Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Guru Stolen

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited December 2012 in General Banter
Somebody stole the picture of my Guru. He was a great teacher until one of his students ate him. I blame the shark.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060708033016/http://pages.britishlibrary.net/edjason/alchemy/ollioctopus.html

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    "Stealing?" shouted the Lobster, flicking his body into motion and waving his claws in consternation. He was turning a familiar shade of pinky red.
    lobster
  • You are right it was not the shark. I ate Guru Ollie. :bawl:

I am gonna come back in my next life as a fish, I just knows it . . .
  • A question ... is it possible to make a mistake deliberately? I know it is possible to chose an action or type of behaviour which we know isn't the best way forward possible but one that we think we can get away with for our own happiness or benefit in some way. I am not asking as a semantic riddle or to get into a discussion about theoretical understandings ( ho hum :coffee: ), rather that we can excuse ourselves and kid ourselves even when we know ...
  • Yes, volitional intent for good or bad has consequences. When we operate beyond the limitations of previous necessary moral training, we are not concerned with right and wrong but skilful, which becomes the right rite to practice.
    For example every time someone opens their mouth and spouts dharma, on one level they are lying. Right Speech = silence . . .
  • To use your example spouting dharma is not skilful, opening our mouth to share experience is human relating .... Pushing other individuals buttons is immature human relating .... Immaturity does mean awareness of the action though
    lobster
  • We all push buttons. We all relate. We are all immature or raw. How do we push peoples buttons towards inspiration? How do we relate in a way that adds impetus to the far shore? How do we embody skilful and wise means?

Most of us are extremely child like in our commitment to dharma. We know what is required and why but instead we play while the world needs Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, helpers, carers, people countering the kali yuga. In a sense we have all deliberately colluded in a spiitual or mundane snooze, we have allowed our inner guru to be stolen . . . or maybe that is just me . . .
    Jeffrey
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Maybe .... the words of Schopenhauer come to mind -
    We often take the limits of our own vision for the limits of the world.

• :orange: