Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation - eyes open - yes or no?

edited October 2012 in Meditation
It makes more sense to me to meditate with the eyes. When I close my eyes I tend to day dream. Also, meditating with the eyes open helps me to train the mind for mindfulness outside meditation.

Comments

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Eyes closed for me. I've been doing it that way for quite awhile now, and I'm not sure I could change even if I wanted to. I personally find closed-eyes blocks out any visual stimuli that might be distracting; sounds I can handle.
  • I've tried both and am currently practicing eyes open. Recently I read a Kandro Rinpoche teaching "Closing eyes only seems to facilitate practice; it brings only temporary one-pointedness. The eyes are the main gateways of distraction and need to be trained." My personal experience supports this.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Choose and establish a foundation practise in either one or the other. After you've established a strong meditative foundation, allow yourself the freedom to try the form you didn't first choose.
    With a strong meditation foundation you will see that the sense gate differences between having eyes open or closed are insignificant.
    Does anyone think that someone who is blind is in anyway meditatively handicapped over one who has eyes to see?
    budzen
  • Half open/half closed for me. :facepalm:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    how said:

Choose and establish a foundation practise in either one or the other. After you've established a strong meditative foundation, allow yourself the freedom to try the form you didn't first choose. With a strong meditation foundation you will see that the sense gate differences between having eyes open or closed are insignificant.

I agree. Different traditions have different approaches, and there are pros and cons. If in doubt, try it out!
  • deffo eyes shut as when i go deep into meditation focusing on my breath i sometimes forget where i am, what was around me sounds daft but i hope you get what i mean
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Eyes closed for me. I do try on occasion with eyes open, but I end up with sensory overload, I can't unfocus my eyes to let go of what I'm seeing (if that makes sense) I also am horrible and finding those images within an image types of things, lol. I know the point is to pick a focal point and stick to it, but it just doesn't happen for me. I have sensory integration issues, and I'm not sure if it has to do with that, or what. I should say, that when i say eyes closed I am talking actual sitting meditation. Obviously if I am practicing mindful meditation going about my day, my eyes are open ;) No one would want me to be going for a run or driving with my eyes closed! It's a different sort of meditation in that case though, my sitting meditation sets the stage for me to be able to be more mindful during the rest of my day. I should say that I do find myself in meditation situations like when I am sitting out in nature, having a break from a hike. But nature is naturally conducive to meditation for me, watching leaves fall, watching water in a stream, etc. Sitting on my living room floor staring at a carpet strand just does not have the same effect :D
    budzen
  • Eyes open for me. I have a five point and a four point.

Four:

awake like someone just broke dishes
    heart - there are feeling and a wish to be liberated
    present - in the emerging moment
    space - opening outward

All of those are strengthened by eyes open.

Five:

Be a friend to yourself
    See what is there
    Sit with difficult states
    Being in the present
    Making no big deal

Those also are helped by open eyes aside from the first.
    federicabudzen
  • I do whatever fits my mood at the time. If I'm feeling particularly anxious I'll probably keep my eyes open to take in the comfort of my surroundings. I also learned an eyes open meditation using the peripheral vision that I like because it can be done anywhere at all times. It doesn't require any special conditions like a place to sit or be safe and comfortable in with your eyes shut.

But I do sit down closed eye meditation too.

I do neither as often as I would like :lol:
    federicabudzen
  • Eyes open.
  • Both can be useful, but with eyes closed you can develop more focus and more calm. If you tend to daydream, you are not alone, but instead off trying to get rid of it by opening your eyes, try to find the reason of daydreaming and work on that; it's probably boredom with your meditation.
    budzen
  • There a various techniques for meditation... find the one that best the works for you. But always be open to something different. Change is always a good thing!
  • Let the eyes choose?
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I like Ajahn Chah's view on samadhi (the mental concentration or composing the mind). He says it can be practiced with eyes open or closed; sitting, walking, standing or lying down. As long as the mind is firmly focused with all-encompassing mindfulness, restraint and caution.

Remember, Buddha struggled with his mind for 5 years. It was only after 6 years that he awakened. We shouldn't get discouraged over "eyes."
    Jeffrey
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2012
    budzen said:

It makes more sense to me to meditate with the eyes. When I close my eyes I tend to day dream. Also, meditating with the eyes open helps me to train the mind for mindfulness outside meditation.

It can certainly be helpful. Some teachers suggest meditating with the eyes open, especially to help relieve sleepiness if one is starting to nod off, or if it helps the mind focus on its meditation object when one is more prone to seeing images and day-dreaming with them closed. I think one should always be willing to explore different techniques to see what works best for them in different situations since one method won't always be the most effective.
    Jeffreybudzen
  • no difference. vigilance is impermanent too. By staring fixidly images tend to disappear.
  • Sometimes we need to experiment to find what suits us...Some teachers advise " softening the eyes " ....not trying to be too focused, and looking at a spot on the floor two feet in front of the cushion with the eyes half closed..
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2012
    A soft focus is good advise for those who choose to meditate with the eyes open. It is the same with all the sense gates.
    One interesting point (in Soto Zen meditation) is that a soft focus just means allowing the eyes to be receptive over being actively investigative.
    The second point is to not unfocus on what is before you. Most eye open meditative daydreams are precipitated with a visual unfocusing or the slightest crossing of the eyes.
    Gently bringing ones sight back to just being attentive to being present is no different than the meditative approach to ear, nose, tongue, body or mind.
    JeffreyCitta
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jason said:

I think one should always be willing to explore different techniques to see what works best for them in different situations since one method won't always be the most effective.

I agree, it's good to be creative with our practice because we're all different.
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Soft focus. Good advice. Keep your eyes on your being, in other words be open in heart. Eyes can flutter as they will . . . gently does it . . .
  • I practice a 10-minute silent meditation with my eyes closed and a 20-minute active meditation which requires my eyes to be open. But, I am new to these practices so I am just experimenting, at this stage.