Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Science

If practicing buddhism means trying to rid oneself of dualistic and rationalistic thinking do you think people can meaningfully practice Buddhism while engaging in, for instance, graduate work in Biology.

Work in science basically most of the time requires dualism and a type of thinking you seek in erase in Buddhism and meditation.

Comments

• tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Its not about riding oneself of them... its about seeing them for what they truly are. So there is no issues working in science as long as you are working toward right view and right understanding. In fact, might even make you a better scientist, because you will be used to looking for your own biases.
    personpoptartRebeccaS
  • As an undergrad studying biology, so without the level of hands-on lab work that you're looking at, I've found Buddhism to be incredibly supportive of science, and vice versa.

For example, today in biochemistry we were discussing the situation that living organisms are made up of nonliving parts - atoms comprising metabolites comprising macromolecules all the way up to you and I. Atoms aren't alive, yet we are - and the atoms that make up you and I are the same atoms that make up a tree or a rock or any other person or thing - we're all connected in that way, and at the same time, we're all nothing.
    RebeccaS

• do you think people can meaningfully practice Buddhism while engaging in, for instance, graduate work in Biology.

Yes!
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I think you have a wrong idea of what Buddhism is about. It's not about removing rationalism - it's about seeing its limits. Once you see the limits, you can look beyond and find truth without rationality. But that doesn't mean you have to remove rationality. If you look around a corner, you don't have to remove the corner...
    RebeccaS
  • Short article, Tibetan Buddhism's Insights Into Virtual Reality (David Nichtern)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-nichtern/buddhism-singularity-virtual-reality_b_780414.html