Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mental Dialogue

edited September 2012 in Meditation
Every time I try to meditate I focus on my breathing and try to let my thoughts just flow, but it seems like the more I try to focus on my breathing, the more mental dialogue I hear. It's as if I'm talking to myself about HOW to meditate, and I don't feel like I am accomplishing anything. I am constantly having to tell myself to dismiss the thoughts I'm having, and the more I do, the more they invade my mind.
Has anyone had this experience and been able to move past it?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Why don't you get involved in the mental dialog directly and change the topic of the conversation?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Thoughts are permissible. That's what your mind does. It thinks.
    But what happens is that you permit the thoughts to come and go, to ebb and flow... you're not supposed to 'dismiss' thoughts. You're 'supposed' to observe them, without clinging to them, or weaving them into a web of continuous stories....
    MaryAnnepoptartLostLightjessie70
  • I never thought of it like that. I was getting too caught up on the stillness I was waiting for.
  • Hi there!

You may find this video useful -

Best of luck!
  • Everyone that meditates knows of what you speak.

Minds think - it's what they do.

It's not that this internal dialog is not already there, it just that you are seeing it now.

Just by concentrating on the breath it quiets and calms down the mind so that you can observe thoughts. When you become aware that a wandering thought has appeared, stop it, and simply return attention to your breath. This action should be one of letting go with patience and kindness. Don't try to analyze or judge the content just let it go and return back to the breath that is happening now. If you have a hard time letting go or you wander back to the same thoughts. Try simple one word labeling as a technique to help with awareness and to let go.

Keep at it and with practice the wanderings and dialog will become less frequent.

Best Wishes

• Thanks so much! The video and all of the comments have been very helpful!
  • Congratulations! You are successfully practicing Vipassana insight meditation.
    kilesa