Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yea I know

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited September 2012 in Buddhism Today
Yea today is that day, and I have read so much stuff on facebook about how tragic it was, I have seen on TV how we should remember, but take a look at this image.
personcarolannpoptart

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Makes me think of the Joker from The Dark Knight... saying no one cares if it all goes "according to the plan", if it's what people expect to happen in daily life. Sad.
  • Nice ref Cloud. I saw on fox news, yes fox news T__T people making special efforts to show their love for their partners or their country because of today... Errr it is like any other day and you should be showing as much as you can give on any other day. Just because this happened in your happy, non undeveloped city gives reason to make it a day for giving more compassion? Kind of like Valentines day or Christmas?...
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I think the common person doesn't often think of their own mortality until they have a reason to. 9/11 is a reason to. It was a day in which the United States was touched by problems frequently plaguing many other countries and it was shocking (and painful) to many people. We suddenly learned we weren't invincible.

Personally, I saw images on that day that I will never get out of my mind. Sure, it's not the only horrible thing I've seen in my life... but I was 17, watching reports from ground zero, hearing these sounds of things falling and hitting the ground... and then you find out that those sounds are people jumping from the burning buildings, essentially committing suicide. The bang was when they hit the ground. In that moment, I had so much sorrow for those people, literally forced to choose which way they would rather die.

I try to be aware and thankful and all of those things, but even just noticing what day it is reminds me of those images I saw, hunkered around a TV cart in my Current Issues class.
  • @ThailandTom on the radio this morning they were saying that the amount spent on presidential campaigning was over 400 million (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/track-presidential-campaign-ads-2012/). I was thinking, wow... that would feed a lot of people.
    zombiegirl
  • tmottes said:

@ThailandTom on the radio this morning they were saying that the amount spent on presidential campaigning was over 400 million (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/track-presidential-campaign-ads-2012/). I was thinking, wow... that would feed a lot of people.

How everything is set in place, how the wheels turn in the capitalist world make me sick sometimes, but that is the way it is. I just hope one day in the near future the wheels fall apart and something more virtuous and unselfish falls into place, one can dream :rolleyes:
  • I think that freedom is good, even when it comes to how we give to society and others; however, it comes with a lot of responsibility to not abuse it. If some people can learn it, eventually everybody can. We just need to hit a critical mass :). @ThailandTom I will dream with you. :om: