Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

American Beauty

poptartpoptart Veteran
edited September 2012 in General Banter
Watching the movie American Beauty last night I got to the bit where he's showing her a film he made of a paper bag dancing around in the wind. And it occurred to me that's kind of what we are, paper bags dancing around in the wind, rushing about thinking our little lives are so important.

Anyone else seen this film? Do you think it contains a Buddhist message?

Comments

• No comment on Buddhist aspect but I loved the film.
  • I think American Beauty is one of the greatest films ever made. And, yes, I think it has a Buddhist message. The bag is a good analogy for how we all get tossed around here and there without much control, despite the control we believe we have.

As well, with the father and the daughter, the message there is the necessity of being ourselves at virtually any cost. We may lose friends, a marriage, a job, etc… but submitting to a life we don’t want out of the “need” for safety is a slow death.

The wife/mother is trapped by appearances and cannot see anything outside of that context. In this society, as much as we love to try and pretend we are being ourselves, we often view a middle aged man buying a muscle car or a 17 year old running away from home as irresponsible and downright stupid. But maybe something drastic is needed to break free of these feelings of imprisonment.

To me, even more than the “be yourself” message which is all too watered down these days, the Buddhist message may be more about taking risks. The ability to claim yourself to find yourself and with any luck, losing your Self. I figure change comes only through making changes, not hoping for change while sacrificing nothing. It all comes down to questioning our lives. If we’re not doing that, we’re not doing much, are we? The father and daughter epitomize the essence of freedom.

I was reading something in a Jack Kornfield book where a college student was three days away from graduation when he felt compelled to fly to India. He didn’t know why, didn’t know what he was supposed to do or where to go. He ended up meeting a teacher/guru and his life transformed from that day forward. That is risk. That’s guts. I hope, should I ever feel that pull to follow my heart in that way, that I would. I’m not sure I’d be strong enough and if not, I better pay attention as to why.
    poptartJeffreypersonjessie70
  • That's a very interesting analysis, Scott. Thank you.

I think it's a terrific film too. I've watched it many times and each time I seem to take something different from it.
  • Hm. The Buddhist part went completely over my head. You all are making me want to watch it again. I found it depressing the first time. Obviously, I missed the whole point.
    :-/
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I think it is a beautiful movie, with a message. I agree with @scottc1969. It is about masks people put up, feelings that we hide. The wive trying to picture "the american dream" to the outside world, while that's clearly not the case. In reality the family is falling apart, but she doesn't want to recognize it. The man who still has trouble finding his place in society and in himself, acting again like a boy. The blonde girl trying to be perfect and liked by everybody, not embracing herself as she is. The neighbour hiding his feelings of being gay behind being a tough guy.

Actually the one who appears weirdest is actually most true to his own nature (the neighbour kid), although even he hides stuff (his drugs).

So the movie is about being true to ourselves, and I think that's also an important part of Buddhism.
    poptartRebeccaS
  • Dakini said:

Hm. The Buddhist part went completely over my head. You all are making me want to watch it again. I found it depressing the first time. Obviously, I missed the whole point.
    :-/

I think the film works on lots of levels, Dakini. It certainly benefits from more than one watching. To be honest I found it a bit disappointing the first time, something that often happens when a film is much hyped.
  • Sabre said:

Actually the one who appears weirdest is actually most true to his own nature (the neighbour kid), although even he hides stuff (his drugs).

So the movie is about being true to ourselves, and I think that's also an important part of Buddhism.

A most astute observation, Sabre. To be spiritually awakened, as Ricky is, is to appear mad in this insane world. Makes you wonder about all those people we consider mad, doesn't it?
  • It's a good movie - Kevin Spacey was awesome in it. Dunno if it has what is necessarily a Buddhist message, but I do think it has a spiritual one.

I also think the Ricky character was highly evolved.