Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Grey/White Hair at 24!

I was shaving this morning and realized I have a white hair on my chin, very distinct and yes very white. Kind of a shock considering I am just 24 years old lol. I think I have seen it before so it is no freak, one off hair.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    A (girl) schoolfriend of mine went completely white on the head by the age of 19.
    It's genetic.
  • federica said:

A (girl) schoolfriend of mine went completely white on the head by the age of 19.
    It's genetic.

Could be a white xmas in Thailand then federica :lol: I am not ashamed by it or mortified, just kind of shocked and thought 24 was a bit early. I guess not.
  • One word: anicca
    Another word: garnier.
    ThailandTomRebeccaSpersonyamada
  • Screw it, I have more important things to involve myself with I guess.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Tom, it's all that wild living in Thailand! :D

But seriously, look at it this way -- my hair stayed very dark brown until I was well into my 50s...but I started having a receding hair line when I was about your age. Given the choice...I'd take the gray hair! ;)
  • I guess so, I have kind of receding hairline, not so much though. I think it is either stress, genetics or ecstasy. There was a study that ecstasy can cause early onset of greying of the hair, and I took a lot of the stuff in my teens. This bag-o-bones is falling apart hehe
  • The body isn't really all that attractive to begin with, the only thing to negate is the attachment to it.

With the release of such delusions a measure of liberation is had.
    DaltheJigsawFullCirclecaz
  • I have always been able to find a few grey hairs, even as a small child. I think that some hair follicles just loose pigment. Perhaps the opposite of a mole, but in your hair? lol
    Actually, it's interesting...apparently grey hair is a result of a natural build up of hydrogen peroxide in the hair follicle that literally dyes the hair.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited October 2012
    So it is similar to a mole... since they are build ups of melanin. Interesting.
    At least that's what I heard the other day...but I'm not claiming any personal scientific knowledge about it.
  • I am not bothered by it making me look less beautiful just for the record, I couldn't give a f*ck about that aat the moment, it just shocked me is all considering my age.
  • Thanks for the link. This is one hair though, so far. So where am I being exposed to all this hydrogen peroxide? There are many other factors that can cause grey hair.
    What bothered me a lot was when my first chest hair went gray. We won't go any further than that!
    DairyLamaThailandTom
  • I am not bothered by it making me look less beautiful just for the record, I couldn't give a f*ck about that aat the moment, it just shocked me is all considering my age.

It is better to be bothered than to make believe one is not.

It is better to be bothered than to make believe one is not.
    I guess so, it depends how you look at it. We have created an ideal for what beauty should be, so for those who believe they are not I guess, no I know it sucks. But anyway, @Vinyln I have a hairy chest, I am a very hairy man but I shave because I find it annoying. When they start to go grey I know the warning signs for code red!
  • There is an antidote for whatever ailment, that is the true beauty my friend :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    federica said:

It's genetic.

Wow!
  • ZeroZero Veteran

shocked me is all considering my age.

Those that go grey early tend to keep all their hair in later life - plus you can adopt the title 'silver fox'... double-brucy-bonus
  • Yeah, I've known people who started going grey at 12, male and female.
  • I guess this is karma for calling this kid at school the milky bar kid as he had such blonde hair it was basically white :p I know karma doesn't work like that, just fooling around.

Anyway this is just one hair, I will report back if I see more.
  • One hair. :rolleyes: The things people freak out about. Be grateful you have your health, a roof over your head, and now, a paid project.

:)
  • I have a cousin, he was born with grey hair, silverish almost....
  • Dakini said:

One hair. :rolleyes: The things people freak out about. Be grateful you have your health, a roof over your head, and now, a paid project.

:)

I didn't freakout lol, I was just shocked that I had a grey hair when I was meant to be in my prime, well not even in my prime yet. I didn't start running around like a girl screaming omg omg omg. I just took it for what it was after the initial shock.
    vinlyn
  • At least youve got hair .Im bald as a coot.
    DairyLama
    zither said:

At least youve got hair .Im bald as a coot.

I'm very bald...though not as bald as a coot. ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2012

I didn't start running around like a girl screaming omg omg omg.

@ThailandTom:

Er... EXCUSE ME!!
    I'm a 'girl', and I can promise you I have never "run around screaming omg omg omg" - !!

How dare you insinuate we're all wimpish, superficial woossy impressionable feebles! We're not the ones freaking out over ONE GREY HAIR ON THE CHIN!!

:lol: (way to go, let's start a rumble!! :D )
    Dakini
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I"m 36 and I have a decent spot of gray above my eyebrow. I keep my hair short so it's not usually noticeable, but after 2 years of short (really short) hair I'm growing it back out and it's much more noticeable. My first instinct was "crap! now I'm going to look older than I really am!" but I don't really care. I have a husband, it's not like I'm trying to impress or attract someone. FWIW, my husband is 28 and he gets a gray hair on occasion on his facial hair, and has for a while now but it's never turned into anythin more than the random occasional hair. I hope when I'm old, I have that blindingly white silky hair that some people get, lol.
  • White hair has alway's been the sign of wisdom. In many nations that use the British system of law, the white wigs were represent of permission to pass the bar. So, you could be attaining wisdom early; or . . . you could be just getting old like the rest of us. :coffee:
    karasti
  • JohnG said:

White hair has alway's been the sign of wisdom.

Steve Martin must then be the Socrates of our times.
    Zero
  • music said:

JohnG said:

I like his band. He plays the banjo! :)
  • RebeccaS said:

music said:

JohnG said:

I like his band. He plays the banjo! :)
    Who Socrates? I thought Socrates only played the electric guitar.
  • karasti said:

I"m 36 and I have a decent spot of gray above my eyebrow. I keep my hair short so it's not usually noticeable, but after 2 years of short (really short) hair I'm growing it back out and it's much more noticeable. My first instinct was "crap! now I'm going to look older than I really am!" but I don't really care. I have a husband, it's not like I'm trying to impress or attract someone. FWIW, my husband is 28 and he gets a gray hair on occasion on his facial hair, and has for a while now but it's never turned into anythin more than the random occasional hair. I hope when I'm old, I have that blindingly white silky hair that some people get, lol.

A streak of grey can look really cool, kind of dramatic. Some people grey in a way that makes them look "distinguished", not "old". Oh well. Whatever. Another opportunity to practice non-attachment.