Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Craving vs biological needs

edited September 2012 in Buddhism Basics
If I want food, that's not exactly craving in the Buddhist sense. It is just a biological need. Likewise, if I want entertainment (tv, books, whatever), again that is a psychological need rather than craving. Hope people catch my drift. My question is, how do we make a distinction between craving and needs. Because some people may take this too far ...

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2012
    music said:

If I want food, that's not exactly craving in the Buddhist sense. It is just a biological need. Likewise, if I want entertainment (tv, books, whatever), again that is a psychological need rather than craving. Hope people catch my drift. My question is, how do we make a distinction between craving and needs. Because some people may take this too far ...

Great question.

The way I see it, craving (tahna, literally 'thirst') is a very subtle but powerful aspect of our psychology that's directly tied to suffering. It's there, latent in the mind, waiting to exert its influence through mental fabrications by directing or at the very least encouraging the mind to feed upon sensory experiences via the five clinging-aggregates in an unhealthy way. When we're hungry, for example, our mind has a tendency to attach itself to the desire for food and create an identity around it, which can then create suffering in a number of ways, e.g., if we don't get what we want; if it doesn't live up to our expectations that we create around the attainment of our goal; if, in our greed, we eat too much and feel sick and lament our physical discomfort; etc. Craving, then, isn't simply our desire to or for X; it's the beginning of a mental chain of events that turns our desires for things into the potential for suffering.

It's insanely early here, so I hope that makes sense. About to head out for a 3-day road trip around Oregon. :)
    sovaZeroGentleJanet
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    This is a good question.

To me it is (to some extent) about self-control.

I used to LOVE chocolate. I sometimes described myself as a "chocolatholic". If I had been that, that would have been "craving". But 18 months ago, I discovered that chocolate was beginning to cause me to have heart palpitations. So, once the link was realized, I immediately stopped eating chocolate. I wasn't really craving chocolate, after all. I wasn't a chocolatholic. In reality, I just enjoyed chocolate. And I don't think that Buddhism says not to enjoy life.

I love certain types of music. Last night I sad down and enjoyed a couple of CDs. Enjoyment. Not craving...like the people I know who risked their jobs or their marriages...or ignored their childrens' needs to go to a rock concert.
    GentleJanet
  • Needs are driven by the body eg. need to breathe, eat, sleep, avoid cold.
    Craving is driven by mind - you don't eat to live, but live to eat.

Animals are generally driven by the former whereas humans can have both. That is why animals don't go shopping, eat at restaurants or attend concerts. :D
    GentleJanet
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It would be interesting to look at this issue in relationship to Maslow's hierarchy.
  • ph0kinph0kin http://klingonbuddhist.wordpress.com Explorer
    music said:

If you don't eat, you die needlessly. If you don't watch TV you don't.

People tend to live life thinking "I'm number one, it's all about me." That's where the craving comes in.
    GentleJanet
  • I think a lot of craving is about expectation. We have a lot of biological needs, like eating, but when we expect food, entertainment, or really anything in life to serve a particular purpose for us, we don't appreciate it for what it is.

Food is food, and technically our cells need a certain amount of glucose to live, and so we don't 'need' food, we need energy, but we crave ice cream or cheeseburgers because they taste good and are pleasing to us. They aren't just energy, but something of pleasure, which can cause problems.

And when that's magnified by all the varieties of craving available to us, it can have a huge effect on our minds. Being mindful of our expectations and our cravings is important - one doesn't have to deny everything that one enjoys, but at least understand why. Like @vinlyn said, people sacrifice a lot of things for cravings. I'd bet that they weren't doing them just because they 'liked' them, but maybe they had some psychological need to escape or not feel the pressures of adulthood.
    GentleJanet
  • being at peace no matter the situation is always what i try to remember. sometimes i get caught up analyzing if i'm doing something or thinking something that is a need vs a want and i realize throughout my day there's so many things i do out of need and want that i can't distinguish them well and it makes my brain explode, so i focus on just being peace then it seems whether i'm acting out of want or need, it doesn't hinder me so much cause i'm ultimately acting out of a mind that is at complete peace and my thoughts/actions will be right for that moment
    GentleJanetWisdom23
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    If you eat food, you're nourishing your body.

If you want food, you're mistaken, because anatta shows that there is no such thing as desire.
  • You need to see the world for what it is, see the dhamma. Everytime you taste, smell, touch, see, hear study for a moment at what that sense does within your mind. It will cause ether a positive reaction or a negative reaction. The thing is, you are reacting rather than being above this and seeing it for what it really is, it's just a reaction.

Your refuge should be your mind, not a temple or your house, but your mind. If your house burns to the ground, understand it has burnt and not your mind, do not let your mind burn. The point I am making here is that to stop craving you need to observe it as it happens, over and over. If you cannot see the craving, you cannot stop it. The only way to see the craving is to see the mind, to see the dhamma.

And sorry PrairieGhost I have experienced desire in a whole bunch of ways, and it is one of the 12 links is it not?
    8. Craving (Trishna)

The Second Noble Truth teaches that trishna -- thirst, desire or craving -- is the cause of stress or suffering (dukkha).

If we are not mindful, we are perpetually being jerked around by desire for what we want and aversion of what we don't want. In this state we heedlessly create karma, which keeps us entangled in the cycle of rebirth.
  • ThailandTom:
    And sorry PrairieGhost I have experienced desire in a whole bunch of ways, and it is one of the 12 links is it not?
    But self, the premise on which the idea of desire is based has been broken.

Have you ever felt sad when peeling onions?
  • This is going to go off of topic a little I feel, but anyway yes non self which basically means there is mind but there is no permanent self, only conditions that have brought wind, earth, water and fire together to make a human being. That does not mean that the mind does not grasp and feels desire.

For example say you see an attractive person, that image will travel through the eye into the brain and into the mind, the mind which is aware of sense objects. It will acknowledge the image and could form desire based around the image as this mind is the basic mind, just average. One must further train the mind so that you no longer are the one who acknowledges but the one who knows in accordance with the truth in Buddhism. When one can train this sort of mind further and further, you only see the image as an image, just a combination of conditions arising and falling, fire, water, wind and earth.
  • ThailandTom:
    For example say you see an attractive person, that image will travel through the eye into the brain and into the mind, the mind which is aware of sense objects. It will acknowledge the image and could form desire based around the image as this mind is the basic mind, just average.
    That's an interesting theory. Have you seen it happen?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    music said:

A need to watch TV, books, etc. is nothing other than craving if you would be at all disturbed if you were deprived of TV, books, etc. However, if you would not be disturbed by not having any TV or entertainment, you would not feel a need for it to begin with. The psychological need to be entertained is itself a craving. Without craving, there would be no psychological need to be entertained to begin with.

• ThailandTom:

For example say you see an attractive person, that image will travel through the eye into the brain and into the mind, the mind which is aware of sense objects. It will acknowledge the image and could form desire based around the image as this mind is the basic mind, just average.
    That's an interesting theory. Have you seen it happen?

Have I seen it happen lol. I have experienced a few sensory inputs in this way, but I have not yet been able to guard all of the 5 sensory doors in such a way no. But going back to non-self, can you see what I mean by the fact that it refers to the body, this person only being made up of conditions that have come into being forever changing? It has little to do with mind which is what I was pointing to, that is where the craving/desire occurs. You can be attached to the self through the mind of course :p I have seen this happen yes.
    edited September 2012
    When we look carefully, all the premises will collapse, even the premise that we are looking, and we will know that desire, self, eye, brain, mind, senses, the whole lot, are actually not those things.

If we examine a mirage, water is seen but found not to be there. There is still water in the world, just not here. In the place of water, we find an illusion.

But when self is seen and found not to be there, there is no self elsewhere in the world. So we don't find anything in its place, even illusion.

How do you know you see self/desire when you don't know what self/desire looks like?
  • When we look carefully, all the premises will collapse, even the premise that we are looking, and we will know that desire, self, eye, brain, mind, senses, the whole lot, are actually not those things.

If we examine a mirage, water is seen but found not to be there. There is still water in the world, just not here. In the place of water, we find an illusion.

But when self is seen and found not to be there, there is no self elsewhere in the world. So we don't find anything in its place, even illusion.

Right back at you, have you seen this? :lol: There is no self but there is mind/consciousness that can cause attachment which leads to suffering, as most of know and all have us have experienced.
    edited September 2012
    ThailandTom:
    Right back at you,
    I'm not trying to compete with you or put you on the spot.

There is no mind and certainly no such thing as consciousness. Nor is there a void or mirage to take their place.
  • Biological needs are necessary things and we should maintain them to stay alive. Craving on the other hand, is more our own doing. Craving is the result of indulging without being mindful. Going overboard with desires in other words. Not practicing the middle way.
    edited September 2012
    Please study the Buddhist concept of name and form, as it relates to dependent origination.

Please don't study it using the usual assumption, that when name and form cease, some show called consciousness turns into a blank screen.
  • ThailandTom:

Right back at you,
    I'm not trying to compete with you or put you on the spot.

There is no mind and certainly no such thing as consciousness. Nor is there a void or mirage to take their place.

hehe nor am I, seriously you took the words on the screen in the wrong way, I get that a lot T___T I was joking around PrairieGhost, I am not one to be competitive or get involved in arguments on this site, if I sense a thread is heading that way I duck out in all honesty.

If there is no consciousness or mind, then what is there? Out of curiosity what have you based your ideas on, self exploration?
  • ThailandTom:
    If there is no consciousness or mind, then what is there?
    The question is phrased incorrectly. Or rather, it is incorrect that it should be asked in the first place, and it wasn't.
  • ThailandTom:

If there is no consciousness or mind, then what is there?
    The question is phrased incorrectly. Or rather, it is incorrect that it should be asked in the first place, and it wasn't.

Why is it incorrect to ask a question like this when so many great teachings who have come and gone made emphasis on mind or consciousness? Again I am not being argumentative, I am just questioning and discussing as that is what this place is meant for. There was a follower of the Buddha who was learning under him and the Buddha asked him if he believed in a teaching that he was explaining, the guy said that he did not believe it and the Buddha praised him for this as it is not blindly believing, but questionig.
    edited September 2012
    ThailandTom:
    Out of curiosity what have you based your ideas on, self exploration?
    I've always known, just as you do.

It's not a case of learning, it's a case of daring to accept what one already knows.
  • ThailandTom:
    Why is it incorrect to ask a question like this when so many great teachings who have come and gone made emphasis on mind or consciousness?
    Please read the second sentence of the post.

edited September 2012
    How can we ask 'what is this?'

As if someone else was here, not seeing, not knowing.
  • music said:

I think if you just stop and think about what it is you want for a second before you actually do it, you can figure out if it's a genuine need or just craving.

Food for example... If I'm genuinely hungry, I'll probably eat whatever I can find in the fridge. If I'm hungry for a particular food, perhaps I'm just craving. This isn't always so, because sometimes you crave certain things because your body is short of certain nutrients that food provides. But say you just had your dinner an hour ago, and it was healthy and provided everything you need, but now you just want a bag of chips... That's craving. Your body isn't hungry - you just ate :lol:

So if you like... Just stop and think about it for a second before you open that bag of chips, and take into account all the facts (like I just ate dinner an hour ago) you can probably figure out the difference.

Same with entertainment. If you think for a second before you turn the TV on why you want to watch it... What is your intention... You'll know if you just need to give yourself a break for a while or if you're just trying to run away from something. If you sit down to watch your favourite show for an hour, cool, but if you're vegging out for six hours in front of the box maybe there is something that needs examining.

Yeah... I reckon if you just think about your motivations and look at the facts you can tell the difference. Hope you find something that works for you :)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Generally if you are craving for a lack of specific nutrient it is a different feeling than when i am craving a dq blizzard because I have PMS. Also, biologically your body isn't going to have you craving a stack of oreos or whatever. You'll crave things like specific fruit, a salad, a steak...things that immediately will fulfill that nutrient requirement. When I found I was craving steak constantly, I found that I had low iron and had to start taking a supplement, for example. But, even though there is iron added to kid's cereals that's not generally what your body will crave to fulfill the nutrient.

Craving is an interesting thing. At this time of year, I start to crave my mom's lasagna. Today I'm thinking about it often, because it was 28 degrees here this morning, and thinking about eating lasagna makes me feel better about the coming winter. Alas, I will have to wait because we are having it this weekend, lol.

If you stop yourself, you can figure out pretty easily whether you are needing, or craving. It's the being honest with yourself part that is most difficult. Sometimes I'll know I'm craving it and will probably regret eating it, and I make the conscious choice to eat it anyhow. Most often when I have PMS, when I feel I've been possessed by something with an endless stomach for candy and flaming hot cheetos.
    ThailandTomamandathetexan
  • "If you stop yourself, you can figure out pretty easily whether you are needing, or craving."

This is something I was wording in a different way and will help a lot, everytime a thought arises due to maybe a smell or sight w/e, observe it and give it some time. If people actually stopped for a few moments before they did a lot of the things they did, the world would be a better place I am sure.
    amandathetexan
  • seeker242 said:

music said:

A need to watch TV, books, etc. is nothing other than craving if you would be at all disturbed if you were deprived of TV, books, etc. However, if you would not be disturbed by not having any TV or entertainment, you would not feel a need for it to begin with. The psychological need to be entertained is itself a craving. Without craving, there would be no psychological need to be entertained to begin with.

Even if you're given enough food, if you're confined to a room with no people, tv, books etc., in short no activity or relationships, you'll go mad. That's why prison guards throw unruly prisoners into the hole - being alone is the greatest mental torture.
  • music said:

seeker242 said:

music said:

Even if you're given enough food, if you're confined to a room with no people, tv, books etc., in short no activity or relationships, you'll go mad. That's why prison guards throw unruly prisoners into the hole - being alone is the greatest mental torture.
    Put a highly acclaimed monk or nun in a prison cell or the kind of room you explained and I am sure they would relish the opportunity to take time out of service and just work on themselves spiritually speaking. Last week I did not eat or drink for 2 days, but that was due to depression and withdrawal symptoms.
  • edited September 2012

music said:

seeker242 said:

music said:

Put a highly acclaimed monk or nun in a prison cell or the kind of room you explained and I am sure they would relish the opportunity to take time out of service and just work on themselves spiritually speaking. Last week I did not eat or drink for 2 days, but that was due to depression and withdrawal symptoms.
    Are you sure? How long can they last? Even monks and such meditative people don't just stay in their rooms all the time, they come out and give speeches, do some gardening, cooking, cleaning, and many other activities. Meaning, they find it hard to be alone for longer duration and need activities, human contact.
  • music said:

music said:

seeker242 said:

music said:

Are you sure? How long can they last? Even monks and such meditative people don't just stay in their rooms all the time, they come out and give speeches, do some gardening, cooking, cleaning, and many other activities. Meaning, they find it hard to be alone for longer duration and need activities, human contact.
    Well Ajahn Brahm lives in a cave and quite likes it in there... I don't know, how can I speak for every monk or nun, but I do know that some of them will have a strong enough mind to probably see their days out in a room to be honest. Ever heard of the rains retreats?
  • I remember reading that what sets "tanha" thirst apart from actual thirst (or hunger, etc.), is that tanha never actually be fulfilled. It is actually like a force in the background that shifts shapes and focuses on different things, pulling away from what is perceives to be unpleasant, going towards that which is perceived to be desirable.
  • music said:

music said:

seeker242 said:

music said:

Well Ajahn Brahm lives in a cave and quite likes it in there... I don't know, how can I speak for every monk or nun, but I do know that some of them will have a strong enough mind to probably see their days out in a room to be honest. Ever heard of the rains retreats?
    Does his cave have a tv? Anyway, even these people don't spend 24/7 in their rooms ... They go out, lecture, do other activities, besides forming relationships with people, namely students. I am not arguing, just pointing out that even those who live secluded lives don't just sit down and do nothing, cuz that would lead to madness.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    There is documented evidence that imprisoned monks, put into solitary confinement with sensory deprivation, survived for days on end merely meditating and ''sitting'.
    I have no idea whether I could do it or not, but it can and does happen. Who knows what any of us are capable of, given certain circumstances...
  • music said:

music said:

music said:

seeker242 said:

music said:

Does his cave have a tv? Anyway, even these people don't spend 24/7 in their rooms ... They go out, lecture, do other activities, besides forming relationships with people, namely students. I am not arguing, just pointing out that even those who live secluded lives don't just sit down and do nothing, cuz that would lead to madness.
    I am not arguing either, rather discussing. I am pretty sure Ajahn Brahm has no TV no because he has to be told about famous people and trends of the time by others. Anyway, most people would go mad if they were left by themselves in a room for a long time yes, but if you cultivate the mind you will be able to abide in such states for longer and longer periods of time. I have very little doubt there are people who could live like that if they had food and water for the rest of their lives. Everything is mind, you shape and create your world from within it, wherever you are.
  • The only way to make the distinction is through awareness. You say you want food, but what exactly do you want that food for? is it because you miss the taste (sense craving) or is it because you want to forget about a bad day? (escapism/craving) etc.

Although you're body tells you it wants something, that does not make it a necessity. For example addictions. It is a type of conditioned existence. A loop where in your mind created the conditions in your body to physically become a certain way and in return feeds it back to your mind (karma) and appears purely as a biological need.

Also, the five senses can be thought of as being perceived through the all encompassing gateway of the sense of mind (or sixth sense of sorts?).

But distinction is in awareness which is why meditation is so helpful, so you can still the mind and watch the interactions play out (causes and effects).

ThailandTom
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    music said:

seeker242 said:

music said:

Yes, people would go mad because human beings are, unless enlightened or awakened, driven by craving. Many monks live up in a cave or the remote mountains somewhere, with no contact with any other people, no tv, no books, and they don't go mad. Being alone is the greatest mental torture, for a person who is bound up in craving. Craving is the reason why it is mental torture to begin with.

For one who has left craving behind, complete solitude is peace. If you were to take a Buddha and put him in solitary confinement, he would not go mad because he no longer has craving.
    "Blissful is solitude for one who is content, learned & who see the True Dhamma." Udana 11
    If solitude disturbs someone, this alone is evidence that craving is still present.
    ThailandTom
    edited September 2012
    How do you sense wanting?

A clue: you do not 'just kinda know'.
    edited September 2012
    The truth is, you don't sense wanting.

Sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, thought, imagination. Wanting is just how we tend to label configurations of those phenomena manifesting. If you can notice how this happens for you, there is no wanting and no suffering.
  • seeker242 said:

music said:

seeker242 said:

music said:

Yes, people would go mad because human beings are, unless enlightened or awakened, driven by craving. Many monks live up in a cave or the remote mountains somewhere, with no contact with any other people, no tv, no books, and they don't go mad. Being alone is the greatest mental torture, for a person who is bound up in craving. Craving is the reason why it is mental torture to begin with.

For one who has left craving behind, complete solitude is peace. If you were to take a Buddha and put him in solitary confinement, he would not go mad because he no longer has craving.
    "Blissful is solitude for one who is content, learned & who see the True Dhamma." Udana 11
    If solitude disturbs someone, this alone is evidence that craving is still present.

@music this is what I was getting at, people with such a state of mind would find such an opportunity a break from service, they would find a great amount of peace and time to work on themselves spiritually. However, there is a big part of Buddhism that IMO must revolve around compassion and service, so there may come a time where guilt would come into play and they would want to get out only to help people and not purly for the reason to get out for their own good.
  • Biological needs - food, clothing, shelter and medicines ie. the four requisites for a bhikkhu.

All else would not fall under biological needs.
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks, everyone. I understand that monks and maybe a few exceptional people may be able to do this, but the average person ... think of those with locked-in syndrome. They literally beg for death, which is evidence that bio needs arent everything. It is easy for us to make a distinction between basic needs and craving, but try telling that to a person with locked-in syndrome.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Not all people with locked-in syndrome "beg for death".
    There were a couple of recent cases that wanted the right to die, but this is not necessarily 'begging for death'.

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Locked in syndrome sounds like a nightmare come true :(

There was a guy who had it who wrote a book though. He wrote an entire book, letter by letter, blinking his eyes.

This guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Dominique_Bauby
  • Maybe, craving (relative to the 4NT) is -

(1) wanting something (like a fat juicy steak) that you cannot have; and
    (2) not wanting something (like a cheating husband/wife) that cannot just disapppear.

It's not being content with things as they are in the present moment and craving for present reality to be different from what it is. This discontent is what causes suffering. If, on the other hand, you just went ahead and had that fat juicy steak and no discontent arose from that action, where is the suffering? It's a moment-to-moment experience, accepting the present moment for what it is, and letting go of the past and future.

Perhaps there's more to it... I'll get there slowly..... :)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

The truth is, you don't sense wanting.

Sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, thought, imagination. Wanting is just how we tend to label configurations of those phenomena manifesting. If you can notice how this happens for you, there is no wanting and no suffering.

But much of our behviour revolves around wanting and not wanting, craving and aversion - as in the second Noble Truth. So I'm struggling to understand how noticing wanting ( or how we label it ) means there is no wanting?
    edited September 2012
    Because you haven't ever seen desire. If you have, what does it look like?

Thinking 'I want a holiday' and sighing, isn't desire. It's thinking and sighing. Let it be thinking and sighing.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    jessie70 said:

I remember reading that what sets "tanha" thirst apart from actual thirst (or hunger, etc.), is that tanha never actually be fulfilled. It is actually like a force in the background that shifts shapes and focuses on different things, pulling away from what is perceives to be unpleasant, going towards that which is perceived to be desirable.

Yes, that's a good way of putting in. And in the teaching on dependent origination tanha arises in dependence on feeling ( vedana ), so we're continually pulled towards pleasant sensation and continually trying to push away unpleasant sensation.