Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can you still be mindful and do things like drink or party?

LostLightLostLight Veteran
edited September 2012 in Meditation
Like always, an interesting thought came to me the other day. It was about the differences between craving/attachment,
I've never partook in the consumption of alcohol strangely, so I my words don't have the weight of some others. That being said, I was wondering if someone could drink something like alcohol without an addiction/craving. If precautionary measures were taken to make sure bad things wouldn't happen in the altered state, and the person only drank because that's what was served, how is that not being skillfull? I'm trying to make a distinction between accepting pleasures and craving pleasures.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Keeping the precepts is supposed to be tough, it's supposed to teach us restraint. If alcohol is being served and you can't say no, what good is that? Remember that above all Buddhism is about intention. It boils down to what you want... if you want to drink, you're going to find a way to drink (or a way to rationalize that there's nothing wrong with it). Recognize the intention. And then recognize the absence of the intention to follow the fifth precept! There's more than one thing wrong with the picture when it gets to this point. :)

There's always a craving present. What's important is to recognize it and then "starve" it... let it go. Every time it comes up recognize it, but then let it go again. Eventually it'll stop bothering, like a wild cat that's not fed for a while and stops coming around. This is Right Effort.
    kristin_chanpersonjessie70
  • hi i think its possible to drink (or do anything) without the craving/attachment but i think some situations allow for a more clear and slowing down mindset vs others. i like pleasurable things that change my mindset, from things like music, food, alcohol, sensual things, a comfy bed, swimming etc etc i think it requires a good balance of discipline and acceptance, we don't want to constantly judge ourselves for every action we do that engages us in pleasure but then also we don't want to become silly about it. your situation reminds me of the story where the monk dude was given this tea that messed with his brain and so he just meditated until it wore off. and to say if he experienced accepting pleasure or craving pleasure i do not knows but either way what's important is that he was being mindful.it's possible to meditate no matter what and I find that reassuring.
    Jeffrey
  • I think abstinence helps practice because you want to keep your mind clear in order to connect with the present moment. If you are intoxicated even to the smallest degree it will hinder that. If you are craving alcohol you need to investigate why the craving is there and deal with that. If you feel you need a drink in order to feel whole there must be some issue that is giving you suffering.

People drink for lots of reasons. Some think it makes them feel more confident, but this is not the true confidence that comes from knowing oneself, it's a short-term lowering of inhibitions which can lead to regret and shame when you have sobered up.

The joy and peace you experience from connecting with your true self is far better than anything out of a bottle.
    Cloudjessie70
  • I do not normally drink. But there are times when I was with the clients or friends in some special occasion which I join drinking together. For me, as long as I know the limit, still in control, know to stop, I'm ok with drinking. I don't know whether this is a justification (yes, it is) but everytime I drink, i put more effort to myself to keep the awareness. I was worry to get drunk thus I kept watching my breathe, kept feeling what I'm doing, in every talk, every move. Meditation practise will help a lot in keeping awake.

Well, but still drinking is one of the precept we have to avoid. For every action (kamma) we took, we have to prepare for the effect (vipaka). If you can't keep this precept, at least do not let it ruin the 4 other precepts.
  • There is no "punishment" for drinking if it does not cause harm to another but, if you are on the Buddhist path, it will impede your progress toward a clear and focused mind - like encountering a detour on your way home.
    Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The first 5 precepts are in fact, inter-related, are they not? They are cohesively linked to the very first precept of not doing harm; and the first person whom should benefit from your endeavours is - yourself:
    Do no harm - do not harm your reputation or conscience, by stealing; do not harm your reputation or conscience by wantonly reckless sexual acts; do not harm your conscience or reputation by gossiping, slander, idle time-wasting chatter or harsh speech; do not harm your conscience or reputation by taking substances which in excess, leave you acting like a damn fool....
    The easiest way to avoid harming your conscience or reputation, is to abstain....
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Alcohol being physically addictive makes it something one should stay away from in the first place do you not think? People are already intoxicated enough with their families pssessions and wealth etc as it is. That is quite enough already for the mind to burden, so to party and take intoxicants brings only darkness to the mind, it covers up the mind from seeing itself and sati. If you add another addiction, be it physical, mental or both, you are simply adding another defilement to the list that you will need to first recognize and then root out.
    federicaLostLight
  • Alrighty I wasn't sure if there was any sort of justification to drinking, but I guess there isn't after all. Thanks for the replies.