as I was able to feel that there was nowhere else I needed to be or nothing else I needed to be doing, I was just... running (jogging/walking).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    having a fierce dog chase you concentrates the mind wonderfully too.... :D

Two minutes off? That's really pretty good going!

Your mental practice can only improve, too... Well done..... !
  • @kowtaaia Thanks for the input. You're right, that does contridict. It was a quick snapshot written in a desperate attempt to remember the details so I know it doesn't all make sense. I'll have to edit that part out though.

You're welcome. So, don't tune out, just observe. The false fades way in awareness.
  • cozcoz Explorer
    if you walk as tho you were a child you will see the wonder about you
    your breath will be strong and alive as you become more aware of it
    and the true nature of things will always inspire you
    i love walking meditation on the beach just at the shore line a bit of you in the water
    and a bit of you on land
    joy to you
    Coz