Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Brahma Viharas

CittaCitta Veteran
edited December 2012 in Buddhism Basics
The name Brahma Viharas mean literally " The abode of the gods " and is one of the most ancient practices within Buddhadharma.

They are four in number, their names are in Pali;
Metta
Karuna
Mudita and
Upekkha.
Metta is probably the best known...it means "loving friendliness." there are a whole raft of practices called Metta Bhavana which are specific to raising metta within our hearts.
Karuna means "compassion " and again there are practices that lead to an increase in feelings of compassion.
Mudita means taking pleasure in the positive achievements of others..literally " sympathetic joy ".
Upekkha means " detachment " not preferring any situation over another..NB it does not mean "indifference ".

Upekkaha underpins the other Brahma Viharas...without Upekkha;

Metta becomes emotional attachment and sentimentality.

Karuna becomes over identification with the object of compassion.

Mudita becomes a vicarious pleasure that is appropriated into the self sense.

On the other hand Upekkha alone quickly becomes indifference, coldness.

So, they all hang together and are developed simultaneously.
This is best done with hands-on teaching, but there is a lot of material on the web.
VastmindJeffreymaarten

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Hands on? Developed?
    I like where you are going with this...
    Could you expand by giving 1 or 2 situations,
    and how each/all of these are applicable and the
    frame for them? I know the near enemy and far enemy
    of them...but I need some digestion aid.

In the workplace? In the householder place?
    How does one deal/notice with them 'hanging' together?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    To start with your last point first..it is perhaps more easily seen in its absence...to attempt to act with karuna ( compassion ) without upekkha (detached equanimity ) makes us vulnerable to simply emoting. Or if we attempt to act in a way that is filled with metta but without upekkha we are vulnerable to projecting ourselves into the situation...it is actually ourselves that we are sending metta to.
    Upekkha provides the platform that we can safely send metta from, or act out of karuna ( compassion ) from. Or take joy in the joy of others from.
    We need therefore to develop equanimity as our default mindset.
    It is not that we are indifferent...far from it. But we act without tipping the outcome in our own favour..we see clearly what is the case.
    For example,
    We see someone fall into the river, they are struggling in a strong current...
    Upekkha without metta or karuna might have us simply watching...from the bank.
    The other extreme karuna without upekkha might see us jumping into the water with them..whereupon there are two strugglers in the current.
    So instead of detachment on the one hand or emotional over identification on the other hand, with one arm we anchor ourselves to a tree ( upekkha )..we then reach down with the other hand towards the person struggling...( karuna )...
    edited December 2012
    Understood. ^^^ That was an expansion of the
    listed 4.
    Im just not around that scene very often.
    Riverbank...someone falling in.
    This is where 'Modern' turns it's ugly
    head...haha
    May I have another example?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Actually I live by the river..which probably prompted that metaphor...
    For river read any situation that tends to swamp us and sweep us away...
    Anger...falling in love...fearfulness...aversion...overwhelming attraction..etc.
    We need to reach out to the person concerned ,,but firmly anchor ourselves in upekkha... equanimity. This happens by practice, strange as it might seem.
    edited December 2012
    Reaching out to others without getting caught up
    in any of their mess and keep from letting them
    create mess for you by practicing the firm stand on
    your own foundation.
    Seems simple enough.
    Oh....and don't get swept away by my own
    messes, right?
  • In theory.
    ...tricky in practice...it needs constant work not to get caught up in stuff on the one hand or becoming indifferent on the other. .
    ^^^^ So true! I think for everyone.
    Walking the tight rope of dealing with suffering and
    all the messy details behind it.

Gratitude for the exchange. :)
  • Me too...
  • Upekkha is not a "normal" state. Before you must do a hard works in sensation : plaisant/neutral/unplaisant and deaply understand this sensations. if you succed, sensation disappear. So before you need to be in samatha for this notation and pass throuth sensation, this is vipassana. Don't forget that in upekkha only sensations disappears not perception.
  • Certainly upekkha is not our usual condition...it is the fruit of hard work..
    It takes a lot of effort to stay put.
  • Didn't John Lennon sing "all we need is upekka"? Or was that Paul McCartney?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    These training are all available within the Lamrim and there is a special presentation of them in Lojong instructions.

For Happiness cherish others !
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    caz said:

For Happiness cherish others !

Yes, I remember the "dangers of self cherishing". ;)
    caz
  • Thanks for bringing up this topic, as this has been my recent meditation focus (or more honestly, my inconsistent attempt at meditation). Since I don't have a teacher, I am a little lost with utilizing a meditation method. (So sorry for any naiveté on my part - and am a little confused on how to piece everything together)
    You mentioned the Lojong instructions - they seem pretty involved and complicated to me (although very insightful), in the sense it seems kind of overwhelming to keep all that stuff (59 slogans) in mind while meditating. And so how would one incorporate this into a meditation method - or am I misunderstanding? Or would this just be something to study and be mindful of?
    Right now I've been focusing on the Metta Sutta - reading the Metta, then starting my mediation, focusing on self-forgiveness so that I can forgive others and experience loving kindness and repeating stuff like "may all beings be at ease," "may i forgive myself," "may i forgive others," etc. I keep it quite simple. Is there a more effective way to meditate on Metta?
    Cole_
  • I think thats an excellent practice that will be of great benefit to you and others.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Daiva said:

Right now I've been focusing on the Metta Sutta - reading the Metta, then starting my mediation, focusing on self-forgiveness so that I can forgive others and experience loving kindness and repeating stuff like "may all beings be at ease," "may i forgive myself," "may i forgive others," etc. I keep it quite simple. Is there a more effective way to meditate on Metta?

A lot people seem to use phrases of this type. The ones I'm familiar with are "May I well be well, may I be happy, may I free from suffering" but there are many variations.
    I think the metta practice starts with acceptance and kindness towards oneself, and then radiates outwards.
    There are alternative approaches, eg remembering a special place or time where you were very happy.
    Generally I'd recommend being creative with the metta practice, make it your own.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @Daiva, the lojong slogans are contemplated. I am not aware of using them in meditation. Actually most of the nyingma and kagyu students of lojong do shamata-vipashyana meditation where you do not analyze a riddle or topic or whatever. That's as far as I know.

I know of two good books on lojong by Trungpa Rinpoche, Training the Mind. And by his student, Pema Chodron, Start Where You Are.

Meditation is more relaxing and letting go. Contemplation is a little more forceful hammering away at those stubborn little ole delusions.
    Daiva
  • Don't forget that Metta is a force that you can feel really and produce with your heart. When 'you focus on it, the force grown up. This is samadhi object.
    Daiva
  • Thank you everyone, I ordered the books you suggested and hope to be able to better focus on the Brahma Viharas. It is ironic that this thread started when I just started to have questions about it - so thank you Citta. This has been very helpful for me.
  • Glad to be of help Daiva.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Daiva said:

You might find these two talks helpful: Metta Meditation and Metta Means Goodwill.
    Daiva