Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Stupid for choosing my college path?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited October 2012 in General Banter
Just recently, I had someone tell me that I was wasting my time with a Journalism degree and that no one will hire anyone with a Religion degree (I'm considering getting a Grad degree in Religion and Philosophy and maybe becoming a college professor). They then went on to say that I have no clue how college works since I even considered a degree in Religion and that "I'm" the reason why they believe parents should not pay for college (even though I'm going on loans and financial aid).

Is said individual just perpetuating wrong speech, or do they have some merit? I know I shouldn't really pay attention to those who say things just to be an ass (as opposed to actually being constructive), but hearing that I was wasting my time did actually kind of get to me.

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think that regardless of what you are interested in, you can find a way in the world to use it as long as you are dedicated and willing to work hard and can "sell" yourself to the appropriate people. I know a girl who majored in plant archaeology, and she has a great job, in her field. I know a girl who majored in Russian Literature. She works at a museum and is perfectly happy. I myself majored in criminology, and I'm a stay at home mom. It just depends what you envision spending your time doing, and sometimes it's hard to separate that from your interests. I have a million interests, most of them I wouldn't want to spend a lifetime doing as a career. If you found something you can do that with, then go for it. But be willing to work hard. I think if someone was really speaking with merit, they would find a better way to have a constructive conversation with you than "you are wasting your time." If it's important to you for the right reasons, you aren't wasting your time.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2012
    If it's what you're interested in learning and want to try and make a career out of, then you're not stupid for trying. What's the point of spending all that time and money learning something if it's not something you enjoy and/or are passionate about?
    DaltheJigsawKundo
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Wow, @DaftChris, this just sounds like a very aggressive attack against you. TOTAL wrong speech! This sounds like a bully! How cruel to say that YOU're the reason they believe parents shouldn't send kids to college. (That's a lie, btw. Read on: )

To put it into perspective a bit, there's a movement on the Republican side to declare college a waste of money, and unnecessary. Seriously. The world has gone mad, at least a significant corner of it in the US. So this sounds like it was partly a political rant, even though they made it sound very personal. Let it roll off your back.

A career in academia is a valid choice, and can be rewarding. How can you have "no idea how college works" when you're IN COLLEGE? You're in the middle of it, of course you know how it works!

I'm so sad this happened to you. Look, you've got to get a degree in something, you may as well get in a field you love. An MA is a good idea, too, because in a down economy, only the MA's are getting jobs these days, at least--halfway meaningful jobs. BA's are just getting coffee barrista and cashier jobs. :(

Go see the graduate student adviser in the Religion Department, and ask about career options. Ask about the availability of college teaching jobs in that field. Do some research, and rally some support. Make use of the resources the college offers--the academic advisers. If there's a faculty graduate adviser, see him/her, too. Explain you're planning to go to grad school in religion after you finish your BA. Are you taking some religion courses now? The advisers can tell you if certain courses are required in order to qualify for admission as an MA candidate.

And by all means, keep on keepin' on! :thumbsup:
    JeffreyKundo
  • I'm of the opinion that education of any kind is never wasted. Whatever helps to develop you as a person is worthwhile. Keep an open mind about your future prospects and be willing to take what is offered and remember life is a long haul, you never know where your choices will take you eventually.

Whatever the intentions of your critic you are showing wisdom in considering their words, but opinions are ten a penny and you should always do what your heart tells you regardless of what anyone thinks.
    Kundo
  • To paraphrase Stephen Fry, a good employer would rather hire someone who is educated to someone who is trained.

You may not get rich, but does this world really need more people learning to sell useless trinkets?
    DaltheJigsaw
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    DaftChris said:

Just recently, I had someone tell me that I was wasting my time with a Journalism degree and that no one will hire anyone with a Religion degree (I'm considering getting a Grad degree in Religion and Philosophy and maybe becoming a college professor).

Is said individual just perpetuating wrong speech, or do they have some merit?

I know I shouldn't really pay attention to those who say things just to be an ass (as opposed to actually being constructive), but hearing that I was wasting my time did actually kind of get to me.

His delivery needs some work! An opinion is however just an opinion... there are so many to choose from ;)

If you consider merit in your life as graded on a scale of efficiency (i.e. how efficiently you study in a knowledge acquiring:money acquiring ratio) then perhaps what has been communicated to you does have merit - in the sense that other degrees / occupations may yield higher cash for less effort or just higher gross cash - keep an eye on your markets!

It's your time - how could you 'waste' it while you're alive and experiencing things? Go with your heart - if you enjoy what you are learning and you are doing what you are naturally doing then things will come together for you - people can advise you but they don't live your life.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Jason said:

If it's what you're interested in learning and want to try and make a career out of, then you're not stupid for trying. What's the point of spending all that time and money learning something if it's not something you enjoy and/or are passionate about?

I think Jason is on the right path here. But let me add a thought.

If your main interest is journalism...go for it. After all, there will always be a need for journalists, but things are shifting away from print media. So, where possible, I would suggest taking courses that would slant more toward the emerging aspects of journalism.

I think the other thing you should consider is what your minor or second degree is. Make that in a field that is more practical (if we are assuming journalism is less practical), but with which there is still a tie in.

Some of my most successful teachers (I was a school principal before I retired) took that path. One, for example, had a degree is political science (which some thought was not practical), but had an excellent job on Capitol Hill for many years. Then she fell back on teaching history when she needed a change or didn't like the feel of how things were going politically.

And my other piece of advice -- stick with the journalism, but be an absolutely top student. When there are limited jobs in a field, it's the most outstanding candidates that will get those jobs.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Well, I have been there...My degree is BS in Psychology and without a Masters I am screwed. I was originally going to major in English. Nevertheless, retracted back, as I have always had fascination with human mind. For your degree in Journalism, I suggest you look into online writing, many websites out there need Journalist. Most likely the pay will be low, but perhaps you can focus on getting the experience by writing for websites, blogs, online magazines and online websites. I have done this for about 6 months and was paid for my writings; while it was great...the pay was definitely not that great. I was able to make around $500 a month from my Freelance Writing Business. There are options, but one needs to do research. One last thing, do what you think makes you happy, yes you should look into the market and make the best decision and investment, but you also need to make a decision based on enjoyment. One needs to find a balance!
  • He was harsh, but he has a point. My wife is doing a PhD in religion, so she knows the market pretty well. It is quite dire.

I left academia recently. A modern university is always struggling to make money. Departments and people which bring in money accrue power. Departments which don't are shrinking, and giving more and more work to adjunct faculty, get pretty seriously shafted.
    Jeffrey
  • Oops, "who get pretty seriously shafted."
  • fivebells said:

He was harsh, but he has a point. My wife is doing a PhD in religion, so she knows the market pretty well. It is quite dire.

Not to kill your hopes, @DaftChris, but Fivebells has a point, in that for decades now, and it's only getting worse in this economy, state legislatures have continuously undermined public universities by chronically forcing budget cuts. However, some public universities have met the challenge by setting up donation funds, and milking alumns and retired faculty to keep faculty positions funded. The department where I used to work was so successful at this, that over the years since I left, they've actually added several faculty positions, in spite of budget cuts. And then, there are private universities, too, some of which are adding faculty positions. Some public universities have filled tenure-track faculty positions with adjunct faculty or even grad student Teaching Assistants more and more (U of Calif. is notorious for this), others have not done so. With just an MA, you'll be adjunct faculty material, anyway. For tenure track positions, you'll need a PhD.

So, it's good to be forewarned, but I want to give you a little hope, too. Also, bear in mind that the current Religion faculty will be retiring at some point, so openings will come up. Competition will be stiff, as always, but with great grades, a good publishing record during your MA career, lots of networking at professional conferences (a must!), and a degree from the right university, you'll be competitive.

Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    A journey should have a destination. On the other hand nothing is ever wasted. If you have every material good other than happiness you are worse off than having little material goods yet no happiness. I mean that from less a romantic vision than a practical vision.
  • It depends on your goal. I mean, they do sort of have a point... I work in retail, an entry-level position requiring nothing more than being older than 18, and one of the people I worked with (who, granted, did move up to become a manager) had a bachelor's in history, and another who was my equal (with no degree) had a masters in philosophy.

What can you actually do with a religion degree, other than teach? Getting an education is great, but at some point you have to consider what is the point of getting said education - especially with how expensive it is nowadays. People go to very pricey 4-year institutions to get a degree in art history, and then don't even make enough to pay back their loans if they're lucky to find a job? What's the point?

They were probably just pissed off about their own college experience, though. People often have very misguided ideas about what happens when school is over and they have to transition into the real-world. Don't let them get to you, though. Having a degree after your name never hurts, and especially with journalism, you learn a lot about your field and will have skills that are difficult to develop on your own unless you have a TON of free time :)
  • DaftChris:
    Just recently, I had someone tell me that I was wasting my time with a Journalism degree and that no one will hire anyone with a Religion degree (I'm considering getting a Grad degree in Religion and Philosophy and maybe becoming a college professor).
    In today's economy it is likely that you will not find the job that you are trained for, not even as a college professor.

My friend Philip has a degree in journalism. He doesn't take no for an answer—but jobs in this area are tough to find. So he went to Paris, studied at a culinary institute for two years with the best France had to offer and became a chef. In addition, he worked with a number of great chefs (estage). He is not going to be a millionaire, but a new restaurant is opening and he is the featured chef.

I know graduates who have become mixologists, who started a coffee shop (where I hang out), who are designing clothing for cyclists (a friend of mine), and so on. Don't be afraid to go to Paris. :)
    VastmindDaltheJigsaw
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Well, as a bone fide college dropout ;D All I want to say is that college is more about learning how to train yourself to do amazing things than anything else. Do what you love and don't worry about some guy's opinions of what you are doing -- lashback for following your dreams is common from people who are too afraid to follow theirs at the moment, at least that's what I says.

And I think that most people end up having jobs/careers that slowly or quickly branch out and away from whatever their degree was. Not like the title of the degree will have any say on your personality, your skills, or what you value as an individual. Heck, you could get a degree that says Ice Hockey Spectator and you could still become the CEO of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Why fret about the words on the paper when it's all about developing and investing in yourself (and your ability to serve others by being awesome in the first place !) ?

In Japan, for example, any college student will tell you that they are studying something that they love or are very interested in -- the jobs they get are almost always unrelated to what they studied in school -- in the US there is this sort of illusion that you need a degree that corresponds to what sort of work you want -- but that's simply not the case.

If you're really looking for confidence, help others find confidence in themselves ^.^ A smile, a compliment, a word of encouragement can go a long, long, long-long-Longlonglonglonglong way.

I'm sova and I approve this message xD
  • sova said:

Well, as a bone fide college dropout ;D All I want to say is that college is more about learning how to train yourself to do amazing things than anything else. Do what you love and don't worry about some guy's opinions of what you are doing -- lashback for following your dreams is common from people who are too afraid to follow theirs at the moment, at least that's what I says.

HOT post! (There's no button for that.)
  • Do whatever course interests you and take it from there, you will enjoy it and find use for it at some point. I'm now on my third part-time degree and with each one I specialize a little bit more in my career. You may study religion and philosophy and find one aspect you really like and do further study in a narrowed down field. Don't let anyone else choose your career path for you.
  • Hi, amandathetexan:
    What can you actually do with a religion degree, other than teach? Getting an education is great, but at some point you have to consider what is the point of getting said education - especially with how expensive it is nowadays. People go to very pricey 4-year institutions to get a degree in art history, and then don't even make enough to pay back their loans if they're lucky to find a job? What's the point?
    To learn about art history? Art fosters depth of thought and feeling, which serves us well in all our endeavours.
    poptart
  • Education isn't just about earning money.
    Kundosova
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    poptart said:

Education isn't just about earning money.

That's very true. But at an average cost of $21,447- $42,224 per year (at public and private colleges, respectively), you do have to be wise about what you take, and balance subjective and objective aspects of the endeavor.

• Yes, education isn't just about earning money, but then, you don't need to enrol in college to get an education. You only need to do that if you also need a credential.
    amandathetexanJeffrey
  • @PrairieGhost, I was going to say what fivebells said well. Learning is wonderful and great and essential to us all. Formal education is NOT necessary for learning, especially at the university level, especially if the use of it is only for fostering depth of thought (which one can pursue on their own). There is a very important distinction between learning and education that many people ignore.

People are going into so much debt over their college education, and not thinking about how they are going to pay it back. If you get a degree in the arts, for instance, especially a bachelor's, you will have a much harder time earning enough to just repay your debt than, say, someone who is taking a profession-specific path and has a plan.

Education at the university level is all about earning money, because it costs so damned much. I would LOVE to go to college forever, and take classes on writing and art and languages, but I cannot afford it (in money spent as well as money not being earned for my family while I'm studying), and I cannot justify taking out obscene loans or asking others to sacrifice to pay for me to learn things when the information is free and I can learn those things on my own. What I cannot do on my own is make an acceptable piece of paper that says "Amanda graduated this school with this degree, and has completed an education program." which is required in many fields, and the only practical need to get one is for employment. It doesn't make one a better person or smarter, it just looks good or fills a requirement for an employer.

I went to one of the pricier universities in Texas last year (which was a huge mistake), and there were a ton of 18-year-olds that were studying art (not even studio art, but art history), and I'm sorry, but I see that as a possible wreck. An 18-year-old deciding that $47,000 of (at that school, this was true) their parent's money a year is worth them learning about art history. I didn't know what I wanted to do at 18, and so I didn't commit but dabbled in many things on a lower scale.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    University education teaches critical skills, especially in humanities subjects. These are life skills which require mentoring and are very difficult (not impossible) to acquire autodidactically; they also equip us for a flexible labour market. Training in one skill without a foundation in critical thinking will leave us on the scrapheap when technology or the economy changes.

A lack of familiarity with the humanities also leaves us unable to contribute our voices to political discourse, as the political landscape, and the various competing narratives within the history of that landscape, are at the core of all humanities subjects. It is easy to marginalise the ignorant.

For corporations who are looking to make short term profits, I agree: it's better for them to have specialised and narrowly trained workers. It is far better for us to be well-educated than well-trained.

I agree that the consideration of cost is changing our relationship with education. I am still amazed that in the UK the decision was made to charge money for university education at all; it signifies my country's decline.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I visited an adviser and he brought up an interesting idea.

He said that, while academia is a great place to work, and simultaneously learn, budget cuts (especially public universities) prevent a lot of qualified people from getting a good job. Also, if you do get hired, you'll more than likely only get part-time; which will not pay the bills.

He recommended this:

If I want a grad degree in religion that will be useful, then I should get an undergrad in Sociology, Psychology, or Communications. Then get a Masters in Theology/Divinity and become a chaplain or counselor. Of course, he said I should actually talk to chaplains and religious counselors to get an idea of what the field and job market are like.

What do you think?
  • I think pretty much what I said before: I know public universities who are NOT hiring part-time, but full-time, and who have expanded some of their academic departments in spite of budget cuts from the state. But the more important question is: what do YOU want to do? Does chaplaincy appeal to you? There are Buddhist chaplaincy programs around the US, btw. What kind of chaplaincy or religious counseling would you be interested in--what religion: Western or Buddhist?

I know someone who's a religious counselor. She's semi-retired now, so only working part-time out of her home, but she finds it very rewarding. Do you like working one-on-one with people, and helping people? Are you a "people person", for whom counseling would be a good fit? Lots of food for thought, here.
    @Dakini

1.) The religion would focus on would be Buddhism (all schools, but more particularly Vajrayana/Tibetan) and Unitarian Universalism.

2.) I do like people, and I like helping people emotionally and intellectually; just not at my current job (retail cashiering). Once I leave retail and follow my own path, I'll start liking people a lot more.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • @DaftChris Oh, I remember now, the UU angle. That's actually a good idea. I think UU churches are gaining popularity, because they're not dogmatic, and not even all that strictly Christian, and some include Buddhist teachings and meditation. Whether or not there are spiritual counseling jobs in the Buddhist realm, I don't know. But I bet you'll figure out how to combine the two, and make it work, when you get closer to your goal.

So, if you're into Vajrayana/Tibetan, why not study Tibetan? If your school doesn't offer it, there's a 2-year university course in Tibetan available from Snow Lion Press (Google it), in Ithaca, NY. It's a package of CD's and textbook for around $150. That'll get you started, at least, and you can proceed at your own pace. However, classical Tibetan, the language of the religious texts, is a bit different, is more challenging, and would require an instructor and a dictionary to tackle successfully. It's a very old language, and is highly idiomatic, which means you have to look up entire phrases at a time, because translating word-for-word as with spoken Tibetan doesn't help you make sense of it.

It seems like you're going to have a really full plate, pretty ambitious. Best wishes for success and hapiness~!
    DaftChris
    edited October 2012
    I actually spoke with a UU representative and they said that it doesn't matter what my undergrad is, as long as I get the masters in Religion. There are official UU chaplains, so they are fully recognized and the UU church has connections to the school of Theology at Harvard.

I think I've found my path. Still have to make absolutely sure though.
    Jason
  • That's very cool, @DaftChris! Wow, that must be a weight off your shoulders! Now you can relax, and enjoy your education experience. I'm actually intrigued by your choice. I hope you stick with us for some time, so we can get updates as to how your path is going. :thumbsup:
    DaftChris
  • poptart said:

If you're a trust fund kid, yes. If you have connections, yes. But who will pay your medical bills when you're older (or such emergency problems)?
    DaltheJigsaw
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

poptart said:

If you're a trust fund kid, yes. If you have connections, yes. But who will pay your medical bills when you're older (or such emergency problems)?
    I think the gist was more along the lines of: if you choose a career JUST because it'll bring in a good, steady paycheck, you could wind up in a job you hate for the rest of your life. It's been done. On the other hand, the old saw of "following your bliss" may sound a bit too airy-fairy for students facing today's brutal economy. The trick is to find a happy medium, a Middle Way.

:)

DaltheJigsaw
  • I tried looking at jobs just in terms of the paycheck... I'm a smart girl, I can pretty much take my pick when it comes to employment and getting any education that's required to make it happen. But then I realized that I couldn't dedicate my life to something that I didn't care about or didn't have much of an interest in.

We spend so much of our lives working, it seems quite sad to just do something for the sake of it.

If you have the freedom to do something meaningful to you then I think you should take advantage of it. Some people have too many constraints on them - families to take care of, mortgages to pay - to get out of their jobs and go back to school or to take the risk of quitting to pursue their dreams.

Having the freedom to think about it a little and do what's required to have the kind of job you find fulfilling is quite a blessing.

Of course, there is a balance, and you need to keep a roof over your head, and sometimes we're just not suited to our dreams (see any American Idol auditions on YouTube) so a healthy dose of common sense is a useful thing to have :lol:
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    One thing worth looking at is more alternative "religious" colleges. Right now, my son is tenatively planning on attending Naropa in Colorado, which is a Buddhist-based college founded by Chogyam Trungpa. It's quite an amazing place, and I like it the most for it's ability to see people for more than just their GPA and ACT test score. He isn't looking to major in a theology/religion based field, but more so ecology/environmental studies. I've been there before and know several people who have attended there and came away with an excellent experience. He's not quite 16 so we have some time, and he's actually quite the budding physicist so Naropa might not work if he changes his course, but it's easy to over look places like that in favor of more talked about universities/colleges.

He and I actually talked about this just tonight, because the counseling office at his school only focuses on the more popular majors, and anyone on the outskirts of that has to work pretty hard to figure out what possibilities exist. I would have taken a far different path in my college career (and probably even used my expensive degree) had I know what the options where when I was making choices.
    Sile
  • Dakini said:

music said:

poptart said:

I think the gist was more along the lines of: if you choose a career JUST because it'll bring in a good, steady paycheck, you could wind up in a job you hate for the rest of your life. It's been done. On the other hand, the old saw of "following your bliss" may sound a bit too airy-fairy for students facing today's brutal economy. The trick is to find a happy medium, a Middle Way.

If countries the world over had some sort of welfare programs, especially in education, housing, and healthcare, then an individual could confidently pursue his interests not worrying about his next meal or about falling sick, and so on. But in this scary world, your life and even your dignity revolve around money, so finding a happy medium would not be easy.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    We don't always end up with a career in the area in which we got our degree. I have a step-son who got his Bachelor's in Comparative Religion. The requirement was a university degree in anything. He has been there for almost a decade, married a Korean girl and they have started their family.

When you get that degree, you are showing potential employers in ANY field that:
    1. You can understand instructions and can meet deadlines
    2. You can gather information, analyze it, understand it, and communicate it to others
    3. You can think on your own
    These are invaluable qualities for many employers.

If you end up working at what you got your degree in, this is fortunate. But understand that unless your degree is in
    Business,
    Computer Science,
    Education, or
    one of the professions (engineering, law, medicine, dentistry, accounting ... where you must be a member of your profession to practice it)
    ... that you might very easily end up doing something else for your career.

Wasting your time? Who knows .. that is always seen only in hindsight.
    Even if your education were to end up being no help in a career (which is highly unlikely), having learned how to understand information, to actually understand our world, to evaluate what is happening, to be able see through public scams and lies ... this is never a waste of our time.
    WE are our own only asset in life. It never hurts to invest in ourselves, and such an investment should not be based on $$$.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    karasti said:

One thing worth looking at is more alternative "religious" colleges. Right now, my son is tenatively planning on attending Naropa in Colorado, which is a Buddhist-based college founded by Chogyam Trungpa. It's quite an amazing place, and I like it the most for it's ability to see people for more than just their GPA and ACT test score. He isn't looking to major in a theology/religion based field, but more so ecology/environmental studies. I've been there before and know several people who have attended there and came away with an excellent experience. He's not quite 16 so we have some time, and he's actually quite the budding physicist so Naropa might not work if he changes his course, but it's easy to over look places like that in favor of more talked about universities/colleges.

He and I actually talked about this just tonight, because the counseling office at his school only focuses on the more popular majors, and anyone on the outskirts of that has to work pretty hard to figure out what possibilities exist. I would have taken a far different path in my college career (and probably even used my expensive degree) had I know what the options where when I was making choices.

Great that you mentioned that! As I'm completing my BS in Psychology from University of Phoenix on Campus. And it has been an amazing 2 years! I went to Community College for 3 and chose the right path for me.
  • I don't think it is stupid to do what you enjoy but a journalism degree sounds very marketable to me. The degree on Religion and Philosophy would probably feed the hungry soul, that is if Buddhists believe in soul. I think the late martial arts artist,Bruce Lee has a degree in Philosophy and he was very successful as an actor. Maybe, you'd be a successful journalist. And I have a friend who did a master in Buddhism. He however earned a living using another more marketable degree. You could do that too.
  • music said:

Dakini said:

music said:

poptart said:

If countries the world over had some sort of welfare programs, especially in education, housing, and healthcare, then an individual could confidently pursue his interests not worrying about his next meal or about falling sick, and so on. But in this scary world, your life and even your dignity revolve around money, so finding a happy medium would not be easy.
    Uh...what are you saying? @DaftChris should just go for a high-paying career even if he hates it? :confused:

Become a stock-broker, DC. End of dilemma. :rolleyes:
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    music said:

Depends on how you rate the things that interest you and what you personally consider is the point of your life.

The belly is always hungry and sickness is always just around the corner - what we do with the calm inbetween is different for each who experiences it - finding a static happy medium in a changing environment is challenging.. so what of a relative happy medium - does that require all plans to have born fruit already or can it be a moment by moment affair?