Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Heat

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
It's going to be 38 C here today (100 F).

I am planning on working in my office for a bit then, when it gets too hot in here, head for the air conditioning of the lounge room.

Planning on taking my daughter for a swim at the pool in the afternoon........

What's the weather like in your part of the world?

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The Staple weather in England is rain, At the moment it is damp and set to rain. :)
    BunksToshNiwalen
  • Where are you, Bunks? Australia?
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Tosh said:

Where are you, Bunks? Australia?

Yes Tosh - just outside Melbourne.

• Bunks said:

Variable

• It's 2 degrees Celsius in the midwestern USA.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    SE UK here.... we've been land-locked for 3 days now... the river burst its banks, and while we're set quite high, and our residence is above flood level, it's all very wet around us - the car ain't goin' nowhere..! If the summer had been hotter and dryer, the ground might have absorbed more water and the situation might not have been so severe and widespread... but because we had such a lousy year, weather-wise, the ground was already wet from constant poor and 'unseasonal' weather, so the water table is higher.

If they give us any crap about hosepipe bans and drought conditions next year.... :rarr:
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Only 6 more months of rain forcast for Vancouver Canada!
    Jeffrey
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Apparently this delight will soon be joined by snow and ice... we're 5'C away from a quadruple dip recession...
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Oh I'm moving to Australia! This morning when I got up it was 5F, which is -15C. The other day, it was -8F. On Thursday we went to my mom's for holiday dinner and it was 50F, glorious lovely fall day. When we left, it was in the middle of a winter storm. Our seasons changed during dinner, lol, and it's been like that for a week now. Highs in the teens F. and lows near 0F. Brr.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    80 F and sunny. Same as yesterday and the day before and the same as tomorrow and the next. Pretty much that's it. Florida is not that exciting weather wise, unless it's hurricane season, ha!

But this initially comes to mind when thinking of heat and cold, ha!
    The Blue Cliff Record, case 43: Tôzan's Cold and Heat

Case:

A monk asked Tozan, "Cold and heat come. How can we avoid them? Tozan said, "Why don't you go to the place where there is neither cold nor heat?" "What is the place where there is neither cold nor heat?" the monk asked. Tozan said, "When it's cold, kill yourself with cold. When it's hot, kill yourself with heat."
    :)
    Jeffrey
    federica said:

SE UK here.... we've been land-locked for 3 days now... the river burst its banks, and while we're set quite high, and our residence is above flood level, it's all very wet around us - the car ain't goin' nowhere..! If the summer had been hotter and dryer, the ground might have absorbed more water and the situation might not have been so severe and widespread... but because we had such a lousy year, weather-wise, the ground was already wet from constant poor and 'unseasonal' weather, so the water table is higher.

If they give us any crap about hosepipe bans and drought conditions next year.... :rarr:

I must admit that I was always amused when there were water restrictions when I lived in London!!

karasti said:

Oh I'm moving to Australia! This morning when I got up it was 5F, which is -15C. The other day, it was -8F. On Thursday we went to my mom's for holiday dinner and it was 50F, glorious lovely fall day. When we left, it was in the middle of a winter storm. Our seasons changed during dinner, lol, and it's been like that for a week now. Highs in the teens F. and lows near 0F. Brr.

Wow!! That's nippy....coldest it gets where I am is maybe 5 C (40 F) on winter mornings.
    edited November 2012
    We get to about -40F on average a few days a year. However, we've been as cold as -60F, though that was quite a while ago now, in...1996 maybe. Last year we were at -40F one morning, and one of our power station had a failure, so we lost electricity for 7 hours in the middle of the night. No heat for that long kind of sucks, lol. Nights below 0 are common from about now until, oh, mid March maybe.

edit:
    Though after many months of cold, i admit I do complain, overall, I enjoy our vast change of seasons. We have very distinct spring, summer fall and winter, and I really enjoy it. Plus, we have a very busy tourist season, so this time of year is wonderfully quiet and peaceful. It's neat to experience the quiet that happens when the natural world is largely asleep. It gives a necessary down time. But at the same time, more tropical areas enjoy nice weather so much they don't feel the need to pack so much into their nice weather days. For us, our nice weather is so limited we keep very very busy from May-Sept making sure we enjoy it.

My only complaint is our very short growing season. We live in a hardiness zone 2, and have frost from mid Sept until early June. Makes hard growing much of anything but root veggies, and some other things if you get lucky. If you live in a climate like ours, you best find things you enjoy about winter or you end up miserable. I know people like that, and I don't understand why they stay. We love to snowshoe, winter camp, snowboard, etc.
  • wow, karasti. In Michigan we have the great lake michigan to warm the air. But it dumps a lot of 'lake effect' snow on us. Last winter was really mild though. Screwed up the apple crop.
    Where do you live @karasti? I spent a winter in Colorado a few years back. It was -22C (-7 F) one night and it was too cold for me to bare.....it must be seriously cold where you are!!
    I went to school in Duluth, MN on the western tip of Superior, i kind of miss the lake effect snow :) it was neat living next to a lake so large it makes its own weather. From downtown on the lake to the mall on the hill is about 1.5 miles, and one day it was raining downtown, freezing rain in the middle and snowing on the top, lol. Lake effect weather is nuts! But pretty cool when you think about it. I'm a weather nut. It's one of my hobbies.
    I live in far northern Minnesota, just outside of Ely which is about 12 miles from the Canadian border.
    That must be a pretty crazy place to live! Melbourne is pretty dull weather wise. Other Australians bag us out because it's "cold" in winter but compared to you it's nothing (doesn't even snow!)

Yeah but we don't have 100 degree heat, either, LOL.
    It gets hotter than that too at times. We normally get at least 3 or 4 days over summer that top 40 C (104 F).

We get shocking bush fires in though! My mate almost burnt his neighours house down last weekend. He did something a bit silly with his bbq and the hot northerly wind picked up the ashes and burnt his paddock and right up to the front door of his neighbours house!
    We had a big forest fire here a little more than a year ago. It burned from August until it snowed in December. About 15 miles from our house, scary stuff. It's very rare that we top 95. On our hottest days, 85-90 are more normal, and even those are only a few days every summer. 75-82 is about average for late June to early August. Our past several winters have been rather mild, so the abrupt and "early" start to winter this year has been a bit of a shock to us, even though historically it was still late. Usually by Thanksgiving (last week) we have 10 inches of snow.

I have an internet friend who lives in Australia, and I recall him telling me that the "cool" days in the summer were days under 85. I can't imagine! At least in the winter I can just add a sweatshirt and warm socks. You can only take off so much in the heat, lol.
    Bunks
  • I wish I could live in a cold country. Where I live, even winters are hot (over 40 c).
    music said:

I wish I could live in a cold country. Where I live, even winters are hot (over 40 c).

Where do you live mate? The sun?

zombiegirlZerofootiam
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    karasti said:

I went to school in Duluth, MN on the western tip of Superior, i kind of miss the lake effect snow :) it was neat living next to a lake so large it makes its own weather. From downtown on the lake to the mall on the hill is about 1.5 miles, and one day it was raining downtown, freezing rain in the middle and snowing on the top, lol. Lake effect weather is nuts! But pretty cool when you think about it. I'm a weather nut. It's one of my hobbies.

Lake effect. *shivers* I grew up in Western Michigan... I loathe those two words. Actually, I visited family over Thanksgiving up near Ludington (Northwestern MI) and woke up in the middle of the night to an entire blanket of snow. I nearly had a heart attack because I was set to drive home the following day... but naturally, being unpredictable MI, it had nearly all melted by the time I left. A week prior they had been predicting 60F over the holiday. Ha!

Today was chilly. Frost on my windshield, but still just wearing my fall jacket. Just chilly.
  • Bunks said:

That must be a pretty crazy place to live! Melbourne is pretty dull weather wise. Other Australians bag us out because it's "cold" in winter but compared to you it's nothing (doesn't even snow!)

Hot in Melbourne ?! Always raining there IMO - lol. Don't worry folks - the footy season is over so I won't get into the topic which really tends to cause divisions, especially between the states, here in Australia.

Actually the phrase " 4 seaons in one day " was coined with Melbourne in mind when it comes to weather.

Here in South Australia the initial forecast for 40 deg C today was thankfully changed when the cool change arrived early - we only made it to about 35 I think ....

Bunks
  • 35 degrees Fahrenheit. A little snow on the ground, not too much. We're statistically due for a terrible winter soon. Not sure if it'l be this year, but all the signs that a harsh and cold winter is coming are there. The signs you have to know to look for, the ones that all the technology in the world can't see.
    I think this winter, for us, is going to be much more normal. We've had many mild winters over the past 10-15 years, none of them like the winters I grew up with as a kid and teenager. I think this year will be closer to what I was used to. Winter from November to April instead of mid December until March. I think it's going to be a cold, and snowy, winter. We've been stuck in a cooler than normal pattern since late August. At least we'll be able to go skiing and snowshoeing. Last year we didn't have enough snow to snowshoe until March, and then the ice started melting, lol.

Though, I did live in Fargo for 10 years, and went through a lot of hellish winters and spring floods. Their average snowfall is closer to 50 inches, and several years we had 70+ inches including one winter of 120+ inches. Here, winter is gorgeous, and fun, even if it's cold. In Fargo it is just a desolate wasteland. You can't have fun when the windchill is -50F all the time and the snow piles in 6 foot drifts because of the wind. Ick.
  • It looks like it is going to rain here today.
    Same.....
  • Sunny, low to mid 80s here. A nice rainy day would be a treat. I'm on Maui.
    Kangaroo said:

Sunny, low to mid 80s here. A nice rainy day would be a treat. I'm on Maui.

I thought you would be from Australia @Kangaroo
    ;)
    Jeffrey
  • Bunks said:

It's going to be 38 C here today (100 F).

Cooee southern neighbour, I'm a day late but can report and achingly beautiful, cloudless blue sky, 30º with a delicious NNE breeze and low humidity. As the line says... Beautiful one day, perfect the next.
    Bunks
  • It's 4.39 am, and for various practical reasons I'm just about to start a 22 mile run; I've a marathon next month; and looking outside my window it looks cold. All the cars are white with frost.

I'm leaving at 5.00 am and sunrise is at 7.55 am, according to the interweb and I reckon it'll take about 4 hours to run the 22 miles comfortably (yeh, I'm slow). I'm quite looking forward to seeing it though, I don't think I've set off running in the dark to see the sun rise before. I hope I'm not to knackered to enjoy it.
    JeffreyBunks
    edited November 2012
    Enjoy your run!
    It's almost 11pm here, and it's 28F, which is a heatwave compared to the past week. But we have a chance of freezing rain overnight, which will make for fun driving to my Sangha meeting tomorrow morning!
    It's interesting to me that in summer, your sunrise is so late. Is it always late, or are you opposite us in the northern hemisphere, with more sunlight in the winter season (for you)? Here, right now, it gets dark around 4:40pm and the sun doesn't come up until close to 8am. In the summer though, we have some light until close to 11pm and the sun comes up at 4am!
    Tosh is in the UK @karasti so he has the same seasons as you. It will be pretty cold there (not as cold as Minnesota though I suspect!)

It is obviously the exact opposite for us in the land down under. First day of summer here today and it's probably about 80 F. Very nice day. I just got attacked with a water hose by the young guy next door while I was out the front (cheeky little bugger!) :)

We don't get the extremes in sunlight hours as you guys do down here as we are closer to the equator......I remember being in Scotland many years ago in summer and we were drinking in a beer garden at 11pm and it was still daylight!! I couldn't believe it.