Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Underestimating resistance

TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existenceSamsara Veteran
edited August 2012 in Philosophy
From a recent Tricycle article (Summer 2012) I was reading,"breaking through" by Ezra Bayda page 80-83. In it he describes three obstacles to our practice; misunderstanding the depth of waking sleep, underestimating resistance and wanting to feel a particular way. Of interest I found this quote as it relates to myself and maybe forums. He states " yet another, more subtle form of resistance is thinking and talking about practice rather than actually experiencing our life. Thinking and talking about practice are easy substitutes for the real effort that a practice life requires." By being here are we simply solidifying our views of self and positions we take, rather than realizing all our talking is just thinking, and our thinking is just more delusion? Something I will meditate on for awhile.
All my best to all of you,
Todd
Edit* Found the article on Tricycle: http://www.tricycle.com/practice/breaking-through
Jeffreyjessie70lobsterWisdom23

Comments

• If we practice to stay in samsara then indulging our senses, including indulging in sexuality and gluttony (yep, beer drinking too—getting hammered) is part of our practice, along with going to our Dharma center once a week. On the other hand, if we practice to transcend the world of samsara and with it, non-enlightenment (avidya), then practice is much different. As part of the practice, we must wean ourself off of the mundane seeing it to be like a burning house (Lotus Sutra, chapter iii)
    Jeffrey
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Songhill said:

If we practice to stay in samsara then indulging our senses, including indulging in sexuality and gluttony (yep, beer drinking too—getting hammered) is part of our practice, along with going to our Dharma center once a week. On the other hand, if we practice to transcend the world of samsara and with it, non-enlightenment (avidya), then practice is much different. As part of the practice, we must wean ourself off of the mundane seeing it to be like a burning house (Lotus Sutra, chapter iii)

I definitely think there's some truth to that. I get stuck practicing to 'stay in samsara' a lot more often than I'd care to admit. Hanging around places like this at least helps to keep my mind on the Dhamma until I motivate myself to get serious about my practice again. And again. And again. :p
  • Jason:
    I definitely think there's some truth to that. I get stuck practicing to 'stay in samsara' a lot more often than I'd care to admit. Hanging around places like this at least helps to keep my mind on the Dhamma until I motivate myself to get serious about my practice again. And again. And again.
    Even though I am pushing 70, almost all of my friends are under 25. I have a pretty good idea what they go through—I mean we go out together quite a bit. Temptation is huge for them (I pretty much know all of their crazy adventures). I would say that if you do just a little bit of Buddhism everyday, Buddhism will give you a great learning adventure like no other. :)

lobster
  • Jason said:

Songhill said:

If we practice to stay in samsara then indulging our senses, including indulging in sexuality and gluttony (yep, beer drinking too—getting hammered) is part of our practice, along with going to our Dharma center once a week. On the other hand, if we practice to transcend the world of samsara and with it, non-enlightenment (avidya), then practice is much different. As part of the practice, we must wean ourself off of the mundane seeing it to be like a burning house (Lotus Sutra, chapter iii)

I definitely think there's some truth to that. I get stuck practicing to 'stay in samsara' a lot more often than I'd care to admit. Hanging around places like this at least helps to keep my mind on the Dhamma until I motivate myself to get serious about my practice again. And again. And again. :p
    Samsara is nirvana
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

He states " yet another, more subtle form of resistance is thinking and talking about practice rather than actually experiencing our life. Thinking and talking about practice are easy substitutes for the real effort that a practice life requires."

I think it's the practice of mindfulness which cuts through this kind of thing. Even if it's just to be mindful of our provaracation. ;)
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    chenjie said:

Samsara is nirvana

@chenjie , what sect of Buddhism do you follow, that says that? I've heard it before in Nichiren Buddhism I think.
  • "zen" I suppose...dunno. Heard it in Nichiren? cool!
  • Some of the schools mentioned just above, can be considered as cultish and definitely not mainstream Buddhist. Altho they use the Lotus Sutra as the base, they are not Buddhist.
    So be aware before joining.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @Patr, There can be cults too, but there are forms of Buddhism that are still Buddhism even if they are different from the "meditative" types we're normally concerned with. Nichiren for one is still considered Buddhism, though it emphasizes the Lotus Sutra and uses "chanting" rather than meditation (actually it's using it as a type of meditative exercise).
  • Cloud,
    Actually I have a friend who is really 'awakened' and he saw what Nichiren was worshipping.

Im not talking about whatever you mentioned above, they are very popular in Asia and their practices are quite well known.

Their core deity is A Japanese Samurai warrior spirit. ( A very well kept secret in this perspective). Oh yes, the Lotus Sutra can be used to chant, just as many Asians chant Sutras for their departed and to worship others.

This is very complex to explain, unless you understand the purpose of chanting.

Just as people keep, for example 'kumantung' next to their Buddhist altar, chant and care for it.

Altho they would never admit, in fact, think the overwhelming majority wouldnt even know about this.

Followers who pass muster are given a black box as an altar at home, and theres nothing even remotely Buddhist inside.

Do some research, then we can continue this thread. Actually this is the first time I've mentioned them in such detail.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    'underestimating resistance'

Overestimating resistance is more the case, I think. Or imagining it in the first place.
  • I'm not sure I like the look of Nichiren either. Not sure why, it just feels a little "off" to me somehow.

Not a fan of Goenka, either. I watched a video of him and he talks in this weird slow way. It takes him like 4 minutes to complete a sentence. Usually it's frauds who have to try and make themselves seem mystical, the actual mystics don't bother with woo woo games and weird speech patterns.
  • Resistance is Futile, according to the Mahayana and the Borg. In Tantram or Tantra as it is sometimes known, we take the obstacles as means of propulsion.

Here is a prayer from the YinYana cult, that I was lucky enough to be thrown out of for trying to join . . .

OM HA HUM VAJRA GURU PEMA SIDDHI HUM

MAY ALL BE BLESSED
    BE PRESENT IN LOTUS FORM
    EMBODIED IN LIGHT AND POWER
    BUDDHA METTA RAY
    UNFOLDING DHARMA FROM ALL REALMS
    WE ENABLE VIRTUE
    PLEASE FORTIFY OUR RESOLVE

• RebeccaS said:

I'm not sure I like the look of Nichiren either. Not sure why, it just feels a little "off" to me somehow.

Not a fan of Goenka, either. I watched a video of him and he talks in this weird slow way. It takes him like 4 minutes to complete a sentence. Usually it's frauds who have to try and make themselves seem mystical, the actual mystics don't bother with woo woo games and weird speech patterns.

Some (can't remember) say they speak in their form to give their hearers a taste of (my words) sorta calm still mind.
  • Jeffrey said:

RebeccaS said:

I'm not sure I like the look of Nichiren either. Not sure why, it just feels a little "off" to me somehow.

Some (can't remember) say they speak in their form to give their hearers a taste of (my words) sorta calm still mind.

I think it's spooky. If what he was saying was true and meaningful he wouldn't need to dress it up with weird speech patterns.
  • PatrPatr Veteran

Here is a prayer from the YinYana cult, that I was lucky enough to be thrown out of for trying to join . . .

MAY ALL BE BLESSED
    BE PRESENT IN LOTUS FORM
    EMBODIED IN LIGHT AND POWER
    BUDDHA METTA RAY
    UNFOLDING DHARMA FROM ALL REALMS
    WE ENABLE VIRTUE
    PLEASE FORTIFY OUR RESOLVE

This is very similar to the Guru Rinpoche 7 line prayer invocation.

lobster
  • The audacity - passing on similar chants . . . indeed . . .
    I can only say I was lucky to escape with my sardines . . . :nyah:
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    Most 'cults' do borrow from established and known sutras. Firstly to pass themselves off as legitimate ( akin to using a well known brand ), for sure using Buddha statues would help as well. It wouldnt do any good to make up your own sutras, would it??

Its just false advertisement, but there are loads of them out there, so beware. :orange:
  • RebeccaS said:

Maybe, he has a speech impediment, which is often mistakened for enlightened behavior, lol.
    tmottesoceancaldera207
  • Cannot stress it enough. Read the scriptures, practice alone, make up your own mind. Seek your own interpretations.
    IMO, there are few real sanghas.. however this site is one of them. The diversity of opinion, variance of depth of understanding here makes it a perfect place to be called a sanctuary. No one is left out and there is something for everyone; how often do you truly find that?