Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Keeping cool !

Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
edited September 2012 in General Banter
Hi this is my first post but here goes. I can 99% percent of the time can keep calm but my gf just knows how to push my buttons and wind me up. I would like to know what on the spot calming techniques some of you have used to keep calm.

Many Thanks

Comments

• To keep cool, undo the buttons.
    karastijessie70ThailandTom
  • Following the breath is calming, but it will lead you through, not away from, your sensitivities, weak spots, old wounds, until you realise there's nothing that needs fixing and never was, and you let it all go.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited September 2012
    it also helps to remember she is behaving that way because of things she doesn't realize about herself yet. No matter what buttons she tries to press, it is always your choice to react in whatever way you do. She does it because your reaction is dependable and expected, and she gets something out of your reaction. Change your reaction and she'll change her behavior.
    PrairieGhostWisdom23MaryAnne
  • Everyone has those things that "push our buttons". I have been working on trying to stop myself, before reacting AT ALL. I think that's the key. Learning to pause- in everything, whether it's right before I eat that donut, speak harshly to someone, send the e-mail, or even just roll my eyes... PAUSE. Pema Chodron has a very good book, and you can read it 1 night called "Taking the Leap". She focuses on how we can get "unhooked". I recommend reading it, and trying to find the pause before just about everything you are doing. This has been what I've been up to lately myself.
    Wisdom23
  • Many Thanks to you all. You have given me much to think about. I am still fairly new to buddhism so am still learning the way. So once again many thanks.