Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Most Compassionate Actions

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited October 2012 in General Banter
So I made the thread to confess our sins, now maybe it is time for the positive. What have you done that has helped someones life directly in some profound way?

I will start, I was walking home here in Thailand some months ago and maybe 50 feet ahead of me I saw a tuktuk lose control and slam into a wall, so I ran over. I found that there was a western couple of about 55-60 in the back. Tuktuks don't have seatbelts and the woman and had obviously come off worse physically and emotionally, I could see this almost right away. It is interesting how you react in such situations. Anyway I tried to calm her down and reasure her that she will be fine and that the hospital is really close, which it was. The driver of the tuktuk seemed a bit clueless at what to do so in Thai I asked him to get a towel or some fabric so I could help to stop the bleeding from her leg. The man was sat in the tuktuk still and I asked him a few questions, he appeared ok but a bit dazed so I made sure to keep a converstion of sorts going with him.

The woman wanted an ambulence to come and pick them up but that would take a while to come and there was a new tuktuk passing by that had stopped. She was scared to get in it and could not see the logic of the situation, she needed to get to the hospital faster the better. I finally convinced her to get in the tuktuk, she was still crying a little and me and the driver helped the elderly man in after. They got driven off and that was the last I saw of any of them. I carried on my way home and let what happened sink in. The road is not too busy but there are a few bikes and cars that use it and at fairly high speeds at times. Every time I walk up that road on the same side I can still see the 2 blood stains on the concrete even up until this day.
PrairieGhostlobster

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    This may sound mysterious, but the one act (actually a group of connected acts) I am most proud of happened about 6 years ago...and it is something I have only shared with one other person. Yet, it said more about my character and willingness to take risks for others than anything else I have done in my entire life.
    lobster
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I stopped a man from raping a woman, and waited with her till the police arrived. He was still hanging round the corner waiting for me to go, so they arrested him.

It started because I saw her crying in a phone booth, and something about it didn't look right. So I asked her if she was ok, and she said no, this guy had tried to rape her in her flat, beaten up her boyfriend, and she had run away to call the police, which she was now doing. Suddenly she froze and looked over my shoulder, I turned round and this fat drunk guy was coming up the road towards us. I walked very firmly and calmly towards him and told him he couldn't go near her. He blustered for a while and then I got him to move in an arc around us till eventually he left. He was bigger than me, and I'm not much of a fighter, but I was very still and strong; I felt like a smooth stone.

I did have friends with me, including one male friend, but it was I who took the initiative, and for what it's worth, with no false modesty, the credit is mine.
    vinlynzombiegirlThailandTomlobster
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @PrairieGhost Having been on the opposite side of a similar situation, I just wanted to say thank you. There have been a few times in my life that I have been very thankful that there was a 'good guy' around.
  • vinlyn:
    This may sound mysterious, but the one act (actually a group of connected acts) I am most proud of happened about 6 years ago...and it is something I have only shared with one other person. Yet, it said more about my character and willingness to take risks for others than anything else I have done in my entire life.
    Did it have anything to do with a hollowed out volcano and a guy with a cat?

You can't leave it at that!
  • @PrairieGhost wow that is couragest and very unselfish, not everyone would do such a thing, rapists can be really really dangerous. I guess we do not know how we will react in such situations until they are there in front of us.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Wow...that's weird!
    PrairieGhost
  • Hi zombiegirl:
    @PrairieGhost Having been on the opposite side of a similar situation, I just wanted to say thank you. There have been a few times in my life that I have been very thankful that there was a 'good guy' around.
    Probably not the best time to mention my acts of valour during the zombie apocalypse ;) .
    zombiegirllobster
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    ThailandTom:
    I will start, I was walking home here in Thailand some months ago and maybe 50 feet ahead of me I saw a tuktuk lose control and slam into a wall, so I ran over. I found that there was a western couple of about 55-60 in the back. Tuktuks don't have seatbelts and the woman and had obviously come off worse physically and emotionally, I could see this almost right away. It is interesting how you react in such situations. Anyway I tried to calm her down and reasure her that she will be fine and that the hospital is really close, which it was. The driver of the tuktuk seemed a bit clueless at what to do so in Thai I asked him to get a towel or some fabric so I could help to stop the bleeding from her leg. The man was sat in the tuktuk still and I asked him a few questions, he appeared ok but a bit dazed so I made sure to keep a converstion of sorts going with him.

The woman wanted an ambulence to come and pick them up but that would take a while to come and there was a new tuktuk passing by that had stopped. She was scared to get in it and could not see the logic of the situation, she needed to get to the hospital faster the better. I finally convinced her to get in the tuktuk, she was still crying a little and me and the driver helped the elderly man in after. They got driven off and that was the last I saw of any of them. I carried on my way home and let what happened sink in. The road is not too busy but there are a few bikes and cars that use it and at fairly high speeds at times. Every time I walk up that road on the same side I can still see the 2 blood stains on the concrete even up until this day.
    Awesome presence of mind. You were the one who was awake in that situation.

The clarity of your memory attests to it.

I predict that the skillful things we recall will all have, in memory, the quality of us lacking ownership of the action, and not being able to feel as if we own it even if we want to.

Whereas the unskillful ones will have qualities of both owning the action, and feeling unable to disown it, even if we want to.